Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Hi friends, looking for feedback on my currently proposed build

The last real build I did before this was a core2duo-based HTPC that i put together in 2007 which I finally retired last year. Gettin' the itch again to build something new, primarily for DJ (and possibly gaming) streaming as my various macbooks pro laying around can do it, but not very well. Also looking to get back into PC gaming in general, as the last time i did that was seriously like 1999 (Starcraft, Quake 2). Also would be nice to have a more powerful machine for video/audio editing and general computing tasks. So yeah, midlife crisis machine

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Streaming, gaming, video/audio editing
What's your budget? Flexible, shooting for under $2k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I just picked up a dell 3220dgf so would be looking at 1440p as my target resolution for any games at as high of a quality and framerate as I can manage

I'm specifically doing a mATX build so that its a smaller footprint and semi-portable. Looking to keep it simple and unobtrusive, no RGBs, not planning to overclock so i'm sticking with air cooling but trying to get high quality fans that i can run relatively quiet. My house is wired everywhere it matters so no need for a wifi mobo

Right now I have the 3800X as a CPU place-holder, kinda waiting to see what happens when the Zen3s are actually available. I would probably swap with a 5700X or 5800X if the benchmarks seem to indicate the higher price is worth it.

For the GPU I'm currently planning to shoot for a RTX 3070 if I can get one so that is a placeholder here as well, but also waiting to see what happens with the big navi announcement.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB DUAL Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($24.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($24.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1100.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 01:06 EDT-0400

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

The most performance intensive task i do on my PC is culling and editing photos with Adobe Lightroom. Up until recently i ran LR off an SSD and the photos themselves off a 5400 RPM HDD.
I was running desperately low on storage space so i ended up buying a Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2.
I moved my photos to the M.2.

While LR was running somewhat slow in the past it did not bog down my pc but now LR is almost unusable. Everything on my pc grinds to a halt, i cant run anything else except LR if i want to do anything in LR. Youtube videos play sound but the video stands still, games will stutter to uselessness.
I have been using this pc the same way for years (e.g. gaming on monitor 1, youtube or movies on monitor 2, and doing stuff in LR while waiting for things to happen in games in the case of MMOs). Nothing has changed on my pc lately except installing the M.2 and moving photos to it.
I instantly noticed the PC behaving differently but i find it strange that the M.2 is the cause of this.

What could be the issue here?

What motherboard/chipset? Sounds like the m.2 slot and the sata port are sharing a PCI lane

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

motherboard is ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming, Socket-1151
Chipset is the Z270 part of the name iirc?

How do i know if they are sharing a PCI lane?
I tried reading the manual but can't find anything warning against this, but im not really sure what i am looking for either

I didn't see anything obvious in the manual either. As an experiment you could see if swapping the SATA port or M.2 port you have devices plugged into makes any difference? Process of elimination

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

Hi friends, looking for feedback on my currently proposed build

Following up on this. Last week, I ended up pulling the trigger on everything but the CPU and GPU based on some deals that were available. I was convinced to move up from mATX to regular ATX when I realized the case size difference was only about 1" - I ended up getting the red version of the RAM as it had a higher discount on newegg. It isn't currently listed in PCPP but otherwise it is identical. The CPU cooler is technically out of stock but Amazon says it is still getting delivered wednesday and it was only $10 than the ugly brown version.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $540.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-25 12:44 EDT-0400

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm having a really tough time figuring out which motherboard to pull the trigger on. I'm going to be building an RTX 3070/5600x combo over the next month and I'm getting tripped up on the choices between X570 and and B550. The X570 I'm linking presumably does everything I want but for only $25 more there is a ROG Strix B550 (which seems to have a better reputation for gaming) which is newer and thus has newer features like Wi-Fi 6 (that I admittedly won't be using yet).

