Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

This is nothing but the media hasn't had a good Swine Flu/SARS/Zika paranoia recently so they're alllll over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Cured actually means “totally didn’t die but symptoms are gone” right??

Chrs posted:

I thought there was no cure?

"Cured" means you were confirmed positive for the infection previously and no longer have the infection in your system. "Cured" can mean natural immunity or treated.

The super high number of infected/not yet cured may be "well" and asymptomatic, but still has testing markers for infection so they are not considered cured. Not sure off of the top of my head what the shedding period is/how long people stay infectious.

The R0 estimate from the WHO is around 1.4-2.5 which is roughly in line with "bad year" seasonal flu outbreaks. This year's flu has been pretty bad for pediatric deaths; the coronavirus so far has mostly killed people over the age of 65 with only a handful in the 30-50 range. Like yes, exercise good handwashing and stop touching your loving face, but panicking over this is not helping anyone. It's just making things worse for healthcare providers.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

Anyone who’s all like “lol it’s no big deal it’s not like Ebola” go read up on the Spanish flu. Read about how it came to be, how it mutated, how many people it killed, how people could shoot blood feet away from them Ebola style, and how it evolved to actually attack people in their prime and cause what is called a cytokine storm.

It’s obviously a very different illness from this, but it’s just a reminder that just because this new disease isn’t as outwardly horrific as Ebola doesn’t mean you should feel immune to it as a young, healthy adult in a first world country.

Lol when did I bring up ebola or say anything of the sort? Quarantining is objectively a very bad response to outbreaks except for in the most severe circumstances, it increases infection and fatalities while doing very little to actually curtail the spread. WHO will almost always discourage it for this reason. It has nothing to do with "feeling young and healthy in a first world country," avoiding fomite exposure with basic proactive hygiene and staying home when you're ill is the exact same public health advice for basically everything. Encouraging panicking and blowing out medical supplies so healthcare providers cannot work effectively is the worst thing governments and media can do.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Again though those estimates are using data that China has provided which is dubious at best.

There has been a great deal more transparency about this outbreak (ironically, because of how hosed they were during SARS) and we have AI learning now that doesn't depend on official statements at all https://www.wired.com/story/ai-epidemiologist-wuhan-public-health-warnings/

SARS had an R0 of 2-5.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Durf posted:

this thread made me watch Contagion again

fun movie but I never noticed how they stress that matt damon only lost a cheating wife and non-biological son lol

i always had to start with high-contagion/limited symptoms, then mutate into super death bug

its like if someone figured out how to weaponize hpv, the human race would be finished

HIV is already uh, "perfect" as far as a world-ending virus. Very long period of infectivity before serious symptoms, many initial symptoms are quiet, doesn't kill right away (sometimes for years even without treatment, and decades with). It's only downside is it's a fragile little bitch. If it mutated to being airborne, or hardier in fomites even, it would be disastrous for humanity.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

coronavirus posted:

If you have money HIV is a joke. See : Magic Johnson. Also, like everyone in North America in 2020. HIV barely kills anymore in rich areas.

Lol yes, most of the planet is rich, you got me. Even assuming that was somehow a thing, if suddenly 10-20% of the population has it resources would run scarce. It's ability to remain infectious for years without killing it's hosts with or without treatment and lack of outwardly obvious symptoms for an extended duration makes it an incredibly successful virus. This is why hemorrhagic fevers are (usually) so flash in the pan as far as location and duration, they kill too quickly and too obviously.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

How long do you think these 50 million people or whatever it's at now are going to be locked down? What happens when things start getting scarce or when the people who can't work because so much poo poo is closed down no longer have the money to buy food and supplies every two days?

