Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RBA Starblade posted:

Hotline Miami 2's a wet fart when it comes to level design (which kills a large part of it dead) but it tells its story really effectively

Yeah p much, although i'll say it has some of the best as well as worst levels in the series, and the soundtrack is even better than the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Also friends, consider buying Eliza, the Zachtronics visual novel joint. It's fantastic and moving

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

am I insane or is Post Scriptum's claim of a free weekend a filthy, filthy lie.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dungeon Siege owned, and i wish arpgs had followed more in its vein instead of all turning into frictionless number crunch skinner boxes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Not sure creative assembly deserve to be called shitlords honestly, they've been on a roll and seem pretty well adjusted

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Krazyface posted:

That 40k: Mechanicus game is on sale; is it any good?

Also very curious whether this is a mediocre x-com reskin or something more. My biggest concern from a brief glance over is that it looks like it might get visually monotonous quickly; necrons and their tombs aren't the most exciting

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

END ME SCOOB posted:

As someone who just 100%ed Shadow recently (literally the week of the final update patch, in fact, they had to bugfix a treasure for me to do so), I'll definitely say it's the weakest of the three, but it's not garbage? It's just got three incredibly bad ideas bundled into it.

a) gently caress that village so hard. It's big, it is weirdly unoptimized (swimming back to it from a side dungeon at one point it actually made the game pop up a "NOW LOADING" message over my screen), and about 60% of the game takes place in or directly around it, which leads into...
b) "We went to all the trouble of making a cool mix and match set of gear for bonuses and dress-up and we're locking you into a region where you must wear one of 3 outfits all game long. And one of those three is DLC. And if you ever visit this area we're going to auto-equip one of those three over whatever you had on."
c) Combat, especially if you like to be a stealthy hunter, is better than ever. The tombs are better than ever. The game has decided to balance these by going about 30/70 on them and the massive weight of the tombs (not counting the fresh DLC stuff that's all designed around one concept apiece and makes a tiny mini-campaign, which rule) mean that you miss combat more and the tombs become very, very repetitive by endgame if you're not spacing them out with... nothing, there's nothing else.

If you dug the last two, I'd say it's worth it, especially cheap (and ESPECIALLY with the DLC, which owns), but holy poo poo it is no contest which entry in the new stuff is the weakest now that this exists. However, just like the last two games, when it goes all in on combat for a little while, it does kick rear end (looking at you oil rig sequence)

i like the new tomb raider games but it's quite offputting how they kept redesigning lara's face in each one. also i felt bad for the severely friendzoned sidekick character

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

guys im beginning to worry randy might be a sleazy sack of poo poo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

drat horror queefs posted:

Employees working for a notorious piece of poo poo even for the games industry: "duhhh how could this happun 2 me :saddowns:"

Hmm you're right, employees are scum that deserve to be conned

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

speaking of neverwinter nights 2, everyone talks up mask of the betrayer... but what about storm of zehir? curious if it's worth reinstalling for a runthrough

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Blattdorf posted:

In case you've been holding out on FFXIV's early game to get revamped, they are finally releasing some details about that. There's a live letter going on as of this writing - 13% quests gone, others have a reduced the number of steps required to complete them. Fetch quests are mostly gone. They add gear and experience to ensure you can progress smoothly, and they'll shower you with experience, so your main job can progress further even when you technically reach the level cap for the given expansion. No more forced grinding of sidequests.

You can finally use flying mounts in ARR areas! This gets unlocked automatically once you clear the main scenario for ARR, no need for aether currents.

God ive been waiting what seems like forever for this

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gladius is quite good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fat Samurai posted:

I tried Ori (controller kept connecting and disconnecting, didn't register inputs properly and for some reason X+LT swapped between full and windowed mode), Frostpunk (in game cursor didn't work, only the Windows one, deleted my saves or didn't save properly), Metro (horrible slowdowns) and State of Decay 2 (which worked pretty well), so sometimes the app does makes the games unplayable. On the other hand I think I'm the only person who has complained on the forums of these kind of problems, so GamePass is probably still a good bet.

It keeps deleting my saves and redownloading entire games for no reason. It's still a great value but it's been buggy as poo poo for me

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

40$ base for BF4 lol get hosed ea you slime

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GreatGreen posted:

So youtube videos of Beyond Blue are coming out and it looks like they took a chillout ocean life exploration game and decided the main character shouldn't be simply an avatar by which you can explore a neat world, but instead should be a be a sarcastic livestreamer all about ME ME ME and likes.

I'm watching a let's play now and the main character's biggest accomplishments so far are "berating the sidekick radio tech guy for not giving her the exact answers she wants" and "taunting her audience about betting they wish they could do what she's doing right now but they can't haha."

Another weird thing is that she seems to have absolutely zero sense of awe or wonder about where she is or what she's doing. The opening is a tiny bit expressive with stuff like "my grandma and I used to dive and I was entranced" but in the actual game it's different. One of the first things you see is the gigantic whale floating by and the un-hesitant first thing out of the character's mouth is something impatient like "how long does it take for the scanner to work" followed by the tech saying "well it depends on several factors" to which she replies "Oh, so you don't know. Got it."

gently caress off.

