Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Horatius Bonar posted:

The other way around it is to date a blonde California girl who speaks perfect Chinese with a fancy accent, because the look on people's faces then absolutely never gets old.

When I worked ESL, I had coworkers like that. A Scottish lady and a platinum blond lady from Alabama who were HSK6. It was funny seeing taxi drivers realize they couldn't scam them as they knew what they were saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Reheated rice is disgusting.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

oohhboy posted:

I will be openly making GBS threads on every American I meet if Trump wins. I think this is last chance for America, you guys have taken so much damage. Biden isn't first choice but for the love of god please vote and not just nationally. We need America to get it's poo poo back together.

Any other country he will either be kicked out of office or hanging from a lamppost. Even Boris is eating poo poo.

:wow: That epic pause from Trudeau says it all.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-52900486/george-floyd-protests-trudeau-s-epic-pause-when-asked-about-trump-s-response

Haha, like there will be elections in the US after all is said and done.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Atopian posted:

It's not one specific incident. Just, every so often chengguan go too far and either beat someone too important/sympathetic to the community, or actually kill / permanently cripple a victim.

At which point they frequently never leave that community area, and no-one talks much about it any more. Although obviously videos circulate.

Honestly, the US could learn a lot from that. If US police were aware that going too far could lead to them being beaten to death and their bodies never being found, maybe the current situation wouldn't exist.

Well, US police have guns and the Blue line for protection. They will also retaliate against any and all threats against them and their group. Shame how all those BLM people killed themselves by shooting themselves in the back of the head and then setting their own cars on fire.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, prostitution is pretty rampant in China. Brothels running out of KTVs, phone cards for working girls slid under hotel doors, you can get sex for pay if you're looking for it in China.

When I worked in the ESL mines in Fuzhou a couple of years ago, there were several brothels near my school, including one on the first floor of my apartment building. You could tell because the interior of it was this neon lit monstrosity and the girls were sitting around in scantily clad clothing burning time on their phones, waiting for customers. There was a Muslim restaurant right across the street from my place, so it made for good people watching.

I used to know a sexpat colleague who would search through WeChats's people nearby function for girls. Apparently, if a girls moments gallery has a QR code and little else, she's a prostitute.

Shadow0 posted:

What's China's stance on homosexuality? I might have a partial solution.

Being gay used to be declared a mental illness until 2001. However, Weibo banned LGBT topics in 2018 and the powers that be will censor any LGBT content from Movies and TV.

When it comes to dating, there is Blued, which is Chinese Grindr. There are also barhhouses and Gay Bars in the Tier 1s.According to my gay co-worker at the time, being gay in China is like being gay in the UK in the 1970's, except you have a smartphone. It's looked down upon, but there are plenty of married dudes who want some dick on the side.

He also told me that there is a CD/Trans scene in China, but they're all on Twitter.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 12, 2020

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Flannelette posted:

I feel like either I or your friend don't know what that's like because I was led to believe in the 1970s UK gay men were constantly worried about being beaten or murdered even by the police or is that what you meant for how it is in China?

I think it's more about being discrete about it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

They did impeach...? McConnell just wouldn't remove. Trump will (hopefully) be gone this fall but McConnell will ruin multiple generations of American democracy.

I can't wait for all the people who were too pure to vote Biden but whine about whatever Trump does the night of his second inauguration (or however long it takes to convince him he won't get a third term).

The US is the right combination of apathetic and viciously stupid enough to vote in Trump again. The second option is Biden wins and Trump simply doesn't leave office,with the Dems being useless about it.

This is, of course, with the assumption that elections will be held in November.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Edit: double post. Sorry.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 18, 2020

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

It all turned to poo poo since that.

Whatever happend to Haier? He got banned, but I heard he re-registered under a new name in the previous China thread.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Luckin Coffee has filed for Bankruptcy.

I get that they did a lot of fraud, but their coffee wasn't great. It was somehow worse that Starbucks.

How do you mess up coffee worse than Starbucks?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

McGavin posted:

They also changed the name from Darkie to Darlie.

