Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Andertoons

Andy Capp

Animal Crackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Argyle Sweater

Beetle Bailey

Crankshaft

Dustin

Edge City

Family Circus

Funky Winkerbean
https://twitter.com/blindcomics/status/1145944947800981506

Hägar the Horrible

Herb and Jamaal

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Garfield

Hi and Lois

Intelligent Life

The Lockhorns

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Luann

Macanudo

My Dad is Dracula

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pluggers

Safe Havens

Take it from the Tinkersons

Zits

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I haven't seen Juggs Parker in here for a while. Is nobody posting that any more?

I was posting it, but I've been some combination of busy/lazy/drunk lately and haven't been. Also getting the ones I missed is currently a hassle because my Comics Kingdom account is broken and despite repeated back-and-forth with their support people they seemed unable to fix it, and have now stopped responding to my emails. :thumbsup:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Should I do that? Normally I'd agree with you but the images I post are extremely vertical and much more difficult to ignore if I don't tag them.

I appreciate when large comics I don't read are timg'd, and I never find it a particular hassle to enlarge the ones I do want to read. So you can take my opinion for whatever you think it's worth. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure their first or second date had them cosplaying as Star Trek officers and going to a con, so it's literally impossible for Gunther to not know that Bets is active in the cosplay scene.

My impression is that she's only just started and she already has fans because the Evanses only exposure to internet celebrities is when they suddenly show up on the Ellen show. So as far as the Evanses can tell, this completely unknown person just appeared out of nowhere with millions of subscribers and they assume that's just how it works. You start "streaming" (whatever that means) and then you're famous.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I knew Rachel was going to say that and I hate it. Having an actual lease is far more important for your future. You're comparing a personal relationship with a business relationship. If moving in with him before marrying him would be a mistake then so would actually marrying him. But the argument Bernice made yesterday about the danger of not having a formal lease was entirely valid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy
drat these new regulations! How am I supposed to do my job if I can't murder fleeing suspects?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think Allen understands Mark constantly whining during this expedition he agreed to come on just makes him seem like a weird killjoy
Not just agreed to, he's also being paid to be there.

Unlucky7 posted:

Why do all the characters in Funky Winkerbean look insufferably smug all the time?
Because they are insufferably smug all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

riderchop posted:

i need to be mad at the Evanses to live
Comic Strip Thread 2020: i need to be mad at the Evanses to live

Whatever she's got seems to be contagious, because Zak's looking pretty bad too.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Well, no, I wasn't thinking that until you brought it up.
What were you thinking then? What else does "going commando" even mean?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mandrake waves his hands.
:drac: Now you're stuck in a cage. Hang tight while I go rescue Narda.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

It means "not wearing underwear." No, I don't know why.
Yeah, that's the meaning I'm familiar with and the one the comic seemed to be implying, but EasyEW was apparently thinking something else?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

And by "found traces of genetic materials", she means took it from Mars without asking like the colonizer she is.

You could argue that it didn't belong to Mars either since it was the remains of previous invaders. I think technically the merfolk might be the closest thing to rightful owners?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

In lieu of Cathy I'm going to post Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For. Bechdel is more broadly lauded for her 2006 memoir Fun Home but her cartooning career begin in 1983 with the self-syndicated strip Dykes to Watch Out For. Initially a single panel strip before expanding to one-page vignettes and eventually the episodic narratives the comic is best known for, DtWOR appeared in an array of small press queer papers and magazines throughout the 80s, beginning with the feminist paper WomaNews before spreading to over 50 other independent publications including Hot Wire, The Philadelphia Gay News (my personal go-to for waiting rooms), Lesbian Contradiction, and Chicago Gay Life.

I remember someone posting some of the narrative era strips in one of the old threads and that I absolutely hated the protagonist and wondering why any of her friends put up with her. These early ones seem fine though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

While hunting for Staton/Curtis' Tracy fanfic(did you think I was joking?), I stumbled on these Minit Mysteries from the 50s. Enjoy:
The first two were pretty good puzzles for children. The second two are a bit Inspector Danger. Don't you know that women always take their hats off with two hands?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

coronatae posted:

Encyclopedia Brown also had one where a stolen key was hidden in a hotdog and the giveaway was that the mustard and sauerkraut had been added in the wrong order and apparently "nobody eats hotdogs that way"
Reminds me of the Inspector Danger comic where a pizza delivery guy was revealed as a fake because the pizza was cut into eight slices, and as I'm sure we all know, every pizza place in the entire world always cuts their pizzas, regardless of size, into six pieces.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

I was going to ask why the rabbit has a skunk spray but of course I know the answer is stupid and probably hosed up anyways so why bother.
She's actually a skunk disguised as a rabbit, because (I guess) they needed to get into/through rabbit-controlled territory.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 8/12/42
:roflolmao:

Archyduchess posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For (still 1986)
Where can I get a copy of that book? Doesn't have to be volume 4.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The only way I can make sense of this is that Fly-Face is suddenly in the room with them for some reason? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why not say that last bit out loud too?

