Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the last amd cpu i used was the original sledgehammer opteron.

my friend and i were dumbfounded when it completely shithoused his 3GHz P4 compared to mine at 1.8GHz.

then it happened to me when he got a socket 479 motherboard that took pentium m’s. he was getting 10%+ more performance than my opteron out of a 1.6GHz chip. ultimately intel did go back to P6 based kit, but at the time we were so confused as to why intel wasn’t making this their flagship to dunk on amd. as opposed to using some hacky chinese motherboard that supported a laptop chip.

tldr; intel was dumb in the early 00’s. it’s a miracle that they survived netburst and itanium. more likely their strongarm tactics with oem’s more than acts of god though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

netburst was not as dumb a screwup as the combo of their 10nm now being half a decade late and their speculative execution leaking information in the stupidest ways possible though.
yeah, if you’re on haswell or newer, there’s been no reason to upgrade in over 5 years. hell, sandy/ivy will probably hold you over.

that’s a lot of processors not being sold.

the only thing keeping intel going is the fact that laptop oem’s are forced to buy whatever intel is making at the time and are also slaves to the whims of retail, needing a new model FOR DADS AND GRADS every year.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

the massive irony of that ancient cartoon
but the original cartoon had both axis’s as cores, which is what made the joke work.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i want cores so i can run every os simultaneously. literally the worst computer. hell, i even want 4-way smt just because.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
who needs an esd strap when im wearing my lucky computer buildin socks?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
intel has the cash to ad blitz the hell out of some nonsense like avx 512 but they lack their cold cynical hearts that they had in the 90’s. breaking out the breakdancing clean suit guys and hyping up “Advanced Vector X” technology instead of Core i7 n+1 gen will move way more units because people are still idiot rubes, now more than ever.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

intel really needs a chip that does something even more obscene to a thread than just rip them

threadraper?

threadshredder? threadmincer? threadobliterator?

threadfucker yep that’s it
threadmolester, with integrated suppressed memory controller.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
threadstomper58

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

the scythe coolers are also pretty good but yeah, this is yospos and we jam our computers full of noctua tan. join the cult. nobody has ever left it.
i got one that nearly fills the entire volume of the itx case it’s in.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

both my 4670 box (with a 150mm) and my ryzen box (with a 120mm) have <4mm clearance between the heatpipes and the side panel. i fill those fucken cases UP
my brother sold me the computer for probably not much more than just that heatsink/fan is worth, heh.

e: i even think it might be one of those dual fan models, but im not cracking open a perfectly working itx box to look. it idles at like 20c, somehow less than room temperature, so does it even matter at that point?

Laslow fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 11, 2020

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
also i’m jealous of jonny and the rest of you zenhavers. since i’m on a haswell at the moment, but it does everything i do instantly still despite being 6 years old because it’s a 4GHz xeon with enough ram and ssds to hold out til ddr5. just some major upgrade blueballs because im from an era where 18 months was the standard upgrade cycle. not like i really miss that, ofc.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

core 2 completely broke the 18 month new computer cycle and i for one am here for it. The PC shop I worked in shut down because core2 and ipads shattered the lovely-pc-for-grandma market.
hell yeah. my core 2 quad lasted me from ‘08-‘15. it just sucks because i like building computers. but nothing now is gonna replicate the feeling of going from a 1 core opteron to a c2 quad. or slapping in an intel x25-m(after paying a king’s ransom for 80 gigs, lol) and having windows 7 beta install in like 10 minutes.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i forget the model number but i still have a core2 1.83 ghz box bopping around and it absolutely browses and plays tf2 just fine even with integrated video
My old C2Q 2.6GHz is still fine, it’s a DDR3 board which may help. If my current computer melted down and had to use it as a backup, I wouldn’t notice a difference except for games newer than GTA5. That’s 12 years old. Imagine trying to use an original Macintosh as your main computer in the year 2000.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

anyway I’m probably gonna buy a seagate exos hard drive and huff all the helium out of it
i got a helium hd and it’s not any lighter than a regular one. total scam!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
hell yeah. if you don’t stare at task manager’s logical cpu core graph for like five minutes after a fresh cpu upgrade are you really even computering?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

fart simpson posted:

maybe i should just give up on gpus and get a ryzen 4750g and make a tiny mini itx build that’s better than my intel hasbeen 4590
i got a 1050ti that fits in its tiny itx prison just fine. a 1050ti or 1650 will murder that apu and won’t add noticeable heat or noise.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

look GPUs still exist!

you can choose from a gt 710 or a radeon 5450.
i lent my brother a 3gb GTX580(full fat fermi!)to hold him over like 2 years ago for Madden and it’s still in service. tbf it’s every bit as powerful as my 1050ti(on iommu bitch duty) but at like 5x the tdp, lol.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i use an ibm os in tyool 2021 and it works pretty good actually. just waiting on the rhel to os/3 rebranding.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
alder lake is interesting at least. not that it’ll be great or anything, but because it’s weird. BIG.huge on x86? that’s certainly... something.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
someone gifted me a 4850x2 hand-me down, which got paired with my existing 4850, so i briefly had a triple crossfire setup. it worked ok with the 3 games that utilized it at all. they got replaced by a nvidia fermi, the king of power efficiency of its day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

for convenience intel will cease using node sizes in marketing. the new way of reporting processes will be by number of pluses: currently +10+.
it’s what amd did for megahertz back in the day, so why not?