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) at $180
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B07SXF8GY3

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming at $205
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B550-F-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088VSTS9H/ref=psdc_1048424_t1_B07SXFK1TP

My use case is strictly gaming, flat at 1440p/144hz and VR with Quest 2 over link

B550 is a newer chipset compared to the X570. This guide covers the differences pretty well but the main thing you get with X570 is additional PCIe 4.0 from the chipset, whereas on the B550 you only get it from the CPU. So unless you are planning on running multiple PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives, the B550 is probably a better option (or at least this is the logic I followed with the build I just ordered).

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Pedialyte posted:

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the remaining parts for my Ryzen 5600x build. I still am stuck when it comes to the motherboard despite keeping up with this thread - there are so many b550 options and I cannot tell them apart. Is there any consensus right now? I don't mind spending a bit more to ensure I have a solid board for the long-haul - I don't upgrade often. The couple I have been seeing a lot and are on my list at the moment:

Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Gigabyte?

Also, I have an old Cooler Master Hyper 212 that is currently on my current 2500k - is that better to reuse on this CPU or should I go with the included heatsink/fan?

Here is what I am looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Newegg - Is this speed ideal? I know nothing about RAM timings etc.)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($729.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg - It sounds like they are announcing something on Wednesday 11/11 so I may wait and see...)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1292.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-09 18:35 EST-0500

--
In the US, mainly just using for games / web / Plex server. I am near a Microcenter.
Flexible budget - future proofing is valuable for me.
I need a new monitor - probably 1440p but I play most games on my connected 4k HDR tv. I like good image quality and 60fps for what that is worth. No idea when the 3080 will be available so I will likely just stick with my 1070 (or use the onboard GPU just to get by?) until I can purchase one.

I just completed a ryzen 5800x build with the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS and I’m completely happy with it so far

Also you only get onboard video if provided by the CPU (ie one of the ryzen chips ending in G) so you’re going to have to use the 1070

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

Following up on this. Last week, I ended up pulling the trigger on everything but the CPU and GPU based on some deals that were available. I was convinced to move up from mATX to regular ATX when I realized the case size difference was only about 1" - I ended up getting the red version of the RAM as it had a higher discount on newegg. It isn't currently listed in PCPP but otherwise it is identical. The CPU cooler is technically out of stock but Amazon says it is still getting delivered wednesday and it was only $10 than the ugly brown version.

After getting lucky scoring an RTX 3070 off a Newegg drop in October, and being able to waltz down to Micro Center and get a 5800x on Zen3 launch day, I was able to finish sourcing all my parts. I completed the build last weekend and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The machine has handled everything I've thrown at it so far, but admittedly I haven't had a whole lot of free time to really do a lot with it yet.

Working in the Meshify case was a joy, honestly. It's such a far cry from the cases I used to work with in the long-long ago where cable management was non-existent. It looks clean, and I was able to fit the second Noctua cooler on top of the RAM and still close the tempered glass side panel.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/s8Xv6h

I love the way it looks mounted underneath my sit/stand desk

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Neat setup. What are you using to mount it to your desk like that? I'd like to get a sit/stand desk eventually and this seems like a decent way to do it.

It’s this mount from Monoprice. They have models with rigid arms as well, but this was the only one that could accommodate the Meshify C’s width.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34540

I spent more time figuring out the orientation of the mounts and straps than I did actually mounting it

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Nice. I definitely recommend the noctua heatsink covers for the DH-15 by the way. They look really nice.

https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/heatsink-covers

Also, the 'red with black' kit actually comes with a swappable inlay color strip with different color strip options.

And here's about what your system would look like with the same meshify c case and gray case fans, but with black chromax covers:

Here's how mine with the meshify c white turned out after I initially assembled it. (Before I got to cable management and added the chromax front fans.)

The thing looks fantastically professional sitting on my desk while I get work done. I might make some additional aesthetic tweaks later on like LED strips to light the interior or swap in a zebra striped cable for the thermaltake power supply.

Also - what under-desk sling are you using. I've been interested in possibly getting one of those to free up desk surface space.

Your build looks great with the covers! Might have to pick some of them up to match the color of the RTX Vision in my build for a bit more uniformity.