When I was in Carrefour in Fuzhou about a year ago, I saw a special edition of Darlie toothpaste with the logo guy blinged out like loving Lil Jon, with a big rear end gold chain and everything. I'll try to find it next time I go shopping.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

China’s court rejected case of seeking to correct Chinese textbook describing homosexuality as ‘mental disorder’

The Global Times posted:

China's first lawsuit concerning a college textbook that described homosexuality as a mental disorder has came to an end after the Suyu District Court of Suqian City in East China rejected the plaintiff's appeal and upheld its original judgment that the description in the textbook "does not constitute an intellectual error."

The lawsuit was filed in 2017 by Xixi (pseudonym), a 24-year-old young woman who at the time was studying at a university in South China's Guangdong Province. She told the Global Times on Thursday that the case started one year ago before a textbook for a class she was taking at the university and that the teacher of the class was one of the book's editors. 

Chinese News site The Paper reported on Thursday that the textbook Mental Health Education for College Students describes homosexuality as a kind of "psychosexual disorder" with the explanation that it is "a sexual disorder or an inversion of a sexual object."

Xixi said she felt the content was wrong since it was published in 2013 and the official classification and diagnostic criteria of mental disorders in China published in April 2001 had removed homosexuality from the list of mental disorders.

Xixi said that she tried to talk with the editors and Jianan University Press, the publisher of the textbook, but she did not get a satisfactory response. "So I decided to sue the publisher as they could not evade the problem and would have to talk to me in court," Xixi said.

In 2017, Xixi filed a lawsuit against the publisher asking it to issue a public apology, and retrieve, correct, and reprint the textbooks involved in the case. 

However, it was only until June 28, 2020 that the case was heard by the court, which rejected the lawsuit on the grounds that the evidence provided by Xixi was not relevant to the case. According to the court's judgment, the plaintiff's claim and the relevant expressions in the books involved in the case were a matter of cognitive differences between the two parties and not an "intellectual error" in editing or a textual error. 

Xixi filed an appeal soon after. On Monday, Xixi and her lawyer Ge Ang received a second judgment from the courts saying that it rejected the appeal and was upholding the original judgment. 

They just got written judgment from the court at the second instance. Ge considered that the court did not give enough evidences and reasons of the judgment.

"I think one possible reason that the court did not judge in curia is they saw the social impact of the case at the first instance."

Guo Xiaofei, a teacher at the China University of Political Science and Law who specializes in the study of gay rights, told the Global Times that the court should have said that the content in the textbook does not constitute a "textual error" instead of using the confusing expression "intellectual error," because the content expressed in textbook is a factual error.

"The description in the text originated from a construction of psychiatry and psychology in the West. However, Western countries today have already corrected some of these mistakes, while the editors of the textbooks did not update these changes," Guo criticized. 

However, Guo noted that "the court may not have the right to judge whether the academic viewpoint itself is right or wrong. And in my opinion, professional errors in teaching materials should be corrected by professional associations or professional criticism among scholars." 

Although she lost the lawsuit, Xixi said that it allowed her to see how Chinese society's perception of the LGBT community has developed. She said she believes the public has a better understanding of the community and "we didn't need to explain to most netizens why LGBT is not a mental issue, which demonstrates that they know this."

Remember when Taiwan legalized Same Sex Marriage?

This remends me of my gay coworkers back when I used to work in the ESL mines where they would use Blued (Chinese Grindr). Apparently, there are a LOT of married dudes looking for dick on the low.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Is this where the whole "Hot Water fixes everything" thing comes from?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Quick update-

After being told we could opt in for the vaccine (which is weirdly being done through your workplace here in Shanghai, so IDK what retirees/family members/people without jobs do) we found out today the current pool is Chinese citizens only. Heard the same thing from some other people around town.

It seems only teachers, and any medical staff presumably, are the only foreigners who can get vaccinated atm. I do know a handful of foreign teachers who already got Sinovac or Sinopharm's vaccine or are getting it soon.

I'm in Beijing and I haven't heard any word of foreigners, teachers or not, getting any kind of vaccine. Those teachers must have taught at elite schools or have a clientele base of connected people.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Apart from K-Pop stans, is there anyone else apart from the CCP that sends an army of targeted weaponized internet trolls after people who say mean things about them?

Well, anyone sane?

