Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It looks much less lewd when they do it in Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you have enough money anything is possible, especially in China, unless you have too too much, then you get targeted

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jippa posted:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about how china only has one time zone? How does this even work?

Well instead of having multiple timezones it has one, glad I could help

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, guns are an obvious one. A modern pistol isn't vastly different than a M1911.

Wonder if there's still anybody flying WW2 era aircraft (to fight, not as trainers).

E: Looks like the oldest operating fighter is the Shenyang J-5, which is a 1956 copy of the MiG-17.

Maybe as transport craft, the c130's still going strong nearly seven decades old.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The logo looks like one of those Ai generated images that resemble a real object but are totally indescribable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Will we see the Communist party's rule collapse in our lifetime?

I believe I'll outlive the CCP, but I'm sure plenty think they'll be around.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The FBI finding no evidence proves the FBI is in bed with the Muslim brotherhood to discredit china.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think you'll find it's moving towards communism. Creating a ultra wealthy oligarchy is one of the foundational steps of any classless society

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress watches Cricket?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine if the CIA was half as competent as they think and didn't blow millions on poo poo like acoustic kitty

And dosing homeless people with LSD for shits and giggles

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't it strange their view of capitalists is the same as the Nazi's view of the "Untermenschen"? Probably not relevant

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rime posted:

But instead they've largely just decided that people dying to keep tourism industries afloat is cool and good, which is :laffo:.
I think you'll find my plan for economic growth based on the hit movie "Jaws" is very reasonable actually

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not since Imperial Germany have we seen such a nation of diplomatic skill

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

https://twitter.com/MartijnRasser/status/1383769537829502979

Any Dutch people here better check what phone company they're using.

tl;dr Dutch phone company got completely penetrated by Huawei and did nothing despite Dutch intelligence making them aware.

What exactly is China's endgame in hacking a bunch of phones halfway around the world, and in the process making everyone scrutinize them?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Really though I think they’re aiming more for the fact they can than anything else, if you have back doors everywhere then it gives you more avenues if you want to compromise any given specific person.

Getting a backdoor discovered is a huge risk though, you'd think they'd be focusing on people who can actually hurt them and not y'know the dutch.

Rime posted:

To send a message.
Chinese intelligence frantically jerking to nudes a dutch girl sent her BF

"It's about sending....a Message"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Serious question:

But how often would they be used? What sort of non party member person would use this app to snitch on their neighbour? Are there incentives to snitch?

People report posts on these here forums simply because they dislike what the other person is saying. Society works the same way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The chinese weightlifting team is great and lu is an icon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why the gently caress does an Embassy need a twitter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People can't possibly still be falling for Wendy's twitter bullshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

“‘Lifting a rock only to drop it on one’s own feet,’ Mao once said,” Richardson said.“Xi Jinping has mostly himself to blame for this outcome.”

To think a countries failings could be so succinctly described

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

what if it's a battlebot, like one with a circular saw, and it goes after the nasa mars rover

Everyone knows the Flipper bots dominate

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Will it get memory holed if it takes a tumble?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress you I wanna live on mars

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

don't care went to space

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remember when USA challenged Japan to a robot duel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

And japan accepted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8mheM2Hrg

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If the cold war dickwaved a cure for cancer or AIDS I don't think anyone would give a poo poo. Space is cool, living on mars is cool, getting off the earth is cool. I'm sorry you can't take joy in the collective accomplishments of humanity because your thinking is poisoned in such a way as to make everything a contest between state entities.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never watched, I knew my imaginative version of events was more interesting than whatever they actually did

bob dobbs is dead posted:

see if china daily sees it as a collective accomplishment of all humanity

the actual rocket peeps will, but nobody listens to them

Why the gently caress would I give a gently caress what China Daily thinks?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to file a report with OSHA. For just, the entire country of China

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They did though. Billions got pumped into Iraq. A bunch of terrible policies, corruption, and general incompetence meant that it didn't have any real positive effect. There's a book on it but I'm away from the computer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Atopian posted:

How much do you enjoy famine and climate change?

If climate change is real how come winter exists?!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

7.9.1] "Macedonians, my speech will not be aimed at stopping your urge to return home; as far as I am concerned you may go where you like. But I want you to realize on departing what I have done for you, and what you have done for me.

[7.9.2] Let me begin, as is right, with my father Philip. He found you wandering about without resources, many of you clothed in sheepskins and pasturing small flocks in the mountains, defending them with difficulty against the Illyrians, Triballians and neighboring Thracians. He gave you cloaks to wear instead of sheepskins, brought you down from the mountains to the plains, and made you a match in war for the neighboring barbarians, owing your safety to your own bravery and no longer to reliance on your mountain strongholds. He made you city dwellers and civilized you with good laws and customs.

[7.9.3] Those barbarians who used to harrass you and plunder your property, he made you their leaders instead of their slaves and subjects. He annexed much of Thrace to Macedonia, seized the most favorable coastal towns and opened up the country to commerce, and enabled you to exploit your mines undisturbed.

[7.9.4] He made you governors of the Thessalians, before whom you used to die of fright, humbled the Phocians and so opened a broad and easy path into Greece in place of a narrow and difficult one. The Athenians and Thebans, who were permanently poised to attack Macedonia, he so humbled (and I was now helping him in this tasknote) that instead of you paying tribute to the Athenians and being under the sway of the Thebans, they now in turn had to seek their safety from us.

[7.9.5] He marched into the Peloponnese and settled matters there too. He was appointed commander-in-chief of all Greece for the campaign against the Persians, but preferred to assign the credit to all the Macedonians rather than just to himself.note
[7.9.6] Such were the achievements of my father on your behalf; as you can see for yourselves, they are great, and yet small in comparison with my own. I inherited from my father a few gold and silver cups, and less than 60 talents in the treasury; Philip had debts amounting to 500 talents, and I raised a loan of a further 800. I started from a country that could barely sustain you and immediately opened up the Hellespont for you, although the Persians then held the mastery of the sea.

[7.9.7] I defeated in a cavalry engagement the satraps of Dariusnote and annexed to your rule the whole of Ionia and Aeolis, both Phrygias and Lydia, and took Miletus by storm.

All the rest came over to our side spontaneously, and I made them yours for you to enjoy.

[7.9.8] All the wealth of Egypt and Cyrene, which I won without a fight, are now yours, Coele Syria, Palestine and Mesopotamia are your possession, Babylonia and Bactria and Elam belong to you, you own the wealth of Lydia, the treasures of Persia, the riches of India, and the outer ocean. You are satraps, you are generals, you are captains. As for me, what do I have left from all these labors? Merely this purple cloak and a diadem."

Alexander was a GOAT. His men were cowards and weaklings

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was probably just waiting for his son to be born first. Ecen if he was an alcoholic I doubt he thought he was going to due anytime soon.

And I mean even if you have a solid plan in place it just doesn't work out right. Look at what happened when Augustus died.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It sucks I can't see the New Top Gun cause of China's bullshit

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's how you get calcium in the Chinese diet

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait they're happy paying for bones instead of meat?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They need to hurry up and roll this out nationally. Bitcoin used to be good for a laugh, but it's long since crossed the threshold into being truly abhorrent.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acoustic kitty was vital to the defence of the republic :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand the cross forum wars, why can't everyone just be kind to one another?