Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BMan posted:

Didn't stop them from using lead pipes, lead cups, lead cooking pots, and white lead face paint

I read an article once that tracked the rise and fall of roman industry by the concentration of lead pollution in glaciers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

When they get that toddler out and just toss the kid to the side.

Depending on how long the toddler was down there, it might be in serious trouble and that's what you need to do.

And it will work out in the long run. That boy will spend the rest of his life being the hero who saved the well baby and the well baby will spend the rest of its life being the dipshit who fell down a well.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve never seen it used on a fence, but that’s a legitimate style of wood finish. I’ve only seen it done with furniture and decorative items.

I've seen a couple episodes of Grand Designs where they use it on house siding.

Although they did the torching on the wood before they attached it to the house.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zeond posted:

There's also the USS Intrepid museum on the Hudson River in NYC which has the late WWII carrier and the USS Growler which carried the very first submarine launched nuclear cruise missiles. They also have a Concorde on the pier and the shuttle prototype Enterprise as well as an impressive number of airplanes parked on the carrier's deck.

There's no shortage of museum ships to visit in the US. In addition to Texas, Alabama and SC I think there's also another WWII carrier in San Francisco and the Pearl Harbor museum complex includes the battleship Missouri and a late WWII submarine.

The Midway (mentioned earlier) is now a museum ship in San Diego. It's worth a visit if you're in town.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

no, it actually just crawled inside and died

But not before laying eggs.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

what would MRE Steve do

"nice hiss"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Log082 posted:

The stream just went to break (it's a local news stream, but it's just a live stream of the firefighting when it's on) but before it did it looked like they were dropping on the island? Presumably they think it's worth trying to save something, or at least put it out so salvage can begin sooner. There was also a small but noticeable list.

The ship is docked right outside of central San Diego and the whole city stinks like a burning computer right now. Even if they're ready to scrap the ship, they need to put it out just to spare the city from a week of breathing toxic smoke.

https://twitter.com/NWSSanDiego/status/1282656748604514304?s=20

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/hoaxeye/status/1282707757808918529?s=20

The original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZokGDoG8E

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

why is one "liquified" and one "molten"? very inconsistent

One is molten because it is a solid rendered liquid by heat and one is liquefied because it is a gas rendered liquid by pressure.

Maybe both could technically be "liquefied" but where is the fun in that?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cats look so goddamn strange when they get wet.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That bugged me so much when I saw it, I even left a comment on the video about it.

I am now officially Old Man Yells at Clouds.

With some people, all you can do is hope for the best and try to stay out of the splash zone.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Are the hospitals in Europe filled with 19 year olds with shattered ankles?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

The gently caress is that no-reason slack in the line.

The belayer wasn't paying attention?

One of the plot points in that Free Solo documentary a couple years back was the climber getting injured when his girlfriend did the same thing and let him drop too far during a fall.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Non-native speaker overemphasizes wrong consonant in contrast to their own language, news at 11.

You can hear two distinct syllables.

Excuse me sir - denying that Hendrix is singing "excuse me while I kiss this guy" is queer erasure and I demand a public apology.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ha - I was just about to write a joke about how this was the natural conclusion of the evolution of the Flaming Lips. I didn't know it was actually the Flaming Lips.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Flannelette posted:

One of my relatives said he got good at this and modifying the rockets in university where they used to have fireworks battles between the two dorms across a street for a couple of years before the police shut it down.
There's a good black and white photo of it somewhere but all I can find is the old newspaper story.
https://www.odt.co.nz/1975-rocket-war-lights-sky-over-university

There's a village in Greece that has a tradtion like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkI4Iqm-1Wg

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Truck status: fuckled

Is that the bridge's score against trucks?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

One of the YouTube boat projects is crowd sourcing the Elon Musk route to getting batteries for their boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baR860wxzU&t=142s

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

More like George Lucas killed a man just to see how it felt.

Come now, he's no John Landis.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

No, that's a Stanisław Lem story (Eight Voyage from The Star Diaries, IIRC).

Reminds me of Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers. It's the book that Stalker was based on.

A character tries to explain the stuff the aliens left behind with this metaphore:

quote:

A picnic. Picture a forest, a country road, a meadow. Cars drive off the country road into the meadow, a group of young people get out carrying bottles, baskets of food, transistor radios, and cameras. They light fires, pitch tents, turn on the music. In the morning they leave. The animals, birds, and insects that watched in horror through the long night creep out from their hiding places. And what do they see? Old spark plugs and old filters strewn around... Rags, burnt-out bulbs, and a monkey wrench left behind... And of course, the usual mess—apple cores, candy wrappers, charred remains of the campfire, cans, bottles, somebody’s handkerchief, somebody’s penknife, torn newspapers, coins, faded flowers picked in another meadow.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

watching some trainhopping vids and the guy's usual insanely dangerous climbing on roofs is outshined by sitting right over the wheels of this train:

A YouTube boat building series I watch did a profile of one of the people who work on it. Part of it was the guy describing his stint traveling around the country by hopping freight trains and, thanks to this thread, all I could think about was how lucky he was to get though that expierience with his limbs intact.

