Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Earth can have a little pandemic, for a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gh0stpinballa posted:

i already made this post about 30 pages back. now you owe me 5000 dollars.

But I only have $80, and I need it for weed :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

U-DO Burger posted:

please spend it on some good quality poo poo

My guy only gave me lovely weed once, and it wasn't that bad, just dry compared to the normal stuff.

The last batch I got was a strain called "Gorilla Glue" because goddamn does it stick with you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doccykins posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08e1332473c08b

Lady makes it to Germany for a workshop and only presents symptoms on the way back, good luck everyone

:woop:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bip Roberts posted:

old people die all the dang time

Not fast enough

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've got one of these sweet looking things in a closet somewhere for all of my not getting poo poo in my mucus membrane needs:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:yeshaha: Poop aerosol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ma i married a tuna posted:

Surely this will stop the virus, instead of creating the situation that people deny they are sick instead of risking prosecution.

I was listening to an BBC interview the other day and the expert was like "yeah, quarantines are dumb because it just drives people to escape."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

silentsnack posted:

Ya remember how the current president of the US spends more time doing rallies to buff his ego than doing any kind of actual work?

it's gonna be lmaooo when all it takes to start a stampede is one dude coughing, after trebup says the magic words "antifa superspreader"

:yeshaha:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeah:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

What if Trump gets it tho

Pence gets to fulfill his lifelong dream of being president!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mozi posted:

i would bet 20 bucks that there is already at least one infected person in a majority of major cities around the world

Who will be the first goon?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dolphin posted:

I have it. It's awesome lol

:nice:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yeah, but what's the Madagascar situation?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pancake rabbit posted:

no blue check but links to a real article

https://twitter.com/DogeVenice/status/1230945361558167552

ronpaulitshappening.gif

:yeshaha:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Limerick posted:

This has been going on for a month and I'm still not sure what the gently caress is happening.

:lol: nobody does, it rules!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
On the bright side, as the boomers die, there'll be plenty of job openings!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tei posted:

The strange thing is that I am not scared at all. Not for me, I am scared for my dad and mom, that are very old. But not for me.

I'm not scared for anyone. I mean it would be sad if my parents bought it, but they never do anything but watch TV all day, so the likelyhood is slim. Even if I bought it, it's a ticket off of this hellworld.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stephenthinkpad posted:

But what if you spread to your folks and only you make it thru?

I'd have to drive 8 hours to give it to them, that's a lot of effort

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chuka Umana posted:

https://nusmedicine.nus.edu.sg/medias/news-info/2230-hot-and-humid-weather-may-end-the-novel-coronavirus

This study argues that the spread will subside with the arrival of hot and humid weather. Regardless, we still have two to three months before that arrives.

I'm hoping that despite it being the hottest winter on record again, that we'll have an unseasonably cold spring and summer :unsmigghh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vishass posted:

*thread laughs smugly as it catches the flu and covid at the same time*

Now you're thinking, Coronafluenza!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah china can actually do a lockdown. would the US government be able to tell businesses to not fire their employees for not showing up for two weeks as a precautionary measure? to tell landlords to not collect rent until further notice? to arrange for free door-to-door food delivery?

:lol: if your answer to those questions isn't "no"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Polo-Rican posted:

worth nothing that swine flu was 2009. america in 2020 is such a fuckin weird place, where we face insane horrors every day and just tweet "lol" about them, that i have no idea what to expect

I feel like in 2009, thinks weren't as hosed so we could muster more than a lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nonsense posted:

Start summarily executing people who eat anything other than beef, chicken, pork, veggies

sorry libs

What about french fries? :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ShutteredIn posted:

we're so hosed lmao

:woop:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

silentsnack posted:

If you're broke+uninsured and have a ludicrous ER bill it's probably a good idea to go to the hospital's billing department ASAP and try talking to something that looks relatively human; explain that you are unable to pay and if they do send collectors or sue you, all that will happen is you're forced to declare bankruptcy... which is a situation where everyone loses.

Since for-profit businesses generally prefer getting $something vs getting $0 and generating bad PR, there's a chance they'll be willing to look for an alternative. And if they say "lolno gently caress you" you're no worse off than you were before.

One weird trick about debt is that, they usually have a point where it's not profitable to really pursue it. The cutoff point 10 years ago when I was dealing with it was around $5,000.

Instead what they do is sell it off with a bunch of other debt to a collection agency who pays them less for it, something like $0.25 on the dollar, after a while they sell it off for less, and so on and so forth until it's pennies. You used to be able to work out deals on these groups because some money is better than no money.

