Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I hope this is the right thread to ask for a recommendation.

I'm looking for something to get sucked into. Things I like - clear goals within an open world, grinds with fun gameplay, short-term objectives as stepping stones to completing long-term objectives, checklists of fun things to do, never feeling like I have to think about what to do next besides selecting a task from a list. I don't care if I'm shooting, mining, swordfighting, driving, rhythming, I'm not married to any genres. As long as the moment-to-moment is engaging and rewarding. I am the kind of guy who opens Minecraft and gets decision paralysis and doesn't do anything until my gf looks over my shoulder and tells me to make a castle in a mountain, at which point I sink an entire weekend into that task.

Games I've lost hours and hours in: Diablo, Vampire Survivors, Warframe, Vermintide 2, Truck Simulator, World of Warcraft, Soulsbournes, various idle games, Deep Rock Galactic, Killing Floor, Hades, Orcs Must Die, pretty much every popular roguelike of the 2010s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks for those suggestions, I will pick up Snowrunner. I see it has a bunch of DLC, will I still have fun without all that? Budget's an issue right now

No Man's Sky is also attractive because of the space angle, and I'm 90% sure I already own it on PS4

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I've never played 1 and have 500 hrs in 2. game is good

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

A lot of the big ones were made baseline. Go into your settings and turn on always seeing player outlines, kill confirm crosshairs, detailed UI info, look at other stuff that sounds good.

The only mod from the workshop I use is the one that makes bots smarter. This is irrelevant if you plan to always play with people

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I didn't know retro fps was a genre now! I really don't learn anything about this hobby since I stopped following Giant Bomb. What's the crown jewel of these games? Is it ultrakill?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah I have hundreds of hours in warframe and while I do enjoy it and come back on occasion, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for a new player unless you specifically have a need for hundreds of hours of grinding and optimization

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Again, 1500 hours in DSP

Also 111 hours in VS guy: :hmmyes:

We may have a personality overlap in masochistic grinds then, and warframe may be for you! It's free to try. Joining up with goons will speed up your early progression by a TON as you'll get gear that you won't find naturally for a long time. But it isn't necessary if you just want to go in as a vanilla pubbie and then hook up with goons when you hit a wall/get bored. I personally prefer seeing what a game is like as a rando before I get carried by goons, but YMMV

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, when posting on my phone I respond in-line, so sometimes questions are answered that I haven’t read yet (especially in a moving thread!).

What about Deep Rock Galactic? It’s exactly in my November game budget, and I know it has lots of goontivity and good vibes…if I literally can’t afford any dlc but really like the price right now, will I be hampered trying to join up without any yet? I can live without cosmetics (at least for 28 days :carol:).

Between this and VT2, my pandemic was full of 4p co-op good times. DRG is great

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I had a ton of fun with MH. A very silly game. Wish it was still playable. Perfect as a "giant checklist of poo poo to do while you watch tv" game

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

When I played wow, I learned that despite having big hands and good dexterity from playing guitar, there was no way I was reliably hitting any number on the row past 5. I used the ctrl modifier so I was able to have ten abilities hotkeyed. Anything else got clicked and if my dps suffered, the rest of the group can lick my butt

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It’s why you get a mouse with numbers on the side.

Bold of you to assume I can handle more than three input options on a mouse

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I had never heard of ESDF until today. It definitely makes sense but I don't know. I learned WASD when my mom bought me half-life 1 in 2000. I'm not confident that 22 years and thousands of hours of gaming is going to make a change like that easy

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Navaash posted:

Since I can't really replace it 1:1 cheaply being in Japan (I already had to replace the face button pad by cannibalizing an older controller with D-pad failure), is their any 3rd-party controller that anyone would recommend, or do I bite the bullet and just get a Bone pad?

8bitdo SN30+ is what I use for PC and Switch. I like it a lot. Can't go wrong with a DS4 either imo

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

Is there any sort of leveling or persistence elements in Vermintide? It looks like if Killing Floor went more melee focused but I like being able to work towards creating unique builds or weapons.

You can use off-meta talents and weapons just fine in anything but the sweatiest difficulty, and even there you might be able to get away with it if you're good enough. I don't play the top difficulty so idk. Legend is the second-to-last difficulty and is the sweet spot for me in balancing challenge and being able to goof off.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

to be super clear there are five characters with 3-4 classes each and while characters level up separately, all of a character's classes level simultaneously - getting to 35 with kruber means every one of his classes is 35, even if you only played mercenary

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

spoilers but the player character doesn't exist, you are actually her

Interesting. I only know about this game from the last couple pages but the description sounds extremely gross especially in light of what happened recently with Amouranth. (For those who don't follow online drama in that sphere, it was revealed she is married to an incredibly abusive rear end in a top hat who psychologically dominated her and would threaten to kill her animals if she didn't stream all the loving time, and a long list of other horrible abusive things)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Bummer. Over the years I probably put $150 or so into KoL for items of the month.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Say whut now 🤔?

