Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OrthoTrot posted:

This is a really good twitter thread about why Peakes claim is antisemitic, probably unknowingly:

https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1276252148259487749?s=20

We’re talking about a cabinet minister being sacked for complimenting an actress and linking to her interview, containing one offhand line about Israel. If this kind of tangential, overwrought bullshit is enough to sack a politician then you can justify the removal of anyone less than 100% forensic. Which of course is the point. Is anyone but the left held to such lofty standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/16/i-thrived-on-the-tension-and-drama-of-british-politics-then-i-had-a-heart-attack

The Brexit dividend will be paid in dead Grauniad hacks

The timing of this work stress piece from a journalist seems a teeny bit insensitive - just me?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Nonsense posted:

lol i really wonder how many comments were mocking him that he should have died if every single comment is moderated down to "YOU ARE THE BEST JOURNALIST THE GUARDIAN EVER"

They’ve had to work hard to get that warm bath of bland positivity I think. Before I inflicted that link on you I made a rather polite and restrained comment that even praised his description of angor animi. Got premoderated cos I also suggested that letting go of the Corbyn ogre in his head might be good for his health now that Starmer is in and he can again pretend to be a leftist with no risk of anything changing. I spose if Behr reads a critical word he might just keel over like Terry Gilliam in the holy grail so a national newspaper’s comment section has to be his snowflake safe space

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
If Gove’s media pals and Cum Tzu really want to knife Johnson why don’t they just make something up targeted to unsettle his base and relentlessly lie about it for four years? Proven tech

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Shame really, imagine a no-party state with FPTP. Gloriously cursed

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The idea that he thinks he can troll his way to victory with centrist wallpaper memes is funnier though

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Hmm yes the party that voted in the piccaninnies with watermelon smiles guy to kill 100,000 extra people and rule that leaseholders need to pay for their overlords’ murdercladding to be replaced, whose ratings are still going up. They will be tainted forever by the stain of dissing department store wallpaper

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Didn’t Labour already try the ‘adenoidal replicant as leader’ aesthetic

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Don’t think purging the PLP of shite would have changed the thoroughly hostile narrative landscape enough to make an electoral difference. But, and this is important, it would have been really funny

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Really shouldn’t have backed down on Margaret Hodge eg. Not talking about how things look to the media, just about natural justice

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Well, <snortlaugh> I’m not going to sit here and lay out the very smart plan I definitely have in this, ah, interview,

Either there’s a media training package that teaches every British politician to say this or they’ve all copied it off some Patient Zero of smug flailing. Both are inexplicable. How do they not notice how horrific it sounds. Hoowww

I miss early era Corbyn when he just answered questions like a thoughtful human being.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Time to man up and admit I was wrong about Starmer in the leadership contest. I called him a blandly tedious middle management Remainiac or smth and that was wrong of me and I’m sorry. I had no idea he would be this entertaining

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
It shouldn’t be surprising to me that Labour have lost nurses. Out of any group of people I know nurses were the most consistent Corbyn boosters. Also I’ve seen the absolute loving state of this last year in healthcare. And how angry people are that no one in politics seems to be sticking up for them, if they get time to check.

Still those stats from a few pages ago are shocking somehow. He didn’t just lose nurses a little bit as Labour voters, he full on massively lost them. What a guy, what a cop, what a maniac

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Welll this has felt grimly inevitable for ages lol. What the voters want you see is a harder austerity narrative delivered by a woman who even by the standards of MPs is unlikeable

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
nah no issues there, reeves simply has the consistent and moral position that immigration should be banned and she shouldnt face any hassle while popping to Val d’Isère for holibobs

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Even the Graun CiFlords can't maintain the pretence that their wet shamepig is gonna win poo poo. They're starting to big up Andy Burnham again now

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

I like the very subtle implication that the north (oh sorry the Red Wall, this is def a natural-born phrase with a history predating late 2019) is populated by little toy redcoats waiting to be wound up and pointed at the culture war enemy of the day. Britain's political landscape is so invigorating and uplifting, don't you think? Contested histories and contested facts, always following the science

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Starmer himself just got dragged in the JC for insufficient condemnation of Hamas’ scrapmetal rockets. They rubbed the ‘humanism is antisemitic’ lamp and the genie ain’t going back in without granting their wishes fully

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The way the party have treated Kim Leadbeater so far makes me proper uncomfortable. It just feels wrong in a grating horrible way. Chucked in with no real experience as a blatantly cynical piece of shame-bait and then left to sink in George Galloway’s milk bowl

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Kim Leadbeater is going to be a rubbish MP but I’m kinda glad she won’t have to read a month of articles about how she made a Guardian writer’s heart think of a free Palestine and die. Instead we should be good for another round of the Starmzy Relaunches which are always good honest fun

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Pictured: it coming home

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
‘Otherwise bullying/harassment. Lord of the Rings’ might be the best Twitter line ever written. Laconic wit for the terminally dogbrained

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Happiness is mandatory, pupil

e: learning to respond to whistles to prepare them for later life - so that’s athlete or border collie as your career choices?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Me: [chanting] fact, fact, fact
Teacher: [pounding whistle] FACT, FACT, FACT

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Another generation traumatised, mission complete

(Sucks about the racism and domestic violence)

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

the sex ghost posted:

*weird Keir starmer voice* I welcome the football result but would urge the government to go further and abolish football

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Taking pride in your inability to enjoy anything touched by capitalism, nationalism and so on and so on isn’t very sustainable for obvious reasons. If you can’t ever carve out your own terms in life then you’re playing by their rules even in your own head.