Beyonce fans.

Maybe the 5 true believers in Kamala Harris.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

So Xi is Dagoth Ur?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Apparently, a bunch of LGBT college weibo accounts and Wechat groups just got ghosted immediately all over the country.

Remember when it was pride month a week ago?

Remember how the Chinese government classified homosexuality as a mental illness until, like, 2005?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing China with Iran? I know Iran does some limited support post-gender reassignment surgery since the 90s and requires hoops to be jumped through for MTF reassignment surgery but i haven't heard of this in China

It's a thing. I've met trans people out here.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

McGavin posted:

While I'm sure there are gaokao cram schools that are caught up in this crackdown, one of the schools mentioned in the article, China Maple Leaf Educational Systems, is the opposite. They teach British Columbia's educational curriculum, so the students get BC high school diplomas, which they can use to get into western universities.

My uncle is a principal at one of their schools, and he has so many stories about dealing with irate parents upset that their child isn't being forced to study 20 hours a day. His line is basically "We teach to Canadian standards. The students are in class from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. If you don't like it, there's the door. Have fun with the gaokao."

I'm sure you can see why China would want to crack down on institutions like this.

It's fun working for a company out here with a foreign management style. At least they have backbone and don't believe in" Laowai Magic ".

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

SerCypher posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/world/asia/korea-china-election-young-voters.html

Given how much Korea hates Japan, this is quite the accomplishment on China's part.

Don't most countries in Asia hate each other anyway?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

It seems like Xi and Co are rearranging chairs in the face of the demographic bomb. Too bad it's still too expensive to have kids anywhere, really.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Orc Priest posted:

Yeah. Reminds me of that black basketball player who posted a pic of a Chinese woman giving him a lap dance and then he was promptly banned for life from the CBA and all of his social media got flooded with racist poo poo from angry Chinese who felt threatened by a black man "taking" one of "their" women. The ban on feminine men is not that surprising given how deep the fragile masculinity runs.

The myth of pasty, gangly white guys being ladykillers in China is a bit of an exaggeration, but there is some truth in it, especially if you know a bit of Chinese. I've known colleagues that get a girlfriend within a week of arriving in China.

These dudes will also be shouted at by Chinese dudes for stealing their women.

E: this whole pushback on LGBT folks by the CPC has people running scared. There are groups that had to relabel themselves, "Friends of Dorothy" style. Chinese LGBT folk are mentioning that universities are collecting lists of LGBT folks. Interesting times.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ailumao posted:

this was actually one of the reasonable claims of why china just annihilated all training schools and after school classes for kids. theyre also supposedly cutting back on homework. i got no idea what will actually happen here or how long it'll hold or any other various side effects and other things that may happen.

of course 2 weeks ago they also made it so kids can only play video games 3 specific hours a week so idk what they want kids to do with all the free time?? maybe sports or smth idk.

I'm working at one of those bullshit private schools and the new regulations are affecting how I teach the failsons and faildaughters of China.

We can give homework, but it somehow has to add up to one hour, tops. Oh, and no grades below second get homework.

Atopian posted:

It seems pretty clear that many people in charge of educational policy in China are aware that the standard approach hasn't been helping, and that the current "race to get better results on bullshit standardised tests" isn't working.
But it seems equally clear that they can't or won't fix the problem themselves, instead just trying to shuffle pressures around so that others fix their problem for them.

That is the essence of Chinese Management. It's always someone else's problem.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If you wanna get kids to gently caress, making sure they aren't just stuck inside playing games or doing homework but instead spend time hanging out in person (possibly with alchohol) is one way to do it.

Does sound like they are squashing the negative aspects without giving guidelines on positive replacements though, so they'll probably just spend their time on streams or social media instead.

I know a few Chinese folks who don't have a partner because, "they don't have the time."

Is Hihikimori a thing in China as it is in Japan?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know how trivial it is, but they obviously can do it since like you say, magically your internet access stops working around June 4th every year.