Rules systems that say "you are an X? Well all of you are inherently dumber than y" are kinda gross unnecessarily. You don't need it anymore imo. I understand the rationale but in the context of being alive in 2022, we don't need to write racial prescriptivism into our punchman games

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 11, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Fine. Button "hammering". Against generic mooks, it takes 5-10 "hit this guy" button presses (not mashes) to knock one out. In a very graceful and rhythmic way, to be sure. Then you need to hammer that button another 50 or 100 times for all his mates. More if you get hit and knocked out of your combo. And a thirty second walk down the street, you have an identical gang of random mooks.

Everyone posted a bunch of tips and it can be overwhelming. For anyone playing for the first time, I would practice adding one move to my rotation at a time until I could use it without thinking about it. Your ultimate goal is to use every move you have in a fight without dropping your combo or being hit. It's a pretty deep system and takes a lot of practice to master, but I felt it was very rewarding.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Are any of those games graphically beautiful? Got a new pc coming in hot

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

What is the best space game for listening to podcasts while you do resource collection, space courier stuff, and arcade-style fighting? I know no man's sky has this, but are there fun payoffs for your time mining asteroids? Like is there a worthwhile incentive to do it beyond "I want to mine asteroids and catch up on Comedy Bang Bang"? I recently got a new gaming computer so a game that looks really pretty is a plus.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I've heard that voice too, I think its dreamer

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Enjoying the Imperium:

Ironic - funny, silly, "for the emprah lol"

Unironic - the greatest injustices in America are age of consent laws

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

To whoever suggested Astrox Imperium a couple weeks ago, thanks! Looks great on my new system and it's really fun to play Eve without other people.

Now I've been having a weird itch for a more traditional MMO. Normally id install WoW when this hits but I think after 18 years I've finally mentally bucked that game, or at least my willingness to pay a subscription fee. Is there a standout f2p MMO people like? I played a little guild wars 2 at launch. Is that game fun as f2p with no DLC? If not, what do you like? Doesn't have to be fantasy or western art, any genre and setting is cool with me. Even anime.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember reading a review somewhere that said that about OMD3 as well so I don't think OP was imagining it.

I'm sure those reviews are deal but having played 3 I would disagree with them. It's more OMD, if you liked 1 and 2 I think you'll like 3! Unfortunately I ran out of interest about halfway through

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

It's very similar, you kill enemies with your character to get money to place traps. Lots of different enemy types with varying resistances and evasion abilities that make them stronger or weaker against different traps. Co-op mode if you have a buddy.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I loaded up Vampire Survivors but it was feeling kinda stale (I have like 40 hours in it or something) so I picked up Soulstone Survivors and its great! At least for the first hour.

Is there a way I can specifically filter to see only what's on sale? I thought that would be basic but I can't seem to find it. I am sure I am just overlooking it.

e: LotR Shadow of War is 7.50, I liked the first one a lot in 2014 or whatever, is this one good?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I put hundreds of hours into Hades in late 2020/early 2021, back for some more and I love it but I am STILL dogshit with the spear. That weapon just will not click for me. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Spear Enjoyers, help (assume basic spear aspect since I'm on a new save file)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I refunded ds1 years ago after trying it and just bought elden ring. What's the key to success when you suck at video games? I haven't played any of the other souls games. I'm thinking worst case I can find a mod to make it easier if I'm really bumping up against it but want to give it a fair shot first.

Elden Ring trash mobs and exploration: die a lot and try to figure out why you died, don't repeat it

Bosses: same, but if you lose patience, summon Spirit ashes (NPC items) to take aggro from the boss while you cut up its butt. Still stuck and just want to push through? ask a goon for help in the thread

More than anything, be okay with dying, it's fine. It's part of the whole thing. More than many games, dying is an opportunity to learn. And if something is too hard and really has you on tilt, go explore somewhere else for awhile. It'll probably be easier when you come back with another 10-20 levels and better gear.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Stux posted:

i would say go in blind, only use a guide if you are starting to feel its too much. but theres a lot of cool stuff that rules to find on your own.

Agreed. You can play with a guide if you want and still have tons of fun but you can only be blind once. I'd be sure you aren't having fun blind before looking up a walk-through.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Sometimes I ask a teammate to do something and then type "rock and stone" when they do it so they don't think I'm bossy

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Someone recommended Haz 1 as a way to mostly mine unmolested by bugs, and it's really good for that. I put on a podcast, smoke a bowl, and mine away in solo mode for awhile. At haz1 you can finish a lot of missions without ever shooting. Your robot buddy handles everything.

Your meta resource acquisition is wayyyyy slower playing like this but I don't feel any pressure to maximize that right now.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

What is the big selling point/gameplay loop for Cruelty Squad, ie what pulls you to keep playing it? I watched Jeff Gerstmann play it a little bit and it was interesting to see but I couldn't tell if it had legs.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

If you liked the story of Soma, you might also like this brief sci-fi horror story with similar themes: https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I know it got rough reviews at launch but is the ascent worth playing for $10?