Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cavauro posted:

is burrow going to be the lowest rated #1 overall qb of the 2018 to 2020 drafts

Ah, the Alex Smith Award

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I wondered how deep the "Tua might stay" madness had taken hold, and my first class in Tuscaloosa this year confirmed it- I heard some insane fan bullshit like "he'll go back in the draft next year so Belichick can get him"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There's no need to send an unspoken, public message when the entire league essentially runs on spoken, private communication. There's zero chance that Miami hasn't already talked to Tua's people about their plans. (Whether they were honest about them, of course.....)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Marvin Lewis stands in front of his dressing room mirror at the combine, trying to remember if he puts the stud in his left ear to indicate willingness to draft a player, or the right. He's definitely sure the blue plaid pocket square indicates he's looking for a tight end.

Yeah, if the entire free agent market runs on contracts negotiated and finalized days before the two sides are even supposed to talk to each other, I have a hard time believing franchises have to rely on this semaphore-level poo poo to talk with draft prospects.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The Chiefs got caught tampering with Jeremy Maclin a couple of years back and lost a 3rd, 6th, and the coach and GM were personally fined. I'd tend to suspect that getting caught doing so with a college prospect would both have you more likely to be caught and be punished more severely. You're dealing with a 21 year old and their family and not an agent, and you're loving around with the relationship between the NFL, NCAA, and the marquee college program.

They didn't get punished for tampering.

They got punished for doing it badly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

How’d you react to the 2018 offseason NFLPA rule regarding text communication?

It’s impossible to completely stop it but they’ve really really cracked down lately in tampering both by agents wrt draft and free agency

The NFL crackdown one?

I mean, they'll catch the dumb ones. It had gotten farcical, so the NFL had to come down on it somewhat.

Again, with the stakes resting on these decisions, it's silly to assume anyone is more scared of the NFL than of losing an opportunity.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I almost want to call in sick and stay in T-town another day to troll people. Literally everyone here thinks he’s staying

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Play posted:

can you even imagine what they'd have to give up over how little they already have, lol. It would be the first draft in history where a team only makes one pick

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Randaconda posted:

what's the saddest story of a good QB just being ruined by a lovely team

David Carr

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goreld posted:

Archie Manning and the Saints

Archie Manning was not ruined by the Saints.

He was wasted.

There’s a difference, damnit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Barudak posted:

Is it technically illegal to tell a player if they sit out the draft year and go undrafted youll sign them to a bigger deal?

Asking for a team

That scenario is impossible. If you declare for the draft then tell everyone nahh don't draft me, some team takes a flier in the 6th/7th and gets your rights. If you really do sit out a year, you get drafted all over again.

See: Bo Jackson

edit- minus the part where Tampa was so loving incompetent they pissed him off by lying to him and costing him his senior year of baseball at Auburn, and the part where Tampa was still dumb enough to risk the #1 pick on him

GD_American fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 15, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Weird thing is the Texans literally drafted a Hall of Fame-bound tackle 1st in their expansion draft.

Or at least, the smoking remnants of one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Dabo sure knows how to Jesus up folks

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Benne posted:

Gonna own when Herbert goes Top 10 and then gets all his coaches fired in 2-3 years

Look don't judge Oregon QBs by the track record of Marcus Mariota, or Jeremiah Masoli, or Joey Harrington, or Kellen Clemens, or Akili Smith, or AJ Feeley, or Chris Miller.

Let's not forget, this school graduated Dan Fouts (in 1972) and Norm van Brocklin (in 1948)!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pulling so hard for someone to jump ahead of Miami now

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Never trust the one year starter

Goddamnit why do people keep forgetting this

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Unrelated to anything draft but if Dilfer's shitposting I guess I get to too: I'd really like to see Dan Marino in a modern offense.

I feel like the complete lack of mobility would hurt him more than it did when he played, but also goddamn could he sling it and we're better at scheming receivers open these days.

For years the refrain was "when will Shula get him a running back" and nowadays, that really doesn't matter for poo poo.

I loved making GBS threads on Marino because he's a jerk, but I also know that I'm completely full of poo poo and he would tear poo poo the gently caress up in today's NFL. He never would have slipped that far in the draft because of drug rumors nowadays, that's for sure.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I lived through the era of Montana, and while he was a Hall of Famer he's not even top 10. Quit letting RINGZZZ override your judgement.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Can't imagine why a Saints fan would harbor ill will toward Joe Cool

lol people who hate Brady for either a) only being good because of Belichick or b) because he feasts on the trash-rear end AFC East should maybe read up on Joe Cool.

He was a great QB, who was also surrounded by all-world talent and coached by one of the five best ever, and to top it off they had six gimmes on their schedule every year.

And yes, I loving despise him.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goodell finally finds a place he can't be booed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kiimo posted:

This thread is gonna be unreadable if you start pasting that poo poo

Only people quote the whole loving thing to say “lol what”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pickles running away with worst for Carolina.

I know MT is good, but he's winning as a 2nd round pick and Marques Colston was the best WR in the team's history only a handful of picks away from being Mr. Irrelevant. wtf are people's memories that short

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm just happy to see Ricky Williams naturally aging off of these lists

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Maybe he's just bad. I was never a believer in Rosen and didn't think he was going to make it. Tua just makes way too much sense.

I can simultaneously believe that Rosen might just be bad and that he might have been good but we'd never know now

What NFL QB probably holds the consecutive "maybe we can fix him" seasons record

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Haha, terrible draft is an understatement.
The 2013 "top" 10, everyone: Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Dion Jordan, Lane Johnson, Ziggy Ansah, Barkevious Mingo, Jonathan Cooper, Tavon Austin, Dee Milliner, and Chance Warmack.
Like, I'm pretty sure Lane Johnson is the only guy who isn't a JAG at best. The third round was pretty great though!

But, as quarterbacks go, it's between Mike Glennon and Matt Barkley as the best.

Saints got Kenny Vaccaro at like 15 and I remember being insanely stoked about it. Hell, he was a fantastic rookie. Then his brain fell apart.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Saints trade Alvin Kamara and their 1st rounder + 2021 2nd rounder to Detroit for #3 pick, to probably take Tua

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

THIS VIRUS WAS WORTH ALL OF IT