The infection and fatality rate spikes because people are no longer well nourished or treated enough for their immune systems to save them. Secondary outbreaks build up from the presence of dead, lack of sanitation/trash removal, etc. This is basically why quarantines are really, really measure of last resort and often do more harm than good but addressing major public health crises otherwise is a lot of :effort:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Despera posted:

2 hours? Jesus

That says nothing to account for who he was sitting near flying in and who he was sitting near flying back out though. The virus has been around since December, he could have been seated near someone infected returning home on the flight to China for several hours.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Rashaverak posted:

I encountered way, way too many people who simply thought that disasters were things that only happened to other people until they found themselves in the middle of one and completely unprepared. Granted, the worst I saw was during Katrina, so I'd like to hope that people have wizened up in the last 15 years - but even in the smaller disaster responses I participated in later I still saw ostensibly intelligent, well-off and educated people who didn't have basic necessities for longer than a few days... and far too many families that were living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't even guarantee their kids food and medicine for a day, much less a week.

Of course, those people aren't reading this, but that's where I come back to checking on your vulnerable neighbors before/when disaster strikes and making sure they're prepared too. I saw what I still consider to be some of the finest examples of humanity in the Katrina response in the simple acts of kindness of neighbors helping neighbors, and I would hope to see the same in communities (if any) affected to the degree we see in China.

It doesn't even have to be a natural disaster/catastrophic event, remember a few years ago when Atlanta got less then 2" of snow, but it was icy mix and GADOT didn't send out the ice trucks until after it was started and the whole city was functionally shut down for 48 hours? *Nobody* in the Atlanta area was prepared for that, kids were stranded at schools (including special needs kids) with inadequate food supplies (since cafeteria staff left after their end of day/before the poo poo hit the fan and nobody left knew WTF to do with industrial kitchen equipment), people couldn't get to hospitals, power lines downed by ice and accidents couldn't get fixed because trucks couldn't dispatch, and so on all because of an error in judgement as far as when to salt the loving roads and deciding to no close schools early. A disaster entirely of the state's own making and while Georgia certainly learned it's lesson you can drat well bet other states will make similarly boneheaded moves around other minor/handle-able issues. If you're not always a little bit prepared for fuckery it's hard to prepare for someone else's bad decisions at the last minute.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so has it been determined how it started? in the example of it just being a mutation of the flu (which is probably unlikely) would other areas besides china have a chance of mutating in a similar fashion?

What Bob Socko said. This book is a very digestible while not totally dumbed-down intro to zoonosis and epidemiology if you're interested in learning more: https://smile.amazon.com/Spillover-Animal-Infections-Human-Pandemic/dp/0393066800/

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Not unless you're old or immunocompromised in some way.

You should wash your hands and stop touching your face.

Like, for the rest of your life not just now. You will get sick way less.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Was the doc that whistle blew about this issue immunocompromised? Because he wasn’t old

I’m not talking about encasing myself in lucite with an n95 rated snorkel. I’m just gonna get some cartridges just in case, otherwise I’ll use them for sanding some time.

His immune system was probably compromised by that whistle.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7mZH2u3Qc

Play this music whenever you check the virus maps.

Here's a chinese biotech company with the same logo in shang hai.

I was hoping for this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUNNXecb6nA given the quarantine ship and all.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Cigarettes and boner pills? What do you think this is, the quarantine of Versailles?!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Probably the best unexpected development in this entire thread.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

This is nowhere near my number and I can't imagine it is for most working Japanese parents either.

(edit)

The tweet is also dumb and wrong, it's a $80 compensation to businesses who's employees take paid leave to care for kids.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The blow job factory will never shutter its doors

I have some terrible news.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

First sign of lawlessness in Richmond hath come: ninja stoner smash-and-grabbing from a closed head shop
https://www.instagram.com/p/B91Y_GklpNU/

Seems like most of the city is going along with the quarantine though. Even the 24-hour diners that have never closed for anything are closed, the restaurants that remain open are now curbside pickup only, and breweries are doing beer delivery now.

Oh poo poo yeah, I don't have to wait for off-days at The Answer for crowlers now.

(edit)

gdi only Tu-Th-Su noon to 5 pickup

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 18, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

My friends laughed when I said I got four bags of tendies as part of my emergency prep back in February. Who's laughing now? :smug:

(they are still, bagged frozen chicken tenders are like 15% actual meat)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/who-officials-say-its-unclear-whether-recovered-coronavirus-patients-are-immune-to-second-infection.html

The World Health Organization is saying that it is not clear that people are able to build anti-bodies coronavirus. If that is true, and considering how contagious this virus is, isn't that pretty much civilization ending if we are forced into isolation for possibly years, if not forever?

