Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What I really want to know about... is ~the door~ fixed in this version or is it still a blurry mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Having just finished Gnosia on the Switch a week ago, don't go in and expect an "Among us" Visual Novel. It's a Werewolf/Mafia game set in a time loop, but it also has a definite ending, good characters and setting/art. There's some very light Visual Novel elements with small events that play out in the overarching story.

Overall it's a very unique experience and I'd highly recommend it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My big issue with both battletech and MechWarrior 5 are that you're limited to deploy one lance (4 mechs) in each game. Why? It limits options so much.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any chance DL2 will show up on legal key stores like Fanatical? I dont see it for sale anywhere except on steam, and given i'm in germany I can only buy the censored version.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Saoshyant posted:

In my experience, when there's legal requirements, Fanatical receives the keys with the same region restrictions as they are on Steam. So that's probably not the way to go, unfortunately.

Yep but you can at least activate these via VPN and not get the censored version that way. I'll check out the official store.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You don't really need any DLC except The following which is the expansion if you enjoy the base game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Riftbreaker is more of an ARPG with tower defense elements than a real building game. Lots of shooting in that one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Triarii posted:

Eh, I'm trying to get into DL2 but I don't think it's gonna work for me. It's pretty good on atmosphere but everything about the movement and combat just feels so muddy and sloppy. Also I've spent two of my (quite scarce) skill points on skills that are just broken and don't work as far as I can tell.

Which ones are these? I spent 25 hours in DL2 over the weekend and I'm very mixed/critical on it but the skills do work.... but! If you rebind keys, the rebound keys dont work for them! only the original ones do.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's definitely poo poo programming, but yeah the skills work if you dont change the keys... which defeats the entire purpose.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

How the hell do you not have "rebind keys" in your game in 2022, goddamn :lmao:

DL2 needed at least 6 months of extra time in the oven. On top of all the delays they had.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

precision posted:

is there a Gnosia thread and if not, may i please and thank you get some general non spoiler type hints for what i should be "doing" once i get to what i assume is the "main part" of the game where i can set the parameters for each loop TIA

Survive a loop together with your buddy and you'll get it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Guardian ape is a NFT mascot and therefore the worst.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah despite having a whole palette of controllers available (switch pro, xbox one,dualsense) I often just use the xbox controller because it has the highest compatibility. Though I have to admit steam profiles for them work really well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finished ANNO Mutationem today. I can only recommend it really if youre a big fan of the aesthetics and cyberpunk settings in general. Here's my impressions.

- The art style of the game and the aesthetics are clearly the best part and the devs are very proud and show off a lot of cool looking places. I also have nothing bad to say about the english VA / sound design, nothing stood out as bad to me.

- The combat is... serviceable. It doesn't really have a lot of depth honestly and by the end I was completely checked out from it and just spammed attacks and healed with my 50 medkits I bought. The lack of manual targeting for the gun can be frustrating in parts.

- The story is... honestly terrible. It starts off quite interesting / good but devolves into a giant mess of plot threads that never are follow upon, characters that show up out nowhere / have no backstory or prior characterization and just the scale of things gets way, way too big for what the devs could do. It tries to introduce a lot of "cool" things while not explaining anything properly, especially character motivations. The ending is also a complete mess.

The worst: Bugs. Theres lots of them. A lot of the game seems unfinished or they ran out of time. Almost none of the subtitles ever match voiced lines. They forgot to put voice modulation for some characters during cutscenes for some lines so suddenly menacing darth vader becomes bro dudeski. It's possible to fall out of the level geometry at several places, also at the final boss reloading the checkpoint put me into an endless void so I had to reload a savegame. Half of my inventory just vanished once. The devs of this game either bit off more than they can chew or they ran out of time/money. My playtime at the end was 16.8 hours with 100% of sidequests finished.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got the last spell like half a year ago. The balance was just completely broken and its a "meta" grinder. The fact that back then all "best strategy" videos for the game were to use 2 weapon types only and exploit an unlimited gold strategy with the shop said a lot about the title.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Days Gone is great if you don't take it seriously. It's a B movie shlock about the angriest man alive and his redemption arc. Seriously, Deek never shuts up and its the funniest thing about the game.
Also you get to shoot zombie children.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
For the people who asked about Planet Crafter:

It's essentially an incremental game in first person. You work towards getting big scores for the terraforming stuff to happen. To that extent you continue to gather materials and unlock more and more efficient (and more involved) to build machinery that gets you there.

