Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

This is my first Animal Crossing game. I’m a week into playing and have been having loads of fun so far!

I just realized that some wallpapers get rid of my windows. It’s disappointing because I love the cherry blossom wallpaper, but want to keep some natural light.

I hope to get all the cherry blossom recipes because I’m always a big fan of cherry blossom stuff in games. Managed to complete my bunny day collection the other day. I’ll save eggs till the 12th, but after that, any extras will be made into glowy garland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So is there a reason why I don’t have the best friends app yet? I’ve played online with 2 friends and never got it and would like to be able to send them gifts.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh my goodness, Flick is on my island today and I have made so much money selling him all the peacock butterflies that have been hovering around my front door the past few days. I planted some pink, orange and purple roses right in front of my house, so it’s fancy butterfly central right now.

I also got him to do an art commission for them. I wish he would take more than one at a time though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Flick's 'Really? WHAT KIND?!' animation is just the best.

I want this punk chameleon to live on my island forever.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ZentraediElite posted:

I've been watching some YouTube videos of 5-star islands with my daughter to get inspiration of what we could do to ours. It's kind of impressive what people have done, but part of the enjoyment of the game to me is finally getting a DIY recipe or finding something for sale that matches the theme of the room I'm trying to create.

When I finally got a better table to replace my cardboard box, that was fun.

I, personally, would rather slow play this game and get items as I find them, or travel to other islands, rather than hop in an item trading Discord and get everything I want immediately.

I’ve been playing for a couple weeks now and I’m still using cardboard boxes because I hate putting stuff on the floor and don’t want to keep building the same table over and over. I wait until I come across better tables, like the vintage TV tray that was for sale in my Nooks today.

As much as I’m loving this game, I wish I could change a villager’s name. One of my starting villagers is Katt and she asked for a nickname, so I just gave her my real life nickname. However, that nickname was given to me in real life by a close friend of mine named Cat but we had a falling out over a year ago and she refuses to speak to me. Just makes me a little bit sad now, is all. :/

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

And More posted:

I think you can report her to Isabelle, and she'll be reset to her original catchphrases and stuff.

Oh, I don’t want to reset her! :ohdear:

I just wish I could give her a nickname too, so it’s less close to my old friend’s name.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh my gosh, I just had an imperial chest drop from a tree. It’s gorgeous and just what I need in my living room to hold my fish tank and Switch.

I keep getting some pretty sweet wallpapers, but I’ve become so attached to my cherry blossom wall. I’m sure I’ll swap it out someday.

All the cherry blossom and bamboo stuff has allowed me to make a pretty nice Japanese themed bedroom too. My Shoji walls don’t have windows, but at least they let in some natural light.

Your Computer posted:

they never get their "proper" homes which is honestly one of the biggest bummers with this game

Yeah, that’s really disappointing. I’m planning to just gift them furniture and hope they use it. Really wish I could change out their wall and floors though. I had one villager tell me that Stitches has a house so perfectly suited to his personality, but he really doesn’t. Stitches needs colourful and whimsical stuff rather than generic log cabin theme. :/

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Elucidarius posted:

Thanks!!

I'm opening my town up again. Nook's is buying turnips for 583. I'm just going to post the code here because eh. If there's a comm error I'll reopen and edit this post.

2GN1F

Edit: Oh I'm keeping it open until nook's closes which is 9pm mountain.

Thank you for opening your island! I got a little lost wandering around, but it’s a really lovely island! :)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Are there way fewer couches and chairs in this game? I was wondering why I couldn't do anything nice with my house, and I realized it's because I've never seen a couch or a chair in Nook's Cranny. And all the DIY recipes I have for couches and chairs are the most basic poo poo. Do they not have Rococo or Gorgeous furniture in this game?

I bought a couch at Nook’s, got a rocking chair recipe from a message bottle, and got a piano bench and cute chair from ballon presents. Otherwise I have recipes for a chair and a stool.

I’m mainly looking for interesting tables, shelves and counters. I’m still using cardboard boxes to put stuff on because I don’t want to keep building the same small table over and over.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So what is the difference between flowers grown from seeds and wild growing ones? I moved and watered some wild roses growing on my cliff tops and they spawned my first hybrids, including a purple rose.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

Apparently flowers have a full fledged gene system with 3-4 gene pairs per species. Store bought seeds always have the same purebred genes for each color, wild flowers are more random and can have recessive genes.

Ahh, that’s neat! Maybe I’ll just keep watering that patch that spawned the purple if it’s a gene thing.

Bulgakov posted:

i have one purple rose and its the only flower that I'll goto the mat for

Oh yeah, I love my purple rose. It’s chilling near two orange ones outside my front door. Peacock butterfly central.

