Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since we're talking episode count, I've just been on a big old binge either catching up on or rewatching a load of new Trek. I've gone through Prodigy, Lower Decks, SNW and Discovery; LD is the perfect length for the format because of how dense it is, SNW definitely needs a few more episodes per season. Discovery pretty much has the right amount for what it is.

I'm surprisingly invested in Prodigy, I want to see the galaxy's most forgettable commander make it back okay.

I have not watched Picard because the small amount I did watch and everything I've seen and heard since made me sad.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn’t see it mentioned, but the final season of Disco premieres 4/4

I can't believe how well Discovery turned it around, season two was a fumble for the ages that made me try to forget it ever existed, but when I started season three I just ploughed straight through to the end. My main criticism is that it's really blue and they need to stop that, no-one wants to live in perpetual sci-fi blue. Otherwise I thought it entirely redeemed itself, I'm really pumped for the last season.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drat, I really liked the last two seasons of Discovery. And this is after I dropped it for a couple of years because season two was possibly the worst season of television I've ever sat through in my life.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

T'Lyn looked horrified when Boimler got blown up when they were on the ring planet with the faulty AI, she tried to hide it but really couldn't. She's definitely come to appreciate him if nothing else.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

T'Lyn looked horrified when Boimler got blown up when they were on the ring planet with the faulty AI, she tried to hide it but really couldn't. She's definitely come to appreciate him if nothing else.

I went back and checked this episode again and T'Lyn is also the only one leaning in and holding the edge of the bed when Boimler is revived.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I think it's both. They figured out how to write her and she grew. :shrug:

Watching season one back, Mariner starts out too insubordinate, like I know it's a cartoon but if they did it again knowing exactly where they'd go I imagine they'd pull her back a touch as there's such a big disconnect between how she was at the academy and what she becomes that goes way beyond a sudden bout of youthful rebellion. It also means that they've had to get her to the point she's at now more slowly than they could have without it seeming like too sudden a change.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, like I feel that a lot of people would have noticed the massive change in her demeanour and realised that something specific was up, but that's just a symptom of writing over the course of several seasons that you need to gloss over rather than a major criticism I have.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tig Notaro is probably my favourite engineer across all series, I wish she'd been a bit more prominent especially in season two where she turns up then vanishes for so long that I didn't realise that she was meant to be a main character.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I want live action Mariner and Boimler to show up at the end of a Disco ep as a comedy beat. No need to follow up on it, just leave it hanging. For double hilarity, have Michael be “…Beckett?”

I would definitely like to see Pike appear in LD and acknowledge Mariner, only for Captain Freeman to lose her poo poo and Mariner to respond "sorry, temporal prime directive, I can't tell you why I'm besties with the actual Captain Pike".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's probably frowned upon at least, Mariner does refer to it as "that Pike thing we aren't supposed to talk about".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The cleanest way to do this would be Spock. (Pelia or Number One also make some sense. How the gently caress long does an Illyrian live?)

"It has been... a very long time... Lieutenant Mariner."

*entire bridge crew stares at her*

"...what... Spock says weird poo poo all the time... don't listen to him... anyway..."

That's a good point, is Spock still alive/around at the time of Lower Decks? Did the JJ Abrams films specify when he went back in time, or does that still even count as a canon event?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like that Discovery decided that time travel had reached the logical point of absurdity then everyone collectively decided that they were done with it. No more time travel for anyone without exception, and if you see a time rift just forget you saw it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Now feels like a good time to revisit the original concept for Voyager, where they don't have infinite power and shuttlecraft and need to maintain the ship with whatever they can find. Disco's story-led, weightier feel would be perfect for it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Top tier opening credits too, probably my favourite after SNW and Enterprise.

E: also the animated shows can show off some fun alien designs that they can't do in live action. Lower Decks has the squid guy collector, the plant guy collector, the three armed orange aliens, the green one who can split into different parts and the hunter K'ranch just off the top of my head.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 1, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

True, but now they have a budget and a willingness to actually draw people on model. TAS drew M'ress like a boss-eyed koala.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

An Archer style comedy would at the same time be exactly like and completely different to Lower Decks and now I really want to see it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You wonderful goon, what a gift you have given me this day.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Every time I consider watching Picard just to round things out I hear something else that makes me not want to bother.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think the Borg Queen was the big mistake that ruined the concept of the Borg over time. If she'd been like a queen bee or ant it might well have worked by expanding what the Borg are while giving them the figurehead antagonist the writers desperately wanted, but having someone who is extremely individual and unique and also clearly wants to remain as such, but also leading what is meant to be a singular collective, just doesn't really mesh. And all the nonsense that entails from that contradiction just spins the whole thing out of control until you have to kill them off.

Khanstant posted:

The Borg finally assimilated the lessons of kindergarten books and could make peace with other species while enticing individuals into a higher state of collective consciousness.

And then they were naw gently caress that let's kill most people in the dumbest way using stupidest Borg plot yet

Case in point. You can have them as this inhuman terror that doesn't share any goals or aspirations that are compatible with individualist existence, or you can have them attempt to learn to understand and exist alongside individualism from a collectivist perspective, but if you try to marry the two then it inevitably falls apart and you have to kill them all anyway and you haven't really proved anything or made a salient point along the way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Voyager did cover that, the Borg Queen roots out the unbelievers and kills them to avoid contamination.

