Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Great viral marketing campaign by Big Cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jestery posted:

Copped some food poisoning a couple days ago and woke up this morn not wanting to poo poo my entire rear end

Same, I definitely need to top up some electrolytes after the last few days though

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Humphreys posted:

I saw a thread on /r/Australia about feeding pigeons but it got negged to the ground and user deleted their profile.

This reminded me of a bloke up the road who feeds a huge flock of them every day and that part of the suburb has them everywhere roosting. Whats the consensus on this? I'm of the opinion that they are taking the place of natives that I would prefer to be around. I am no expert on birbs so...just post!

According to a mate pigeon tastes really good so just start trapping and eating them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

My work forces everyone to take 3 weeks leave over Christmas so I've got 7 days annual left for the rest of the year.

I used to work for a mob who did this. Depending on how the public holidays lined up you sometimes had to burn 12 days of leave. But it was ok because they gave you one free day and if you did a certain amount of overtime you could get an extra 10 days of leave.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When I worked retail 30 years ago, and I confirmed this today with a friend who still does, we were always taught to never try to detain a shoplifter. Not to try to touch them or lock the door.

Because it was a crime and you were the one who would end up arrested. And probably sued.

Guessing Coles ran the numbers and decided they could make more money this way than they'd lose in lawsuits.

Don't know what would happen to any staff members who get involved in it and I'm guessing Coles doesn't care.

It’s probably still the same and if you vault the gate and run for the exit they won’t bother stopping you, it’ll be part of an effort to make theft seem harder and deter it that way

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i ordered two scallops and actually got two scallops

has the world gone mad

are they actually scallops or just stingray chunks?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I forget this country contains degenerates who refuse to call them potato cakes

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I wish Australia had regional cuisine instead of just different names for poo poo

Pie floaters are quite regional thankfully

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The 18th Amendment Bar in Geelong is great and some of the tables are old bath tubs with planks on top of them

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gromit posted:

I like Toblerone, and appreciate the lack of huge hunks of almond. It's disappointing when the huge ones turn out to be a bunch of smaller ones inside, but it's also hard to eat the giant pieces.
Anyway, here's mine:

A mate got one of these

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for electric whipper snippers? Something with a rudimentary hedging bit would be nice but ultimately I just need something to replace my 2 stroke job that is falling apart and can barely even hold a cord, I can always borrow a Hedger when necessary if it means saving a hundred bucks. Battery life isn't super relevant, I need it for twenty minutes a week tops but something that uses thicker cord would be nice, like more than 1.5 at least cause I have some gnarly weeds around the place I need to hack down once every month or so

The entry level Ryobi one is a bit gutless but it does share a battery with a bunch of other Ryobi tools which is handy. It cuts most stuff but it definitely struggles with woody weeds like nightshade. The 36V version is probably better but you pay a shitload more for it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

become a binfluencer, gently caress with the neighbours by taking the wrong bin out so they take the wrong bin out too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ducks are fun but they make a lot of mess and you need some fresh water for them to wash themselves in

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jestery posted:

If deep heat gets on your bits, vasoline soothes the burn

I went to uni with a guy who, along with his gf at the time decided that the warmth of deep heat would make sex feel better.

It ended up with her shovelling ice cream in her vagina for half an hour until the burning subsided

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

ABC news uses, or has recently used the terms

Boaties - people who use boats recreationally

Fishos - recreational anglers

Are these real terms that Australians use?
I haven't come across them and I know a few boating/fishing types but they're children of immigrants so tend to use different slang

They're both pretty common in fishing circles.

Bald Stalin posted:

That's a funny name, I'd have called them cunts

That's jetkiiers

also

Breetai posted:

Thread title

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

Someone's gotta invent self mowing grass

replant it with a chamomile lawn

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I’ve got a Reece plumbing branded straw hat I found floating in the ocean. I’ve also got one of those legionnaire hats with a flap that covers my face leaving just an eye slot

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lazza the azza

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I feel like if she'd started turning she'd get past it, unless the carport is extremely narrow

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The scaffolding was no doubt put up by dodgy Lebanese builders

Whoforthenwhat posted:

You could get out of that. Might be a 300 point turn and a pain to do over and over but you could make that turn.

Unless as above said the carport is wall to wall narrow as hell.

Nah, it wouldn't even need a big turn. Just enough to change the angle so you're reversing into that lane off to the left.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Remember bringing cupcakes for the whole class when it was your birthday in primary school

Another victim of the nanny state

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He had dozens and dozens of other songs but people only remember that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKLafoa0HTg

He's also an editor for Quadrant so he's probably cancelled

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gromit posted:

Is there a secret trick to up your 2-minute noodle game? Like, adding extra cheese or egg or something? And keeping it lazy and cheap, of course - I'm not suggesting a good option is to slip a lobster under it.