Football isn’t everyone’s thing but there’s always something to enjoy. I for example savour compound curses of the 2002 GBS provenance like fine wines

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
England fans should continue to spam it’s coming home so that every team that knocks them out says they were galvanised by the arrogance. David Baddiel is definitely stupid enough to believe it and get really upset

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no one cares about the song, it’s just funny to mock. everyone hates British and Americans because we’re loud stupid assholes that make the world worse for other people and it’s funny when we get some degree of comeuppance. it’s also extremely funny to Americans when it happens to brits because we’re equally contemptible so we get to make fun of smug assholes for once.

I was referring to the fact that both the last two teams to eliminate England from a major tournament have cited the song as motivation. As I implied I do not believe this reflects reality (except as maybe searching for anything extra that can push you on)

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
That is in fact the joke I was making along with getting a dig in at one of the two lyrics writers who is a colossal tit

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
LS didn’t write the words, they got two 90s football comedians to do it and boy do they love blacking up and hate Corbyn’s antisemitism. As mentioned earlier one has also proved himself to be incredibly thick both on TV and in published form

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Hmm yes Eni, very consistent with your views on free speech eg https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/dec/19/mesut-ozil-should-be-able-to-say-what-he-likes-about-subjects-he-cares-about

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Posters getting really upset at basic Americans with strong opinions on things they clearly know nothing about is a fundamental pillar of U.K. threads. It’s comforting to me. Makes me feel I can rely on something in this crazy world

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
I am the man who has deprived you of lockdowns and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing - you who dread covid - *wet coughing for several dozen pages*

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Continuity RCP posted:

At this rate there won't be any rubble

There will be adequate rubble

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Jose posted:

hadley freeman has quit at the guardian and blamed corbyn for it lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1439182092827561987?s=20

Great parting poo poo Hadley, facile and tiresome to the end. It’s remarkable how many people who have never had a thought worth writing down get paid for their bad opinions in this country but she was extra special. I’d rather read daily thinkpieces on monarchy by CoolCab

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Re 2019, Brexit didn’t come up much on doorsteps etc for me and neither did antisemitism. If either did come up you had no chance of getting through to them though, and the only Labour->Tory switchers from 2017 were single issue Brexit olds. The People’s Vote shite was of course impossible to push (wow betrayal AND cowardice, you’re spoiling us) and felt emblematic of a general woolly imprecision in the whole campaign. Because the entire media landscape was against us it was even more important to get consistent, targeted messages out locally and up here we didn’t even begin to do that.

I got a lot of ‘love the IRA you lot eh’ and Corbyn-haters that couldn’t explain why they hated him, and above all towering waves of miserable apathy. In 2017 some mild socdems lost, by a fairly comfortable margin, the opportunity to be sabotaged into governmental uselessness. This terrified the liberal establishment so much they stopped playin, just ripped the flimsy masks right off and allowed the gnashing telluricidal mania to pour out of their mouths and wash over the island. Two years of that allied with a couple of decades of corrupt and useless Labour governance at all levels quite nicely tyvm.

The Brexit wedge was real, and I don’t think there was a good way out of being split down ‘how much do we want to suck and gently caress this racist transnational bureaucracy’, even if we did amusingly end up with the worst possible approach. Even that strangely evanescent National Conversation though was just another manifestation of media culture wagging the thoughts dog, as others have said.

I don’t have a clear point here. I’d just like to drown all guardian columnists in a var of piss

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Jose posted:

while she's big on defending slaver statues the very first thing nadine dorries did as DCMS was have this building delisted so it could be demolished

https://twitter.com/TWphotography92/status/1439423518404489221?s=20

It had only got Grade II listed status about a week prior occasioning heartwarming movie style celebrations about saving a piece of industrial heritage at the last gasp. Then the Tory tees valley mayor petitioned nadine Dorries to delist it as her literal first job in post and rush demo’d it over the weekend which was possibly a little less heartwarming albeit quite funny

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
They raised an antisemitically patterned cat into the air and shouted ‘gently caress capitalism’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Everyone should be allowed to agitate online for the destruction of the United Kingdom. Disaffected Britons, rubbernecking Americans, it’s all good imo. Also does anyone genuinely care about some proud boy getting winged? Or is it just fodder for the absolute least interesting kind of posting - the My Forums Enemies crybully bollocks that keeps spreading to every corner of this dead gay website