You need to explore the place you are stuck in to get rare materials at first before you can eventually produce them yourself. It's incredibly simple, looks bad but I spent 12 hours in a binge session with it last week.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of strategy games. I bought the HOMM like Songs of Conquest and the AI just blatantly cheats. There are no difficulty settings for the campaign but I noticed that the AI heroes get free reinforcements every turn. Also they don't need to stick around In your cities to convert them they can just tag them and run. Also they have more movement than you can have baseline and respawn quicker if defeated.

I tried the last campaign mission for hours before I gave up. It's early access so that might change but it sucks out all the fun for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did anyone here play deadcraft the new zombie Farming Sim game with no marketing at all?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is from 60 pages ago but I finally got around to playing this and it has been a blast
https://openxcom.mod.io/the-x-com-files
I'm still 2+ years away from the alien invasion and I'm just dealing with all this X-Files stuff and it's absurd. My lil men in black getting owned by chupacabras and beetles. I keep going to investigate crop circles and when I show up the farmer is just hostile for some reason and I kill them, but now they're starting to show up surrounded by zombies. The enormous variety of thematic real-world weapons is cool. I finally graduated from literally requesting an Uber to take my glock-toting MIBs to the mission site to sending helicopters carrying large squads equipped with MP5s and Dirty Harry revolvers and I have one guy that carries a katana because ???.

If you own the original x-com and can deal with mod jank (like the creator including lots of weirdly sexualized photos as research art???) you should play this total conversion mod ASAP

The creepy sex stuff gets so much worse trust me. It's nowhere as bad as X piratez but it's still completely unnecessary. There's a loving zombie woman who has her boobs out. Who decided they want to be horny in dos XCOM? Called out about this on discord the author stated it makes it more "mature". Take it as you will. At least he isn't an outright Nazi like the Piratez dev.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

deep dish peat moss posted:

disclaimer: I am not a fan of survival games and I almost exclusively play games singleplayer. I tried it because of the devs.

Fun combat mechanics. Bad AI - you can easily circlestrafe your way to victory against everything I faced in the refund period. It would probably be fun against players because BLC/Battlerite were fun pvp games and this is essentially the same combat, but it wasn't going to do it for me as a singleplayer game.

Gameplay loop is centered around real-world waiting times - multiple hours to convert captured NPC followers and unlock various things. Always-dwindling power sources in your base that you have to log in with some regularity to refill, etc. That's the kind of stuff I particularly don't like in multiplayer Survival games. You can adjust the timers when playing singleplayer or hosting your own server, but for me that just feels empty in the way that playing an emulated MMO on a self-hosted private server does.

Anyway my point is I wouldn't recommend it as a singleplayer experience for people who don't like this general formula of survival games but are tempted by the promise of good combat, but if the formula is your jam or if pvp is what you want people really seem to like it.

A different perspective here:
I started a solo game but I upped the sliders for stack size to max, resource droprate to 2x and crafting/refine timers to 5x. There is no problem at all with these things If you do this. Also the time on your castle heart does not decay at all while you don't play solo, thats only an issue for dedicated servers. It's also the only decaying resource. Enemies get a lot more challenging the deeper you get into it and you can't just circle strafe. I agree that the default 1x settings are mostly unplayable solo unless you grind extensively but they can be tweaked to whatever you please so go for it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

lordfrikk posted:

Tynan copied Prison Architect's style because he admitted to not being a good artist and he thought the style worked well for the type of the game. He later got blessing from the original artist, too. Source: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=23.0

That blog post linked in that thread is incidentally how I learned that Rimworld's original name was Starship Architect and it was supposed to be a mix of FTL and Dwarf Fortress :popeye:

To also say something about Keplerth as someone who likes Rimworld a lot: I often wished I could have played a single person survival game in the Rimworld engine, and I'm sure I wasn't alone in that, so as long as Keplerth is a good game :shrug:

I watched someone stream Keplerth for about two weeks. It's pretty much a Terraria / Starbound type of game with a very arcadey progression curve. It has nothing to do with Rimworld at all aside from the graphics looking similar.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sab669 posted:

I reinstalled Prey after the thread was talking about it last week or 2; if I GLOO up an enemy and smack 'em with my Wrench, would these count as Sneak Attacks if I were to spec into that talent?

I'm 99% sure that only an initial attack on an unaware enemy counts as sneak, gloo'd enemys that are frozen should still take 50% extra damage.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If Returnal comes to steam it better have the full Dualsense support it has on PS5, because it's honestly one of the best uses of the controller on the platform.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

DaveKap posted:

It's literally the only game on the PS5 I want to play but, at the same time, really do not want to play on a PS5 without mouse support. So I was essentially never going to play this because I would get too frustrated from the fact it requires precise aiming with a gamepad joystick. No thank you to that but yes thank you to a PC version! Watch them completely gently caress up the mouse smoothing/acceleration/sensitivity somehow and it ends up like Dead Space 1's PC version.

