Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

i mean, if scotland ever got to the point where they just declare independence then what are the english to do? send in their barely existent army that's sent off like half of its equipment to get blown up in ukraine?

I seem to recall London has corporate control over and would be supported in claiming all the North Sea oil. That's probably Scotland's biggest bargaining chip to be part of a customs union or to maintain independence, without it they're just losing any representation in Westminster and having to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

They weren't already working there?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

They all did huge obvious crimes with the PPE deals, giving public money to their pals in fraudulent contracts as people died by the thousand.

But that's the kind of thing any government will probably want to do again so they can't be punished for that coz we don't want to set a precedent.

but having an illegal party during a pandemic doesn't call into question the fundamental legitimacy of parliament and is pretty specific and avoidable (although both major parties did it it seems like) so you can probably use it to attack your political enemies.
But it seems like everyone did it so it's gonna be messy

Yeah it's incredible that the focus of people's anger at the Tories for their handling of the pandemic is mainly that they had parties when the rules said they couldn't.

loving hall monitor mindset

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

genericnick posted:

It's not people's anger, it's the press. Because, as CT wrote, it's harmless to get people mad at this as opposed to anything that actually affects them.

I get what you and CT are saying, but as a non resident who gets most of my reads of the public from my friends still back in the UK or expats here, they all seem very pissed at the parties and don't talk about the truly heinous stuff

That's probably part of that whole "the media will not be discussing these things", but for many folks they'll get their anger signals from the press.

Yes my friends are libs :smith:

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

notaspy posted:

Not 100% but the scuttlebutt is it is a lad, the scum article is extremely vague.

If it is not the dude in question, then there must be a BBC SOP for being a deniable sex pest.

Mr. Glue apparently will pay for nudes and do in person meetups but is very specific there's no sex involved. It's probably been a going thing since the person I know that first told me this story brought it up in like 2018-19 and the actual photo and lunch relationship was a couple years before that.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I love 2000s NBA fashion

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Does the crown also own a tiny little sliver of the molten core

... you are aware the reptilians come from within the HOLLOW earth?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is a snap card?

Pre-loaded debit card for people who receive food benefits (called SNAP in most places) in the states.

Food stamps used to be literal stamp books, and moving to SNAP cards made paying with food stamps a hell of a lot more convenient and less shaming (though you still need to check if the store you are visiting accepts SNAP)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

supplemental nutrition assistance program, comes with a card that participating retailers will let you buy certain food items with, as opposed to physical tickets or "food stamps". also called an EBT card, and that's the sign that you can look for on a register to see if it's accepted.

it's in some ways more convenient than stamps but with stamps you would have to get change in cash, which you could save up to buy things you weren't supposed to like diapers, so thank goodness that loophole is eliminated.

e: f, snapped

The latter part is a really important bit I missed. The money on the EBT card is non-transferrable and your purchases are limited to whatever the administrators of SNAP say you can have. Basically anything hygiene related is excluded, and grocery items that were hot are also excluded - which can be a big deal if you don't have reliable cooking tools / access, and also sucks because rotisserie chickens are a very cost and calorie efficient purchase.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Nonno No Mo: Grana Pandano Holds Grandpa Down-O

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Isn't it odd how his scandals aren't getting mysteriously forgotten within a week when previously that was just how it was for tory PMs.

Hell they even brought back the post office scandal and not to hand it to him but that was absolutely nothing to do with him, although that doesn't excuse doing nothing about it now ofc.

Hey now... My most Labour and Power of Journalism brained friends give me regular updates on how Partygate is going to FINALLY hold Boris accountable any day now

It's not going away!

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

CHAD MILK

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

He killed Kate and needs to wrap up some loose ends before she's tragically swept out to sea during her many month long convalescence

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jose posted:

the south east proving itself yet again to be thje worst place in the UK

Stonehenge sits on the powerful "piss bondage" leylines

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm guessing "solo male" means lots of Scotswomen and gay men are watching jerk off vids. Well if that's the case they'll love my posting.

Based on my experience in Scotland, being closeted / on the down low is very normal

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

CancerCakes posted:

I think the joke is that gorgeous George will maintain he is both with a straight face but perhaps I am doing too much leg work.

George is a symptom of a deeply unwell political field, a canary in the coal mine of fascism and oppression. To treat him as a guiding light is foolish, the canary cannot light the way, it can only squawk in its cage.

the dude placing second wanted to like fix pot holes and stuff (no I did not go too deeply into his platform to find the inevitable bad stuff), and Galloway also made "Get Primark" a campaign plank

could this also be a sign that people want like ... Material conditions improved??

No no... It's that Rochdale is very poor and not smart

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Quotey posted:

have a feeling that the tweet could be fake news

Concerning...

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

What's wrong with ideology? Is it so bad to have a framework to make decisions and build policy around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jose posted:

so with a british person being murdered in israel now will either party leader actually do anything

Just one?

Time to remember the 7 9/11s of October 7 when half a dozen Brits died