What? No. There's multiple strains of this so it's entirely possible certain groups of people who have convalescent plasma for one strain won't adapt as well to another and get sick again but that doesn't at all mean they will get *as* sick and wouldn't make something like a vaccine completely out of the question. I hate to use flu as a comparison becuase this isn't like the flu and anyone being like "iT's JuSt A fLu," is a loving idiot but you're never immune to all flus just because you've had one strain, and you don't retain immunity to strains you've had long-term either. It just means that any vaccine or treatment we develop will likely need to be annualized and not a one-and-done.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah you know what wouldn't be wonderful?

The means of food production collapsing during a pandemic, though. How about we take one step at a time here, alright man? Jesus christ.

It'd be fuckin great if the world ran on hugs and love and everyone cared for their fellow man forever, you know? Current status: Praying we don't get hosed sideways even more than we already are. I'll hope for what I can and keep tabs on the rest if that's ok?

This. Lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, beans, etc. have all been sold out everywhere for going on six weeks now around me and drat near everywhere online. "People should eat less meat anyway" is really loving stupid when non-meat protein is completely unavailable because as it ends up, you loving die with no protein/amino acids at all.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Virginia
Pro - our governor declared stay-at-home order until June 10th back end of March/beginning of April so we've been planning on a longer term lockdown for two weeks now
Con - attached to DC, convenient "make an example of them" distance from Trump

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Earwicker posted:

virginia voted for him and can also be more or less considered a swing state making you guys less of a target for that

nope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election

We kicked his rear end in a top hat buddy Dave Brat out of his (central VA) seat too last midterm cycle. We're solidly purple but bluer by the year.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Philthy posted:

lol at the meat packing plants saying they can't open because all their employees are too sick to work

they literally have no one to run the plants

president is dumb enough to think beep boop executive order fix everything

beep boop wrong again dumbo

The cool thing about, for example, the Smithfield class action suit https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/smithfield-foods-sued-over-working-conditions-missouri-during-coronavirus-n1191796 is that very little media is reporting the fact that the suit isn't seeking money...

Associated Press posted:

The lawsuit doesn’t seek monetary damages but is asking for an injunction to force Smithfield to comply with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and public health guidelines.

And the President is literally seeking to protect the companies from suits of this nature across the board.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

*puts an arm around your shoulder and makes a giant, flourishing sweep of the other arm towards "The Entire Last Century"*

I get what he's saying though, since, oh 2016? they've been "saying the quiet part out loud." The GOP has happily been willing to trade poor and minority lives for marginal GDP increases for the last century, yes, but it's still a little surreal to hear them on TV braying about how patriotic it is to die for capitalism.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

"No meat" is not even a forecasted problem. It's just "less meat".

Have your family each get a half a porkchop with dinner instead of a whole chop each. Once a week make a stir fry with tofu instead, keep eating meat the rest of the week. Wow gosh golly gee what a loving dystopian nightmare we're living in!!!

I can't recall who said it or where but someone in the WH said they'd never seen Trump eat a vegetable and honestly I think that sums up pretty well why he's blowing up this particular issue like it's a massive crisis.

(edit)

Source is "a source" and it was brought up originally in the context of how SOL he was going to be in India where beef in meals isn't a thing. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/23/politics/donald-trump-india-beef-vegetarian/index.html

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 29, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Rolo posted:

In Blistering Whistleblower Complaint, Rick Bright Blasts Team Trump’s Pandemic Response

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/whistleblower-complaint-rick-bright-blasts-team-trumps-pandemic-response

The filing is long but worth a read https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=6882560-Rick-Bright-Whistleblower-Complaint

I doubt there will be any meaningful fallout from it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

100% of workers at a farm in TN test positive after one worker falls ill. 200+ workers and less than a dozen are not working, the remainder are out in the fields picking produce while infected with COVID-19. Dormitory style living quarters.

But yeah I'm sure it'll be fine to open up college campus housing in a couple of months.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Spinz posted:

No lie I've read far too much about this and while you should and will be vigilant your son is STILL very much not at high risk. Kids really are extremely unlikely to become ill, literally millions are infected and ? a handful of deaths.