But that just goes back to the issue of how your interconnected collective now relies on one person's continued existence and individualism to maintain itself and you suddenly don't have any idea what the Borg are anymore or why they're actually doing any of this. It turns the Borg from a collective into a one-woman cult.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 12, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm rewatching Enterprise and it is an absolute clown show on that ship.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A twist on the mirror universe I thought would be neat would be for someone to come through and attempt to start influencing the prime universe as a means of affecting the mirror universe.

The entire concept just doesn't work if you take it seriously, like any divergence would spin it into a completely different beast in no time at all, so the events of the mirror universe have to be actively tied to the prime universe like a planet forced to orbit a sun. But by that token, a few embedded agents could engage in a secret war of espionage in the prime universe to influence things for their faction, a bit like the temporal war but trying to affect a different universe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Somehow, Michael Eddington returned.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would have been cool if Seska had stuck around on the crew, it would have been a real good point of conflict and it's not like Janeway could complain given that she had snuck her own saboteur onto the Marquis ship.

I guess we'll add that to the pile of things that could have been with Voyager.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Trust us when we say that changes very quickly and Prodigy is seriously hard core about Star Trek values.

"Hey kid, want some Star Wars?" *Secretly hands you some Star Trek*

It's kind of a neat way to do it, having the cast not actually have any idea what the Federation is and learning as they go.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Now GoTG is largely wrapped up and gently caress knows what's happening with Star Wars, a new JJTrek might make a bit more sense on a spreadsheet. I mean, Dune seemed to do ok, and on paper that's far more niche than Trek.

God, a Denis Villeneuve Trek movie would certainly be something. You'd be able to hear every molecule rematerialising in the transporter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Give me all the greeblies, I'll take em all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this the Star Trek thread in which to discuss potential new movie and TV show news?

We get round to it sometimes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

They just need to find a species that is innately able to connect, like the tardigrades, but that is also able to consent to becoming a navigator. I bet Morn could do it.

Someone get on to the Jim Henson studio and bring Pilot out of storage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Taear posted:

It has the same issue all the Kelvin films do really - it's relying on you already knowing the characters from seeing TOS so it doesn't need to spend time with them at all

Or like in the second one where he reveals that his real name is Khaaaaaannnnn and it clearly expects you to think this is a shocking reveal and doesn't explain why until OG Spock says "oh yeah, he's super dangerous, we had a whole movie about it once".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jesus I forgot how ill-fitting that uniform was - look at Stewart’s collar

Clearly it was designed for his First Contact days when he was inexplicably an absolute beefcake.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Excellent, I shall enjoy that probably.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Started watching. I clocked Adam Jensen's voice immediately, that was neat.

God but Saru and Chancellor Whatshername are the most boring couple in history, an entire relationship based on awkwardly dancing around the point.

I don't consider that a spoiler given that this was how they were last season as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess it didn't actually need explaining but I kind of like that they're addressing hey, why ARE all these species a bunch of mostly-compatible bipeds? It also gives them some more avenues to explore in future series that take place in the same era, especially if they explore other galaxies now that their existing one is starting to feel pretty filled out and complete.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That chase and everything else that Tendi and Rutherford did were programmed by Boimler, it's all the stuff that he and Mariner did that was made up, like Nick Nack and the talking cave.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was absolutely dumbfounded by the season two finale, like my brain just shut down from the absolute bombardment of stupid, nonsensical horseshit delivered through an endless barrage of kaleidoscopic vomit.

That may be why I really enjoyed everything afterwards, in comparison S3 - 5 have been a clear improvement.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I thought very little of the first episode of SNW, then thought it immediately improved. It's classic episodic Trek with a movie budget, and it finds time for a bit of everything - high stakes, low stakes, thoughtful, incredibly dumb, directed by Frakes - everything a healthy Trek needs.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, he's always been like that. I honestly can't imagine him without it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Plinkett Star Wars videos are arguably what really launched them to the height of their popularity. They used to regularly do the YouTube thing of strange personalities and skits and scenarios, but at this point they've largely aged out of it, the only semi-regular video of that type that they still do is Nerd Crew, which is explicitly taking the piss out of a particular type of person. Plinkett videos are extremely rare now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RLM are just a group of friends doing whatever the gently caress they feel like, for better or worse. It's a shame that they haven't bothered with SNW, but they did full reviews of Picard and the first two seasons of Discovery and I think those pretty well killed their interest in new Trek, and Mike did say he watched the first episode of SNW and disliked it for much the same reasons I did so I can't really blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

To be fair, this is a running theme for the entire franchise at the moment. Voyager got a stealth sequel, TNG got Picard, DS9 got... an episode in LDS. And that wasn't even a very good LDS episode because the only thing going for it was "OMG we got greenlighted to do an episode at DS9".

Tendi going full pirate was amazing, then she gets to the last room and just screams at the guy and he immediately sees where his future is heading and leaps off the balcony.