The under-desk mount is this one from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34540

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Chatrapati posted:

Thanks for your help everyone, I have my computer all built up now, though I am having a problem-
The graphics card does not have a vga port meaning it can't be plugged into my old monitor; it isn't a massive problem for now, as I can just buy an adaptor, but while I was testing out the machine to see if it worked, a little red light popped up on the board next the words "VGA". Now I'm hoping this is because the graphics card isn't plugged into anything. Could that be the case, or is it more likely there is something wrong with the card? It seems to be powered as the fans are turning around, but perhaps it could be a pins problem? :s

How old is this monitor? VGA stopped being the standard for interconnects a long time ago

You can’t use a simple adaptor to plug it in as it requires active conversion to go from digital (DisplayPort or HDMI) to analog (VGA). For the price of an active conversion box, you could just buy a new monitor. 1080p 60hz monitors in the 21” range can be had for less than $100

quote:

You are mistaken FreeKillB. New technology is amazingly useful. All these little lights telling me what I've done wrong!

I believe the VGA light on your mobo is telling you that it detected a video card is installed, you just don’t have anything to hook it up to right now. In this case, VGA is being used as shorthand for “video card” and has nothing to do with the interconnect (confusing, I know)

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 17, 2020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mackieman posted:

And I just got a 5800X on Amazon. Clearly these were prescient posts, heh.

I just completed my build with a 5800x using an Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 board and it’s working great. BIOS flashing prior to installing the CPU was a piece of cake

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Nifty, that's one I was looking at. Do you perchance have a link to the flashing instructions you followed?

Here’s the online guide, but the manual included with the mobo covers it as well:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

The only tricky bit for me was having a friend w a windows machine run their bios file renaming utility for me, as I only had access to Macs and my windows VM was not booting. Once I had the correctly named file, I put it on a fat32 formatted flash drive, plugged it in the specific slot, pressed the flashback button, and then waited 5 mins for the light to stop blinking. That was it. I did not have any peripherals installed into the mobo, it was just the bare board plugged into the PSU

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/795045015

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 17, 2020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

D1Sergo posted:

What do y'all think of this motherboard? https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus/p/N82E16813119313?Item=N82E16813119313 got it bundled with a TUF 3080 gpu. I was thinking of keeping it since I wanted a B550 board anyways, but is this the one I want? Is there a better B550?

I have this board in my build and I’m very happy with it

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Optikalusion posted:

Thanks for the tips, tried all this again, unfortunately no change. Flashed it 7 times now with a number of different sticks and it just won’t proceed beyond cpu error light. Ordering a different motherboard now and hoping it’s not the processor.

Silly question, but were you attempting to flash the board with the CPU installed, or not? Depending on the mobo it might need to be one way or the other

In the case of my Asus, I did the flash with nothing installed in the board, and only power connected

Edit: to clarify I had to flash my B550 board for my 5800x as it was a brand new build.

I would also double-check the naming of the bios file is correct (Asus supplies a renamer utility that literally just renames the downloaded file based on the board). Also ensure that you are formatting the flash drive as FAT32, and make sure you are using the correct specific USB slot for the flashing function. Probably also want to ensure you don’t have any other USB peripherals plugged in either.

Another thought: do you have access to a zen2 CPU at all that you could borrow and install in your build? That would be one way to confirm if the mobo is bad, and if not, a way to work around the bios flashing troubles

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 20, 2020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Hoping for an answer for this again, except that the 650W is no longer on offer, so I'd have to settle for a 750W. Good? Bad?
https://www.komplett.no/product/1135157/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning/enheter/cooler-master-mwe-bronze-v2-750w

750W is fine for a 3080. Better to have the extra headroom although 650W would have likely been adequate if you aren’t doing any overclocking.

General wisdom is to go for a gold-rated PSU or better, no idea how that bronze-rated PSU stacks up

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Does windows 7/8/10 impact hardware performance? I’m planning on using an iso 8 because 10 seems far less mature given the size and scale of the fixes recently. Don’t really care about the specifics of the operating system so long as I can use bit locker since I’ll probably be doing everything besides games inside virtual machines or a Linux partition.

