Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Ambaire posted:

I've got a philosophical question for you all.

How come, in games, non-consensual violence (shooting, stabbing, dismemberment, etc), especially like in Doom / Eternal ultra violence and stuff is just loving fine, but the moment anyone considers forcibly (non-consensual) poking sex organs with other sex organs in games, it's the horror of the century?

This culture has some loving weird psychological disconnects between sex and violence. Exploded corpses? Sure, go for it. Exposed titties? SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN/etc.

agreed we should be more conscientious of the "a demon being ripped in half by doom guy" survivors among us. there may be hundreds of cacodemons who lived through a doom guy punching their big eyeball suffering in silence that we simply ignore. sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Phlegmish posted:

even though you're not supposed to think of them that way since they're Germans who were born in the wrong decade

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Phlegmish posted:

I explicitly said I would not want to play a game that has rape as a game mechanic.

Phlegmish posted:

I also wouldn't mind too much if the game in question has you fighting an enemy that uses rape as a weapon

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, as in, the enemy is understood to have committed mass rape and that is one of the reasons why they're so bad and we have to fight them. Not that they use rape as part of the actual gameplay. How would that even work?

Yes completely insane, surely no goon would ever post anything remotely like that

v funny to be writing long walls of text but being unable to grasp why the structure of that sentence sounds the way it does

and the question "why is murder ok but rape is bad huh??" is a reddit incel mra question. no one cares about regular sex stuff. theres many types of violence of which rape is one that are often out of bounds because using them would be insanely gross, and especially using dooms violence as an example to put next to rape is a galaxy brain level comparison. none of this is complicated or difficult to understand if you re brain consists of more than a little earthworm wiggling around on your spine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Phlegmish posted:

If it's such a dumb and simple question, then just answer it instead of immediately going into twitter aggro mob mode because you think you might have spotted a wrongthinker and they have to pay.

if he was saying the earth was flat and people were calling him stupid would that be a twitter aggro mob spotting wrongthink as well or would he just be an idiot makes you think

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Hub Cat posted:

This isn't about the title, we just went through like a year of forums poo poo a lot of which was caused by an adversarial relationship between the mods and posters and here we have a case where it looked like the Mods(who generally have not posted in this thread outside of mod reasons) came in and acted arbitrarily after getting a firm no and instead of just saying "My bad" it feels like they are acting lovely.

It wasn't a big deal just a little oops, but not a great way to start the relationship.

losing my mind and getting self righteous because someone changed the name of the general pc gaming thread to the general pc gaming thread ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
love to talk about the situation in the last year where some now ex mods did literally heinous stuff to run interference for a domestic abuser and relate that to a thread title changing to better represent the content in it bcos i get upset and scared when something changes. anyway if you need to hear more PM me i hjave plenty more thoughts about things such as the new dcu direction and why zach snyder was robbed :cheers:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Hub Cat posted:

Hi please don't put words in my mouth. I'm absolutely not loving okay with the domestic abuser or mods covering for a domestic abuser but that is not what I am talking about and I'm pretty sure you know that. Call me a tedious baby overserious idiot afraid of change if you want but don't insinuate I'm a gamer shithead.

then why bring it up instead of saying "i dont agree with the title change" lol no one made you say "This isn't about the title, we just went through like a year of forums poo poo a lot of which was caused by an adversarial relationship between the mods and posters" which is directly referencing that and drawing a comparison, one which in this fair goosn opinion, is completely disgusting when the discussion is "the thread is the same but the title is different now, help". you literally say "this isnt about the title" i cannot read that post any more generously because u do not allow me to because of how you wrote it. in the future maybe just say you dont want the title changed instead of coming up with galaxy brain takes, that would be my advice.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Hub Cat posted:

Okay maybe I wasn't being clear mea culpa, I'm talking about the other nonlowtax related blowups like the Fyad thing, the cspam mod thing, the PPJ thing. Giant thread happening about the one right now.

