Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Kith posted:

Sound is highly recommended

https://i.imgur.com/UU2nyGK.mp4

Have they never seen a diff lock before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Raveen posted:

I went to Hawaii for geology field trip right after college graduation. Visited the Kilauea flows when it was barley active and grabbed samples like that. The heat was crazy and you had to move quick to get some with no protection. The best way I can describe feeling/texture of lava would be silly putty. Went late in the day and stayed till it got dark, very cool to see lava at night, but then you step over a small crack and you see an orange glow through it and it freaks you out a bit. I would say the biggest danger would be the gasses or the razor like lava rocks.

Speaking of Kilauea, Big Island Video News are making regular updates on the current eruption. Here's their latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcqScSOUiL8

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Or that time they accidentally shot a house with a cannon.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

People who hate mythbusters love to bring this one up. “Oh they shot an actual cannonball from an actual cannon and it ended up in a house in a residential neighborhood” which is all true but in their defense that could have happened to anyone shooting a cannon in a populated area

Not me. I love to bring it up because I liked the show.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not even remotely. This is why they eventually got rid of them and spun them off into their own trainwreck of a show, because no one wanted to see their segments on Mythbusters.

It has been a long time since I saw the show, so I may not remember it correctly, but I thought the early episodes with those were better than the later because they weren't made to ham things up. For example I recall a later episode where they dressed up as goats or something equally dumb.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Der Kyhe posted:

:D

My point being that this is what happens when Mythbusters is brought up. Not any of the ~400 tests or things they built, interesting stuff they tested, nor the elaborate scenarios they built up, but always this or something related to the ones they hosed up.

So what? :confused:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think they did it twice; first with a small boat which didn't support the myth, then later again with a medium sized fishing vessel where they said there might be something to it.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Cartoon Man posted:

Let’s build a giant massive slide that dumps you onto a bunch of rocks in the woods.

I think the kid achieved a higher terminal velocity due to the slide being wet.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Remulak posted:

I love this guy, purely and unironically.

He isn’t an old-school stuntman that did this over the weekend, he’s an actual no-poo poo-railroad-head that took real falls and damned near got CUT IN HALF. I’ve watched this at least 8 times and the only mat is the one he calls out- he takes the other hits!

I barely remember Archie Bunker, but if this was his day-to-day work then Christ that guy deserved a break instead of a sanctimonious son-in-law.

This is one of the few youtubes where I've found reading the comments section to be informative:

quote:

The man in this film Is Mr. Glen Roper. He worked on the Union Pacific railroad in many capacities over the years. He had done some stunt work in movies (I don't know which ones) and had also on occasion performed as a professional wrestler as the "Masked Marvel". I met Mr. Roper in Los Angeles when I went to inquire about employment on the U.P. and he was in the personnel office at that time (Oct.1973) and I hired out as a laborer in Maintenance of Way. In 1974 I went into engine service and Mr. Roper was giving the rules classes to us. He had worked in train service for many years. He was very knowledgeable of many aspects of railroading. Those old heads from that generation were a bunch of tough , hard working people. They were an interesting bunch and I was glad to have had the opportunity to learn from them.

And welcome to the wonderful world of watching old work safety films! :)
To help the youtube algorithm inveigle you even further, may I suggest a short film about safely working on electrified rail tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmCak0HDD8o

My own idea for how to safely work on electrified rails is don't work on electrified rails holy poo poo!! :psyduck:, but people obviously had other ideas back then.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Phy posted:

Or possibly Pugsley

*slowly checks comically oversized wrist watch*

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Phy posted:

I am saying that Atticus is an Addams

ah, I was interpeting you literally when I should have been figurative

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's about money which everyone cares about more than the dead person.

The solution must be to make it easier to commoditize corpses.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

MikeCrotch posted:

I've nearly been knocked off my bicycle twice by Prius' sneaking up on me on me in milk float mode

w-what?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Ah, thanks! :)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Still Fluxing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmAr78FK44g

Train crashes into bus in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Helvete!

helvete

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I can't hear completely; does he say his meter maxes out at 15000 volts?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Wait, holy poo poo, does plutonium normally look like it is glowing red hot?! :psyduck:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think I was meaning to ask if it was normal for it to be glowing red hot? Did it just come out of the plutonium furnace or is it hot because of radiation?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

FogHelmut posted:

Radiation, and also pure plutonium ignites in the presence of oxygen. Could be one or the other or both. Plutonium 238 in particular heats up from radiation.

Green associated with radiation comes from old radium watches and other consumer devices. The green glow actually comes from phosphorus which glows green in the presence of radiation.