The next segment was that same guy describing how he got the nickname "no feet Pete."

edit: I should just link the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR5jwxJcEGc&t=996s

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it looks like it would be really obvious that there is something inside the wing.

Maybe there was also a cat in the starboard wing and he thought that's just how that plane was built.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Is this an OSHA approved method of securing parts being welded? Start at 9:50 if the link doesn't work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1oKkvCQUg&t=590s

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

On the subject of scuttling, the WWI German fleet interned at Scapa Flow scuttled themselves by opening their seacocks:

quote:

Around 10:00 a.m. on 21 June 1919, Reuter sent a flag signal ordering the fleet to stand by for the signal to scuttle. At about 11:20 the flag signal was sent: "To all Commanding Officers and the Leader of the Torpedo Boats. Paragraph Eleven of to-day's date. Acknowledge. Chief of the Interned Squadron."[24] The signal was repeated by semaphore and searchlights.[25] Scuttling began immediately: seacocks and flood valves were opened and internal water pipes smashed.[26] Portholes had already been loosened, watertight doors and condenser covers left open, and in some ships holes had been bored through bulkheads, all to facilitate the spread of water once scuttling began.[26] One German ship commander recorded that before 21 June, seacocks had been set on a hair turning and heavily lubricated, while large hammers had been placed besides valves.[27]

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

Some free range organic locally sourced truckfuckling sort of near me:

that must have made a noise

That's a bridge in the United States. It was probably like that before the crane hit.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

packetmantis posted:

I wouldn't think software engineering has OSHA, there's just professional standards.

Unless you're programming the Therac-25.

The problem with software development is that everyone ought to be developing as if they were programming the Therac-25 but always end up developing as if they did program the Therac-25.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I just don't know why a forklift has to be involved, or at least why they have to be so high up.

It looks like the guy is thinking the same thing.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

What's the procedure for when planes bump into each other on the ground like that?

Does the NTSB or whoever have to do a full investigation as they would on a crash? And do the planes need to go through a specified level of inspection before they fly or do the airlines just exchange insurance info and figure it out for themselves?

Edit: I mean for the winglet collision, not the planes swimming upstream to spawn.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ascending_xylophone.wav

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Brutalism covered in green plants is indeed cool - good brutalist designs often have really generous open spaces, but they need the plants to make that feel pleasant instead of oppressive.

Liking Brutalism with Trees is like saying that you think a person is attractive so long as they are hidden behind another more attractive person.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Brutalism with ivy is more like thinking people look better in the right clothes. The shape of the walls and windows are hard to hide.

The defining character of brutalism is the user of naked raw concrete and strong geometric shapes. Covering all that with plants nullifies those qualities.

You don't like brutalism - you like plants. Just say you like plants.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

pink still means you can add another beam or two, when it hits hard red is when it falls down

https://twitter.com/okSettleDown/status/1408075015157911552?s=20

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

There was also a second big crash later in the race that nearly took out a spectator and her child:

https://twitter.com/nyvelocity/status/1408807834934992896?s=20

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Dude, this just reads as attempted justification. Maybe don't do that. "They didn't deserve that" and then "But nobody liked them" isn't doing the lifting you think it is.

The Dollop episode on them is remarkable for how it handles this. 3/4 of the episode is just building up how terrible MOVE was and how hostile they were to their neighbors. In any other situation they would be the villians of the story.

Then the cops show up and by the end of the episode you're on MOVE's side.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

sigher posted:

A what? Please tell me there's a .gif of this.

There are a few videos of them on YouTube, at least.

I think this video has the audio gated to mute the shots, but here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJG3uTUJ2J8

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mozi posted:

i was curious about that one, is it an exhibit? there's no marks on the wall from where previously attached stairs would have been.

It might have only been attached to the wall every 4 treads or so. It also looks like it has a small gap between the wall and the staircase for some reason.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I just saw a small scale version of this on a very non-OSHA boat building YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zNV3-6rQg&t=285s

Also, unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nECI0qdQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The image of the guy sucking on a vape and staring at his phone right before the elevator starts to fill is certainly emblematic of something.