Over $5,000 and they would sue you. Do not ignore any of these notices, just show up and stall stall stall every time. If you do fail to show up, you get a judgement against you automatically.

When I did get a judgement, they were really incompetent about attempting to garnish my wages. They attempted to garnish them at a place I never worked, twice, before eventually finding my part-time retail job, where I made too little for them to garnish.

If you do a good enough job avoiding all of this for 7 years, it pretty much goes away.

That said, I don't actually recommend doing it unless you really good reason, like being un/underemployed. It's stressful as gently caress, your phone gets inundated with debt collectors calling you at all legal hours (8am to 9pm). They call your immediate family, at 10 am on Christmas Eve. They send you tons of threatening letters, and eventually you'll have a sheriff show up at your door and hand you the legal paperwork saying you have 10 days to show up in court.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Russian troll farm posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, can I straight up just party my way through the pandemic? Smokable smokes, pissable pilsner. drink it and convert it to piss. then there's liquor, and speed... I'm fuckin invincible, baby

:same:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CottonWolf posted:

We should oppose all who attempt to hurt corona-chan on principle anyway.

Notice me sempai corona-chan

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feldegast42 posted:

We really need to get a goon approved list of poo poo you need to stock up on

Hentai

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pigz posted:

The real kind of things you should be doing is talking with your family to reduce your risk profile. Identify who and what activities are likely to bring you in contact with lots of people and discuss how you might be able to reduce contact during those events. This is simple things like sitting a little further from people, or skipping gymnastics this week. Make sure everyone in the house is washing their hands regulrly for at least 20 seconds (you can since the alphabet and this is close enough).

As a goon, I go to work, buy weed, and go home, so I don't have to worry about getting sick :smuggo:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm actually quite shocked that there aren't more US infections so far, I'd think there would be at least 3X as many

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

The neighbors across the street from me seem to have a giant second freezer on their balcony and sometimes I see them pulling food out of there, does anyone have any handy tips about grappling hooks?

Just kick in their door and take their food

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chuka Umana posted:

Why are people in this thread so excited about people dying? Overpopulation is a neoliberal and white supremacist myth

It mostly kills people 55+, so it's the boomer death virus

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MorrisBae posted:

When I tried explaining quarantines to my family yesterday, they just said "WE WILL USE UBER EATS THEN" and I tried to explain that all the Uber Eats workers would be quarantined as well and they walked away

Just :lol: if you think the US can pull off a quarantine

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Limerick posted:

Yeah but if all of the grocery staff cashiers are dead then you're still hosed when you try to get food.

Only if they're olds, otherwise they're busy infecting the olds :unsmigghh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's Ash Wednesday my dudes.

This also means Fish Fry Fridays from here until Easter :unsmigghh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

Okay Boomer. Yelp and reviews on Google exist.

I'll admit that I ate at McD's a couple times when I was travelling internationally. But this was also before Yelp and smart phones, and I was just walking down the street and needed to poo poo really badly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rosalind posted:

There's been a lot of scary talk of coronavirus this week--much of it in this thread! I'm an epidemiologist so I wrote up a brief no-fearmongering guide to coronavirus for everyone. I will try to keep it updated as new information/news comes out. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I should add!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Qr3rDNIInT9QRmN2GKyo_EY2r3psBshsdL7J8po_i4/edit?usp=sharing

:lol: nerd

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dog Toothbrush posted:

It's two percent fatality if your healthcare is free and your government is willing to build new hospitals overnight at their expense

I guess what I'm trying to say is, buckle up America

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Internet and utilities kept working in wuhan, and the point of a crisis response will be to stop the fast spread of the illness so critical jobs can keep functioning with less risk of disruption. even our stupid country will eventually start responding. once its a major deal, enough workplaces will be shut down just from absenteeism that even the sadist managers will throw up their hands and stay home. on top of that the govt has a vested interest in maintaining those functions to help keep everyone in their homes not spreading the disease, so even trumps idiots will dust off the CDC response guides and implement them, and provide support to those functions

Also a poo poo ton of that stuff is automated and they can function with a skeleton crew if the only goal is maintaining service.

This may be true, but the US already operates everything on a skeleton crew. The bigger issue would be having other things happen on top of the plague disruptions. A knocked over powerline is going to take longer to fix with even less of a crew than we have now, let alone if there's even a small scale disaster, such as some tornadoes.