Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Columbia, South Carolina represent :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority has been doing a bang-up job in Somerville recently on their years-late and billions-short Green Line Extension project. Two bridges in the area have been closed to all traffic for nearly two years longer than originally promised, and the most recent bridge to reopen, over Washington Street, just had its underpass become an enormous swimming pool after some seriously heavy rainfall. The whole project's been plagued with drainage problems and that's why those other two bridges are still closed, but this is the first time there's been an operational failure open to the public. And, of course, the public's going to try to ford the drat thing and fail.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Worked at a call center where one day the meth head two rows over stood up mid-shift, took his shirt off, ran a few screaming laps around the cubicles until they chased him outside, and was back at work the next day like nothing had happened.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

All around me are familiar faces, worn-out places, worn-out faces

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

That's the good ol' Bagel Buzzsaw from Finagle A Bagel, and I'm very sorry the chain no longer really exists in Boston.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't doubt that Teslas do go out of control more than other cars, even when they aren't on autopilot, but yeah the safe bet in every one of these situations is driver error.

If by driver error you mean "bought a Tesla" then yes

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Sweet Hereafter (1997, dir. Atom Egoyan)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Phanatic posted:

There's nothing classified about making napalm and there's no legal issue with posting how to make napalm.

(Okay, some specific recipes that are used in munitions might be classified at some level.)

I thought the point was more that the AI had been trained to say "sorry, I won't give out dangerous information" and people are coming up with ways to circumvent that, which turns out to not be so hard at all

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Joe Mondragon is watering his old man's bean field!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

This is some absolute bazonkers stunt work though the second raider to jump off the bow didn't roll and it sure looks like they felt it but carried on with the raiding anyway :black101:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Railing Kill posted:

My dad is a retired paramedic/fire chief. He has a well-honed gallows humor from three decades of work in the field, but there's some things he never joked or even talked about. My sister and I could always tell when he caught a child fatal by how uncharacteristically quiet and humorless he would be for a couple of days.

Hey, same. My father was a firefighter and EMT in a small town with a large highway cutting through it. He told me once about the room at the station they' used to debrief and to process, where they'd brew strong coffee and make all kinds of jokes about the poo poo they just had to deal with. They were as horrible and as tasteless as they had to be in order for them to get it out and off their chest so they could get back to their families. When I asked him for an example he told me "Nothing said in that room ever gets repeated outside. That is the rule" and I knew never to ask again. Emergency workers need that outlet, whether they share it or keep it internal.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"The term is autodidact," I say as I work on the third caisson underneath the river by my house thanks to this biography of Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Holy loving poo poo

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Why don't they just raise the bridge?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aishlinn posted:

there is something almost therapeutic about watching sandblasting (or even better, the anti-rust laser) doing its thing. its so satisfying. one of the youtube channels i really like, "Odd Tinkering", does restorations, and one of the toys in his shop is a loving laser that blasts rust off things. its a joy to watch it go.

PowerWash Simulator is a game that can scratch that very very particular itch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

at least do a courtesy flush for the love of god