Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I've been asked to take over as shop steward at my workplace starting in August. which is cool, but also like some very real responsibility I will have for the well-being and compensation of my colleagues and I'm pretty nervous. By far my biggest concern is my language skills- I'm a migrant to Switzerland and our workplace (and especially management) operates mostly in Hochdeutsch, but some of the departments' union reps communicate mostly in Scheizerdeutsch. Right now I'm a lot less confident in German and less capable of being adversarial because I'm always second-guessing my comprehension. Guess I'll need to hire a tutor if I really want to get serious.

e: also I'm still catching up on a whole new world of labor laws and regulations lol

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lmao tell me how you feel about Swiss German without telling me how you feel about Swiss German

yeah it's a nice vote of confidence in my communication skills to be asked, especially by the current steward who is 10+ years senior, but also arguing with management all the time isn't exactly something many of my colleagues are dying to do.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

just ordered the German edition of No Shortcuts. need to step up my labor organizing Wortschatz

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it's Keine halben Sachen, which is also the german title for the 2009 hit Bruce Willis comedy, The Whole Nine Yards

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell of a way to celebrate labor day

https://twitter.com/shut_downamazon/status/1653073173221449733

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

here're the actual points of contention:
https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1653272585252257793

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I thought it started at 00:00 on May 2nd. I mean I guess it was May 1st somewhere for a couple of hours

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

That reminds me of the 1941 Disney animators' strike, where they lynched and guillotined an effigy of Walt Disney

oh hell yeah

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

the website is erroring out

here's the actual decision from the NLRB

and for laughs here's some employer-side reporting: New NLRB ruling makes life harder for employers: Here’s how

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

vibe check:

management is hiring a new boss for my (unionized) department. we have great influence, but certainly not final say, in the hiring process. 4 semi-finalists have been announced.

what are your thoughts on cold-contacting their current and/or former subordinates on social media for more intel?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

Try to find out if their departments were unionized while the finalists were there. Also be open-ended in your questions when direct contacting

I know for a fact all of them were already unionized and have been for at least 60 years. after also checking with my colleagues that this isn't crossing some cultural boundary I'm not aware of, I contacted employees at one firm and got 2 responses: 1 was from someone who just left and was very candid and enthusiastic about their ex-boss, 1 was shocked to learn their supervisor was looking for a new gig and said she'd get back to me- too stunned to compose a response for now

going to trawl linkedin and facebook for the other firms today.

also: I'm now officially the provisional assistant shop steward until the next election in the fall, and our shop steward is saying she's burned-out and might not run again so I might take over with someone else new as the assistant steward.

fortunately my copy of Rules To Win By just arrived

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Good luck. Steward work is really beneficial for people if someone with militancy and energy is able to do it, the contract protection work between bargaining is hyper important! going through our own first grievance here with a new contract and trying to protect some coworkers from unfairly losing hours. The fight never ends

yes thank you all. I already have 3 meetings scheduled with the head steward and management, one of which is the first round of negotiating compensation for extra-contractual work. it's always been on a case-by-case basis and management feels that the fees we've been demanding have recently inflated too high too fast and they want to create a standardized fee table for extra-contractual projects. I'm prepared to accept a generous offer, but we stand to loose a lot if we accept a rigid framework going forward.

management is sending in the CFO himself to negotiate with, and it'll mostly be in German, which is not my native language. it's going to take a lot of prep work

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hochdeutsch is the official language of 90% of the firm, including my department. But I will insist on either responding in English or having a translator present. The head steward doesn't speak any English though, so if too much of the convo is in English it leaves them alienated.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

my week so far

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Monday was my first meeting with the (new) 2nd senior-most manager to discuss remuneration rates for members of my unit who are offered, and consent to taking on extracontractual [assignments] from management. Our CLA states that such [assignments] may only take place with the consent of the employee, who has the right to negotiate terms, with the shop steward present if desired. Management suggested that it's become difficult and time-consuming to negotiate terms with my unit members, and they would like to create a fair, standardized process for determining fair compensation

so it was Monday that our other steward and I sat down with the sr manager and CFO to hear their offer: which was of course insultingly low remuneration scale, 35% lower than what we've currently been paid over the past 4 years (i.e. even pre-pandemic), peppered with condescension, insults, and threats of outsourcing. It was also clear that management waited to hold this meeting until a particularly busy crunch period for my unit.

now I don't see or feel any existential danger, and feel adequately protected by exercising our rights outlined in our CLA, but the threats really got under the skin of many of my colleagues. This week I spent at least 20 hours having conversations to reassure my coworkers, listening to their concerns and suggestions, talking to our national union staff, and reaching out to shop stewards at peer institutions.

pretty exhausting, but I've learned a lot and somehow feel much happier than I did a week ago, despite a higher stress load. and fortunately, we only have 2 weeks to go before a mandatory 4-week summer break!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

hang in there webcams!