It's is not about the title it's about mods not talking or listening turning into blowups.

ah right just all these other things that deal with serious issues and also are either by people literally not here anymore or specific mods in one subforum im guessing, dont knwo what the cspam thing is. but the other two are about mods who dont exist anymore and were about if people were being transphobic and harassing people, and about a mod playing friends with actual nazis. whereas here what we are dealing with is the high crime of a thread title changing to what the thread is actually about, and you felt the need to compare that to the former stuff unprompted and inexplicably. probably because the argument "i jsut dont like it" lacks the weight u were looking for when finding a reason for acting out over absolutely nothing. continuing to say "its not about the title" is directly and unequivocally framing a thread title being changed to what it should be to really serious stuff and you should stop saying that, probably.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Hub Cat posted:

You know what you're right. It was wrong to draw parallels to much more serious issues, and I was wrong to put the weight and emotional punch of very bad things other people did on people that weren't even mods when it happened over a thread title in the video game forum.

It was unhelpful and unfair for me to drag in bigger more serious issues because I was frustrated about other things when there were much kinder ways to frame it. I apologize for being a self righteous grandstanding jackass.

want to say i appreciate you saying this and believe that you werent meaning any harm or anything. im glad we could talk this out :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
with the glory of the vita u couldve experienced this gaming ambrosia in 2012

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

repiv posted:

Don't get too excited, Sony might just be porting their PS4 back catalogue to PC and keeping the new stuff for the PS5

Like how they ported H:ZD to PC but there's been absolutely no indication whatsoever that the sequel will be ported

prob going to be this esp w them popping off about having a big fast ssd to do stuff like r&c which wouldnt be portable to pc for a good while yet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The SSD stuff on PS5 is completely overblown and would've been entirely portable to the PC years ago, let alone today. Plus you don't even need a fast SSD to do what Ratchet is doing, just program the game competently. Sony is just finding interesting looking stuff to slap their "only possible with the PS5 SSD" label on.

cannot wait to buy a ssd that doesnt exist yet let alone years ago while loading entire scenes of 4k assets into memory quick enough to not need to pause from my 2016 sata ssd because you can now get around data transfer speeds by "programming the game competently"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Saoshyant posted:

The writing's been on the wall for a long while now, but I guess the indie revolution is truly dead. Vlambeer's just the latest to pack up and leave.

When the mobile space got too crowded, Steam Greenlight (in the distant year of 2013) became the lifeboat for all important indies of the time because its public curation system ensured anything good was given a fair shake. Then the floodgates were opened and anyone and their uncle could now be on Steam, overcrowding the space 'til nothing relatively unknown can be found these days. The Playstation Vita ecosystem then offered a bit of space to many of the more serious indies since that system had a ridiculous attachment rate among its users in spite of being a commercial flop. Then there was a moment when the Nintendo Switch showed up (2017) and its eShop was so bare while its users were so loose with money that indies started making really good money again, but even that didn't last long because eventually it overflooded and now indies have to resort to tricks like having constant 80% sales to even show up.

There's just not enough room in this hobby for the ridiculous amount of indie games out there. You needed only to get that itch.io BLM bundle with over 1000 games from a couple of months ago to realize there's so much out there that it's impossible for each game to get enough attention and followers. And those 1000+ games are nothing compared to what comes out year after year.

For every runaway success like Shovel Knight, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Nights in the Wood, or FNAF there were a million other games that fell through, many deservedly so, but not all. And it's only got worse with time.

Every week, Fanatical does a new indie bundle full of games nobody ever heard about. Humble Bundle tries to fill their monthly offers with whatever they can find. Those are the "lucky" ones, the ones that get paid fractions of cents for every purchase. Everyone else just fades away.

Sorry for going this long, but this topic has always been personal to me. I grew up during the micro-computer craze in Europe where anyone could be a game developer/publisher. That pretty much died out during the 90's and most of the 00's. 2008/09 and onwards sort of restarted that trend and I liked it a lot. I mean, there will always be indies, but there was a time that Jeff Minter was the exception to the rule, not the standard, and I imagine we are now heading to a time where only the future Minters will bother to remain around -- with all that's good and bad about that.

agreed, in 2020 a time where indies are firmly making the best games in the industry and are almost all im playing, theyre now dead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just got no mans sky since now, 3 years after launch, people are saying it's a great game

What can I even expect of it? Is it all exploration or is there more to it?

its a space sim game, and probably the best one out currently given that star cit is fake and elite is a void of content

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
nms is really fun. ed isnt a game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
eve is simultaneously the best and worst at it and also a game i would never recommend anyone play

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

haldolium posted:

I would never recommend NMS but rather EVE or E:D since both are somewhat space games (with heavy flaws, no doubt) but NMS is a loving world generator inventory management collectathon with no means and nothing to it. And it's definitively not chill in any way but suffocates the player with those exact system failures that have been there from day one.

