Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm definitely going digital purchase for AC. I kind of abandoned my New Leaf town when I swapped carts to play something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Wasn't it pretty easy in New Leaf to cycle through random layouts and pick one? It's not the same as terraforming but I am hoping for something like that. Did I hallucinate that in New Leaf?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

You had a choice of a few different layouts in New Leaf, but IIRC at some point you would have to choose one of the ones already presented to you or restart the game to get another selection.

I think I would be too paralyzed to start if I had the option to build the whole island from scratch. I'd be cool with terraforming a random island as long as I could do it at any point during the game too.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I wouldn't mind if we got a big DLC after a year. Like more bugs, fish, fossils, furniture, events, visitors, everything.

I cannot believe how mad I still am about Pocket Camp. I deleted it a long time ago.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Edit: Pokemon has exactly the same listing in its rating, presumably because you can buy the expansion directly from inside the game and they always intended you to. There are no other purchases or mtx mechanics in Pokemon to warrant needing that tag.

This was my follow up question. Thank you for answering it.

I'm feeling pretty tolerant towards Nintendo DLC right now. The Pokemon DLC sounds fine from the description. Something similar for Animal Crossing would probably also sound fine to me.

Pocket Camp microtransactions still make me irrationally angry just thinking about them.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I honestly don't think a $60 Switch game will be Pocket Camp but I am still so mad about Pocket Camp.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I guess I need a different name/town than Link/Hyrule this time around.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I found a good thing to say about Pocket Camp! I got to see a whole bunch of different villagers.

I never saw a bunch of different villagers playing the other games. I found most of them inoffensive enough to not force them to leave town so I didn't really cycle through neighbors.

My BFF in New Leaf was Lobo. I wouldn't let that cranky wolf leave town.

I'm not going to be Link again but I'll probably end up with some dumb pop culture reference. So far I'm trying to talk myself out of the following:

Paul / Arrakis
Jayne / Canton
LoneStar / Winnebago (The current leader)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ElTacoGato posted:

This is something I like about Pocket Camp as well. You get to see so many of the villagers, and between your camp + the cabin you can have a lot of favorites around all the time. There are so many different villagers in the main games - and I'm assuming New Horizons is adding more - that it would be nice if they made it easier to manage villagers. I wouldn't mind letting some move out now and again if there was an easy way to invite them to move back at any point.

I know what I want! I want the standard 8-ish villagers, with their houses and poo poo, AND a couple random other villagers visiting every day. And I can do favors for them so they'll like me and they might move in if one of the other villagers move out.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I played a lot of Pocket Camp and I'm still super mad about Pocket Camp.

I honestly only care about collecting things that I can check off of a list. Pocket Camp started having too many events that I couldn't complete without Leaf Tickets and then my catalog wasn't complete anymore. I hate it if there's a blank I can't fill.

Like with Pokemon, I'm good if I can check off the whole Pokedex but I don't care that I haven't seen all the shiny versions.

I'll be mad if I've got blanks from Pocket Camp.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

I too have been playingsuffering through pocket camp since day 1.

This was part of what finally broke me from the game. Most of the cool new stuff was in the fortune cookies, or costs tickets as part of events. Between that and having the level caps constantly raised I finally burned out hard about a month ago.

I still log in each day though to collect any freebies, because I was afraid of what the cross-promotion with New Horizons would entail.

I did link Pocket Camp to my Nintendo Account. Maybe that's enough to get the freebies? If it is, I'm fine. If you actually need to accomplish things in Pocket Camp to make things happen in New Horizons, then I'll be mad.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Owning it digitally is worth :10bux: to me.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Looks like this does have a gender option but (a) it does say "setting" with no mention of "gender" anywhere (b) you can still probably change it at any time, so

I'm disappointed.

I think you can toggle back and forth in Pocket Camp? I don't remember what it does though, maybe someone will check. Are there different options? If so, it could lock you out of certain combinations of options.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I ordered these stickers ages ago and they took long enough that I completely forgot where or why I bought em, but all of a sudden they're relevant again...sorta wondering how a switch would fare with stickers plastered to it.

I imagine it'll be fine with regular stickers.

I put a skin from decalgirl.com on my Switch Lite. I put a skin on everything.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My town may end up being Burgville.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Jawdins posted:

All of my digital only games require a WiFi connection to phone home before launch. I assume AC is no different? Going with the cartridge if so.

I thought it only had to phone home once a week on your primary console? I haven't had a problem playing any digital games without internet yet.