Wow that's amazing and scary at the same time. I wonder how they keep it safe in the bombs.

e:

Zudgemud posted:

Radiation. They use this cool property of plutonium to make really long lasting compact and durable power sources for satellites too.

Thanks!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

ram dass in hell posted:

it's not safe, it triggers a chain reaction and large explosion actually

then explain how they plan to ship the components and technicians undetected into enemy territory, and manage to assemble it and without killing the crew

explain that mister scientist :smug:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Ever hear of uranium glass?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

low key sex master posted:

Dude came very close to a split face

Missed out on a hecking cool scar though.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I got another timelapse video in mind where they replace a railway bridge in a few days, it also shows how the replacement bridge is cast in concrete nearby and then moved into postition. I think it's really neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ca9xVYJqk

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

starkebn posted:

look ma, it's my wiley coyote impersonation!!

holy poo poo did that guy die?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

It looks like someone tried converting a field gun into a swivelable siege artillery, but I'm curious if it actually worked. I'd guess the entire structure would collapse the first time the gun was fired, not to menton reloading seems to be very difficult.

I'm guessing this was used during the American civil war, but do anyone have more info? I reverse image searched it but all I got was memes.

By popular demand posted:

How do you get the crew to stay around for six loving hours on a floating bomb?

very carefully :haw:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Platystemon posted:

It’s a German gun, 7.7 cm FK 96 n.A. of the Great War, pressed into antiaircraft duty.

Thanks. :)
I searched and found another picture of this gun used in the role as anti-aircraft:https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/8335756270
That entire flickr album has a lot of WWI photos.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

By popular demand posted:

Had_a_bad_day.jpg

blyat.pg

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

oh my god that poor train driver must have been making GBS threads bricks

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

CommieGIR posted:

What the hell IS this?!

It's a device that's making me cry with laughter.

Some semi-personal OSHA: I got a friend who's doing some microbiotics lab-work for his thesis, and his experiment has been giving him a lot of trouble so he's currently saddled with a lot of overtime. He did a little night time labwork over the weekend and noticed that someone had forgotten to turn off a lamp in an adjacent lab room. He goes to fiddle with the lamp to see if there's an off-switch, he can't find one so he shrugs and leaves it turned on. All of this took about a minute.
The next day his eyes are itchy and he has a light sunburn in his face - the lamp turns out to be a very powerful UV light that is used to disinfect the lab, but it shouldn't have been set up like that or left on without some sort of warning sign on the door.

He's fine now and there's being done a whole lot of safety report writing, but imagine if he had tried fiddling with it some more, or if someone else had gone to work in the lab without knowing about the lamp.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Guys I have an idea; why not just get an even bigger ship in there to push the other one out of the way?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

FCKGW posted:

Oh the US is pretty good at doing that too

please oh please tell me he shoots fire out his dick :pray:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

The Bloop posted:

Can we please just get a Jaeger with a racist name to grab it out of there

what's a racist name? :confused:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think an argument against putting the tailings back is that it's an uneccesary cost, and since there's no legislation against just dumping it on open ground whilst laughing and twirling your moustache that's what people do.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
In the same vein; explosive hydroforming of spherical tanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96yhdnhPxAw

I wonder what would happen if the weld seams in one of the tanks failed.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Memento posted:

There's a really neat Richard Feynman video about this stuff that I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwDvbIfkos

I found a video from the 22nd annual Wheel Rail Interactions Conference where they show this with a small model. Incidentally they also filmed it in a way that makes it look like they're all alone in a conference hall playing with their train wheels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCid4AlHu9A

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
They lower the jack in the full video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qv7y0W_mNM

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Varkk posted:

In a teaching lab they were used for shielding in radiation experiments. Some were used for studies of momentum and others was specific heat and thermal mass experiments. Any time you wanted to do something with a sense, heavy object. Being wrapped in paper probably helps with the health and safety aspect of handling lead.

The physics department here has a synchrotron in the basement that I've been down to see a couple of times. They've got lead bricks like this all over the place to shield against radiation, the bricks are wrapped in some sort of clear plastic resin. But yeah its primary function is for health purposes as lead is toxic.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

wow, if he had been a few seconds late that could have turned bloody. :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Cthulu Carl posted:

Baumgartner Restoration did a POV video of him restoring a painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HowbckxJTo

It's not much, but he DOES accidentally stab himself with a metal tool. He should also probably use more breathing protection in his videos... And maybe stop working with a mouthful of tacks...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and stop walking around with a razor blade in his mouth...

I love that guy, well maybe not so much after he began advertising for poo poo halfway through the films but they are easy to skip over. Another youtube channel I like to watch is a guy who makes small dioramas, also very relaxing. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyyp7X9QBvJh6mIoQYJmUuA