Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Superanos posted:

Looks like the hit game everyone has been waiting for is finally out. Lawn Mowing Simulator has a 15% launch discount.

This looks awesome, I want it to have VR support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sab669 posted:

I saw a city builder game last year, or maybe early this year, where you play as a race of otters? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I haven't been able to find it since seeing one trailer on Reddit randomly. And my google fu has been failing me

Beavers! Timberborn. The Management Megathread had some pages of people playing it recently.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Each is a collection of usually trivia or party game-style minigames for groups of two or more. They're pretty sassy and the narrator/host voice seems like a cool guy.

The early You Don't Know Jack games were I think explicitly just trivia, but the newer ones - Jackbox - are the collections of party games, always with at least one trivia-based one like the originals but also sometimes with drawing or wordplay, they're pretty varied.

They're a lot of fun! The ones from the last decade have players use smartphones or computers or whatever and go to a URL to join the "room" to actually enter answers or draw or whatever, while the game itself plays out on the TV/PC. It kinda sounds stupid at first but it works really well with guests or friends.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 14, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

explosivo posted:

Wow, I had no idea about this.

I actually learned about this with the controllers on my Rift S - they seemed fine as long as you were only interacting with one hand, but I noticed in ALL games where you hold a gun or sword two-handed it would freak the gently caress out, jump all over the place with recoil, slap around at crazy angles, it was like the tracking was broken as soon as you tried to hold an object with both "hands." I just assumed all VR was janky as poo poo, until I saw Youtube videos of people doing impossibly-coordinated moves in Blade & Sorcery or easily managing the recoil on a gun in Boneworks.

I started randomly reconnecting things in desperation and switching the USB half of the Rift S cable from a blue port a regular 2.0 fixed everything instantly. I can recreate it just by plugging it back into the wrong ports. It's crazy, I had genuinely no idea.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 24, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yeah but the Cerebral Bore will always be the best gun in an FPS

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

zedprime posted:

Maybe I'm too undiscerning in my app selection but I remember there being a dark ages from like 2002-10 where every MP3 player gave random songs and didn't even shuffle when you hit shuffle. And every app I've used after the dawn of smart phones since then has given artist flushes.

foobar2000 gives Random and Shuffle as two different options and bless it

EDIT: Whenever Random would play the same song twice in a row out of my bigass mp3 collection in college, I'd celebrate and chug a beer

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 9, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Maigius posted:

This is going to sound like a silly question but what are some of the current "system benchmark" games that you use to show off your new system? Newest thing I have available is Witcher 3.

Not silly, and Control is very pretty with RTX but has a brutalist look that isn't....flashy, most of the time? Definitely one of the better looking games I've played.

But I got lucky enough to get a 3080 Ti and the answers I found more or less amounted to Microsoft Flight Simulator, Control, and Metro Exodus.

Flight Sim is fantastic, actually, but obviously requires a bit of a setup.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

in 2021, what is the best pirate game? I want Sid Meier's Pirates, but moreso.

Frankly there is nothing like or better than Sid Meier's Pirates in 2021. Some sci-fi games are kind of like it. Rebel Galaxy, maybe. But otherwise, I'm sorry.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'd take the chance to step up from a 500W and get the proper connectors assuming you can get that thing out. It's probably an old attitude, but I'm not loving with power.

EDIT: Hell, it's probably worth getting a case that LETS you swap it out if you can't.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

OzFactor posted:

It's on sale so I am likely going to finally get Dragon Quest XI, but I'm pretty nitpicky about things like this: does the game let you use the mouse? Like can you click on things in menus or is it like FF12 where the keyboard is just emulating a controller? Because I really don't like that, I'm on a drat computer and I want to use my drat mouse. I'd probably just wait and buy it on the Switch if I can't use the mouse.

Buy it on Switch. You will find no satisfaction dying on the KB+M hill for anything like DQ11. And believe me I'm a KB+M guy! Just learned the hard way.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 29, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Even one friend is good, 2 player is still a whole lot of fun and miles better than 1. Great game!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

so what's the right name for a minecraft/ark/valheim/conan thing then

I just call them Builders. Open world builders. Survival builders. I use several tags, I dunno.

But yes, Survival implies: food, water, oxygen, whatever. Not gathering construction resources by itself.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 30, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Unpacking is something else, I'm really really into the unexpected storytelling.

In the...third? home when your character moves in with her boyfriend and you realize you can't move any of the framed concert posters or guitar, so the only place your framed diploma fits is tucked under the bed I realized immediately this was going to be a thing.
And the items tell such a story...the back pain pads and cane starting so young, the things she took from homes and roommates past, unpacking her new partner's things and realizing what's different, just really surprisingly emotional stuff. It leaves you just with the artifacts of an implied life and the freedom/curse to fill in the details yourself.

I'm up to...I believe 2015, so I'm not done yet, but I get the feeling this thing is going to roll me over by the end.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 5, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I jumped on it for the zen aspect, and didn't expect it either! I thought the different rooms in the trailers and screenshots were just...you know, random rooms. But you're "playing" the same person through a lifetime of moves, and it's making me realize how much our stuff can tell about us.

It's an extremely pure example of "show-don't-tell," and I'm really into it. If you're interested then I'd suggest skipping my spoilers and go into it as blind as you can, but to elaborate on the first example I blacked out in the boyfriend's apartment, you can move just about anything else - pick up after him, re-arrange his underwear drawer(there's even an achievement!) - but you ain't touching his "babies." It's such a neon red flag that it made me look around again, consider the disparity between your own colorful, sunny things and his sleek, grayscale American Psycho aesthetic. Then, how little space you're really getting in this arrangement. I can practically imagine her pausing, coming to the same dim realizations herself, resigning to sliding her art degree (which, through the ever-growing stock of art supplies or sketch books she never throws out, you know is extremely important to her identity!) under the bed... and then knowing the next level takes place two years later. Tried to make it work for two years. And then a few scenes after that, you realize it was probably even more complicated. And gently caress, maybe I'm reading these situations wrong, too! Did she take this colander out of spite, was it unwanted in the first place, was it an accident? It conveys so much information without saying a single word, but it's the hazy implications and unconfirmable possibilities that have me thinking about it during work today.

