Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I gave my father a computer I built in 2015. It’s got one of those asrock boards with a soldered on Celeron, 4gb ddr3 and a single platter drive. He only uses it to watch YouTube lessons for his pedal steel guitar. It’s got a decent Antec basic power supply that I’d like to harvest for my own use, but the only thing I have to replace it with is a crappy Turbolink 500w unit that I pulled from a friends PC when I gave him a new video card because it didn’t have a gpu connector. I was just going to give him the card but I had to give him my spare psu too.

I know you shouldn’t use crappy power supplies but surely this thing is up to the task? The machine can’t use more than like forty watts tops.

On the one hand, it'll probably work, but on the other hand is it really worth the effort to pull a 4 year old PSU to re-use and swap it? It's getting kind of old at that point. I usually buy a spare PSU on black friday to have one sitting around so you might be able to get a good deal on something quality in less than two weeks. Last year I got a 1000W EVGA 80+ Gold G3 for $99. In previous years I've picked up 750 Watt gold PSUs for $60-70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

teagone posted:

The apartment building that my sister-in-law's family lived in burnt down a week or so ago. Long story short, they had no renter's insurance and basically lost everything in the fire. The kids are particularly fond of gaming, and they lost their PCs, laptops and gaming console. I have a bunch of old parts in storage that I'm going to put together into a system for them to use to play primarily Minecraft and Fortnite. Specs from what I've managed to rummage through so far:

MSI 880GM-E43 Mainboard
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz CPU
Microcenter 8GB DDR3 RAM
Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB GPU
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
Antec 450W PSU
Samsung 22" 1080p display w/HDMI

All I need is a case, kb and mouse; will be looking at BF deals to find good deals on those. My question is would the 7850 with the Phenom II be ok to run Fortnite at 1080p? I know Minecraft will be fine. Or should I try and look for a better used GPU? Or is the Phenom II going to bottleneck basically anything newer than a 7850? Also, do I need to re-paste the CPU? I think I built the system back in 2011-2012.

I haven't played fortnite in a while but I was able to get it running on a laptop with integrated graphics just by turning the resolution down. I think a dedicated GPU will play fortnite okay, although they may have to turn some settings down. The CPU is below their minimum spec, but their minimum spec is an i3 so it'll probably be fine.
https://www.wepc.com/benchmark/fortnite-system-requirements/

I'd give it a shot, something is better than nothing and just having an SSD will make the PC feel fast in general.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boz0r posted:

I have a 6600K and 1070 setup. How much would I get out of throwing another 1070 in there?

SLI is garbage now, not that many games support it and if they do it's not worth the price of a second card. You'd be better off selling your current card and getting a beefier one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Joker posted:

So I put together my new build and my ram is only showing up as 2133MHz when its DDR3600 ram.

I have Gskill Ripjaws which show up on my boards QVL
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...ntent-_-text-_-

I have an ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...2064.1575770187

Anyone know that the problem might be and how I can fix it? I've never manually set timings, so I'm a little hesitatnt about doing so.

You need set the ram to XMP speeds in the bios. It's often just a drop down menu that enables it. It will default to the base DDR4 speeds if you don't, which is what it's doing now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

whydirt posted:

Okay, I finally got my new machine built and discovered that my existing Lenovo display has a VGA connector and not an HDMI.

If I’m not concerned with going beyond 1080 resolution, is there any issue with using a VGA to HDMI adapter to use the current display?

No, they usually work as advertised. It's a good time to shop for monitors, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Songbearer posted:

I've been using my HDDs from several builds across several years now and they're finally giving out. Recommend me some nice ones in the 1TB range? Non-SSD since my budget is limited.

Like, how limited? 1TB SSDs are $100, 8TB hard drives are $130 on fairly regular sale. 1TB hard drives start around $45 because there's just kind of a minimum cost to the disk it seems like.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bank posted:

Anyone install a Scythe Mugen cooler on here? I tried to install it last night and royally messed up..

There are two clips to install onto the backplate using screws and some spacers. I triple checked they were the right screws/spacers and the first side went on and was on nice and tight. The other side was still really loose so I kept tightening and tightening and then the whole screw backed out..

I guess there was too much torque on the screw and it broke off from the backplate :cry:

So now I've got a cooler with a broken screw, and a backplate with part of a broken screw stuck in it, which means I can't even put the stock cooler back on this thing if I wanted to.