I hope to have a lovely goth garden of purple, orange and black roses someday.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Undocumented Gamer posted:

Stitches might be my favorite character so far. He talks poo poo about other ppl and seems to be constantly goof and aloof. Plus he had me at Naruto Running across the courtyard.

Other cool guys Ive seen Elvis(dont have) and Lucha, the luchador as well as the kangaroo couples (ive seen 2 of em)

I had a conversation with Stitches earlier about how the world isn’t even real and it’s just a game for someone else’s amusement. I mean, have you ever thought about how fruit grows so quickly and that Tom Nook doesn’t even make sense? Sure, I’ll buy your seashells so you can pay off a loan for a house that I sold you...

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Kiwillian posted:

I'll open for a bit for those people who wanted rose seeds. Not much else of note going on though.

Nooks upgraded so they have more seeds:

Rose: red, yellow, white
Cosmos: red, yellow, white
Mums: red, yellow, white

(so, basically all the base colours).

C606R

Ooh, I don’t have any Cosmos or Mums yet. I will drop by in a bit! :)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I guess I made a mistake by following Tom Nook’s suggestion and putting down a plot of land before another camper showed up. Purrl just moved in without even coming to the campsite first. I only got to invite villagers from islands 2 times. Is that really all the villagers I get to pick all game?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

No, the way that part works is you put down a plot and go to islands immediately to find someone to invite. If you sit on the plot, a rando can move it.

I go to Mystery Islands every single day, but I haven’t seen anyone on them since I invited Ketchup, who was the second one I invited after Stitches. Tom moved June in once I got the three houses built. How am I supposed to encounter villagers on mystery islands again?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

If you have no open plots, you won't see anyone on islands. Buy a plot, put it down, check islands. You can have 10 villagers max. A plot is open if it's empty and the sign doesn't say sold. (Apparently a plot can return to this state if a villager moves out.)

If you're not seeing anyone when you have a plot open, I don't know what's up.

Huh, okay. I’ll have to try putting down a plot and going to more islands then. No villagers were showing up after I put down a plot for some reason.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Today Katt gifted me a menu board and Kevin gifted me a cafe outfit. I think my villagers were trying to tell me something, so I built a cafe.

It’s a little shoddy looking at the moment, but I will build it up to look pretty! I wish we could hang wall items on fences because I’d love to hang all my Bunny Day lights on the bamboo fence walls of the cafe. It’s currently lit by some spare lanterns my villagers kept gifting me.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

It seems like each personality type has certain DIYs they can give out.

My luck with getting new DIYs has definitely gone down too, but I am getting a new thing here and there. Feels kinda insulting to get super-basic DIYs that you got handed as part of the tutorial. Like, not even from the house-building ones where some people get different stuff, but stuff like "mini-DIY table" and "log stakes." (I wouldn't be surprised if I got DIYs from the bundles sold in Nooks, which is just the most "why" ever.)

Not even beach recipes are totally safe from giving you dupes either, which is a real bummer.

I’ve gotten the recipe for the wooden table mirror 3 times now. Second time from a bottle and third from Ketchup. My DIY beach is filling up with so much garbage recipes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m considering just leaving my cedars as non-fruit trees. But if they don’t drop as much hardwood, I might have to keep other hardwood trees around too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

emdash posted:

If you shake a tree from the front 25% or so, you can just mash the net button to catch wasps. (You just have to be far forward enough that when your character turns to face the wasps, they won’t prioritize shaking the tree over swinging the net). Highly recommend this method

Yeah, you also want to be directly in front of the tree so your net won’t catch on the branches. Had that happen a few times and I missed getting the wasps.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

New Leaf posted:

The other I won't entirely spoil but it was brilliantly written and I took pictures of almost every panel. It was REALLY long and they were concerned about if the entire island was just a game. Laugh-out-loud funny.

I got that convo with Stitches the other day. It’s amazing.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Did you actually download the patch & update? I'm pretty sure if you did, you were guaranteed to get bot Leif and Redd.

I got the update, but no Leif or Redd. Isabelle mentioned Nature Day and I’m getting the Nook Miles “plant a shrub” thing, but I have no way to planting any shrubs!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/_Ninji/status/1253495611300741126?s=20

I thought it was my imagination when I wasn't seeing many peacocks after the patch.

This is rather kind of disappointing. I don't think I like them using patches to meddle with bell making methods. Not when turnips are insanely lucrative and honestly kind of tiring to deal with.