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G
Sure, Tommie drank half a bottle of vodka in the time it took Sara to finish getting ready. Totally plausible.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 8/14/42

https://twitter.com/LuannDeGroot/status/1217195177112145928

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Holbrook really needs to decide if he wants science in his comics to be realistic or wild, whimsical magitech. He wants to have it both ways, but better writers who don't have to split their attention between three projects have tried and failed to do that.
When is science ever realistic in any of his comics?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft
"Trust but verify" is one of the most infuriatingly dumb phrases. The two things are mutually exclusive. Trusting means not checking. If you're verifying then you don't trust. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ULuLT1FVyY

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Only if you view trust as a black and white binary.

In what possible situation is verifying not a clear indicator of a lack of trust?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

Any academic or scientific writing unless you're operating off of a very strange and presumably depressing definition of "trust."

A lack of trust is exactly why you verify in science though? Not necessarily lack of trust in the people who did the research but certainly in their results. Not trusting things is the entire basis of science.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

If I didn't trust a scientist's data I'd just throw it out and not check their work with the whole empirical experimentation whosywhatsits.
That's the point? It's about taking trust out of the process entirely. You don't need to trust anything because you can verify it - either personally or by seeing that other independent researchers have all come out with the same results.

Schwarzwald posted:

To accept verification requires a baseline level of trust.

If you believe someone is mistrustful enough, you won't believe them regardless of the evidence they produce.
That's just not true at all. If you ask someone "did you bring the thing I asked for?" and you don't trust them at all, you'll still believe them if their answer is to present you with the thing. If you trusted them to bring it then you wouldn't ask, because you would already believe they had brought it. If you don't trust them then you require evidence, eg. seeing the thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

Big Nate
The plot of Cats is very straight-forward and easy to explain. The cats are competing in a talent contest, but the evil cat is cheating by kidnapping the other contestants. There's a lot about it that's weird and hard to explain, but the plot is easy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

To the best of my understanding, the prize in the talent contest is getting to die.
A lot of people say this but it's a complete mischaracterisation. They're competing to be reincarnated into their ideal life. And keep in mind that this is a world in which magic is just an everyday fact of existence, so they're likely correct about what's happening - and even if they weren't, their belief in this magical reincarnation means that in their own minds they're not competing to die. In fact, pretty much the opposite, since they get to live a whole extra life.

Zereth posted:

I haven't seen any version of Cats myself but one of the cats has "broken every human law"
Well, it's claimed that he has. One of the characters says it. That doesn't make it true.

Hobnob posted:

When the trailer for the movie came out and everyone crowed about it I was nonplussed. Like, have you ever seen a production of Cats? It looks pretty much exactly like that.
I've never seen the play and I never will because theatre is just what people had to put up with before we invented video, but the movie is fantastic. If I hadn't been sick and therefore only managed to get out and see it on the last day it was showing, I quite likely would have gone and watched it again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nancy is good. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Clowns are harmless you loving moron.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ikanreed posted:

But seriously has there ever been a black person in slylock?
There are three humans in Slylock Fox and two of them are green.

Haifisch posted:

Major Crime Squad
Ah yes, that common point of reference that we're all familiar with, the uzi.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

As is so often the case with Luann, I can't tell which of them I'm supposed to hate right now.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, I know this is just another thing of the Evanses making GBS threads on Tiffany for no reason, but yeah you're a college sophomore now Tiff.
So?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

riderchop posted:

Hey, whatever happened to reboot Alley Oop, who was posting it?

I was for a while but it was incredibly uninteresting. Not bad enough to hate, certainly not good enough to enjoy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't appreciate the "stay at home moms are stupid and they suck" attitude that a lot of people take. Luann tends to be a very Family Values strip, so I didn't expect to see it here.
But you failed to take into account the fact that literally anything a woman does is inherently stupid and shallow, which is why Luann, the only good one, never makes any decisions or does anything. It's not the particular choices they make but the fact that they've made them at all that Greg objects to.

EasyEW posted:

BoyLisa Vaguely Disappointed At The Success of His Coworkers

I feel like Batiuk thought we'd be surprised that the cheque was for her, but she's the only person working there who's even remotely famous, so who else would it be?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy
Is this Crimestoppers Textbook designed for people who live in Mad Max's world?

Actually, the more I think about it the less sense it makes. Not only is there the insane paranoia, there's also the fact that you're relying on a passer-by to make a phone call for you when there's about zero chance you don't have a mobile phone yourself. And why are you asking them to call the police?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Extreme tl;dr:
Last thread, Vargo made fun of Jame Sallen for using clip art. This made Jam Eseallen very mad, and also confused because he's an old man who doesn't understand twitter or how username tagging works/etc.

Jamesal Len responded by writing Mr. Social Media Diabetes as a Vargo insert of a sort. He also started drawing more non-clipart but this is supposedly because he was on vacation and using a tablet. The actual twitter slapfight stopped before this arc started, fyi.

If anyone wants the longer version, I documented the whole series of Twitter interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Am I reading this wrong or does that card basically imply "you're not a 'ten' as far as looks go, but at least you have other good qualities"?

Haifisch posted:

Considering dropping Rex Morgan from these unless it stops being terminally boring.
I'm still interested in seeing where it's going.