Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
MiSTer rocks, if a game plays on it, that's how I want to play that game now. I love this little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

They aren't 100% perfect, neither is (yet)

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SNES_MiSTer/issues

But, you'll likely notice no issues from either. Plus, the MiSTer SNES core can play all the special chip games (minus only a shogi game or two) and the Genesis core supports Virtua Racing, and Sega CD very soon.

Fun fact: the TerraOnion MegaSD can load Virtua Racing... thanks to getting permission to use the SVP chip implementation created for the MiSTer Genesis core.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

How hard is it to change cores on one of these things?

At any time in any core, you can bring up a OSD menu, to select roms/disk/files and adjust various settings, there's a Cores menu option in there and you can just select any other core you want.

It's as easy as picking a rom.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'll be sure to keep the OP updated with new cores.

I do have a question. I've seen some videos in which people organize their cores in folders, like Arcade, Console, etc. I created an Arcade folder in my SD card's root and put all my arcade rbfs+roms in there, but when I pull up the Core menu that folder doesn't appear. Is there anything I'm missing?

Name the folders with an underscore in front for them to appear in the core menu, like _Arcade, _Console, _Computer

Or even better, make a folder called Scripts, put this file in the folder, and then run it from the Scripts menu in the home menu. It'll download all of the cores and put them in those folders.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

You can also mount a network drive to "/cifs" and cores will check there for files. I've got my Sega CD games on my NAS while my other games are on the SD card, very slick.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Awesome. Sounds like I might be able to use a read-only user for it to connect to my NAS with, then, and just have the cores and saves on my SD card.

That works, but keep in mind some of the computer cores do save to the hard drive or disk image, which also lives in the Games folder. But, you can have individual games folders live on your NAS or sd card as desired.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

I know the "Is x going to be on MiSTer" gets asked a lot, but does anyone know if the 3DO has a chance to show up on MiSTer? I know I think I heard the PS1 is being worked on, I just don't know where the 3DO fits in with those consoles as far as complexity is concerned.

As far as I know, which aint drat near enough, it's probably physically possible, but no ones working on it, and it would be a lot of work.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

None of the arcade stuff is working, I assume I'm probably missing a step somewhere.

If you open your _Arcade folder, do you see a bunch of .mra files? or a bunch of .rbf files?

They are like 99.9% of the way to moving all to a new, easier, arcade standard that just uses mame roms instead of custom built rom files. If you're using a premade set, it's probably set up the old way, but the update script may have set up your file structure the new way, so things aren't auto-loading for you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The pack is also like a year old so it's missing many of the arcade games anyway.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

sorg is gonna kick your rear end

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/owlnonymous/status/1106261353390637056

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The normal update script just parses the core list on the wiki page, so as soon as it's on there, it's included in the updater, and that normally happens as soon as it's pulled into the official repo

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Arcade-Cores-List
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-MCR3Mono_MiSTer

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Unless it's something I'm really really excited about, I don't worry about it until it's on the official repo, and gets pulled in by the updater.

Outside of jotego's arcade stuff. He's keeping his stuff separate, but has his own update script anyway.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i use a 8bitdo ✌️

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Looks like the PC Engine CD core is on its way. Sorgelig started creating the commits this morning. Nothing we can actually play yet, but if the past is any indication it shouldn't be too long.

Oh hell yeah

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/iequalshane/status/1264352981153013760

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah gently caress yeah, now we're talkin'

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

There's a usb board but it's not required, a hub like this can do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/MakerSpot-Accessories-Charging-Extension-Raspberry/dp/B01JL837X8/

You need at least that because the port on the DE10-Nano is a micro-usb, like a phone

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm so happy about Spelunker.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MSX doesn't need it, X68000 does but it's being worked on now, as well as a beta PC-88 core which also currently needs it. When they are both finished, neither should use the secondary SD card. Don't bother.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 10, 2020

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My DE10-Nano arrives in the mail tomorrow! I've already received everything else that I want for it right now. I can't wait to start tinkering with it.

Hell yeah

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I never map his pause screens to a button.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

God I love The Punisher

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/nullobject/status/1349290714438356995

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Can someone help w/ getting mame set up? Or point to a good simple guide?

I know -

Step 1: update
step 2 : get mame rom zip
step 3: put somewhere? unzip it? something?
step 4: ???
step 5: run the mra file in the _arcade folder

step 1: delete any arcade stuff youve already tried to do
step 2: run update_all https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

univbee posted:

So are the cores for NES and SNES with 100% compatibility, or do some special chips cause some grief?

