Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Stay tuned for an effort post on why this is a conspiracy (I may make a thread actually)

Laugh if you will! The spread is intentional. “They” want people in North America to become infected and die. Every policy for dealing with this in either Canada or us is focused on minimizing awareness and preparedness when available healthcare has already all but collapsed. The worst is yet to come and it’s being done by design.

This goes back to the “who’s killing the worlds microbiologists?” list: it’s full of unusual deaths for people with very specific expertise on fighting disease throughout the 90s and 2000s. It’s stuff like “the professor was found naked, beaten, bloody, and crammed under a chair. His death was ruled a suicide”

These are the people who could have helped us, and they were killed intentionally.

Whoever simply said “nope” to my speculation re: this pandemic being related to last years break-in at Canada’s national microbiology laboratory: well good I’m glad we got that all cleared up

This is all being done by design. The system is being allowed to fail on purpose. Get ready for martial law and bans on any public gatherings of any size

Where is your effort post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Pussy Quipped posted:

It isn't about you, dumby, its about everyone you come in contact with over 50 and with compromised immune systems.

I'm immunocompromised and the one upside of that is that people with compromised immune systems are usually already taking the kinds of measures being recommended to guard against covid-19 because those basic infection control guidelines protect us from the thousands of other bugs which represent a threat to our health and well-being.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Totally agree, nobody should just turn up at the ER presenting symptoms. My frustration was with the government's unwillingness to test people without specific criterta. I know we're short on testing supplies but if we're only testing people with a specific set of symptoms then those will be the only cases we find.

It's not an efficient use of limited resources to test people who don't have severe symptoms at this point in time. While the epidemiological data might be useful, it's likely we'd still miss a lot of mild cases even if the testing criteria were changed.

If you're sick enough to think you should be tested, you should probably be self-isolating anyway so that you don't pass on whatever you have (whether it's covid-19 or not) to others.

What is stupid is when you have a premier making statements like this because they don't even know their own health department's policy regarding testing.

Gladys posted:

Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Wednesday warned the number of COVID-19 cases was likely to rise in the next few days.

She says anyone who is feeling unwell should contact their GP or the local hospital and make arrangements to get tested.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 7, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

unpacked robinhood posted:

People itt were saying you can catch the stuff multiple times

People have said a lot of things in this thread but it's way too early to have reliable data about many aspects of this specific virus.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Durzel posted:

Scary. So we’re basically quite possibly hosed for the next 12 months at least.

Hopefully they don’t rush a vaccine out so fast that they neglect to notice that it makes your leg fall off or something.

You might find these two articles regarding SARS vaccines which never went into commercial production interesting. SARS is a coronavirus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/sanofi_to_repurpose_sars_vaccine_candidate_for_coronavirus_1326473

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Griefor posted:

Privatized healthcare means we have just enough care for a somewhat bad flu season. Something like this hasn't happened (outside of Asia, which has learned much more from SARS/Ebola than us) in 100 years.

Hong Kong flu is the first pandemic I remember and that killed between one and four million people from 1968-1970. The US was hit especially hard.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The current level of hysteria among the general population here isn't sustainable, so I'm curious about how long it will actually last.

We're heading towards flu season here and it wouldn't surprise me if people have already stopped taking simple infection control measures by the time it arrives.

My major concerns are the way our government has decided to split the cost of dealing with covid-19 (50% state, 50% federal) and whether our supply chains for PPE and infection control products are sufficiently robust that we can adequately protect our healthcare workers for the duration.

Based on how many masks a day were being used by people entering my room when I was in neutropenic isolation a couple of weeks ago, 20 million masks (a figure quoted the other day as what we have stockpiled) won't go very far and that's not even considering the bulkier PPE which will be needed.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 7, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Honestly, it's not the dying that scares me, it's the possibility of being intubated that freaks me right the gently caress out regardless of whether I live or die.