YMMV, but I've used my phone as a hotspot to play some pokemon online when my internet went out.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's a good one. Or "Pen Island"

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to be a Racoon Goon

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Does this mean I no longer need to make my basement into a warehouse of 3-inventory wardrobes because holy poo poo if so.

Or has this been fixed since 2001 and I’m living in the past lol

How about storage for non-clothing items? I’m a bit of a hoarder and that never bade particularly well in GC Animal Crossing...

I'm hoping for infinite inventory furniture. A couple of different types would be fine though.

I seem to remember Wild World had an inventory for each furniture. I had a bunch of lockers in my basement but I had shirts in my dresser upstairs.

New Leaf had one giant inventory that could be accessed from any of storage furniture but once it was full you were kind of screwed on space.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

So many new outfits and I'm just going to wear jeans and a hoodie all the time.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

From the Switch thread.

Your Computer posted:

https://twitter.com/saltlickbeau/status/1235629175945469952?s=21

video games are good, finally

e: to be clear this is not sarcasm, I think this owns

I'm going to have to reset if I don't get cherries or apples.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't care what fruit I start with because clearly there's enough of us here that we'll all have all of them as soon as multiplayer is available if it's not day one :3:

Yeah, but even if chop all my peach trees down and replant, I'll still have this:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I will do whatever it takes to have a plump juicy 🍑 on my passport

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

🍎🍒>>>🍊🍐>🍑

I'll happily be Appleton.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Beautiful!

We'll have to make a flag too!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm going to make new friends. There's a couple of villagers that just look too stupid to keep around but I can probably chase them off.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I don't remember any villagers from Wild World or the GC but Lobo was one of my starting villagers in New Leaf and I decided he was my BFF. I don't really remember the other ones though.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Gripweed posted:

If you can't come up with a name on your own you have to roll on this chart and accept what you get. That's the rule

I can live with Claw Worm Island.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Zodack posted:

Honestly can't decide over pre-load digital or a physical copy. I get physical copies of games I really like, but digitally means I can play sooner.

... except starting the game at midnight Thursday night seems antithetical to the vibes of the game. Starting out with Nook on the island at midnight? That doesn't make much sense.

I think I might have to boot this up for Thursday midnight.

Edit: Gangtag acquired! Did my av get borked?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

The NookPhone has Instagram filters, evidently. Digging the frame and LED dates, that brings back memories for sure.

https://twitter.com/animalcrossing/status/1237393878950359047

Is there an easy way to share screenshots? Do I need to make a twitter?

Infinitum posted:

I'm back on my bullshit (Queuing up gangtags that is)

Can you fix my borked avatar?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Infinitum posted:

If you have HTML in your avatar, why do you hate me?

Is it because I bought my avatar in 2004?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Squats posted:

I'm going to plaster my drat bulletin board with so many hyper realistic dick renders you have no idea. :awesome: (I will not do this to any other islands I visit unless the host specifically encourages it.)

:perfect:

So who is going to name their island BONE ZONE and fill it with fossils and/or dicks?

Infinitum posted:

So heeeeeeeey VideoGames made me an IK for realises.

Neat! Thanks for fixing my busted avatar.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I need a cranky villager.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Squats posted:

Are "Jewels" and "Levi" people in this thread? I got friend requests from them but don't see those names on the spreadsheet. Alternately is there a way to see the FC of a person who sent you a request on your Switch?

Yeah. I added everyone on the spreadsheet but I didn't add myself to it yet.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Lame. I have to reinstall Pocket Camp.

I already had it linked to my Nintendo account so it's relatively painless. Just taking forever to download the save data.

queeb posted:

how good are these games without internet? i mostly use my switch on the go, and this seems like a good as hell chill game i can play when on the road

I didn't have wifi at home when I played Wild World on the DS and it's perfectly fine. I did trek down to a coffee shop to use the wifi there for trading turnips and that was fun too.

I think as long as you can connect to the internet whenever there's a new patch, you'll have fun.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

People are talking strats and Before I Start type stuff; as an AC series newbie do I have to think about any of this

You can decide what you want to name yourself and your island.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I reset for apples or cherries and got apples. Also a blue airport with Reneigh and Mac as neighbors. I think I'm good to go!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I only shake trees with my net out, precisely lined up to catch that bee or wasp before it gets me.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I went to 2 islands and invited Vesta and Drago to move to my island.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Khanstant posted:

One of my houses needed furniture made from my native oranges. Is this because an orange furniture loving friend is moving in, or does this quest always have a native furniture quest component?

It must be native. Mine needed apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

I went to three islands, only talked to one villager (Skye), and now Tom Nook has me setting up three houses. Weird.

Yeah, I talked to 2 and then got the house set up.