MrYenko posted:

Remember, you’re not there to throw a knockout; You’re there to be in the ring.

o7

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

Way to keep fighting the good fight comrade! As an aside, are you training anyone else in your shop to help with this work?

I know burnout is real in organizing and training others is really the only way I've seen that helps mitigate it.

lol I am the trainee, but thank you and you're right

unfortunately our shop steward is resigning in August and I'm going to be voted into the post, with someone else (no clear candidates atm) having to step up and run for assistant shop steward. current steward just needs a year or two off and then she said she's good to jump back in at least

but I'm organizing my coworkers all the time as much as possible, and I've identified 2 that I think will eventually be great, but they're both very shy at the moment

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Got promoted to unit rep for everyone in my title :w00t:

lol the union gives me more mobility and more leadership opportunities that my actual job, or any job I've ever had.

hell yeah

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sympathy strikes are expressly illegal in the USA.

wildcat strikes are cool tho

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

from a UAW member who's on their local bargaining committee and was a SA member:

"The two tier system obfuscation is lovely but also, SA just chases movements and I would urge teamsters to get critiques elsewhere lol"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Stack Exchange's volunteer mods organized, went on strike, formed a bargaining committee, and won a bunch of concessions. Here are some highlights:

• AI-generated posts: Stack Exchange has agreed to allow the removal of content based on a single strong indicator of GPT usage, or on several weaker indicators... the interim standards that we have agreed on will serve as policy until a more permanent policy is established with the help of the broader community

• A long-term commitment to freely maintaining and providing data dumps, the Stack Exchange Data Explorer, and the Stack Exchange API. Stack Exchange, Inc. has posted a public commitment to freely maintaining and providing these services for the benefit of the community.

• Changes to the Moderator Agreement: A mandatory review period for binding policies; Stack Exchange, Inc. staff cannot mandate moderation actions be taken without a public policy supporting those actions; Determining if Stack Exchange, Inc. violated the Moderator Agreement; Standard feedback and review period for changes to the Moderator Agreement itself

• Changes to internal Stack Exchange, Inc. processes: Communicating with moderators in unclear cases; Not making irreversible changes to the platform; Gathering community feedback before committing to a major change to the platform;

• Changes to the Stack Exchange platform: Notifying users about the policies around AI-generated content; Tooling for mod communication and determining if the company violated the Mod Agreement

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Poppers posted:

Lol gently caress my life admin has thrown me and my coworkers a big ol employment outlook affecting curveball after we all signed individual contracts guess I’m the class salt now!!!!!! :bravo: :sotw: :blastu: :suicide:

sounds very bad but I'm not quite sure what this means

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

a coworker has asked me as Shop Steward to make a formal complaint to management against another coworker for chronic unexcused tardiness. such a complaint would be equivalent to the first step for firing an employee, which sucks. she's had verbal warnings already from her immediate boss, and even all the ""laziest"" members in our unit are punctual.

said coworker also always calls in sick specifically on the most demanding shifts for the whole team, but that pattern is hard to prove

I've always taken the very severe "us vs them" approach with management, and have never in my life taken action against a colleague, and it sucks to be put in this position.

in other news

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah fortunately that's what I ended up doing yesterday. I even told my colleague that they can let management know that we had a conversation about it, but a complaint will not come from me, nor will I corroborate such a complaint to management.

e: pronouns

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Sep 3, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/UAW/status/1703051170908864579

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

IATSE is the weakest of the bunch. on the east coast they're basically a company union, not sure what the West Coast is like. also probably depends on what trade & local you're part of. they've done absolutely nothing for decades to meaningfully fight back against worsening work conditions on sets + the expansion of non-union PA roles encroaching on union labor. I don't work in movie production but have a lot of friends who do (or used to bc they got burned out mentally and physically to the point of just dropping the career) and have heard many horror stories

my understanding is that IATSE members who do Broadway / Classical in NYC have great pay / bennies but the hours are terrible, and it's controlled by 2 families. I think it's much worse in film

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pink noise posted:

iatse isnt really set up to take actions like this because every local has a different contract with every venue, not really with the companies putting on the shows. not sure exactly how it works with movies in la, but i don't think all of local 1 in nyc could strike all of broadway, its dozens of separate contracts.

it's how all of classical music is set up in the USA - stage artists, orchestras, techs, etc each in their own union with their own contract with their venue / management. it's terrible

at least with Equity and AFM the stage artists and orchestras have Broadway / Off-Broadway / Tour / etc CBAs

