Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Tomn posted:

I have a personal hate-on for the push to traditional Chinese medicine as a cure for loving everything. It's one of the more blatantly obvious cynical attempts to harness science in the name of pointless nationalism in the 21st century and drat the costs.

(That and climate change denial but yeah)

Sounds like you’ve been eating too many hot foods and it has you all flustered. Eat some cold foods. It will cool you down and your skin and temperament will improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

McGavin posted:

Can I drink some cold water?

No, that’s unhealthy.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

My elderly and staunchly anti communist in-laws are super happy about the government backing off on all of the controls and probing. Things have been real upsetting for them recently and with good reason.

Unfortunately their usually rad defiance in regards to the CCP also convinced them that because the government is bad and lies to you that they must be lying about vaccines and those must be bad too.

Really not looking forward to having to plan out their funerals a decade earlier than expected.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The Fear posted:

I see shen yun posters at 7-11 here in Vancouver it looks like cirque

would it be fun to go to on mushrooms

Seems like a good idea to me

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Dandywalken posted:

Why do Swedes not offer food to guests?

Just in case they’re secret elves. Want some snacks? Prove you’re not an elf.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay can someone explain the shen yun jokes to me. It's always here in the SF Bay area and I've never gone.

Is it worth going or is it just some loving culturally appropriated joke

I need to know from the China thread enjoyers

It’s a fundraising and awareness campaign for an insane right wing cult that’s just as pro-chud as they are anti-CCP.

Their omnipresent marketing is funny. They are not.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Chief among these clowns’ beliefs are that heaven is segregated, evolution is a scam, and that queerness should be wiped off the face of the earth. :pseudo:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Wasn’t there recently a big push to remove a lot of the stuff from media? Pretty sure that happened last year and it was a big step back.

That was a couple years ago and things keep trending in the wrong direction. Was looking kind of hopeful for a bit but now queer spaces are being shut down and the public conversation has been steered towards vilification. A whole lot of folk are suddenly obsessed with the idea that queer people are corrupting Chinese culture and society and there are a lot of conspiracy theories going around about queerness itself being a western plot.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

kntfkr posted:

how the gently caress do i spend money in china?

is applepay big? i haven't tried hooking up Ali pay with a US card but I assume that's a thing i might be able to do?

You can use Alipay Tour Pass to setup kind of a prepaid card thing, or you can link your credit card up with WeChat.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Atopian posted:

The answers to most of the new-to-china questions are:

Wechat

Taobao

Try again at the next service window down.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Rabelais D posted:

Can you link a foreign credit card to WeChat without a residence permit in China? I am stuck using WeChat HK and it works in Starbucks etc but not any of the smaller vendors, let alone taxi drivers etc.

Unless something has changed super recently you should be able to—but, you might have to redial support for awhile until you find the right agent. You know how it be sometimes.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

You’re getting it mixed up with Amazing Cultivation Simulator.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:dafuq: is there a gas leak in this thread?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

gonna have to recommend avoiding this movie. it’s pretty, but, uh… :stare:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the whole movie is a neglected child’s hallucination after she falls off a boat. these delusions revolve around the stories the other main character—a clown who jumped into the ocean to save her—is telling to distract her from the fact that they are both adrift and slowly drowning. the clown dies. something like the last twenty minutes of the movie is spent rubbing it in how sad everything is and then it’s over. the girl learns to eat bitterness and we are assured her life is better now as the credits roll

it’s a reasonably fun and rather gorgeous spirited away knock off up until the ending though

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Is there a Chinese Elon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHLrfK54wU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

why would they call it the south china sea if the rest of the world did not mean for china to have it? that wouldn’t make any sense at all

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

BrainDance posted:

Wait so what's the hosed up thing that happened on Purple Island before?

A purple torture dungeon? What?

isn’t that where they had all of the eugenics slave farms for undesirables?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

glad you came around because the position of hating on hotpot is bizarre as hell

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i hear it’s the largest most effective non-woke fighting force in the world these days

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

a tankie

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

weiboos

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

metal knows no borders

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bum the Sad posted:

what about Sea Land

a joke with encyclopedic knowledge of the world’s various age of consent laws

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Atlas Hugged posted:

I want someone to expose these guys the way the Chinese MMA fighter exposed all the Kung Fu and Taiqi masters with unbeaten records as frauds by challenging them to officiated matches. Well maybe not quite like that as he had to go into hiding because the traditional martial arts community in China was piiiiiiiiissed at him and he started receiving death threats and unwanted visits from local authorities.

But like how loving funny would it be if there was a dude who went around and just sucker punched these dudes in the dicks when they didn't have on whatever protective gear they use or weren't standing in exactly the right position to guide the blow to the side.

is brother dong still around or is he finally living the dream in australia?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what on god’s green earth is this bear and why is it everywhere?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently a Chinese patrol had a bit of a discussion with a Vietnamese fishing boat:
https://i.imgur.com/cOLCBQj.mp4
Stolen translation, supposedly pretty decent:

a people of dragon and fairy indeed

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

edit: ^^^numbers started up again last week. i think it was published as ~15%

Tai posted:

Is China still having problems with youth(20-30) unemployment?

they stopped reporting numbers for a bit, then changed the way unemployment is calculated to make the number smaller. still not looking great

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 21, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

Isn’t it being significantly undercut by CCP policy though? Stuff like “kids are only allowed to play one hour a day”

never stopped them before

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

when would you even wear traditional chinese clothing outside of getting hitched? even then it’s usually just the tea ceremony. new years, sort of; and, the lantern festival, sort of? young people seem to be kind of into it, but as far as i know that’s just an internet clout thing. like doing a little dance on video at every single landmark you visit

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Okuteru posted:

Visiting Hong Kong this weekend.

I take a lot of things I've said about Shanghai.

Hong Kong expats make Shanghai expats look like Marxists.

:lmao:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

nations should be able to work past their differences and disagreements, it’s just real weird seeing the us make an effort

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

he’s been milking this a bit much

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cactus Ghost posted:

i want to see a planned stock exchange. thatd be neat to see what would make it implode first

isn’t that basically what bond markets are?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

just paying a little tribute to one of the all time conservative greats, “chief” red cloud
https://crosscut.com/2016/12/native-american-nazi-chief-red-cloud-elwood-tanner

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Collateral posted:

Has there been a political revolution that has turned out better for the people, in general, as opposed to those who end up on top?

I don't mean counter revolution, which are usually a return to the ante revolutionary status quo, due to the revolution sucking balls.

Like the American Revolution, lots of colonists died, and very little changed for them. Slavery was preserved and natives got screwed.

French revolution royally hosed France*, and much of Europe was plunged into 40 years of warfare.

*2 million french dead by 1815.

Has there been a good one?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Klyith posted:

Are you gonna include anti-colonial revolutions in your whole "revolutions are never good" theory?

And if so, are you gonna sit there and say that because anti-colonial revolutions have a pretty mixed history on producing a string of dictators and unstable states post-revolution, that justifies the colonial exploitation?

"Don't rebel! We may be running your country and treating you like poo poo but it could be worse! This white man's burden is just so heavy, cut us some slack."

yes, this is exactly what op was saying. you cracked the case

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

uninterrupted posted:

The Haitian Revolution was awesome, pulled an entire nation out of slavery.

out of one kind of slavery and then directly into another kind thanks to the french and americans

e: please note that this is the fault of the french and americans though, and not of the haitian revolution

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 1, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

uninterrupted posted:

Like when China emancipated the Tibetan serfs.

a smashing success of total liberation and self determination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

try as they might no one will ever make a better honeypot for libertarians than eve online