As someone who has 50 hours in the game on PS5 the auto aim is very generous and can be even more so. But I do avoid the 2 sniper weapons more Often than not so those would definitely benefit from mouse aim.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Drop Sanguine armor in RL2, focus on leveling the runes for the str/int lifesteal in higher cycles.
Use drowned or warden armor (drowned is +str/20% str bonus at tier 3)
Warden is the crit set (+20% random crit chance at tier 3)

I personally prefer drowned. The str bonus is massive. Also buy the bonus that heals you 100% when you enter a boss door, lets you explore levels and you'll always be at peak power for a boss.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried the warhams 4X game since it's free to try atm and it seems pretty okay. Not great but not bad either. Any recommended dlcs?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with the XFiles mod for the original XCOM, but unless it throws some curveballs at me I'm already threading familiar ground. It seems that the Piratez mod is an even more ambitious conversion but, well, tits... Anime, low pixelated softcore tits, but very annoying.

A question I have never thought I'd ask: Is there a censor mod or something to make it less of a 14 year old wet dream?

Alternatively, is the 40k mod worth it or is it just a reskin?

No censor mod and if you'll ask for one on their discords you'll get banned. You can edit the graphics files yourself if you want to though. The 40k mod when I tried it was interesting but incredibly difficult.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

I tried the demo and it's just a simple if satisfying puzzle game. I don't see how this is going to be compelling for a longer gameplay session though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I've bought several games this sale but so far almost all of them have one play except this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

Not because they are bad but because I can't stop playing Necesse. If you liked Terraria or Rimworld I think this one might be for you. Go watch a vid or two about the UI and setting up settlements/work zones and then just go blind as a loving bat from that point on.

This is my so-far favorite non-Necesse sale game, I find it completely loving infuriating because I stupidly forget something crucial every battle* and get a Mech or two killed and rage out but for some reason I can't stop playing it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1389360/Mech_Armada/

*it's almost always "oh yeah that enemy can move diagonally... gently caress!"

I played this for 5 minutes, it had tiny text, looked bad and refunded it.
I'm just not into Terraria games I guess since I also don't like Terraria.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is it just me or does volition really need to go under to learn their lessons? Sorry if you're reading this ChipCheezum. Agents of mayhem was a disaster and this reboot doesn't look much better.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zereth posted:

That does not look like a first person dungeon crawler to me? :confused:

Guy confused the game with songs of conquest which is a HOMM successor so double wrong actually.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

victrix posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1105590/Dream_Cycle/

Just came out of EA, looks incredibly janky to me

WIth that title im disappointed its not the bike version of "my summer car"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Cult of the Lamb really feels like an early access game that was pushed out as 1.0.

More than half of the tech tree unlocks are useless. Countless bugs and issues. I had softlocks on bosses, buildings disappearing, people being stuck, softlocking when talking to people / picking up items.
The combat balance is also completely off. One unlockable armor doubles the damage you take but gives a higher multiplier the more enemies you kill without taking a hit. This has no cap. You can imagine how this goes, bosses can be one shot with this.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Necrosmith was literally unplayable before it's first big patch. Now it's okay for a cheapo game

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zetsubou-san posted:

These are fun games

Creeper World 3 is also worth a look in, as is Particle Fleet by the same dev.

also Harvest: Massive Encounter scratches a similar itch

Shoutout to Infested Planet which scratches the same itch for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since We're talking about GPU Upgrades... I'm still rocking a 1080p display and a 2060 super, I5 9700k and 32 gig ram. I want to get that Alienware OLED Screen thats 21:9 1440p,
is a 3090 overkill or is a 3080/ti fine?

Also would need a new PSU of course, im still on 550 watts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried to play some new indie HOMM game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1413580/The_Dragoness_Command_of_the_Flame/

For some godforsaken reason though the game has NO KEYBINDINGS. The only keys that work are WASD for camera and escape to bring up the menu. There is no key to end turn, close menus or anything else, you have to close everything and click everything with the mouse. Had to refund it because of that, otherwise I would have been curious to try it more since it seems to be way more focused on the town building aspect.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

secretly best girl posted:

This led me to look into this and while they're still doing monthly progress reports on a dev's blog (having abandoned all? other social media? company's twitter account is silent since 2013, for instance), uh... the screens shown have me very nervous for a tower defense game eight years into development

That's just sad. I liked the first one cause it was a good TD game despite the amateurish graphics. What the hell happened here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Nyaa posted:

Old xcom is worth the $1. I just happened to be playing it with an overhaul mod in this past week, and it’s still fun.

Openxcom gives lots of modern quality to the dos XCOM experience. Requires original game files but I highly recommend it.