Windows 10 is fine. Mainstream support for windows 8 ended at the beginning of 2018 and windows 7 has been EOL for a long time

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Depressing Box posted:

Thanks to advice from this thread, I was able to complete my first PC build, and in general everything's been running great! One issue starting popping up in the last week or so, though, and I'm not sure if it's serious or not.

Occasionally (once, maybe twice a week) while playing a game, it'll suddenly quit out with a "D3D DEVICE HAS BEEN REMOVED" error. Afterwards everything can be restarted normally, and it generally doesn't happen multiple times in a row. The exception is Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which seems to semi-regularly trigger the issue when running around Canterbury.

For context, here's one of the logs from the Event Viewer:
pre:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Display
Date:          11/27/2020 11:13:30 PM
Event ID:      4101
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Lightbox
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
I'm a little worried, as the explanations I've seen range from new card quirks (RTX 3070) that'll be fixed in newer NVIDIA drivers, to a faulty GPU/motherboard. Is there a way to better diagnose the issue?

In addition to Kingnothing’s suggestion, you may also want to check and make sure that the card is properly seated in the PCIe slot

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I put together a new PC last night but I'm having trouble getting it to POST.

It's a 5600X in an MSI PRO-VDH WIFI and I'm using my (elderly) R7 265 graphics card until I can get my hands on something fun. When I start it, the EZ Debug LEDs flash (typically CPU, RAM, CPU again, VGA, then Boot) and then it settles to having just the Boot LED lit. My monitor does not detect any input. Both monitor and graphics card were connected to my previous PC, so they were working a day ago.

I've tried it with a fresh M.2 drive, a 2.5" with Windows already installed, and a flash drive with Windows PE on it to the same result. I've also reseated everything I can think of except the CPU itself. I've also tried clearing the CMOS.

When I flashed the BIOS (prior to putting anything together), the associated LED flashed several times (I think 10) before turning off. In total it lasted a few seconds, not a few minutes, though I did leave it for a while (tens of minutes) before continuing.

Have I hosed up? Help I am not good with computer.

It honestly sounds like the BIOS flash did not take and as a result it can’t handle the Zen3 CPU.

I can’t speak for the MSI board’s flashback behavior from personal experience, but you might want to double-check in the manual as to what the light sequence should be during the process. On my Asus, the LED was on solidly for 5 mins while it flashed, and then turned off when it was done. Also double-check the format of the flash drive (FAT32), the correct naming of the BIOS file, and that you put the flash drive in the correct USB port.

If you still can’t get the flashback BIOS update working, you might want to consider tracking down/borrowing a Zen2 CPU long enough to confirm the mobo itself isn’t bad and to maybe try a non-flashback BIOS update instead.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

infraboy posted:

Does anyone have the link to the discord for when CPU/GPUs get stocked? Didnt see one in the OP or anything

This is the one I used: https://discord.gg/hgdqVg4z

The other one I’m not in but I believe it’s simply called “stock drops”

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

So here's what I'm looking at now. Everything seems to look compatible? Just wondering if i might be overlooking something...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ B&H)
Total: $789.90

Hoping to pull the trigger on this soon. Will be using my old geforce gtx950 gpu and storage drives from the dead rig (assuming the psu didn't fry everything) in the meantime until I can send a few hundred more bucks after the holidays.

Mostly wondering if there are any less expensive cpus I should consider. Thanks thread

That is an inflated price for a 3600X, but supplies on it have become suddenly limited as people struggle to land a Zen3

If you can find a non-reseller it should be possible to get for $250.

A plain 3600 would be a better choice but they are even harder to find due to having the best performance for the dollar at normal retail price of $200. My local microcenter had them discounted down to $180 and they are now out of stock

If you are looking to save a bit of money on other parts of the build, you might consider going for a B550 mobo instead of an X570. Unless you intend to run multiple PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives, a B550 will suit you fine

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Seriously, given your specific requirements, your best option is to just get a NAS. The Synology models are a piece of cake to set up, easy to administer, and will work with windows file sharing as well as Mac (I use mine for both)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

MSI PRO B550M.
No fan spin-up and no LEDs going. I checked the PSU independently and it's fine. It could be a number of things but I was stressed out when I built it and won't be able to get to it till tomorrow.

