Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I know that the average F-35 pilot knows better than I do, but that looked like it could have easily been handled by cutting the throttle after crashing with less damage than blowing the canopy and cooking the cockpit.

You are presuming that he did not already cut the throttle and the engine listened. This is an F-35, it works only by the grace of god when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God that movie is fantastic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Can't park there mate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Can't park there mate

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Glagha posted:

Okay so that dude's definitely a cop right

I think he's eating bacon dipped in cream of mushroom soup concentrate from that campbel's can in the console.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

piL posted:

I don't think it's a PIT if the target merges into it.

It's not a pit because it's not a pursuit. It's just sparkling road rage

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edk_mAeU2kU&t=80s

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

Breeder reactors used to be cooled with stuff like molten sodium, :stare:mercury, or :stare:NaK:stare:.

Speaking of coolant leaks.

quote:

The Soviet RORSAT radar satellites were powered by a BES-5 reactor, which was cooled with NaK. In addition to the wide liquid temperature range, NaK has a very low vapor pressure, which is important in the vacuum of space.

An unintended consequence of the usage as a coolant on orbiting satellites has been the creation of additional space debris. NaK coolant has leaked from a number of satellites, including Kosmos 1818 and Kosmos 1867. The coolant self-forms into droplets of sodium–potassium of up to several centimeters in size. These objects are space debris.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Mate, I’m not talking about the bulbous bow - I know what those do.

I’m talking about that triangle that’s welded on to the front of the ship. The one whose paint doesn’t match the rest.

E: maybe that triangle is part of how they looney-tuned a bulbous bow on it, idk - looks awful.

It's the same paint, the difference is that the triangular part is flat and showing that flat side to the camera. The bow is round and is not.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yes but how will that stop some jerk from merging in front of me. IT'S MY LANE, I EARNED IT!

On my drive in this morning I have to change lanes pretty quickly to make the turn lane I need and more often then not when someone sees my blinker they speed up trying to not let me over. It happened again this morning and the rear end in a top hat driving the brodozer tailgated me and layed on his horn.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

No way is that thing over 8500 pounds

Batteries are very heavy yo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No pictures but my friend changed a light switch this morning without turning off the breaker and nothing happened. She mentioned this to her Electrical Engineer husband who was like "You turned the breaker off right?"

She thought he was just being "Fussy" so when she went to replace an outlet in the same room she still didn't turn off the breaker and got zapped by house current.

She has since learned that she was just very lucky earlier and he wasn't being fussy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've been hit so many times I'd probably be a subject in this thread if there were cameras around.

I've definitely dropped a line with house current into my lap and hit my junk and leg.

I once carried a motorcycle battery and a GIANT transformer in a gym bag to school and used to surprise people with wires taped to my hand and a push button switch.

In our electronics class when a kid was getting too annoying we'd start playing with the tesla coil and then someone else would show them the trick off grabbing the coil and then waving their hand around and giving off sparks. And then he'd grab their wrist to show them it was no big deal once you grabbed the source.

Meanwhile behind them i'd grabbed the grounding rod and then i'd touch the inside of their elbow or their earlobe or something.

Yes I was a little poo poo as a teenager why do you ask?

Edit: Oh yea, there was another one where I was working on making a jacob's ladder with a neon transformer and I went to turn it off at a rocker switch and my leg touched one of the leads. This was fine, except that when I turned it off the kickback from the field collapse surge blew right through the rocker switch and hit me hard enough to stop me from breathing. I don't know if the chest compressions I did on myself against the side of the bed helped or not, but it loving hurt.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 10, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is hypnotic. I wonder if I can rent one and how it handles PNW moss.

I've rented these things out in the PNW and they work wonderfully and you're a fool to try and pressure wash a driveway without one. Even without a hot water pressure washer it's leagues better than just wanding.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just realized he's holding and inspecting the foot that doesn't even get hit.

It goes past the one in the air and lands on his tippy toes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HAmbONE posted:

I am looking at that and I, an adult, cannot think of how one safely connects a second hose

Turn the water off. Take the cap off. Install hose. Turn water back on;

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

New spyhunter movie looking like it's got low production values.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

This could have been really bad. American Airlines 777 crosses a runway it shouldn't have while a Delta Airlines 737 is about to takeoff.

https://twitter.com/thenewarea51/status/1614607688427601920

I'm terrible at radio calls, but it sounds like they were told they could cross the runway.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just Cause you can do something doesn't mean you should

:golfclap:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Well that's horrifying.

Only if you've never had to pluck chickens by hand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Isn't the whole point of using a wire rather than blades with these things in the first place so that you don't get pieces of jagged metal flying around if it hits something like a rock?

Partly. Also whip style cutters don't work on woody weeds nearly as well as blade style.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I understand getting crushed, but the hell is a telescopic urinal? What part is telescoping? WHY is any part of a urinal telescoping?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ah, that clears that part up. But also this was in the article.