Beyond Blue: Karen Goes Deep

what a bizarre choice

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BexGu posted:

I've pretty much gotten most of the metroidvanisas (is MindSeize any good?) but was wondering if there was anything good 8/16 bit ish that wasn't just Shovel Knight/Shantae.

Worst case I'll get 3dSen PC and try out a bunch of rom hacks.

You might enjoy the Messenger

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hwurmp posted:

don't buy The Messenger

did they turn out to be chuds or something or do you just think the game's bad? The former would be unfortunate

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Welp, quoting the ol JP is pretty damning.

In terms of other retro metroidvanias, Environmental Station Alpha is excellent and enormous. Axiom Verge is pretty good as well... i'm sure there are tons of others but my mind is blanking

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sinteres posted:

The campaign looks really well made, and I'm optimistic about the quality of the game, I'm just leery about doing such an early pre-order for a nostalgia project since there have definitely been some busts.

The section on 'possible obstacles' (or whatever kickstarter calls it) seems actually pretty circumspect and thought out, which is nice. No plans to try and cram it onto the switch, aware of the dangers of rampant stretch goal bloat, etc.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hey steam thread, i built my computer but am not particularly tech savy. Thinking about getting an external ssd to deal with ballooning install sizes. This shouldn't be a terrible idea, right? I'm just vaguely concerned about whether an external connection will effect performance

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll sleep on it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I would love a mod for eternal that gives you more ammo and scales back the cooldown poo poo. Obviously a lot of people are fans and enjoyed the game but it was a significant step down in plot and gameplay from 2016 for me

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I feel like the Tomb Raider reboot death animations get way overblown, but it's been a minute since I played that game. At the time I mostly recall thinking they were in the same vein as the various horrible ways Leon can die in RE4, or Isaac in Dead Space. Personally i find those entertaining, although i can't blame someone for getting grossed out

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i just wish they'd stop changing her face every drat game it's weird as hell. And they really should have brought back the roguelite mode for shadow

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

still don't understand if this thread title is a reference to Michael Douglas' career or RoTK

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't even know what the headline game is supposed to be here.

impossible lair kicks rear end btw

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

pentyne posted:

Here's some from way back from the author of Gunnerkrig Court

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351001&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=83#post394974181

Basically, the author was setting up the groundwork for a possible romance and chibisoma went off on twitter like he killed a dog and made them eat it.

lol forgot about this

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hogama posted:

Whatever do you mean?

Lol what the christ. Thats worse than something i could whip up in rpg maker in a few mins

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orv posted:

Man if people handed me money to make movies of my wife kicking all kinds of rear end and not have to actually make them good movies I'd do it in a hot second.

yeah they've got a good thing going

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ZearothK posted:

I am one of those few people who loved HM2 more than the original, but I also played it in a fever weekend binge, which is the ideal way to experience the game.

Also that fantastic soundtrack.

:same:

2's difficulty curve basically starts where 1 ends, which is v rough unless you play tthem back to back

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hwurmp posted:

Prey: Mooncrash

+1, all of the +1s

Mooncrash is criminally slept on

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

only thing i remember about bloodrayne is that they put a nude render of the main character in playboy once

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hub Cat posted:

I personally just wish they would make a BoI 2 and take the time to clean out the technical cruft and make a more cohesive game that takes the lessons of newer games rather than bolting more and more stuff on the old game. Also maybe less edgy scatological humor:shrug:

Anyway play Hades.

I sympathize, but everytime someone says this McMillen adds ten more turd monsters

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I came back to battletech after the dlcs had all launched and I've had no technical issues or hideous load times or anything. ymmv I guess

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyone know if the new Black Mesa update fixed their aimbot marines

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kibayasu posted:

You’re actually supposed to get shot a fair number of times in Half Life so no they haven’t.

I dunno if you've played BM or the original HL but the new marines' time to aim and rof was completely ludicrous and turned every marine encounter (the most enjoyable part of the original) into a game of tedious peak-a-boo. But I guess it's ~~their vision~~

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kerbtree posted:

My wishlist's shat itself, claims there's nothing in it, while the button just up and right to it shows "WISHLIST (35)"

:confused:

Having this too, but I assume it's the normal Steam sale freakout and it'll be back to normal in an hour or so

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kibayasu posted:

Depending on when the last time you played Black Mesa was they did make some changes to the marines. I played it when they first released the retail version and again when Xen was added and didn’t feel anything unfair going on with them.

I eve believe whatever changes they made to the marines were done before the initial retail release.

I don't think I've played since the first public release so that sounds promising.

God willing, now they can get cracking on opposing force

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Taintrunner posted:

Holy poo poo Empire of Sin getting ripped apart in reviews today. what a shame

Project Wingman unlocks at 1PM EST tomorrow, so that’ll kick rear end at least

EoS is prolly gonna be one of those 'wait half a year and then it's golden' dealies

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

anyone have any experience with Praey for the Gods? feels like a good time of year to fight giant monsters in an icy world, but Early Access games do make me hesitate to pull the trigger. even cheaper on Humble right now, fwiw.

I'm curious about this one as well, but I've seen no discourse on it whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyone have thoughts on the singeplayer in cod: WW2 versus cod: infinite? The former has ww2 shooter nostalgia going for it, but angry space john snuh' is also tempting