I'm headed off to Fry's to see if I can get a cheap backplate replacement, otherwise I guess I'll have to call up MSI and order a replacement backplate. I spent last night trying to figure out what to do when I could have just been gaming with a bit of extra noise. Sigh..I can't believe I seem to be the only idiot that can't install this cooler properly.

That's rough, if you get the parts replaced and do it again, get the first screw started a couple of turns, then get the other one started and get it in a bit, and then alternate tightening. Since it relies on pressure you want to kind of see-saw it down. It's kind of like lug nuts on your wheel where you tighten in a star pattern so one side doesn't bind up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bank posted:

Yeah I'm almost thinking the screw was defective or something. The first clip (with two screws) went on just fine, and so did the first screw on the second clip. The last screw was a cluster though as it kept getting misthreaded so I couldn't even lead it in. There was definitely a bit of forcing I had to do as it wouldn't go in no matter how often I backed off the screw to find a entry.

I'll probably be watching an hour's worth of install videos before trying this again. Not sure if I want to send this back to Amazon or not..I might just give each company a call to see if they have replacement parts (a screw from Sycthe and a backplate from MSI).

Yeah it definitely sounds like something may have been defective although it's not clear which. Screws are bad with shear forces but I wouldn't think you could put that much force on one just threading it into a threaded insert, even if it was a little cross-threaded. I'd reach out to the companies but considering that neither are headquartered, the US you may have to wait a couple of weeks for replacements. Amazon would undoubtedly be faster but you'd have to break everything down to ship it back for replacements which is also a pain.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

G-III posted:

The machine will be next to an entertainment center so best to have a traditional tower

The Enthoo Pro is a great case but it's a bit larger than your usual tower so bear that in mind. It can accommodate an extended ATX board. I think they have an Enthoo Pro M but I'm not sure how many drives it comes with. I have an enthoo pro and it's great but takes up a good amount of space under the desk. Luckily the 140 and 200mm fans are very quiet.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob NewSCART posted:

looking for some recommendations on a nice roomy ATX case with really good airflow/fan cooling? my case is like a decade old and the fans are rattling excessively at this point.

Here's a bunch of good ones:

Scruff McGruff posted:

Most of the $70-$120 mid-tower cases will fill these requirements so take a look at some of these and see if any jump out at you.

-Phanteks P400a (non digital), recently named Gamers Nexus' best case of 2019.

-Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, a bit pricier than the P400a but very modular so you can set it up however you want it.

-Fractal Meshify C, the usual case recommendation in this thread.

-Cooler Master H500, I just built my new gaming rig in this and it's great (if you can get it for $100).

-Lian Li O-11 Dynamic/Air, tons of space. Get the Dynamic if you are going to watercool, the Air if you're not.

-NZXT H510, pretty much the definition of "Standard Case" in the current lineup of modern cases.

In general look for cases with mesh front panels, solid front panels kill airflow. Gamers Nexus has good case reviews on their website and their YouTube that are handy if you see a case you like.

If you want really big the full size Enthoo Pro is huge and quiet and not too pricey but big.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Snacks Redux posted:

So I got my case and mobo yesterday and everything else today. My plan is to start my build after work but watching YouTube videos/my motherboard box has me worried about static. I definitely don’t want to brick anything. I planned on building it on my kitchen table (wood table, linoleum floors) and using the motherboard box to keep it off the table. Does that sound okay or are there any steps, besides buying the special straps, that I could take to avoid that?

Touch some grounded metal before you touch any parts of the computer to ground yourself. For the most part metal devices with three prong plugs have grounded cases, but you can also just plug the power supply into the wall and touch it. You don't have to turn it on for the ground to be connected. Don't wear fleece.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

While I'm here, does anyone have a preference on brands for vesa monitor arms? I have an OK flexible wall mounted one now, but I'll need another and it'll need to carry a 32" display at full horizontal extension.

Ergotron is the gold standard but costs a lot. I think amazon basics has rebranded them in the past. I've used some cheaper stands from amazon vendors like North Bayou that are solid but I can't vouch for their whole product line, I'd definitely go by reviews and look for any problems. The monitor thread probably has some opinions, too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cocaine Bear posted:

I just picked up a 4tb HDD for extra storage. I plugged it all in and my computer wont turn on. Some troubleshooting and the only way to prevent this is to unplug the sata power cable from the PSU. I didn't have my originals so I got the power cable off a friend from a rig he built a year ago. It's definitely plugged into the sata power slot (I tried 2 of the 4 available ports). When it's plugged in (whether plugged into the hard drive or not) the Mb clicks and one led flashes then nothing. As soon as I unplug the sata power cable from the PSU, everything works fine.