Have you tried turning it on by shorting the pins directly (ie with a flathead screwdriver)

Just press the screwdriver against the two pins marked power for a few seconds long enough to make a connection. It will at least rule out of maybe your case power switch is bad

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Boxman posted:

The rear exhaust fan on my old (for the hobby) NZXT S340 is starting to fail; it makes an unfortunate noise when it spins up. Suggestions on a non-RGB 120mm case fan that's in stock right this second, since i don't want to be without a fan if this thing stops spinning tomorrow. I just blew a lot of money on the GPU, so I'd prefer to stay at the "sweet spot" price point rather than "really nice."

Or are these sub-$20 things basically commodities?

Looks like the plain brown Noctua fans are in stock directly on Newegg. The redux and chromax black ones appear to be getting scalped however, which is just loving bonkers

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-f1...2802-_-12052020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

Well, I have everything but a GPU (still flailing at discords) so I decided to just do the build. Everything all hooked up, no POST. The 'CPU' debug LED lights and the fans go, but nothing else.

I've flashed the BIOS about 8 times now, using the most through third most recent BIOS version on the manufacturer site. BIOS flash seems to work, the LED on the flash drive and on the read panel blink for ~5 mins then the system reboots itself, but still nothing but the CPU LED. The first time I flashed it I had everything plugged in, but since then I've taken out all the RAM, disconnected everything including the CPU itself, still same behavior. Reset CMOS too.

I'm assuming that I should be getting something besides this even without a GPU plugged in? I know it has no onboard video, but the debug LED going steady no matter what seems like a bad sign to me.

Anything else to try? I was already not 100% happy with this mobo but it came in a combo with the CPU so I figured why not. Return and swap? Some other magic I'm not thinking of?

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: 3070 or 80 that I do not actually have yet.
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $2397.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-05 18:32 EST-0500

You need to flash it with literally nothing connected but the PSU. Remove the RAM, CPU, GPU, everything

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Samadhi posted:

Temperature question, since it's been ~7 years since my last build, and I didn't pay close attention to temperature for that computer:

I have a AMD 5800X with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler for it. The case is a Phanteks P600 Eclipse with the stock fans that come with the case, 2 intake on the front and 1 exhaust.

At idle, the CPU temperature is around 33-35º C, and I installed Folding@Home to run the computer to run everything at load for testing/contributing to the good of humanity. At the "Medium" folding setting, it pegs all 8 cores at the max frequency so it seems to be a pretty good load indicator.

The CPU temp peaks at around 90º C when under load, and the GPU at 65ºC. When I stop the folding, the CPU will drop down to 40º C in less than 10 seconds, so it seams the NH-D15 is working well, but is 90º C under full load high?

Should I look at replacing the fans with 140mm Noctuas just for better fans, and/or adding more fans (3 intake, 2 exhaust)?

I have the same CPU and cooler and have never pushed the CPU temp higher than about 75 C under load (prime95 torture test). I’m using Noctua redux 1700 fans in a 2x140 intake and 1x120 exhaust configuration in a Meshify C so I think it’s worth a shot for you. I’m running the “optimized” fan curves in my Asus bios, and each fan is plugged into its own header (including both DH15 fans since my mobo has two cpu fan headers)

My ambient temp is pretty low tho (20 C) so I’m sure that helps

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 6, 2020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Samadhi posted:

What does your fan curve look like?

I clicked the "optimize" button in the Asus BIOS, which generated this fan curve. It's not too far off from the default, as far as I can tell. It ramps to 100% at 70 C:

e: now i'm kinda curious to see what my thermals would look like with the quiet fan curve enabled. might test that out tomorrow just for kicks

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 6, 2020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Done. I’m so exited but after a 13 hour day plus 4 hours of loving around with hardware plus figuring out how to hack together a bootable usb in mac I’m wiped. Gonna go to sleep and hopefully see a windows install in the morning. Will post pics later!

