Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://order-order.com/2022/10/20/whos-backing-who-the-spreadsheet-returns/

boris is half way to being the first nominee for "new" PM already lmao

hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

220 mps not yet declared, blojo needs 43. its a shoe in

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Spangly A posted:

When someone posted Guido's website he's got the actual names and nominations are not restricted to MPs, so when you add in all the lords and unseated apparatchiks it's way easier to see how the erg are doing this with less than 30 MPs lmao

https://order-order.com/2022/10/21/whos-backing-who-the-spreadsheet-returns/ heres the spreadsheet, it looks like it's just MPs (total 350 ish)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

be 50 in the u.k. - own or nearly own your own home, final salary pension, zero tax, veto on any renewables being built within 100 miles of your abode because you think they’re an eyesore

more like 65

many people in their 50s are just as hosed as the rest of the plebs

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

lol nadine is throwing in the towel

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/09/i-have-to-remove-myself-nadine-dorries-to-step-down-as-an-mp

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

It has been suggested that she is in line for a peerage, as part of Johnson’s resignation honours list. But she said: “I have heard nothing … I’m just getting through the emotional aspect of leaving a job I loved for 19 years.”

She said that the former prime minister had urged her to stay on, saying: “He doesn’t want me to go … he said: ‘Nads, stay.’”
how the gently caress has she been an MP for 19 years lmao jesus

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It isn’t just profits really, you are also simply going to have to pay/hire more staff as well.

how would a privatized health service make money anyway, nobody in Britain has any money these days even if they wanted to spend it on luxuries like healthcare

at least americans have some money to keep the grift going

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The government probably will (like the US) have to spend more on public health as well in the form of subsidies. Even the US, still has to offer programs so the population doesn’t entirely die off. Debt will go up, but the biggest source of new revenue will probably be the middle class (or what’s left of it) who doesn’t pay for private care now but will have to hand over more money to stay alive.

It very well may mean more austerity but in general British debt is unsustainable and the Pound is still weak even though the Dollar has cooled off. The result is probably going to eventually be an outflow of young Britons to the EU and other parts of the world looking for opportunity.

I actually don’t think it is, private trusts are businesses and they want to make money: They unlike the NHS need some staff to make money. Of course they will be heavily subsidized by the government but it eventually will happen.
the problem is that these days neither the middle class nor the government have any money to speak of lol

oh and there's no growth and no immigration and shite expensive education so its not like its ever going to get better either

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Your tent cities are still not as big as the states, there is more to squeeze.

counterpoint: britain is cold and rainy, homeless people will just die off, we can't really ship them to cornwall or something

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

i was doing the maths on this in my head too, so bearing in mind that the average homeowners house has gone up in value by 30000 since 2019, stuff like a hip will cost you 10 grand out of pocket, pet/ct about a grand and a chemo course can be 100000, so as long as the housing market holds up there’s a ton of value locked up here ready to be popped

i guess that means all the olds will be dying in dickensian poverty having reverse mortgaged their houses (if they're lucky) to private equity

Ardennes posted:

The Pacific NW is as bad weather wise. Also, it seems like most middle class Britons welcome worse conditions.

true, most british houses are cold and damp too

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm in Minneapolis, one of the coldest cities in America, believe me they'll be able to manage

depends on your definition of manage but yeah

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Most hosed up thing about the UK's housing market is that whole thing where you don't own the land your house is on and have to pay some aristo to lease it. That's loving bananas!

this is an amazing grift, and also they can just jack up the ground rent whenever they like and you can't do a loving thing

and you can't sell the gaff either because of the huge ground rent

Regarde Aduck posted:

so i'm trapped here as a working class slacker but on the bright side, no more computer touchers?

i'm a computer touching slacker and hosed off in 2014, great timing in retrospect, can recommend it if you have any chance

good news is that you'll be better off in poland these days

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

lmao at o’mara getting 4 years in jail for nicking 30k, even if he was a lazy cokehead, when everyone else is grifting 100x harder with no consequences

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

honestly I don’t get the ID card hate, the rest of the EU has them + a unique personal number (like NI number but for more than taxes, all government dealings), it works remarkably well at having a joined up government (both national and local) who eg knows when you move house and you don’t need to get in touch with 20 different government agencies that you’ve forgot even exist. same thing with doing poo poo online, it just works.

obviously with the UK being the UK they’d piss up a few tens of billions up the wall for a system that doesn’t work except for cracking down on immigrants and the poors, but that’s a UK being shite problem, not an ID cards and joined up government being bad problem

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

its pretty funny and illustrates the state of the modern UK that something like an ID card and joined up single-sign-on for government, automatic address changes, etc that is normal and good in other countries can't be embraced here because of how poo poo/corrupt/useless the government is

better things aren't possible!

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

what does this have to do with ID cards

this is just standard govt being useless bastards

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

They'd leave a hard drive with all the unencrypted info for 3 million systems in a minicab owned by some Albanian Mafia front

in this case its stupider than that, hancock decided it would be great to give some idiot telegraph journo (isobel oakeshott) access to his own whatsapp messages to help ghostwrite his lovely bought nobody bought, and then the journo decided to leak all the messages to the press

even more hilariously, this is like the 3rd or 4th time she has done this (including getting that lib dem guy who got his wife to take his speeding points getting thrown in jail, and the wife)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's a reference to an early 80s TV show called Auf Wiedersehen Pet about a bunch of northern English working class blokes moving to Germany for work after Thatcher shut down all industry.