Personally I never cared about the marketing expectation thing versus the actual outcome of NMS, but funny enough the above critized things are the exact stuff that annoyed me at the start and were never changed. It's just a bad game. It wants to be everything and it wants to be that on every platform, but does not offer a UI solution to what it want's to be. So it becomes a chore, hassle, annoyance very soon and throughout the entire game because it makes management and collection of ressources a major thing but cannot handle it in a chill way.

And of course, depending on the generator, your first 5-10 planet visits might be very underwhelming.

i bought ed at launch and pop back into it once a year and i still feel like i was ripped off but i can jump into nms every few months and have fun with it for a week

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Cardiovorax posted:

Glad you're getting your money's worth out of it, but most people expect a bit more than that from a sixty dollar game.

yeah exactly, theres not a SINGLE tower to climb and NO tailing missiosn this is a fake game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think there's a single game here that anyone is actually like, excited for. Not even a solid indie darling.

its a really good month lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

K8.0 posted:

Maybe he's making the argument that Alan Wake (the character) is meant to be considered a good writer in-universe, but as players we are meant to understand that he is a hack.

yeah just like stephen king

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Fun Times! posted:

What's y'all's favorite Monster Hunter World weapon? Trying to get back in it, tried the heavy bowgun, thinking yeah I'll machine gun dinosaurs all day, but there aren't any wicked sweet combos, you just run a short distance and press the trigger. I can play any other thousand games to do that. My first 40 hours played two years ago was with the switch axe, which was cool but wanted to try something new this time around.

charge blade owns, i played it after maining switch axe as well and its a good fit if you liked switch axe

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Pwnstar posted:

Is there an RPG where your squad is a group of bickering maniacs? Need to recreate that IRL tabletop feel. It's Always Sunny in Athkatla.

kenshi

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Grapplejack posted:

People keep bitching about trap so I just switched over to femboy since I was tired of arguing about it

imagine ppl getting annoyed with you using an offensive term and then also imagine your response to that being to argue lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
running head first into the steam thread to announce unprompted how mad i am about not getting to say trap anymore

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Grapplejack posted:

stop and think why I would use those two terms stux

you waste

sorry just looked like u were running in to pop off about it, my apologies

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Grapplejack posted:

I am cis, I'm just gay

Like my use of the term was specifically for that bit of gay subculture but since it's become offensive I've just switched terms

We've gotten way off track tho and I'd also like to apologize to stux for snapping at him earlier

its mb i shouldnt just assume the worst and read the room/context better but ty

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Cardiovorax posted:

I was kind of wondering the same thing, considering that most video game shotguns have a range so hilariously and unrealistically awful that they're essentially melee weapons with a trigger.

theyre a cod player which is a series that does usually have pretty good range on its shotguns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Triarii posted:

Meanwhile most shooters have one ability, which is "shoot gun"

yeah its like all the different guns are the variety

but thats also clearly not true, shooters generally do have abilities and stuff now lol its so common theres a big revivial of doom/quake style games that dont do it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

MMF Freeway posted:

I only played it after the big patch and I don't even know what character you mean. The english vo was pretty good I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laBOw_dyIiY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The 7th Guest posted:

elder scrolls is a big enough normie game that it'll probably be on everything, starfield will probably be exclusive, say goodbye to future doom/wolf/preys on playstation. but they'll be on PC/Steam regardless

other way around

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you saying that Microsoft will just stop releasing things on Steam again? That doesn’t strike me as incredibly likely considering all the work streams done to get big publishers like EA and Microsoft itself back on there.