I'd be interested in seeing a follow up to the story posted earlier in the thread which suggested that suction might have better outcomes than ventilation.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

amethystbliss posted:

Also in the same county. I'm a school nurse and the school districts here seem to be taking it very seriously based on county guidance.

How seriously are students taking the "wash your hands, don't touch your face" message? Whether or not people actually follow that advice will have a huge impact on how this plays out.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Jose posted:

Despite my illness and it maybe being coronavirus I've been treating it like a regular cold and just being out and about to shops etc

Thank you Typhoid Jose.

My kids are off to Europe for 6 weeks soon. I'll tell them to avoid Newcastle.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zil posted:

Mods flu

:golfclap:

dangle 4 days posted:

if the hospital didnt tell me "you were exposed and if anything goes tits up stay home" id probably be convinced it was just a cold and not care also

It probably is just some common bug, but it's preferable that you're not spreading those around, either.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why are we all fixating on beans rather than (say) canned tuna?

It's all quite bizarre. People are acting as though supply chains will be shut down for months when the reality is they'd be better off just stocking their freezer and cupboards with real food so they have plenty to eat if they get sick and can't go out for a couple of weeks (home delivery times are starting to blow out here so ordering online is less of an option if you need food in a couple of days).

If people are going to stockpile food they're probably not going to need, you'd think it would be food they actually want to eat.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

21st Cherry boy posted:

The pharmacy was completely out of disinfectant sprays and rubbing alcohol.

Just buy 5 percent bleach and make it up in a one part bleach to nine parts water solution. White vinegar is also your friend.

Use paper towels for wiping down hard surfaces and dispose of them properly.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

dangle 4 days posted:

hotline directed me to either find a GP (difficult, as it is sunday) or present to ER. how rapidly feverish ive gotten is non ideal

gotta work out the whole "getting to the hospital" thing i dont drive and my parents prob dont want to be in an enclosed space with me

Are you in an area which is covered by a home GP service after hours and on weekends?

To be honest, I can't see a GP doing anything other than telling you to go to the ER. They're not really able to say you don't have covid-19, so they should refer you to those who can.

Are you on benefits? In most Australian states ambulance transport is free if you are.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 8, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zil posted:

I would go the ambulance route, just be sure to let them know what you are calling in about so they can route you correctly. I mean this is kind what they are there for and I'm sure your local health office would prefer this over you potentially infecting people on the train.

Another vote for this option. The ambos will wear PPE and they'll also notify the hospital to be ready for a potential patient with confirmed exposure.

It's the best option from a public health perspective if you can't arrange your parents dropping you at the emergency entrance.

Make sure you emphasise that you have confirmed exposure and that you've been directed to attend (why the gently caress the health department hasn't worked out a better system for this than people being forced to organise it themselves is an interesting question).

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ABC posted:

Health authorities say a man in Hobart who contracted coronavirus did not follow instructions to self-isolate, instead working several shifts at a major hotel.

The man in his 20s travelled from Nepal and transited through Singapore, Sydney and then on to Hobart on February 26th, Tasmania's director of Public Health Services Mark Veitch said.

The man worked several shifts at Hobart's Grand Chancellor Hotel last week and Dr Veitch said Public Health was working with the hotel to identify whether any colleagues would qualify as "close contacts" and require isolation.

More to come.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-08/tas-man-infected-with-coronavirus-in-hobart-did-not-follow-isol/12037114

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

dangle 4 days posted:

Lol i think they're blaring sirens
..Chroist

This is probably the most exciting thing that's happened all shift.

You'll get seen quickly and you'll get a single room if you're admitted, so it's not all bad.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

dangle 4 days posted:

I got swabbed and let out into the world lol

Did they tell you to continue self-isolating until they have the swab results?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
My kids are already preparing for being told they need to self isolate when they come back from Europe at the end of April.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hemale in pain posted:

Aren't the masks supposed to be actually kinda useless in a public setting?

Yep. For most people masks are pointless and the best precautions they can take are washing their hands frequently and not touching their face.