Nooooo..... :(

That’s why it was such a bad day for butterflies today. How am I going to pay off my house? Most of my money was coming from the peacock butterflies that hovered around my purple and blue hybrids. I think I only caught a single one all day.

This seriously blows. I don’t like dealing with turnips because that requires going elsewhere to sell and it’s only once a week. I can only afford to buy a few at a time anyways.

Butterflies was 90% on my income!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

my opinion on peacock butteryflies is that if you're the special kind of crazy person (like me) who has decided to go all in on crossbreeding, your dedication should be rewarded with infinite pretty & lucrative bugs

Seriously... It took a lot of time to get these hybrids! It makes sense as a nice reward for flower breeding efforts.

I don’t wanna go back to fishing....

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Has anyone got decent turnip prices? My Timmy is only buying for 35 bells. :/

I don’t have many to offload, as I’m just getting started on the stalk market. Still would rather at least get my money back for them.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like the map, but never looked at it closely. I know you can see stuff in the distance from your north shore, is there a larger chunk of land visible out there?

I see something that looks like a nearby island to the northwest. I just assumed it represented a mystery island.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

I too drink my tea from a lowball glass, with ice cubes, as is customary.

It’s iced tea... just of the Long Island variety....

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So flower breeding seems really confusing. I just had a pink tulip sprout up next to a yellow one and the next nearest tulip was white.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I still need to get a golden trout, but I’ve had zero luck on my clifftops at night. Maybe I need to do more mystery islands.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Undocumented Gamer posted:

My vote for best AC neighbor. Stitches for the win.

Stitches was the very first villager I met on a mystery island.

Though because of this, he lives in a log cabin with a dirt floor. I have been gifting him colourful wood block furniture to replace his rustic logs. Just gave him a toy box from the Cranny today.

Reeeaaally wish we could gift villagers with rugs, floors and wallpapers....

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve been playing this game every day for a month and have never once had Kicks show up. I’ve gotten Saharah and Flick several times and Celeste a couples times and CJ is on his second visit now... but no Kicks.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The internet tells me that Kicks shows up once a week once you have the Ables shop open, but that can’t be right, or I would have seen him at least twice by now. Huh...

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Do you play late at night? He leaves after the shops close, unlike other visitors

I play throughout the day and am always out and about as soon as the shops are open. I should have run into him by now, I think. :confused:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m opening up my island for a bit. Purrl is making golden dishes (she’s just northeast of the Cranny). Ables has mage dresses, Kicks is here (finally!) with black ballet slippers, turnips are garbage.

Please take as much as you like from DIY Beach. Isabelle keeps bothering me about it. I’ve got some spare bamboo grove walls, but most of it is trash.

Please mind the flowers and don’t put up anything in the store, thanks.

4Q51S

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh my gosh, I just had my first thunderstorm in the game and it’s really cool that the lightning will light up the rooms in your house if you have the lights off. I just also wish it made the lights flicker too.

After making a pansy crown, I realized I don’t really like the flower crowns because they’re too small and they sit right on top of the head instead of going around. They should be more like a headband than a hat. I prefer to just wear the individual flower in my hair.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dammit, I just saw my first scorpion and it ran at me and stung me before I could get my net out. :(

Nessa fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 3, 2020

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Can you not give villagers walls/floors to make them redo their homes? I tried with two villagers today and they were...nonplussed, to say the least

It seems you cannot. They won’t even do anything with rugs and wall items either. :(

I want to give Stitches something better than a dirt floor!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, my Nooks is frequently like day 3 of a garage sale as well. My best finds have always come from shaking trees or balloons. That’s how I got my imperial chest, skull radio, hot tub and fireplace.

It’s also made me flush with looms and pedalboards. I don’t even need 1 loom and now I have 3!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Computer Opponent posted:

I gotta shake more trees. I got that sweet record playing skull on like day one.

Oh same, it was the first thing that fell from a tree for me and now it sits on my mantle in my spooky room.

I try to shake my trees every day to get my loot drops and catch wasps. You can also get them from the trees on mystery islands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

E-flat posted:

Oh man. So I just caught a betta, and thought to myself that I'd need to save some for CJ so I could have one in my house. And then I thought to myself that it'd be nice if you could also get models that moved around. :downs:

it took me a second.

I actually wish you could craft aquariums with multiple fish in them. Like, let me use a clown fish, surgeon fish and butterfly fish and get a single, large aquarium with all three. Same for an angelfish, guppy and betta. We used to have big tanks with angelfish, neon tetras and little catfish growing up, so it would be cool to have multi fish aquariums like that. :)

Also, some kind of massive tank for large ocean fish so you could decorate a room like a villain lair with your own shark tank.