SNES is missing the chips for Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 1 & 2, and it doesn't do MSU-1. Someone has been working on MSU-1 on and off but I don't think they believe they can get both audio hacks and video hacks working, and since it's not an official chip it's not high priority.

You can see the list of supported NES mappers here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer
I don't think there's anything major in retail games missing but you'll hit snags for sure if you tour bootlegs and chinese hacks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

From what I know, which ain't enough: NES will probably never be 100% compatible with all mappers ever, because the way the system loads cores and games essentially means either you need to build a separate core for every mapper (and no one wants to pick which NES core to open before picking their game), or the core needs to have every chip available at once. Adding 200 one off bootleg mappers means the core code ends up a big mess, beyond the work to actually build them.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 18, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's a etsy search page with multiple sellers. In there, I can say Zerohimself is trustworthy. I've ordered from him multiple times.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Does mister support the weird chip that Far East of Eden Zero uses. It’s one of the only games that’s still unplayable on SD2SNES.

Yes. The SPC7110 is supported.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

univbee posted:

Thanks for this, didn't find it earlier.

I ran the GoodNES ROMset through with mapper separating. A few steps later, I had a full list of ROMs that aren't compatible. It seems the only stuff that's of any significance is VS stuff like VS Super Mario Bros, although there might be some serviceable mapper conversions that work.

Sick, good work

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm not a dev but I think the current big projects are hitting the limits of both what the system can handle and what devs can possibly do.

PS1 will be coming eventually, and the guy who did the SNES core (srg320) has started a Saturn project recently but even he's not sure if it'll fit in the MiSTer.

Jotego (the dev on the CPS1 and 2 cores) said this last year when he was working on CPS1 and was asked if CPS3 was possible:

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1260651228507168768

MiSTer is a massive amazing project already, but I think the the big exciting leaps still available will be older items still in progress, like the X68000, PC88, and PC98 cores.

IMHO get into for what it already has, if more comes, well you got that for free. I had mine set up before there even was SNES support, so this has been a real trip seeing it grow. But even if it never had grown, I would still be talking it up to my friends about how great it is.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

What's next after the DE10? It's been out a few years so I imagine another, more powerful, solution is waiting in the wings. It seems like just a matter of time before late 90s/early 00s stuff is able to be FPGA'd. Or am I totally misunderstanding the tech?

Get started writing a PS2 core now. Maybe you'll be done by the time a MiSTer 2 exists.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

hell yeah

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MiSTer supports both but I gotta be honest I've got no clue how to force one over the other.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ballz works and Pilotwings doesn't crash, so there's something going on.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

For those who use it on HDMI and a modern display, does input still feel quicker/less latency or is that mainly a CRT benefit?

It's still strong in those scenarios. Obviously the tv and controller will still be factors, but that's true of any HDMI setup.

I've played a bunch of GBA Rhythm Heaven over HDMI with no issue. I don't even think about it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah never needing to actually touch the sd card is one of the good features of the mister

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's an audio tape input board. A few old computer cores can accept real tape drive input through that (or you could play a recording of a mp3 through a audio cable)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/ADC-in-(Audio-Tape-input)

If you didn't order it, it's odd you got one.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The aluminum case is misteraddon's design. That's why only he has it.

You don't need the real time clock if you're connecting the device to your network, it can get the time off the internet at boot. I would recommend having it on your network because easily moving files onto it and updating it, or even keeping large files on a separate machine, is a major feature for the mister imo. But I guess it couldn't hurt if you're moving it between multiple setups a bunch.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

That's useful info; I was only getting it thinking it'd be needed for those choice few games like Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Are there any other recommended cases or is this one far and beyond worth waiting for? I'm really only concerned with the cooling and all-black design.

I used mine for two years without a case, and only just recently bought plates from zerohimself just for decoration. The big feature for the aluminum case is the passive cooling, but the tiny fan is drat near silent anyway.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone remember that guy from a few years ago maybe who's whole thing was "I review and talk about these expensive things" but then he uploaded a video about how much he loved some 2.4GHz mini keyboard mouse combo he got off Amazon?

Failing that, does anyone have any recommendations for something like that. a 2.4GHz mini keyboard and mouse combo? My keyboard is fine but it's cabled and big considering I just need the arrow keys, enter, and space OCCASIONALLY.

I found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNFY7t8tJLg

Still open to ideas if there's been any improvements in the past...5 years.

I've got one like this, dirt cheap stuff. The arrow keys in the top right work, the ok button in the center of the arrows works as an enter key, the home button next to those opens the mister menu. Perfect for quickly doing something, would be terrible for actually typing something long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283976647576?hash=item421e53c398:g:f9MAAOSwTa5fNC0W