Properly fitted masks worn by those who have symptoms of some type of respiratory infection could help reduce the spread, but only if they can be changed for new masks frequently and only in conjunction with other precautions.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was really pleased this morning to see a public health expert tweet "Don't touch your face (good luck with that)" in the list of things to do and not do. Like, if you aren't already trained, it's hard.

If people actually followed the "wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face" advice often enough that new habits were formed, it would reduce the transmission rates of other nasties, too. I can't remember which particular nasty it was, but Hong Kong saw a dramatic drop in the rate of normal flu cases during one of the "super flu" panics because people were taking precautions against the super flu.

It's pretty funny that we spend enormous amounts of money on antibacterial products in the West, but simple measures like proper hand washing and not touching your face aren't nearly as ingrained as they should be.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

owlhawk911 posted:

on the airplane to seattle, hearing lots of coughing and it's kinda spooky, none of the people coughing have masks but a couple scared-lookin nerds do. an old man in first class sneezed while i was walking past and everyone gave him the dirtiest look, the lady sitting next to him looked like she was about to cry

Airlines should probably be handing out masks to passengers, tbh. Not that they'd be much use on long haul flights where people are going to lift them to eat and drink.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Pump Jockey posted:

Corona-chan is really opening my eyes to the true nature of some of my friends/relatives, it’s really like the 2016 election all over again. I have lung disease and the number of my supposed friends who tell me to my face that they don’t care enough to take precautions to avoid spreading the virus is astonishing. My boss has a cruise booked for April, he keeps whining to me about how he’s still going to go anyway DAMMIT, no matter what the fallout is. :sigh:

Presumably you're at risk from anything respiratory, including the seasonal flu, meaning that coronavirus shouldn't be your only reason to be cautious about exposure to people who don't take infection control seriously.

While I don't think it's appropriate to expect people to cancel travel plans, I do think it's reasonable to refuse to be in physical proximity to those people for 14 days (at least) after they return.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

21st Cherry boy posted:

I'm gonna mail my gramma a bunch of my dwindling stash of individually wrapped alcohol wipes for when she does her grocery shopping :( they're lifelong smokers in their 70s so I'm assuming they're goners if they catch it.
My mom is a nurse so ya know not much I can do for her.

A one part 5% bleach to nine parts water solution is fine for disinfecting things, alcohol and other disinfectant wipes aren't really essential. Wiping stuff down also has limited value if you're not washing your hands frequently and you're touching your face.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shaocaholica posted:

Buying 1 or 2 masks for everyone in your household seems fine to me. Buying 100 masks for everyone is not.

If you're talking disposable masks, one or two would allow you to leave the house once or twice, so that would be fine if someone in the household is showing cold symptoms and absolutely needs to leave the house, but they're not really much use to people who need to travel on public transport daily or who are otherwise in close proximity to a large amount of people each day.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah only took 2 weeks!

The earliest reports were that people needed intensive care for 2-3 weeks while the virus ran its course. It's important that we're able to confirm or disprove that.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You don't call it by the name of the city where it first showed up, because the WHO decided in 2015 that it was a bad idea.

We have some enormous bat colonies here in Australia and I'm pretty sure that if some novel virus originated in them there'd be little pearl-clutching about it being referred to as Sydney flu or Darwin fever.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shaocaholica posted:

Why they get clogged up with viruses or something?

Pretty much. And then you're providing them with a warm, moist environment.

Ideally, if you wear a mask you dispose of it after a single use and wash both your hands and your face before touching anything else.

That said, when I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago they had me mask whenever I had to leave my isolation room because it wouldn't be practical to have everyone I might come within a few feet of mask.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Stefan Prodan posted:

apparently my wife's parents still want to go on the cruise they booked for the 4 of us (her mom is 78 and her dad is 74) and don't want to lose the money they spent on it lol

it's not til july so there's no point in arguing about it now it might just cancelled but i don't think there's any way we can responsibly let them go on that

My daughter's uni graduation is in late April and I am hoping the uni will reschedule it. I doubt it, though. They already changed the date once.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

QuarkJets posted:

I have a friend in Southern California whose daughter just got diagnosed with viral pneumonia. WHO recommends that all cases of bilateral pneumonia be tested for coronavirus, but she was not tested. Why? "The coronavirus doesn't kill children anyway"

Until it does.