Definitely a big reason they don't block all VPNs is that any company in China that does international business requires VPN access to, you know, be able to do anything online. Completely shutting down VPNs would rock the economy. That plus the fact that the majority of the population supports the Party and aren't interested in using a VPN to learn about reality means the best option is to look the other way. The economic harm is vastly greater than some discontents who already don't buy into the Party's message being able to access Twitter. Also you'd be stopping all your wumaos from being able to flood social media with bullshit.

Plus every once in a while when they throw someone in prison forever for selling VPNs, it reinforces the message.

Express and Astrill are the most popular VPNs in China, unless you know how to use Shadowstocks. It seems like they release a new weekly update nowadays.

They didn't go down on the 4th, but when the two sessions meeting happened, all VPNs took a poo poo, especially if you live here in Beijing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Yeah I'd be shocked if a lot of them aren't honey pots for various intelligence organizations.

Yeah, most of them are. Express is actually based in Hong Kong.

A lot of the "Free" VPNs collect your data. Then again, what tech doesn't nowadays?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I was at a pizza buffet the other day, and they were doing that thing that's super common in China where they have fake books all over the place as decoration. This was the book above my table

Just thought it was kinda funny. Obviously they don't pay any attention to what the covers for the fake books actually are, they're never Chinese books. Figured there were only three possibilities for how it ended up there. Either it's a huge coincidence, and what are the odds of that? Or, secret falun gong dude at the fake book factory if they're made in China. Or, they're not made in China but guy at fake book factory knew they were getting sold to China and thought this would be funny.

Yeah, a lot of places don't really give a poo poo on what Western media they display. I was in a coffee shop in Fuzhou last year that played hardcore, uncensored gangster rap to a chill vibe.

therobit posted:

What abominations are served at pizza joints in China? In Japan I was subjected to corn Mayo pizza and Bonita flake and mushroom pizza.

Oreo pizzas with mozzarella cheese still on them. Disgusting.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

It's amazing how much Asia loves looking good instead of actually doing the thing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I'm Méxican, so I get asked if I'm Indian or I'm invisible. Being brown is weird, because you don't get that much attention as black or brown people.

It's great when I want to be left alone.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

McGavin posted:

More like they removed the black lady.

And added the Chinese dude.

I'm surprised this movie is playing in China. He's a traitor, but he has a reason.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

China likes to pull off bullshit with its days off. You can have those nine days for national week. Just know that you will make up some of those days by working on Saturday or Sunday. It's annoying.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Come to Thailand and teach. It's a sweet gig if you find your niche at a school.

I have been thinking of leaving China for Thailand. I should have my teaching credential in hand by the end of the year. I do have some concerns tho: the pay, applying outside of China and I hear that Thailand pass is a bit of a shitshow. Still, the search continues.

Cuz I don't want to work at this school, at least.

the panacea posted:

A guy I know from Uni teaches in the UAE. He makes bank because there's nothing there in terms of entertainment. He's actually employed by the government so he doesn't have to worry about anyone stealing is paycheck.

Downsides: don't be gay, no hooking up, no alcohol, no walking or biking outside because it's too hot (not that there would be anything worth exploring anyways).

UAE is good if you don't mind teaching rich failsons who know they won't fail. If you need to work on something with absolutely no distractions, you go there.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

CourtFundedPoster posted:

Hey, long time reader, first time poster.

Since the topic of teaching has come up, is there still a viable pathway for someone coming out of college with just a Bachelor's Degree and maybe a CELTA to land a semi-decent job in China?

I've always wanted to teach English overseas, and as has been mentioned in this thread China seems to offer the best opportunity, but a lot the news coming out about new regulations cracking down on private teaching institutions makes me worry about the long-term prospects of such a choice. Also, is it still possible to land cushier University jobs in rural provinces that don't pay so well, but give you a lot of free time?

I remember there being a dedicated TEFL thread back in the day, but I never got a chance to read it before it disappeared.

Right now, teaching TEFL in China is a tall order. The new regulations have essentially gutted ESL teaching in China. Even K - 12 schools are effected. We can only give a limited amount of homework and we cannot have physical copies of textbooks.

Not to mention that getting into China is a pain in the rear end nowadays. Flights are expensive and some cities are up to 28 days quarantine.

If you go on r/TEFL, you'll see inquiries about other countries, or just about teaching online.