Just posting because anxiety is so very awful.

I don't blame you for being absolutely furious.

Don't take this the wrong way but this is incorrect in a pretty dangerous way and I really hope you're not saying this to other parents in your life. While children are in the least likely group to be hospitalized for breathing difficulties there are a number of unique ways COVID-19 presents in pediatric cases and parents should absolutely be vigilant about keeping their kids from getting it if at all possible. We have absolutely no way of knowing at this point what the long term ramifications of this illness is on development, especially with mounting evidence of vascular and neurological effects.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/32076-a-review-of-neurological-complications-of-covid-19
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-considerations-in-children
https://newsroom.heart.org/news/kid...very-infrequent
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7180343/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30980-6/fulltext

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Spinz posted:

Seperately, since you seem well informed I have a question/comment I've never asked or seen asked anywhere. My tentative understanding is that inhalation thru the nose perhaps causes worse illness. (In sum, for sake of discussion) Also perhaps lungs perhaps gives better chance of fighting the infection?

My point is I've wondered why nose plugs aren't a ppe, specifically the soft kind that go in ears, but designed for nostrils. If only the mouth has to be covered because nostrils are plugged then that mouth mask could provide a FAR better seal.

Seems that only having one respitory entryway to the head rather than 3 would be a good thing.

?

This actually brings up an interesting point as far as how COVID-19 infects. Your nose is much better at filtering crap out before it gets to your lungs than you mouth is - in some cases this can be a problem (eg people with seasonal allergies or sinus related issues tend to have a higher susceptibility to sinus infections) but for COVID-19 this is not the case. There may be a social perception that nose breathing has a higher infection rate but I expect this is attributable to most people being nose-breathers (so as a higher percentage of the pool, it would make sense for them to have more infections).

Looping back to my first sentence, COVID-19 preferentially attaches to cells on ACE2-receptors - these exist all over your body, but they're fairly surface exposed and in relatively high concentration in lung cells, which is why for most people the manifestation of the virus is there. The receptors are also in heart cells, blood vessels, digestive tract, kidneys, and so on, but you do also have some in sinus epithelial cells. Some studies have suggested that part of why children don't have as severe respiratory symptoms is a lesser distribution of ACE2-receptors in the sinuses and lungs (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2766522) but it's probably too early to know for sure.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

One of my dumb gently caress toxic positivity friends posted some obnoxious Tumblr meme that said something to the effect of, "the only thing you need to say to your friend sending their kid back to school is 'wow, that must have been a hard decision for you,' they don't need your negative input on a difficult time," and it's like...nah. If there's not a financial situation that necessitates sending your kid back (which in the USA is totally a possibility), if your me-time is more important than your kid's or someone else's kid's life and well-being you're a lovely parent and I've not no problem telling you as much.

People keep focusing on deaths as if that's the only "bad" number. Suppose the reproductive effects we're seeing in some adults causes sterility when experienced by children. The potential effect of an entire generation with a reduced ability to procreate is economically devastating, on top of the psychological impact. That's *one* possible non-death side effect that's being treated like a minor inconvenience to some adults with zero consideration or study on the impact to kids. It's absolutely loving batshit how cavalier public health officials are being about this to kowtow to the administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

wyoak posted:

There are enough bad effects of covid, you don't need to doom-fantasize theoreticals. What if it mutates into a deadlier form and people who don't have b or t cell memory from the milder strain all die!!!

You're saying this like it's an unlikely far-off worst case scenario. We already know in some cases men can have issues with ED (or the inverse, where they get semi-permanent erections) even after recovery from infection. A pre-pubescent child would not know if they are unable to achieve erection until they were older and for the latter presumably a parent would notice and alert a pediatrician but they may ignore it and assume the child was self-exploring. If effects to the internal pudendal artery are permanent, it is entirely possible this would impact fertility. It would also likely be a very small percent of the population that had this side effect, but again, a small percent of a large group is still a massive impact with major economic and social implications.

It's a vascular disease. A vascular side effect is not a "doom fantasy."