Frying an egg and shredding it over the noodles is good, doing that with a chicken thigh is even better. Throw some frozen Asian veggies into the water at the same time you start cooking the noodles

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

so does amy shark only know one hairdo?

yes

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

my prediction is there will be an nrl international incident after the vegas game

Someone pissing in their mouth again would give them the airtime the sport is clearly craving

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I made a sculpture and it got installed this morning at Glenelg beach

Yes that's it's lovingly sculpted penis flopped out onto the sand

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-09/beached-whale-replica-at-glenelg-for-adelaide-festival/103568354

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4RZyRHSSY_/

The digital sculpt

I think a giant goonbag like the one they did in Perth would be better

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Infinitum posted:

My fav Jamie Oliver bit was when he smuggly showed a bunch of young kids how chicken nuggets are made, effectively using all the left over 'unwanted' parts, did a big song and dance over how disgusting the process was, and the kids STILL wanted to eat the chickie nuggies.

The best part is watching him die inside :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aKqp1kzKg

Yeah to be honest when I was living solo he was one of my first ports of call to learn how to not make dogshit meals constantly.

A lot of his work around teaching people how to cook was incredibly noble, but it always came with a slight air of talking down to people.

Nah the best bit was giving Uncle Roger an aneurysm by adding chili jam to fried rice

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

i think i watched that movie in school? or another movie about solar cars

We always got Cool Runnings

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bee posted:

Was looking at this ABC article about how much money I'll apparently need in retirement and it looks like I'm way, way behind where I need to be. Hooray for leaving the workforce to have a kid I guess :(

Chuck whatever you do have into the high growth option, you'll probably catch up.

Also if you own your own house in retirement you can get by on gently caress all super, the minimum drawdown plus the age pension ends up being pretty decent when you have limited outgoings.

Renters are hosed though, you'd be better off using your super to buy a small unit as soon as you can access it rather than paying rent.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bee posted:

^^ it's this hey

I have 40k in hecs debt that I've been throwing money into a high interest savings account for and was planning to pay a big chunk off of this eofy. But now I'm wondering if I should put the money into my super instead. Mr bee says "hecs is a debt no one is coming after you for so why worry about it". But I've been paying it off since 2018 and have only knocked it down by $12k in that time even though I've been paying extra on it each year.

I should probably talk to a financial advisor :(

Yeah don't bother paying off your HECS imo

I'd invest it either in super or a portfolio outside of super depending on how soon you think you might need the money. You pay less tax on earnings in super so it grows faster but you can't access it until you're old af. Outside of super you pay tax on earnings at your marginal rate but in an emergency you can sell some down to get some cash.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jabor posted:

it's way more achievable to live in some suburb out in the middle of nowhere when you're retired and living that far out doesn't mean a two hour daily commute

i mean your quality of life would take a huge nosedive but as far as "can afford to buy a house and live in it"...

The only real downside to moving a long way out when you hit retirement is the lack of services people tend to need a lot more as they get old and more prone to medical issues.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Infinitum posted:

:rip: to the poor bastard who fell out of a hot air balloon this morning in Melbourne

Probably overwhelmed by the gravity of the situation

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

If we had our time again we would have paid off HECS sooner. Money tied up in investments isn't bad, but a debt with repayments that goes up with your income sucks when you are busting your arse working and dying for better cash flow.

If I had my time over I'd have done a trade.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

so glad my school made everyone attend a big assembly in yr10 to say that leaving school to do a trade was financial suicide and you will never earn more than 50k a year (in 2000s money) if you become a tradie.

I lost count of the number of tax returns I did for tradies on 6 figgies, while I wondered why I bothered racking up the HECS on a masters.

It's not all trades but if you do a fitter & turner apprenticeship and grab a few additional tickets (confined spaces, working at heights, high voltage etc) you'll always be in high demand.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Apparently the terrible logo and the colour scheme have some kind of history with footy in tas, they didn't just pull it out of their arse. Looks dumb though

Isn’t it their old VFL logo from when they had a team back in the day?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I made some pork belly burnt ends in the pellet grill. There were a few dry bits but the flavour is pretty good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Humphreys posted:

Oh god, that wins. Do they even make that delightful thing anymore? I used to slice tiny slivers off it when mum wasnt home.

The Aldi one is the best imo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Youtube premium just doubled the cost of their family plan at end of April. Holy crap that's a big jump.

Do Piholes work at blocking all the bullshit on YT?

Because gently caress me that's excessive.

I guess that’s why they were cracking down on Adblockers a few months back.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Have used ublock and Firefox for years, thought that was on the hit list when Google did their 'adblockers hurt our billions of profit dollars'. Or did they end up losing that?

I don't think they 'lost', I think the plan all along was to spend a few months hassling adblock users into either paying for premium or watching ads.

Beyond that it would turn into an arms race between Google's devs and open source adblockers where a bunch of people are basically donating their time; at some point the money they're putting into defeating adblockers isn't going to result in any new subscribers so they might as well focus on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is ABP poo poo? I've used it for years on chrome and the only ads I ever see are here. There was about a week it blocked the youtube ads but the time still played out, otherwise no issues ever.

I think ABP lets through certain ads if the advertiser pays them, so you get rid of some of the more obnoxious stuff but you'll still get some.