Are these power cable brand specific or something? It's a Seagate focus plus gold psu (750 iirc).

Yes, modular power supply cables are not the same between brands. Getting a cable from a friend with a different one means it may not be wired the same (and it probably isn't and you're likely shorting something out). You have to use one of the ones that came with your PSU or get a compatible one from the manufacturer or one of the sleeved cable makers.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Well poo poo. Guess I need to hunt down a very specific power cable then.

Thanks for the info!

Some of the cheapest sources are also the slowest shipping right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-6Pin-1-to-4-SATA-Power-Cable-for-Seasonic-FOCUS-Plus-Gold-850-750-650-550-/202480985541

Cablemod is who I was thinking of for custom cables. They'll have it but it'll be a bit more costly. You can get it sleeved in cool colors, though!
https://cablemod.com/made-for/seasonic/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, everything I'm seeing is either 30 bux or takes months to arrive. It's nothing urgent but guess I'm going to have to shell out or wait or find a friend with a spare from the same series of PSU.

Also, is there a quick way to see if I fried anything by plugging in the wrong cable? Everything seems to be working fine so far but I'm getting paranoid.

Thanks again for the info, Rexxed!

Your description makes it sound like after being told to power on the system or even the PSU realized there was a short or some bad voltage and just stopped the whole boot up right away, so that's good. I'd guess if the computer is running it's probably okay. To test the hard disk you could plug it in with the cables from another disk and check that at least it shows in the BIOS/UEFI or use a bootable OS to check it out. Otherwise I'd use an external HD adapter but I know not everyone has those cluttering up the place.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KingKapalone posted:

It sounds like one of the 80mm fans in my file server is making some new noise I don't like. I have two of these in there from 2016 https://www.newegg.com/silenx-efx-08-12-case-fan/p/N82E16835226033?Item=N82E16835226033 but I wonder if there's something better. I want quiet since it's always on (and now in the room I'm always in due to WFH). It's not a variable RPM fan which I guess would be nice when the server isn't doing anything. I don't know if the motherboard supports that though, but I'd have to see if I can remember which board is in here.

Noctua's going to be the way to go for that, but definitely check if you've got a 2, 3, or 4 pin fan. Either way the Noctua's support PWM if you have it.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=noctua+80mm

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks I'll look.

ALso my friend wants a GPU for about $200. Any recommendations? He games at 1080p. Mainly WoW, CS, a bit of Overwatch, etc.

Probably a nvidia GTX 1660 Super if he can go a little over $200. If not the AMD RX 580 is a little older but decent and often around $180 for new.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KingKapalone posted:

Currently the fans are 3 pin but they're plugged into 4 pin connectors. Here's what the mobo says:

5x 4-pin fan headers (up to 5 fans), 5 fans with tachometer status monitoring, Low noise fan speed control, Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) fan connectors, Status monitoring for on/off control, Status monitoring for speed control, Support 3-pin fans (w/o speed control)

I should go with 4pin PWM like this then? https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-redux-1800-PWM-Performance/dp/B00KF7MVI2/ And I isolated the one making the noise, but if I replace both the new ones should be quieter most of the time from the PWM?

PWM just lets it monitor the tach and speed it up and down as it wants to. That one will be fine, I think the A8 (brown kind) is probably quieter due to the rubberized corner pads and extra mounting accessories in the box like the rubbery screw replacements, but the R8 will still be super quiet and good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Maple Leaf posted:

I have two SSDs in RAID 0 on my current mobo and I'm thinking of upgrading. Would changing out the motherboards (or, while I'm at it, resetting the BIOS via removing the CMOS battery or something) uncouple them? It's not a huge deal if so, I just have some games and recordings in there that can be reinstalled and moved, respectively, I'm more just curious.

It depends on how they're set up in raid. If it's software then you'd just need the same software. If it's hardware you could use the same raid card. If it's hardware on the motherboard then yes, a new motherboard will destroy your raid setup. I don't know about resetting the cmos on the old board.