Nobody under the age of 50 should get that reference, but I guess the over-50s are Labour's key demographic now that they've killed off the youth vote they had..

i have heard of it and i am 30 but thats mostly from the dire straits song

also this whole leaking all of matt hancocks texts thing seems quite promising, might turn the tories into a circular firing squad yet again and usher in a glorious era of keith. seems like they will drip feed the whole cabinet saying mask off things for the next couple of weeks

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Microplastics posted:

Vegetables are woke

tomatoes and lettuce are woke. turnips are embracing patriotic great British cuisine.

also yeah the uk hasn’t been ‘first world’ for a while in the uh, traditional sense of the guy on the street being well off (was it ever? was any country ever? who knows)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/louisajamesitv/status/1633156203701485568?s=46&t=t5tiuHEdU31jr3-QGztGWg

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/08/gary-lineker-bbc-uk-asylum-policy-nazi-germany-match-of-the-day-presenter

gary lineker cancelled by the woke moralist mob (tory MPs) for pointing out a vague connection between this and 30s germany

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

did anyone do a "who said it, himmler or braveman, hitler or jenrick" yet

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i was trying to get by train to a funeral near stafford by train from the continent, and for the london to stafford portion for some reason they weren't selling advance singles or off peak, more than 10 days in advance, a regular anytime single was £225 for a 1hr20 min journey

this is the same as petrol for driving the whole entire thousand mile round trip & the chunnel costs

or alternatively 10x the max train fare of €29,40 in the netherlands for a ~5 hour journey

i hate england

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Betjeman posted:

You got intensely ripped off there (it's a journey I make semi-regularly, advance tickets are pretty easy to get and are about £25 but the most expensive peak ticket is £117 and if you take the stopping service at peak it's £70. Walk on off-peak is about £50

i said "gently caress it ill drive instead" lol

but yeah also very cool that you need to be In The Know to buy train tickets

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i just went to nationalrail.co.uk and typed in euston and stafford and didn't bother going to a TOC website since i assumed (incorrectly lol) that nationalrail would show advance/off peak/cheaper anytime singles if they were available because, well it usually does/did, you only needed to go to a TOC to actually buy the tickets

sadly i am english and i know the many stupid ways to buy tickets in england, but apparently not well enough

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1638857991658291200?s=12&t=t5tiuHEdU31jr3-QGztGWg

tough on weed crime, tough on the causes of weed crime (the causes are left as an exercise to the reader)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

anyone else itt renounced their british nationality yet?

im gonna do it this year, gently caress being english any more, time to become european again, after 9 years away from hell island whats even the point any more

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

the country i now live in makes you renounce your old nationality if you naturalize, so you can't keep your british passport

and i want to naturalize instead of being british

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

excellent work

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd actually be fine with the royals if you turned it into a reality show and the sicko members of the family could be replaced by more interesting celebrities. Get a season where Fry and Laurie replace Andrew and Chuck.

https://twitter.com/dorkusmalorkus_/status/1654856730210123776

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

no i'm sure the NatC movement is perfectly innocent and fine

anyway heres a photo of suella looking normal

https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1658179993518714880

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

haha holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/NatConTalk/status/1658222444602179586

no no, you see, we are the nice fascists, not like those nasty brutish continental ones

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

so now that the uk has crossed the rubicon and descended into literal outright fascism (as opposed to before where people vaguely pretended to hide make the dog whistles vaguely subtle) where do we go from here lol

Keith is obviously authoritarian as gently caress so will actively embrace most of the fashion tendencies

there’s no left wing movement to speak of any more and whatever remains of it is violently crushed and thrown in jail

we already have concentration camps for migrants

the only silver lining is that there’s no obvious SA but the police fulfil most of that role anyway

just how bad is it going to get lol

very glad I am in the process of renouncing my citizenship

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, on the upside the uk no longer has a functional military or the resources to build one so all of the evil is focused inward.

maybe if we devote 20 years of work as a camp guard we'll finally be able to buy a house , and granny will be proud

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1670547728613638145

so keith is going to "throw everything" at the problem, which given his extremely inspiring track records of maintaining the status quo, should be entertaining to watch

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

When Keir saw the breadth of his manifesto he wept, for there were no more pledges to abandon

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Wasn't that when the Ukrainians shot their own chief negotiator lol.

yep

Gripweed posted:

400 pound a month for a train pass? Is that like the super fancy one that lets you take unlimited bullet train trips all over the country?

lol of course not this is just unlimited journeys (i.e. commute) from A to B where the journey is like 40 minutes

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tickets-railcards-and-offers/ticket-types/season-ticket-calculator/

note that in other countries it's customary for your employer to cover your travel for office jobs

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i read on twitter that french newspapers had already published the pictures but it seems hard to find

edit: pics of the presenter not pics of kids

Mr SuperAwesome has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jul 10, 2023

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

what a brain numbingly stupid article

In Brexit Britain, we have a glorious opportunity to navigate between the Scylla of supranational technocracy and the Charybdis of national-populism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

What policy area are you most excited to hear about at the Future of Britain Conference 2023? (tick as many as applicable)*

🏛️ State reform and the role of the state
🏥 Transformation of public services
🗺️ 21st-century geopolitics
🌍 The climate debate
📈 Enabling growth and prosperity
👩‍💻 Digital revolution

hmmmmmmmm