Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

Noo I was only 1000 pages behind on the last one!

Put on your safety glasses, hard hat, and reflective vest. You got some work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

gently caress everything about working underground. My dads almost been killed twice (that he's willing to talk about) and one of his cousins was killed instantly when a mining train jumped the tracks and pinned him against the drift wall.

One of the times he almost got it was drilling. He and his partner were using jack leg drills on a drift. His partner stopped, told my dad to put his drill down because theyre going to the break room for a smoke (weird because normally for a cig you just stop and spark up) and when they came back their drift was about 100' shorter and their hoses were just sticking out from the bottom of the pile of rock at the end.

His partner either got tipped off by a time traveller, had spider sense, or they just got really lucky.

There's a reason msha tends to not gently caress around like OSHA does.

My old man was caught in an air blast where a pressure differential blows out a bunch of rock. He somehow lived.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AzureSkys posted:

This is one of the sprinklers in the hotel room I'm staying at. Whatever it means, I feel warned.

I think it means don't gently caress the sprinkler.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, yeah. gently caress UPS. I’m enough of a lazy hypocrite to use them but goddamn have I seen the lovely side of how they can treat the bottom rung of employees.

gently caress dude that PA should have their license burned. Company-approved clinics are the scabs of the medical world.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought you had to graft peoples own skin onto themselves. Is it possible to transplant it from other people?

You can get skin from the deceased just like any other organ. Pretty useful when there isn't a whole lot of skin left on a patient to harvest.

Dunno about live skin donor but that sounds horrid on the donor.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Friend of mine who's an oil and gas field worker says that's not it, any gas that's dissolved in the mud is separated out as it's moved through the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_Gas_Separator

Looks like it's burning crude. He says he's never heard of them doing that, but also that that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in some situation.

Sure looks like one of these, doesn't it?

That's a boss in some steampunk jrpg.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's exactly what you think.

Decaying shitpiss big -> hydrogen sulfide -> death to anyone who gets too close.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That sounds like something that would negatively affect quarterly profits.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

A local one from this weekend:

Crane topples onto house

Tree removal didn't go as planned. Jump to :55 in the video and you can see it happen.

Should have got the liftbiggerstuff instead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Flip flops bold choice with guys flinging dirt up like that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No shoes. :ohdear:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't change lanes in an intersection.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

poly and open-minded posted:

Cool, a new thing to be paranoid about when I get a stuffy nose

You most likely won't encounter deadly levels of hydrogen sulfide unless you hang out at pig farms or poorly maintained waste water plants.

Enough gas to be stinky for sure but not enough to completely ruin you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Harveygod posted:

Annual CHP refresher training. Wife made cookies:

You two should renew your vows. Marry her again!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

While many people would see that as a flaw in modern medicine, I'd applaud the doctors for going down the list of probabilies and willing to admit to being wrong / being IN the wrong / not knowing everything instantly.

I still chuckle at the thought of various radiology technicians placating a patient "It's totally safe, I swear!" as they then dive behind a blast shield. OSHA indeed.

If by blast shield you mean an X-ray tech or something hiding then it makes perfect sense.

Patient gets one x-ray while a tech may perform dozens a day. They'd hit their OSHA yearly exposure limit in like a week.

Exposure adds up my poster.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A pretty decent amount is in indirect costs, yeah, but the insurance/workers comp savings aren’t something to sneeze at.

Might as well pencil in 6 figures for any work related back injuries, for instance.

poo poo my old man had a knee replacement paid for by workers comp 20 years after his initial injury. His good knee was ruined after years of overcompensating for his not good leg. The actual incident was a little more... Let's just say horrific.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They're ssds and this is the OSHA thread.

Take off as much packaging you can and dunk it in HF.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Asproigerosis posted:

:siren: "FIRE" AT THE SUNOCO REFINERY IN DELAWARE CITY :siren:

One of the burn-off stacks was going ham with a nice black cloud overhanging the facility. State police had the roads leading to the refinery blocked off several miles out. I'm sure whatever happened will pair nicely with the big fat safety violation fines they had to pay out last year... for a fire.

Chris Coons sends his regards to the share holders.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SniperWoreConverse posted:

A lot of times when eagles are flying together like that they're on a date & trying to figure out if anyone's getting laid.

Yea eagle was pissed the some rear end in a top hat ruined a day of romance.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Air soft always seemed like tough military cosplay to me.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bow before the bee lord.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Seems dumb to use ammo designed to injure in a tool everyone should train to not point anything they do not intend to kill.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

People made themselves dumb with lead long before gas. It used to be a common sweetener. Yes as in food. Wine especially and apparently the mix of alcohol, heat (iirc they cooked it) and lead is extra double plus bad for you.

Oh and lead oxide makeup.

The largest voting block in America was raised huffing lead exhaust.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mds2 posted:

Bandsaws are actually pretty safe.

Any hazard that could be engineered out should be else it's unsafe.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lou Takki posted:

Wait what hazard are you talking about here? That bandsaw is perfectly normal as far as I can tell.

Band isn't enclosed. Any opening is a hazard because humans are complete morons.

I've done enough EHS in my life to know leaving safety to humans acting correctly for hours on end is a recipe for disaster.

Edit: funny example of humans acting dumb: my wife found a dirty diaper in the baby laundry hamper today. Why? Who knows.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

America during a pandemic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mahatma-Squid posted:

What's up with the ridiculously high deaths per 100,000 in the US? Looking at stats for Australia (from https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/) we have 11.2/100,000 deaths for agriculture, forestry & fishing industries compared to somewhere between twice as many to over 8 times as many deaths in the US according to that chart. Overall fatalities are about 3 times as bad in the US with 3.2/100,000 against 1.1/100,000. Seems like a crazy difference and I don't feel like we have a particularly strong safety culture over here or anything.

Does Australia have poo poo lagoons? That has to account for a bunch of the US agriculture deaths.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I for sure thought he was gonna bounce up and land butt-first on the sledge.

I'm ok with being wrong.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LifeSunDeath posted:

We need ignoble awards to give out to managers who bravely bullied workers into ultra dangerous situations against all reason, without PPE, and failed to get the job done, and got everyone killed. Maybe even a national database of management who live on the backs of people forced to live on the edge.

I'd take whatever murder statute the state has for extreme indifference for human life.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LifeSunDeath posted:

But that will never happen since the corporate shield covers them, esp if they're profitable. An award and public shaming would be way more helpful.

Oh I know we live in a corporate dystopia.

A safety nerd can dream...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bold move to touch anything in a lab without gloves on.... Woaaaah.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Today we’re going to demonstrate the auto braking system

https://i.imgur.com/QTKHY8g.gifv

but forget to turn that feature on...

Dude looks like management so it's probably ok.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

everydayfalls posted:

Safety videos greatest hits!

Warning lots of (very) fake blood

https://i.imgur.com/KT2ayOs.mp4

I'm the guy being thrown off the forklift road warrior style.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Damnit we ordered pink not red! You ruined my entire pregnancy!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Could have become the next ghost rider.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:911:

Greatest country on earth.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deer are pests. Giant, horny locusts with a love of playing in traffic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Probably not a good idea to harvest a smashed deer unless you know what you're doing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zedprime posted:

It's kind of what guard rails and medians are for. Hitting something (including and especially deer even in a truck) will 100% ruin your day while putting it in the ditch will maybe only ruin your day 75% of the time.

As always the proper procedure is to treat cars in the gore zone and all deer as life ending missiles and slow down and give them a wife berth before they idiotically get in front of you.

Always throw your wife between you and harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Chemists bad at working glass.

That's my assumption too.