If you're setting things back up again, you should probably just not use RAID 0, especially with SSDs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Try not to spin the fans up with the air since they'll just be generating power.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's not a joke, blasting the fan blades so they spin generates power (just like any motor when you power the output) which doesn't have anywhere to go when the system is unplugged and powered down and could possibly damage components. You want to clean the fan blades some but letting them free spin is a bad idea.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

TBH I've never been sure how true the whole case fans spinning thing is. Like it's not false, an electric motor is a generator. But I'm somewhat skeptical that a fan will generate enough volts or power to gently caress anything up. The jack they're plugged into are power delivery components, not the delicate bits. I avoid it anyways because why take risks?
Sometime I should hook a fan to a multimeter and vacuum it to see how much it really generates.

I tried it out and only built up a couple of volts with canned air and a cooler master 120mm. I think the main issue is that you can kill the pcb in the fan, but there's the potential to send generated power into the motherboard, which would mostly be low voltage on the 12v rail but could still cause weirdness since it's not plugged into a ground or anything.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Disargeria posted:

Is there a downside to getting a 1200w psu if I only need 600w or so? I am really struggling to find anything out there that will ship in the next month but I see a decent 1200w for like $300 that I can get this week.

Not really, I mean, the optimal efficiency of most PSUs is at around 50% draw but the 80+ ratings, especially gold and platinum have good efficiency through a lot of different loads. That is a lot to spend on one PSU, though. There's some for sale at best buy but not for shipping, only for stores that have stock that may be worth looking at.

There's some of these on office depot but they're selling out fast. It's not an amazing PSU but it'll work and it's actually available for now:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6902215/Gigabyte-P650B-Power-Supply-Internal-33/

If you literally can't find anything else I've used one of these in a build. It's almost ATX, in that it fits the profile except it's really long and the fan sticks out so that it won't work in every case. I couldn't fit it into a case with a "basement" cover because the fan hit it, but I did fit it into one where it was mounted on top. It's big.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...sIAAOSw58ZetdaS

There's also bronze ones that are cheaper but will have the same fitment issues:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Le...zwAAOSwrkJeu0v~

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gamesguy posted:

I'm currently on an old win 7 system(3570k) with a ton amount of software and data I've got on it - around 7 tb across 5 drives. But lately I've been seriously bottlenecked by the old CPU, especially playing M&B2.

I've been putting off building a new PC because of this, just the thought of migrating everything over fills me with dread. Could I possibly upgrade without a new clean install? I read it's possible to upgrade to windows 10, and then simply plug in a new Mobo/cpu and let windows take care of everything. How likely is this to succeed?

Does architecture matter? Ie going from intel yo amd or sticking with Intel.

So to start with, I recommend doing a new install. Rip off that band aid because you'll find you don't need everything you have. It will be a pain to reinstall but if you keep your old system running you can easily go grab config files and make sure you didn't miss anything. That all said, you can absolutely upgrade your old machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and keep your stuff (mostly everything will probably be compatible, the installer will tell you if something won't work on 10). After that changing the disks over or imaging the old disk to a new one and putting it in a new system will work 99% of the time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's a weird looking 3d printer. Where's the hotend?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

keep it down up there! posted:

So I'm a dummy and bought some Fractal Design Prisma RGB fans that use a 3pin (5v header) and my Tomahawk Max only has a 4 pin (12v) headers. I didn't even realize there was a difference before buying them as I was always used to just plugging into the SYSFAN ports. Getting the fans with shipping delays was already a hassle so I'm not to keen on returning them if I can avoid it.

Is there an adapter out there I can buy that will convert the 5v to 12v and not fry the fans?

I see they offer this controller as an option, but I'd much prefer to sync everything if possible.

Any ideas?

Edit: After some further googling it seems like this isn't possible. But leaving the question up just in case.

The fans are 4 pin 12V PWM based on the page you linked. 5V is for the LEDs. The fans will spin if you plug them in, but they won't light up without the latter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kraftwerk posted:

Does reusing the same key on a new mobo+system flag the key for invalidation by microsoft?

Probably not. If it activates it activates. If it doesn't you might have to call them or spend $5 on another one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Verviticus posted:

is there a safe way to test if a PSU works? i found an RM550x just sitting in my pile of stuff and it has the serial number of a psu I bought in 2016, but I'm not using it. im pretty sure it was defective and I forgot to RMA it, and now I'm wondering if I should just do that instead of buying a new one

You can jump the green wire on the 20 pin connector to any black connector to see if it fires up, but that will just show that it operates, not that it operates well. PSU testing is somewhat difficult since you have to put it under load to determine if it's working correctly unfortunately.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SopWATh posted:

You can buy a PSU tester, they only do rudimentary voltage measurements on the pin-out.