"There is no risk of anybody being dragged underground as they relieve themselves on the early morning deadline. The raising and lowering mechanism can only be activated by a council street warden, who must be on the spot to do so."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, yea there's that but there's also the dude who was just in the back the whole time who could have hoped to the driver's door and pull the brake instead of waiting for the guy on top to do it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

old bean factory posted:

you will never hit iron hard enough for it to suddenly glow red hot lol.

It wasn't sudden, he whacked it really hard like 30 times.

You can bend thin metal fast enough to burn you just by hand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

You really want the bidet on cold, trust me.

This is a terrible plan and you should not trust this person.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

Aside from lack of a handrail, this is probably fine. I bet from the POV of the person on the stairs there are no gaps to fall through with the treads bending up like that.

Well, the curved outside edges on the bottom 3.5 stairs is probably a problem. Also the fact that there's no kick boards are just begging for you to break your face going up them at some point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

raggedphoto posted:

Why would a vet want to revisit the place where they have spent their entire adult lives trying to forget?

Maybe trying to make sense of the insanity they experienced and see the place full of culture and regular people doing things to replace the twisted version they have in their heads.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or damp

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Can't park there mate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Luneshot posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the dark haze around the smoke column is- I think the smoke plume is continuing above the clouds and casting a shadow, as seen on weather satellite?

It's not continuing above the clouds. It is the cloud. That's the problem. It's not dissipating and is just dispersing evenly around in a big ole lenticular cloud over the area.

It's a mushroom cloud but more in the shitake mushroom and not the white button type.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pet the dog. That's what you do.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The parts he's grabbing is the insulation. Once the wires are touching he's safe* to touch the actual wires as long as he stays insulated from ground via the flip flops.

*for various values of safe

Zomborgon posted:

My only guess is that some of those cables are circuited in parallel with the others so the two halves are already at the same voltage, thus there isn't a potential across his arms

If there was no potential there wouldn't be any sparks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

I could have sworn he was touching the contact prongs but perhaps not both at once

As far as the sparks aee concerns, I figured that things get weird when you get to near-contact of two low resistance parts suddenly taking up current

It's the potential energy differential that makes anything with electricity happen. Any work done is caused by it, so motors spinning, buzzers buzzing, sparks zapping.

But if you watch it again you'll see he only ever has one point of contact with the wires until such time as the wires are already touching. And he's not grounded so that time he grabbed the wire without insulation there was nowhere for it to go.

I've held a single contact of a 5kv transformer while the other contact was being held by someone else and I wasn't grounded and was fine. It was very stupid though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Occupational Superbowl Halftime Administration

For those of you who haven't seen the greatest halftime show ever made, and one of the best concerts produced, first enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYYlRArn3g

Now as to why it's topical in this thread.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2020/1/29/21112539/prince-halftime-show-oral-history-super-bowl-xli

quote:

It was just unheard of to have a driving rainstorm in February. So everybody started watching the radar and everybody kept telling us that the good news is that the radar looks like it’s gonna clear up when the show goes on. We had no Plan B.

quote:

The morning comes, and I get up really early, and it’s storming. It wasn’t like rain. It was like somebody was throwing buckets of water at the window.

quote:

the executives were concerned about the rain and about electrocution and they were like, “We can always pretend that you’re singing” and have everything off and just play the track. And Prince was like, “I’m Prince, I’m gonna play live.”

quote:

I finally heard from one of the people downstairs and I said, “Is Prince OK?” And then he said, “He wants to know if you can make it rain harder.” I was like, “We’re gonna be OK

quote:

That stage had a bunch of moving parts and it was pouring rain. Supposedly part of the stage wheeled over a cable and severed the cable, and some very heroic guy had to plug in this cable in a pouring rainstorm and probably risk serious electrocution.

quote:

There was a man on our lighting crew whose name was Tony Ward. And Tony, realizing we were now counting down to going on the air, took his pliers and stripped the insulation off the three cables. And he inserted them into a plug, just raw, and held that for the entire 12-and-a-half-minute duration, in the rain.

quote:

You just have to realize that the floor is this slippery tile. It looks dope but when it got wet it was like standing on glass.

Also it entertains me greatly that Prince, a man famous for not wanting to do press conferences, did one for the halftime show.

And instead of answering any questions he just did a concert at the press

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Cyclone Gabrielle is currently pummelling parts of New Zealand. Imagine Hurricane Sandy, but in the other hemisphere. Nationwide state of emergency has been declared.

Here’s a video of a bridge being swept away:
https://ioc.exchange/@spmatich/109859735237604995

And some other reports:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/484187/live-weather-updates-cyclone-gabrielle-unleashes-fury-across-north-island

So it's spinning the other direction?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Learjetz/status/1625316663108460544

May I present to you: Ohio.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Borscht posted:

Jesus Christ the cops are right there doing nothing.

That's their default position

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You don't even have to do that you can just print it. Absolutely no one checks these and as stated there's no Central governing authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Of the 3 workers' comp insurance companies i've worked with from the employer's side, not one has even asked if we even have a forklift training regime, let alone some 3rd party certs. That should tell you how meaningless they are.