Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Legally, elon is not allowed to hold any management position within spacex because otherwise they would immediately lose the contract due to him smoking weed live on a stream, which is still a federal offence which hence precludes a company he manages from bidding on government contracts, lol.

thats how it works for normal people. not billionaires. anyways he has a clearance so what are you even talking about. also see kushner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

why is fernando alonso wearing a petronas shirt

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

There is no such thing as a "moose". It's not even a friggin' word. It was always elk but your forefathers were clueless idiots. Stop this nonsense! :mad:

come off it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I find your implication that I’m dumb and don’t understand pretty goon-:smug:

Im a mech E undergrad, MS Systems engineering and have developed/deployed a web app that can take a photo of any US coin since the 1860s and classify what it is (eg barber dime) with 97% accuracy using a DL model I gathered the data for and trained using pytorch. I’d say I have a better understanding than most.

Cool now make it 99.9999%

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It’s better for my back to shovel early in a big storm and then again a few hours later if it’s heavy enough. But then again, I’m not doing a sidewalk next to a god drat thunder dome of plows

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Pu239 is nowhere near as radioactive delicious as Pu238

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GotLag posted:

Executive summary: neutron emissions match predicted changes due to decrease in rainwater levels in new containment
https://twitter.com/ThatRadGuy5/status/1398425516068196352

we're taking measures to ensure steady flow of rainwater to the corium

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wasn’t the Kursk sank by a solid fuel torpedo ?

Edit: I can’t read, post addressed it above

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The made up train story blows sorry y’all

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did we even wind up having a Florida apartment collapse thread? The Washington Post has a wonderfully reported timeline on the collapse, with many interviews. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/26/collins-ave-miami-condo-collapse/

Want to read but paywall

Edit: bypassed with a diff browser

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 26, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ll be in anchorage/Fairbanks in a few weeks. What the gently caress is going on with your sunlight. Is it really going to be light out at 12 am? poo poo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was actually in a swamp field just like that a few weeks ago. It was like standing on a water bed. Got an excavator good and stuck in it and had to pull it out. Good times. It basically scrapped further down into the mud and created a 5 foot deep pit pulling it out until it hit something dry. Could not really break through with my boots, when I did all the insane amount of roots kept me from sinking too much

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 2, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

its not a void full of water its a elastic mix of peaty mud soils, root, and a lot of water, very inconsistently mixed. you dont break through and enter some sort of water chamber below a crust. it's basically really hard to sink more than a leg in in that stuff, even as watery as it looks, even if you completely removed the top surface. otherwise that top surface would never last

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PetraCore posted:

It's like a weird root-dirt sponge?

yeah basically

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

There's a variety of matted wetland conformations. Someone post the video of the Russian guys diving into a hole and swimming out of a pond 15 feet away; that one is definitely not a solid sponge.

The local variety in Louisiana you usually punch through into a marsh you can probably normally tread water in except your feet are tangled in a mat of poo poo now. To be fair these usually don't get as thick as to let you dance on them, you usually step in and shloop, hope you don't have a pack on.

if it's a moss surface directly next to a body of water that's a bit different from what I was thinking of but yeah you're right

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If that plane keeps flying into fruit it’s going to crash but I guess safety factors and all that I still wouldn’t risk it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

not impressed because he didn't sink both balls

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

learned it from assassins creed

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That’s just how you dodge heat seeking birds it’s fine

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

deploying load

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

From the replies, looks like there's an ID and another angle of the crash. Can't wait to see it if it ends up on "Just Rolled In" later.

https://twitter.com/benjancewicz/status/1505562102085341185

https://www.latimes.com/california/...nto-parked-cars

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i had a coworker be the bucket and go through the glass once. (he fell forward somehow while trying to get out) you would think they would make that so if a human fell into it it wouldnt shatter and land them in the hospital but there you go

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

edit: nvm

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 6, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

deep down im sure stockton was a good guy

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

do you think elon knows cybertruck is the laughing stock of vehicle testing industry right now because it's finally showing up to test tracks and getting stuck in the easy sections meant for the crossovers. perhaps the solution all along was to fill the space with water so it can float over the obstacle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hmm that reminds somebody at work pointed out a gouge on a heavy load flat bed trailer tire and when i went to look i had to point out the tires were from 1992

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yes although you could buy a Y cable that that does that for around $5 but this is the osha thread

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

on mac you hold the key down for a little bit

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how many normal sized balloons of hydrogen do you think you could string together and pop before it becomes dangerously concussive

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

One YouTube channel or another (I can't remember the name, the one where the presenter is an older man from Maine) did a video on this topic, and the conclusion was hydrogen burns too slowly. You need a premix of hydrogen and oxygen in the right ratio to get a really good concussive blast.

yeah that's what I was leading at.. and you probably get a bigger bang with a single balloon without the sort of chain reaction going on there, but even then.. needs to be premixed to really do some damage.. but I assume there is some size where it's still going to make a big enough bang? or will it just hindenberg / be more flames unless it's premixed.

is there a point where you have so much hydrogen / not enough oxygen it's less concussive and more of a slower flame front like that I guess is what I'm asking.. or will they all pop with the same brief snap you see in a science class with a single baloon but in quick succession.

I want a demo vid on it thanks

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 5, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I don't get that, you're more likely to be killed by the bear than a man.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What has the bear response been?

I bearly knew her