:toot:

Getting a working bootable USB built on a Mac was the biggest pain in the rear end for my build as I didn’t readily have access to any windows machines (and my vm wasn’t working).

I had to tinker with bios compatibility modes but I did get a fully functional UEFI install done in the end

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

AzureSkys posted:

This waiting for stock drops week after week, getting there immediately, going through checkout only to have it fail when you click the final purchase confirmation isn't good for mental health.

Set up one-touch payments with Apple Pay with mobile apps if you can. That’s how I snagged my 3070 day after launch via the Newegg app

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

I've been keeping an eye on the ATR stock notifications while hunting for a 3070 (which I finally managed to order the other day). The 5900x and 5950x seem have the least frequent drops, followed by the 5600x. The 5800x actually seems to be getting the most frequent stock notifications, and is incidentally also the only one that seems to ever have any active third party listings on amazon.

Kinda getting the feeling that AMD's just pumping out the 5800x in (relative) quantity to make that sweet margin while they can.

The fab output quality might just be good enough that they are binning a lot more intact 8-core CCXs used in the 5800x versus the 6-out-of-8-core CCXs used in the 5600x and the 5900x

And yeah it is definitely higher margin

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

flip the switch on the PSU. :)

I’m sure others might have read this as a smart-assed response, but this was literally me when I was trying to flash my bios and nothing was happening. Because I didn’t actually turn on the PSU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ShowTime posted:

My 5600x that I ordered a week ago with a shipping estimate of late January got moved up to arriving this Tuesday. Today I managed to snag a 5800x, but have heard so many issues about how hot the 5800x runs that I almost don't want to use it. Ideally, I want a 5950x. Has anyone actually used a 5800x? Should I just use the 5600x until I can get a 5950x? It seems so strange to use a 5600x with a 3090, but I guess it would only be temporary.

edit: I managed to grab another 5600x tonight just hanging out in Discord and it's up for grabs. If I decide not to use the 5800x, it's also up for grabs. These haven't shipped yet but will in January. They are both available for cost. All you pay is PayPal fees and shipping. I've sold a 3060ti and a 3070 for similar rates. I grab stuff as it pops up now and sell it to goons. It feels good to grab stuff before bots do and this thread has helped me so much that it feels fair to pass up deals to people that can't hang out in Discord all day, but are still here to provide me with all the tech and building info I don't know myself.

The 5600 is $300 + fees + shipping.
The 5800 is $450 + fees + shipping.

Message me if you would like either. I'm located in 28405 and you can estimate shipping via the USPS website.

The 5800 runs hotter than the 5600 as it has a higher TDP, but it’s fine as long as you have a decently good cooler.

Mine runs at around 65 C under extreme load (prime95 torture) with a Noctua NH-D15 but under normal load it’s a lot lower and idles around 35 C

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

credburn posted:

Hey gang!

My hardware understanding sort of peaked in 2006 and has stagnated ever since. Five years ago my cousin gave me a list of computer parts, I bought them and built this PC and it's served me really well. But sad me, a good friend bought me Cyberpunk, but is a cyberdunk, if you know what I mean. My question is: do I need to know much about my motherboard/processor/RAM compatibility if I want to upgrade the video card? Like, if I want to use that fancy raytracing technology, do I also need some specific CPU? Uh, and second question: I want a video card what's a good video card for like five hundred bux or less.

I hope I'm not being too annoying. I've really tried to do my own research but I'm overwhelmed with finnicky numbers bullshit and a lot of people speak in shorthand for things I don't have the context for :\

Can you share the details of your current build?Ray tracing is heavily GPU dependent, but the rest of your build matters too.

Regardless, a short answer: at a minimum you will need to get a 3000-series NVidia card, which are in crazy short supply at the moment and likely for the next few months at least. At your price point the best you will be able to do is a 3060Ti, although a 3070 would be better if you can stretch the budget a bit.