Here's literally the first link in a google search: https://www.amazon.com/Comprobador-...RT0SJJP8QVQEGGW

I've used one of those and they do check voltage but they don't seem to load the PSU enough to make sure it's working well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Thanks.

So Samsung is no longer the hot poo poo in SSDs? Or the better question may be: are there any brands to avoid or is the SSD market pretty mature?

The last time I bought an SSD the axiom was get Samsung or risk a lemon. There were also issues with using non-SATA drives as the boot drive, I take it that's no longer an issue?

It's pretty mature but it's still not a bad idea to buy from a big manufacturer just in case there's issues. I mostly own Crucial, Samsung and Sandisk drives and luckily haven't had an issue since my first OCZ. Oh, I almost forgot, I have a couple of little PNY disks that haven't died, too, but I wouldn't call them a good manufacturer since I've seen a lot of their drives that are put into Dell machines die.

WD bought Sandisk's SSD division so I'd probably shop them, Crucial or Samsung unless there's a compelling reason to go with something else (like the Inland disks that had a good controller that were cheap at one point).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WampaLord posted:

Got any good recommendations for a cheap big non-SSD hard drive?

The best value for money is buying an 8TB or larger external WD drive and shucking it from its case. They're on sale frequently. The current deal isn't the best (they get as low as $120 for the easystore version) but it's still decent:
Additional savings w/ promo code EMCDRDG39, limited offer (brings it to $130):
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-8tb/p/N82E16822234349?Item=N82E16822234349

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwtxMV2YB0

If you don't feel like shucking the 6tb CMR disks are $150-200:
https://smile.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Red-Hard-Drive/dp/B07B1HX5KN/
https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B085Z4P89R/
https://smile.amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch-Internal-Drive-HDWN160XZSTA/dp/B06Y2KCXCM/

I own two of the Toshiba 6TB and they've been good for me but they do have mixed reviews in the comments.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zarin posted:

Well, looks like I just missed a bit of FanChat, but if I can maybe ask a couple questions here . . .

My wife and I both have this case (mostly, hers is the previous-generation model in white that NewEgg won't let me link to anymore):
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-trooper-se-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811119333?Item=N82E16811119333

It turns out that the 200mm fans in these cases weren't of the highest build quality; I want to say her case is like 2 years old and mine is 1.5 - my fan has seized completely and hers is making some noise that suggests the end is near.

It looks like the case claims it can either do 1x200mm or 2x140mm on the top of the case:
1). Which solution would provide more airflow overall? (I assume 2x140mm but Fan Math is weird sometimes)
2). Any particular brand of fan recommended? Bearing type? I'm not opposed to colored lights; my case is vomiting out green and hers blue light

Noise is really no object here; I'm mostly interested in thermals since I do a lot of folding@home and I'm trying to get her into it a bit as well.

A lot of the choices are going to have varying speeds and CFM levels that will make which choice has more airflow into a bit of a "it depends" answer. For example:
200mm 76 cfm: https://smile.amazon.com/AeroCool-Silent-Master-200mm-Blue/dp/B009XERK6G/
200mm 110 cfm: https://smile.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-F200SP_BBK-200mm-Premier-Blades/dp/B016NHSB4U/
200mm 129 cfm: https://smile.amazon.com/Thermaltake-200x30mm-Anti-Vibration-Mounting-CL-F015-PL20BL/dp/B00J0NZFIA/

140mm 81 cfm: https://smile.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-F200SP_BBK-200mm-Premier-Blades/dp/B016NHSB4U/
140mm 58 cfm: https://smile.amazon.com/Kingwin-CF-014LB-Efficient-Excellent-Ventilation/dp/B014PXH2U8/

There's also fan controllers to vary fan speeds that should be accounted for. The "silent" fans are usually low RPM and lower CFM but you mostly leave them at 100% speed and won't hear them, whereas some of the faster ones are more audible when cranked up.

I'm not going to recommend a specific configuration but I do own the 200mm and 140mm phanteks fans listed. For top fans you generally have them blow out so it's not quite as important as front fans or side fans which are usually intake fans. You may have a different airflow configuration and that's fine if it works for you. The advantage of 200mm is that they can move more slowly and make less noise. In my phanteks enthoo pro case I used a 200mm on the front, 140mm on the bottom, 140x2 on the cooler, and 140mm on the back. It was barely audible and the GPU fans were the most noticeable when they'd ramp up. I went for positive air pressure with the back fan being the only out fan and it worked well for me. I also have some Cooler master, Scythe, and Noctua fans with the latter two brands being higher end.