The China TEFL goldrush ended long ago.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

The Alchemist posted:

Oh you are gonna absolutely love Thailand

Yeah, I know teaching abroad is mostly a scam. I'm teaching 富二代 right now.

One of them got past the firewall on my computer to look at porn.

It has no VPN. It would be impressive if this kid weren't nine years old!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

yaffle posted:

Honestly if you can get to China right now you can get a job teaching, in an international school at least. All the people who stayed through the lockdowns etc are leaving because they want to see granny and travel. So everyone at the lower tier schools is stepping up a rank because they are a warm body and most schools are only hiring people who are already in China.

If you're already in China, and you have experience, qualifications, and are keen to stay for a bit longer, you are the belle of the ball out here.

I've been job hunting recently and my linkedin has blown up with recruiters offering me contracts that day! Schools are starving out here

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ironic racism is still racism. It's why nowadays 4chan is essentially Stormfront 2.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Blistex posted:

It's pretty easy for even an old, fat goober to go to Korea and walk away with a +35 wife (if you know where to look), as there are a lot of women in Korea who...

-do not want to marry into a Korean family that contains a mother in law.
-waited too long to marry
-put their career first, waited too long to marry, and then hit the glass ceiling waaaay lower that they assumed.
-are not considered attractive in Korea and have not "corrected" it with surgery.
-do not want to be in Korea because they are female and it really really sucks to be a woman in Korea for some.

Putting up with an old/ugly guy that you occasionally have to have sex with is sometimes a small price to pay.

A 45 yr old assistant manager of foreigner wrangling at a school I taught at (who was very attractive, and could probably get a Korean husband in an afternoon) tried to seduce and convince my 26 year old coworker from Nova Scotia to run away with her to Italy* because she didn't want to be in Korea any more and to basically abandon her parents, who had moved in with her.

*She spoke fluent Italian and had worked for a Korean company there.

A lot of those reasons sound really similar to the situation in China.

The cliché of white dweeb becoming a lady killer out here is not that far off.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ailumao posted:

thinkin back to like december 2019 when the shanghai city gov said theyd be more lenient on street vendors in 2020......

never happened for some reason!!

I miss Fuzhou for this exact reason. Nothing like stepping out of a bar, drunk as hell, only to wander down old street to buy some Dumplings or egg noodles at 4am. Good times.

Now, I live in Beijing, where the powers that be have ensured that the city is as sterile as possible. No street food, but Tons of overpriced hot pot places.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, China becoming more organized and the new policies overhauling the entire for profit ESL industry in China have made expat lifers out here rethink their long - term prospects in China.

My old ESL job just switched to an entirely Chinese curriculum, full of extracurriculars. The bilingual school I work at currently, like many others like it out here, is scrambling desperately to hire from the shrinking pool of foreign teachers left.

I'm looking to getting out in July. Southeast Asia seems to be the move. I should have my physical teaching credential by then, so I've been job hunting like a demon right now.

Worst case scenario, I move back home and get some experience before I try out for the IS circuit again, sans China of course.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Good luck. Bangkok is wonderful if you're thinking about Southeast Asia. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks. I've been hitting up Schrole and TES like mad for months. Apparently, with COVID and the China Exodus, this is turning into a weird hiring season for teaching abroad. On the International Teaching subreddit, there are a few stories of experienced teachers with Masters degrees getting radio silence when they would normally get hounded by recruiters from all over.

It also doesn't help that the slow gears of bureaucracy take 6 to 8 weeks to give me a PDF of my own teaching credential. Not only that, but lots of schools, like Thailand for one, are hesitant to hire outside of their respective countries.

Still, leaving China would be for the best. No choice but to try, right?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, those are all over the ritzy malls in China. You have to log in using WeChat and then you get like maybe five sheets, tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It's endlessly hilarious when leftists are licking China's boots. I have never been anywhere more powerfully libertarian capitalist than China. The US looks like Denmark in comparison. It's incredible.

If capitalism were the one ring, China would be Isildur. Not gonna give it up.

my homie dhall posted:

hey, can I borrow your phone charger? I'm gonna need to take a poo poo later

There's a reason why power bank stations exist all over the cities. Pay a 100 yuan deposit and you get your charger.