Read the last few pages of this thread to learn about the supply issues, and for tips on how to land a card via stock-watching discord servers

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Missionary Positron posted:

What's a decent CPU aftermarket cooler to pair with a Ryzen 5x00? I've been looking at a the Noctua NH-D15, and it seems to be a perfect fit (quiet, efficient) but it's pretty pricey in my country.

Are there any decent cheaper alternatives or should I just bite the bullet and get the Noctua?

The DH15 is an incredible cooler, but yes it is expensive and can be hard to find. With this cooler, I’ve never seen my 5800x go above 60-65 C under load

I’ve seen the cooler master 212 mentioned here multiple times as a cheaper alternative

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SoR Blaze posted:

All the parts for my new pc finally came, and I have it mostly assembled. I'm a little nervous to turn it on though, is it possible to gently caress up any of the components if I've hooked them up to the PSU incorrectly somehow? What if one of the components isn't hooked up at all (I think they are but I might be missing something and I don't want to mess this up)

Nope. Everything is keyed to only plug in one way. If something is not plugged in at all, it won’t get power, simple as that

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SoR Blaze posted:

That's what I figured, but as a first timer I'm a little nervous. Thanks for clarifying!

If for some reason it doesn’t boot or POST, don’t panic, this thread can help you through troubleshooting

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I've got my new 5600x and I'm trying to figure out what ram to use. I've got two pairs of 8GB 3000 CL15 Corsair Vengeance LTX sticks, but I just found out that the one pair is Micron dual rank, and the other is Samsung single rank. I've bought a pair of 16GB 3200 CL16 (same brand). Should I keep the old ram or use the new kit? I'd probably want to try overclocking a bit.

Prevailing wisdom is that for four sticks, you are better off getting a single kit than trying to mix and match two different pairs. It will _probably_ work but you might run into weirdness with timings, which could lead to stability issues

If you are trying to get to 32GB, you might as well just get a 2x16 kit. Average going price for the G.skill 3200 CL16 kit has been hovering around $110 USD

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Vagabong posted:

What's the best way to browse for 3000 series GPU stock as a brit? I'm in a couple of alert discords, is there anything else I should be doing?

Your best bet is probably to set up your own tracker for the retailer(s) you know that are reputable with something like distill.io

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Vagabong posted:

Thanks mate, I'd been looking for days and managed to bag one just today.

:nice:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

You can also get a WD Black 750 1TB at that price point currently on sale on Newegg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Ammanas posted:

I am pretty bewildered by the variety of products and names and pricing but want to upgrade my 8 year old pc. im shooting for cyberpunk at 1080 at 30fps at high and warhammer 2 (the greatest game of all time) at the highest fidelity and 1,000fps.

im gonna roll with my 1060 for a while and just get a new mobo/cpu/ram/psu

shooting for under $800 but would prefer closer to $600 if possible to leave $400 for a videocard later. quality is important over performance. i wont be overclocking i just want my poo poo to last like my current setup has

e: i havent had much luck with my self guided purchases of electronics lately; two dell xps laptops for my wife and step daughter that have chronic weird issues and an oled that needed a panel replaced 2 months in

I threw this together real quick to give you an idea of what you could do. Should give you good value for the dollar based on the constraints you listed, with some further upgrade options down the line. You could later go from Zen2 to Zen3 on the CPU, and the PSU has enough headroom to support the current gen video cards such as the 3060Ti or the 3070. If you can stretch the budget another $100 now, the 5600X Zen3 is a better CPU choice for gaming, but their availability is limited now and likely will be for a while.

I don’t know if your current system is bottlenecked by the CPU (I assume it is), this upgrade will definitely push the bottleneck to the GPU and that will be the limit of your performance until you upgrade there.

Just keep in mind that $400 doesn’t get you much video card in the current generation, so you should be prepared to budget more when you are ready to upgrade if you are eventually targeting higher frame rates or resolution (or both). A 3060Ti would work great if you plan to stay at 1080p, however.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $563.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-24 17:50 EST-0500