Unless you want children to become the Typhoid Marys of this pandemic, it's important to try to get some idea of the infection rate among them and how easily they fight it off. People are often in much closer physical proximity with children than they are with other adults and don't think twice about kids being walking petri dishes.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Walrus posted:

either elected officials are getting this at a tremendously unlikely rate or this poo poo is actually already everywhere.

It's everywhere. There was no good reason to suspect it wasn't once we knew that infected people can have mild symptoms or even be totally asymptomatic.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

friendly 2 da void posted:

Nobody is getting tested in NYC.

A coworker's spouse tested positive. They sent everybody home. I now have all symptoms but I cannot get tested because I have not "recently been to Italy or China."

Today we got an email from work that they are not even going to test our coworker because they are not yet "showing symptoms." Even though we all know for a fact how easily this spreads and that if one spouse has it, the other is guaranteed to have it.

This feels less like incompetence and more like active coverup.

The not testing makes sense in many ways, but they're doing a shocking job of explaining the rationale behind it.

Because there's no specific treatment for covid-19, supportive care is given based on symptoms. A test result is not going to change the care offered.

Likewise, if you're requiring all people with certain symptoms to self-isolate and seek medical care if their symptoms become severe, a test doesn't change anything significant. What is a spouse going to do differently if they know for certain that their partner has covid-19? They should already be doing those things if their partner has reason to self-isolate.

I would like to see more testing so we can get a better idea of the true rate of infection in the community and the actual risk of severe complications, but it's not going to change anything at the patient management level.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 11, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

naem posted:

BEANS and rice, complete set of amino acids people

We're talking about people possibly having to self-isolate for a couple of weeks, not the apocalypse.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fox Cunning posted:

STFU about math I’ve never been as bored by pandemonia as I am right now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Ginette Reno posted:

Good lord that's nearly half the country.

That's better than most estimates. Most countries seem to expect between 60 and 80% of their population to contract the virus over the next year.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

coolusername posted:

Inside gossip: bunch of Sydney hospitals are putting elective surgeries on hold and prepping for a big influx of acute cases. Lots of talk about how everything is about to be hosed.

The hospital where I receive chemo has cancelled in person follow up appointments and is now conducting them by phone. They're also sending patients to external imaging providers where possible. The registrar made it very clear that they want immunocompromised patients at the hospital as little as possible at the moment.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Gianthogweed posted:

More testing, and it's a pretty big country with a lot of people compared to European Countries.

The numbers I saw the other day had the US rate of testing at 22 per 100,000. By contrast, the UK rate was 117 per 100,000 and the Australian rate was 558 per 100,00.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nurge posted:

No, because like I said the protection is the exact same as get this, not coughing on things without covering your mouth.

I can't control whether or not someone else covers their mouth when coughing. I can reduce my risk to an equivalent extent by wearing a mask, though. Ideally, I wouldn't be close enough to anyone for either to matter but some things still require proximity to others.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

QuarkJets posted:

There's a new chain letter making the rounds on social media that says you should avoid cold foods/drinks, drink warm beverages, and gargle with salt water to fight coronavirus. This kind of poo poo is going to get a bunch of people killed when they believe they're impervious because they drink a cup of coffee each morning

It also says that sunlight eliminates the virus. No qualifiers, so a bunch of idiots are going to read that as meaning that you can cure coronavirus by getting a tan and that if you see a surface in sunlight then it's already clean

Authorities need the power to prosecute people for spreading this kind of bullshit during pandemics, even if it's not being spread for financial gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ViewingLaudience posted:

no politics in gbs

I think that battle was lost on the first page of the thread.