As far as bearings are concerned I was always told that sleeve bearings will die quickly when run horizontal so ball bearing or maybe one of the new magnetic bearings would be better for a horizontal fan. They cost more but won't get noisy and die in a couple of years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alokgen posted:

Follow up to my first build troubles from a few pages ago.

I bought a fan hub and that fixed my problem. All fans are now spinning correctly.

I disassembled everything and put everything back together. I booted without installing the GPU to see if I could get anything from just hdmi'ing into the mobo. I didn't get anything on the monitor. So I reseated the video card and tried all display ports and hdmi and didn't get anything from the monitor. So I looked in the video card manual and noticed this diagram:

And the PCI connectors that are supplied with my PSU look like this:

Could that be an issue? I don't understand the significance of whether the plugs are squares or weird not squares. I've tried powering with all 3 as well.

Your motherboard doesn't have any video output, those plugs on the I/O plate are only used if you install an AMD APU which is a processor with graphics. As for the additional cables, the bottom cable is for EPS 12V extra CPU power on the motherboard, only the top ones are PCI-E video card power. EPS can be 4 or 8 pins and PCI-E can be 6 or 8 pins. They're wired differently and you should never plug the CPU one into the video card. I don't know if it'd cause damage but I would hope the D shaped surrounds on the pins would prevent it from going into the GPU header (and vice versa).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alokgen posted:

Not sure if it's it's been damaged. Using the cables that are clearly marked PCI-E, the video card fans are spinning, but still no display.

Edit: how long should it usually take to boot up the very first time?

Not long, 20-30 seconds maybe? I'd make sure you re-seat your ram and unplug any other accessories but the cpu, ram, and gpu for testing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

side_burned posted:

I am looking to upgrade the SSD my operating system is on. This Inland seemed to be the best deal for a 2TB M.2 drive that used TLC. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X74M6PT/?coliid=IEU8CPFCERE04&colid=1NRN82VFS1TSP&th=1

Also how worth it are M.2 heat syncs like this?https://www.amazon.com/heatsink-dou...ctronics&sr=1-3 I am guessing they are pointless but for :10bux: I thought it was worth asking about.

I wouldn't bother unless you have one that you got for free. I recall reading about the driver chip being hot throttling transfer rates, but the flash memory being hot not being a big deal a year or more ago. Generally this won't be an issue except for very long sustained disk activity. The one you linked looks pretty big, too, so it could possibly interfere with fitment if the M.2 slot is near your PCI-E video card or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Hello, I have a PC I'm planning on upgrading.

I can plug this baby into a 4k TV, but the 1070ti isn't quite there. Do I need to do a whole new build or can I just get one of those newer GFX cards?

Coffee Lake at 3.7ghz should be the i7-8700K so you will probably be good with an RTX 3000 series card. They are hard to get right now but a RTX 3080 or 3090 are going to be your best choices for 4K.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wowporn posted:

I forgot nvme drives were a thing that happened since my current pc doesn’t support them, I kind of have all the hard drives I want but is it worth it to get a new one of those instead of reusing my sata SSD as my boot drive?

They're faster but not that much faster in real world tasks. If you're happy with the capacity of your current one I'd just reuse it until you feel like a size increase and having less money. They'll always be cheaper and bigger later on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Capntastic posted:

EVGA 3070 says a 650 watt power supply is required and mine is 620. Is that a hard no-go or can I squeak by?

If you have a high quality power supply you'll probably be okay. What power supply is it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's not a bad one, you'll probably be okay. A lot of the video card requirements are laid out assuming you have really cheap garbage that won't be able to give the video card a couple hundred watts reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redpleb posted:

anyone else order anything from amazon and have really fucky shipping? I ordered a bunch of my new computer parts and it said most of them were going to come in yesterday and now it's saying on the site that the package is "late" because theres been no update on the tracking info since thursday or friday when I ordered everything and it hit me with the ominous "if it doesn't show up by tuesday you can request a refund or replacement". not confidence boosting.

I've had that happen to a couple of orders recently. I figure they're having warehouse workers strike and maybe the hurricane damaged infrastructure or something because they're a terrible company to work for. I just take the refund and reorder if I have to. I'm supposed to get some shock cord in today which is a Sunday but they did ship it yesterday so maybe it'll happen. I don't usually care if they can get me something on a Sunday, most of the time it can wait. Prime shipping has been really spotty for a couple of years but the pandemic has made everything worse.