I don't want to imply that it's Gilgamesh with item placement, the arrangement IS still the main point, but...there's a life story being told, and it's made me think about the things I've kept (or found, or stolen) throughout my life and what they may say about me.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 11, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

gently caress, now I'm regretting skipping over that in the Humble Choice.

edit: I'm an idiot, don't think Unpacking was in Humble Choice this month

Humble is their publisher, so that might be why!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I was having fun with the Boston-Providence route in Train Sim World 2 but when I went to read reviews about it it's apparently MIXED.

I'm enjoying a MIXED dlc, ghastly

edit: but it's all people complaining about random speed limit changes and delays on the route and to be honest if you've ever ridden the T that is extremely realistic.
Train nerds are the worst
User reviews are the worst

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 11, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I kinda forgot how juvenile the GTA games used to be.

ED: yes you're right

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 13, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Joke design on the level of Duke Nukem 3D fan fiction comics a 6th grader would've drawn in the 90s is a pretty wild hill for these people to die on.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Haha I seriously did not notice the name of the game was Chorus

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Chorvs rules, I will never ever be able to see that as anything but Chorvs.

It's so fun to say

Hey man, want to hop on Chorvs after work?

It reminds me of pronouncing Deus Ex "doo-sex" in one of my very first social interactions as a high school freshman, setting the trajectory for my entire life since

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

21 years and counting, baby. I can still see Clark's eyes light up at someone new to make fun of.

Luckily I've got this Chorvs thing down pat

Edit: And am thirty five

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 2, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

It was the Aurora engine, which was first built for NWN1 but the upgraded version they used for NWN2 is what CD Projekt Red worked with to make the first Witcher, basically rewriting the renderer and forcing an over-the-shoulder camera into the mold in the process.

ed: oh poo poo, I guess it WAS Aurora, not Electron. Gross.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 6, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Quakeworld? I can't remember if that was ever explicitly sold as its own thing. And if you want to get into MMOs, Ultima was 1997.
The first online only thing I can think of is Air Warriors. It was on AOL, but I'm pretty sure it ran on BBS before that some crazy how.

EDIT: Yeah holy poo poo

quote:

Air Warrior was a multiplayer online combat flight simulation game launched by Kesmai in 1988.

Also forgot MUDs

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 7, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

zoux posted:

What is the next 1k hour game I should play?

Snowrunner.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 8, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

I hated XCOM2 vanilla, I think it’s a bad game that is miraculously turned into a great game by War of the Chosen. Just play that straight off, the learning curve isn’t a big deal. Just stay away from the “mysterious alien weapons” mission, that kicks off the alien lords DLC which sucks poo poo.

Agreed with all of this, just play it all at once. I don't go back to games generally, and it was perfectly fine.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Or easily mentally justified because "hey why not, they're all less than a dollar" while you ignore how much it all adds up to in the end until you get to the final checkout and decide enh you've already clicked through two screens to get this far

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 10, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Every IT shop I've ever worked in calls them spinners, so go nuts

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Control was my "got a new video card, time to flex" game. Loved it.
IMO the current top graphical dog/unoptimized video card strainer is MS Flight Simulator though. JOIN US

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

yeah what did 90% of steam users pick

If your argument is that the majority is smart and correct then I don't know what to tell you Cowcaster

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has anyone else's Steam Link been having trouble turning off recently (past couple months or so)? I select the Turn Off system option either in big picture mode or on the base steam link menu and it does...nothing. this doesn't happen every time though, seemingly random

I actually noticed the other day that mine hadn't gone to sleep the night before (I just walked away from it, as usual). But my problem over the last few months has been that if I have a Steam controller attached, the remote play session will rhythmically stutter and flash the red-bad-connection icon.

360 controller works fine, but I like the Steam controller :saddowns:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Vesemir is the oldest Wolf witcher and one of the oldest ones left, but not one of the original order. Probably a hundred years between the first witchers and Vesemir, but then a few more hundred years since then.

Det_no posted:

Considering that the Witcher animated movie

Oh!

Det_no posted:

also that movie was garbage

Oh.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 21, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

secretly best girl posted:

and EA having such disdain for everything under the Origin banner that the only reference they've made to the company was naming their incredibly poor at launch client for the corpse of the business.

Huh, I don't know how I never noticed or connected those dots, but oof...that does hurt.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Act IV also has my favorite version of This World Is Not My Home. Game's music's good.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

Out of the Park Baseball 23 (April 22nd) - Can't believe they've made 23 of these! Wow! idk if people still like this franchise or not

OOTP is great but their full-throated focus on their Perfect Team lootbox card poo poo is so loving unappealing that I'm finally just not buying this one. And I've been onboard since OOTP13.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

A lot of people here really hate it but I didn't think it was too bad.

A lot of people are idiots. Fallen Order was great for the whole 20 hours but I'd say has zero replayability.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

And if you like good Star Wars, it's a pretty good Star War. It's very cinematic and pretty, the acting is good, it gets the feeling right.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh thank you! Claimed, I've been wondering about Suzerain.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Prey without question.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Maybe he is some kind of idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

That's not a fish frog, that's just a frog

See I knew he was an idiot