no but theyll keep them off "everything" if they have any sense

pc ports are safe tho

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The 7th Guest posted:

i think about stuff like minecraft, fortnite, etc, where normies will buy any device that has it, because they have to have it in every room, and on their phone. elder scrolls definitely falls into this category as it has been ported to so many things that people thought the "Skyrim on Alexa" was a skit and it was in fact a real thing

games like wolfenstein though aren't really normie mainstream, it's stuff that hardcore gamers care about, and hardcore gamers will only buy a console if it has The Best Exclusives. that's the whole thing with xbox is that gamers(tm) just say "why would I buy that, it has no games". but normies will buy an xbox one s because it has minecraft installed on it

so anything from bethesda that is normie mainstream like TES should end up releasing on all platforms, and then stuff like starfield that only people that post on message boards even know what it's called (and even then we know little about it), that will probably be xbox/PC-only like Grounded and Avowed are

this is backwards, you put the big titles people not into tech want to get them to buy your device, because otherwise they by the one with momentum/the thing they had last, which if you have no games is not your platform. this is the exact issue xbox had this generation. if tes and fallout arent xbox only for consoles microsoft should fire their entire marketing team.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

zedprime posted:

They're probably going to be Xbox console exclusive (note the console qualifier there pedants :smug:) but they're the underdog trying weird things. Exclusives don't really feel like why the 360 or PS4 won their generation specifically. More those were just the easiest places to play games. That seems to be the goal for the Xbox this generation so I also won't be surprised if they use the studios to create games with the marquee features like PC cloud saves and streaming to PCs and Windows tablets with a timed exclusivity window where the same game is released without that stuff on a Playstation eventually.

a lot of the best selling ps4 titles are ps4 exclusives. the 360 is more complicated because in the end it was third place, ps3 ended up overtaking it... because sony ramped up making ps3 titles while microsoft spent multiple years just making kinect games.

i dont think microsoft can be called an underdog in any market they enter given their size.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

bagmonkey posted:

My friend recommended I finally play Firewatch and man, that was a pretty enjoyable game. I especially liked the fact that it only took two playing sessions to get through. Any recommendations on similar story-heavy games that don't take too long to beat?

the stanley parable and gone home

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

lordfrikk posted:

Is there non-cosmetic DLC apart from Iceborne?

no

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
i mean mhw is good for not putting content behind its dlc but it doesnt really excuse the game having like 200 pieces of insanely overpriced cosmetic dlc, thats not there because its fair or to lure in people who are able to be responsible with their money. its pretty egregious even if the game is overall "better" about this stuff than others. but just because theres a bunch of games that are completely off the wall with how bad their mtx are doesnt make the less bad examples good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Morter posted:

I'm not saying you have to like the game or approve of their practices, but making a stink about there being a 'large total dollar amount of DLC' because everything is individually itemized is really loving disingenuous, IMO, and the furthest stretch to get to 'predatory'.

its polygons. theyre tiny little models. its priced out individually with a high overall cost for all of them but small individual prices specifically because that structure side steps the part of some peoples brains that tell them not to buy them. you do not make $400 worth of $1 dlc for any reason other than fishing for whales who will buy it all over a couple of years because they can easily rationalise each individual purchase.

read this part of your post again:

Morter posted:

Also, back on the subject of "lots of stuff in store, ergo bad!", please be aware of the 43 items being 'figures'--little items you put in your 'Room' (your little semi-designable abode that you do functional in, just look and maybe take pictures), and 42 of them are Pendants: little danglies you can put on your weapon.

then think what the incentive is for the company to make these and price them out the way they have a bit more critically. its a dual purpose of allowing people who do not personally fall into buying it to easily rationalise it as fine because "its just some little trinkets. theyre only $2 each. you dont HAVE to buy them. its not ACTUAL content." while at the same time allowing people who do fall into buying them to easily rationalise each singular purchase with the exact same logic while they buy every single one and spend hundreds on digital junk without ever being fully cognizant of the real cost.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Cardiovorax posted:

How much does a publisher have to cater to fiscally irresponsible people before it starts being the fault of the buyer and stops being the fault of the seller? Is there any acceptable amount?

i would say that 200 pieces of cosmetic dlc specifically priced to trick people does not come anywhere close to passing this bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
just ask yourself why those trinkets arent in a single purchase for $400 and then spend 2 seconds figuring out why that might be