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pink noise posted:

it makes sense in some ways. this theater has a big orchestra pit and complex fly rail, the musicians and riggers need different terms compared to that other blackbox with no pit or rigging. but yea, it means a company like live nation never has to negotiate with the unions to put on their international stadium tours, so the strength of the iatse locals in nyc, la, chicago, have no influence anywhere else.

for the first arg- Germany has an order of magnitude more theater performances per year in a wide array of large - small & modern - ancient theaters with industry and nationwide CBAs. it's not that hard. it's like saying that Marvel/Green Screen actors need a different SAG CBA than Ethan Hawk when he does a low budget indie film on 35mm film or w/e

geography does have a big impact but even if you're in Little Rock Arkansas at their one Equity theater, you're on the equity CBA. vs classical music with AGMA who has no nationwide bargaining

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pink noise posted:

it could certainly be better, but it was initially organized this way in the 19th century

yeah, and folks are starting to agitate. I know of a ballet company in my region that went AWOL against their own union and ran wildcat actions with the organizational help of the largest construction / utilities union and they won a 20% pay bump. still small and mostly not out in the open, but lots of folks at old institutions with old structures are feeling like they are backed into a corner without much more to lose

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah the pool of well-paying, family-friendly employers who are happy to hire professional labor organizers is pretty small. unionizing all union staffs is critical

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/msainat1/status/1709543105987313670

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

gotta say, after WGA was wrapped up quicker than I expected with reasonably good results, I thought for sure SAG deal would go through quickly too. surprised they're now dragging that out

they're being aggressively bad

https://twitter.com/lodgepolepines/status/1712549545811521638

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1712794594113413244

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1712906059600265641

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol what a whiny piece of poo poo

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

another classic in the “unions are always for Someone Else” genre, now with faux-progressive language https://www.404media.co/bandcamp-editorial-director-fuuuuuck-bandcamp-united/

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah and it's sad like nobody has this. In the US at least idk about trade unions elsewhere.

Here's a handy chart

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1721574645747609673

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

my relatively small employer's management seems to be interested in picking a fight with our union's national leadership and their labor attorneys. 2 new issues escalated to national in 9 days, and no acknowledgement of any wrongdoing. cautiously optimistic rn and hoping a couple key figures are digging their own graves, but it's exhausting to deal with

Geight posted:

Our store was fully shutdown today, there was one anti-union worker who was talking a big game about how the manager was going to keep us open anyways and how he thought the picket would only serve to increase business, and absolutely none of it materialized. We had a modest picket outside for four hours, getting folks to sign petitions and informing them about our working conditions. Some local DSA lads stepped up to beef up our numbers, it was very much appreciated. It took us almost a year to get some direct action going but I'm pretty happy with our first foray. :unsmith:

hell yes brother. incredible work, and no small feat. I am slowly working with a couple colleagues to build this kind of critical mass of solidarity at my job

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

2nd most senior boss in our firm invited me as Shop Steward to an informal chat in 2 weeks, mentioned that they wanted to talk about plans for next year.

I say "sure! what are the topics for this chat?"

a: "it's just an informal chat. there are no topics"

well gently caress me did I just get asked out on a date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Eiba posted:

Hello C-SPAM. First post in this subforum, long time lurker. Love you all, but you're kind of scary.

I work in a small town library. Half a year ago I was elected Steward for the municipal employees in my town. No idea what I was doing, hadn't really been involved before, but no one else stepped up. We're a small Union, not associated with any larger organization. I wanted to do what I could.

Immediately I was wrapped up in a consequential grievance- one town department was being asked to do the work of two departments. They tried to reclassify the positions and the Town Administrator sad "lol, no". This issue has been bouncing back and forth between the Town Administrator and the Select Board and the Union as long as I've been Steward here, so I ended up with a pretty solid grasp of the situation.

This last week the town Select Board asked for a meeting. Our Union president said the time for discussion was past, and we should just push through to arbitration. I didn't want to overstep my bounds, but I pressed to attend the meeting anyway. Even if they weren't going to give us anything, we might as well attend the meeting. It would look better during arbitration if we had been consistently open to talking, right?

So thanks to my advocacy, and my advocacy alone, the meeting happened. In the meeting I was able to outline our position cogently, and explain how all the previous offers from Town Administration were bullshit for various reasons. And the Select Board listened. Just tonight we received a counter-offer that gave us everything we were asking for! An entire town department will get paid for their out-of-grade work, thanks to me!

I'm just thrilled, and I want to shout it out into the ether so here I am. This was the only overtly union focused thread I could find when searching the forums, so I hope this is the appropriate place. Unions are awesome!

o7