Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wondered why my local GP started wearing this;

Because they're rad as gently caress, I'd assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm currently looking to buy a flat/house. One issue I'm having is that I really don't want to buy a place with tenants and kick them out, but holy poo poo is it difficult to find places that aren't tenanted near city centres. Do ya'll think it's not super lovely if I give them enough warning and probably lower the rent for the duration they're still staying there?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Getting rid of tenants can take *forever* if they know their rights and you don't follow the correct procedure to the absolute letter, and even then it might take months. Also, if you need a mortgage then you'll have to get a BTL mortgage as you need vacant possession for a standard mortgage. It's a huge nightmare and I wouldn't recommend it.

My mortgage situation is sorted, so this is really about the morality of the whole thing than the pragmatics. I'm currently renting but I don't mind it taking months as long as my current place doesn't insist on a full year's contract and lets me roll with a couple of months notice before leaving.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

IANAL, but isn't, "It's my house, and I'd like to live in it now" one of the easiest ways to get tenants out?

Pretty much. Two month's notice and that's it if done properly as far as I'm aware. The issue is that I don't want to be a massive loving rear end in a top hat and kick people out onto the street with 2 month's notice and even the thought of giving them a full year doesn't sit well with me because I am still kicking people out of their home. Yes, it could happen for lots of other reasons, especially if the place is for sale, but that doesn't mean I want to be the one doing it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I've been here for a while though??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I wear shoes in the house because feet are disgusting you horrible sex weirds

Feet are disgusting and my sexual habits are none of your business but still take your shoes off (but not socks) in the house.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It does mean an extra border between Miftan and your feet.

I guess Naptime is now pro-indy.

Oh dear me posted:

Socks are not an odour- or sweat-proof barrier. I'd rather people traipsed a bit of mud onto my floors, at least I can sweep that up.

You'd hope people would be self aware enough not to take them off right after the gym, yes. It's not like this is a hot country and that thing is just standard, though if it is for someone for some reason I can understand that.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

^socks are but one layer, two is better than one

Stop trying to reduce the obstacles between you and my feet :mad:

Just wait until you hear how we're recording the live episode :heysexy:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

:gonk:

Thankfully feet aren’t nation states so it’s actually about quarantining horrible and disgusting things from people, until we can find out a way to replace them with comedy springs

We're replacing nigel farage with comedy springs???

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Chocolate Orange supremecy! Down with the non-believers!

:wrong:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

mrpwase posted:

And yet you have a Chocolate Orange avatar! I am very smart.

Oof, you got me where it hurts (right in the chocolate orange)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So if travellers trespass the police are just gonna seize their legally owned vehicles/homes? God is this the next 5 years? Just a quiet nonchalant slide into fascism.

I've already seen the police do this for homeless people for years. I had to beg them to leave a note to tell that person where they can pick up their stuff.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Other than the emphatic victory bit that's not what he's saying at all. Not to defend Mirvis who is a giant loving rear end, but he has worded it very carefully to sound reasonable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Wollewert's

Bwatwurst

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanford posted:

I realise things are somewhat bleak on the politics front atm, but a local (Tory) parish councillor now apparently hates me so much his response to my recent letter was to shout “I’ve had enough of bloody [Sanford]!” and bang his fist on the table, inviting a reprimand from the clerk. It’s the little things.

In my head he also turned bright red as he did that.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I do not like the direction this thread has taken today.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Surprise T Rex posted:

How does a bidet/shattaf actually work? Surely it either has enough pressure to sort of hose the poo off (and thus potentially spray water everywhere) or it just sort of moistens your bumhole and still needs wiping but then you have to deal with soggy loo roll falling to bits.

I am ignorant in the ways of the arse hose.

E: sorry miftan

It's got enough pressure to get the poo poo off your rear end, but not to rip your anus apart hth

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Aw, man, I told you guys to get in touch with me when you did your Toby Young episode...

I've been instructed to inform you that this is not the Toby Young episode (also we recorded it ages ago but have just now put it out)

forkboy84 posted:

Oh cool, the Toby Young episode!

Again, for various reasons we can neither confirm nor deny that this is a Toby Young episode. :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I said it last year back when you first threatened to do a Toby Young episode on the podcast.

In that case we completely forgot because we are a professional and put together enterprise. Apologies! You should still come on! If you have any idea for an ep you'd be interested in doing let us know and we can probably swing it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

We should do an ep about royal nonces tbh

Stop trying to kill our editor!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The best way to not let the far right pose as free speech martyrs is to treat their views as legitimate points to be debated. I am very smart.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ukle posted:

Any teachers hearing the same re school closures. Have a relative who texted me to say her school is now likely to be closed from Monday, I would assume this is nationwide.

Jedit posted:

If schools are closing it will be on an authority by authority basis. I haven't heard anything about closures in Aberdeenshire yet, and I would expect to hear that within an hour of an announcement.

What Jedit said. I work for a teaching union and haven't heard anything yet, so nothing official is happening at the moment.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Looks like the plan for basically every event is "wait for the government to cancel poo poo otherwise we lose our deposits" which is... A really bad plan. You're playing chicken with Johnson and the stakes are deposits / lives. Hopefully people will be reasonable and cancel events even if the government doesn't order them to before they're scheduled to happen.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

oxford_town posted:

Stay safe, goons.

You too mate.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bardeh posted:

There's a new Path of Exile league starting tonight, the new Half Life game is out soon, and I still haven't been asked to work from home, just a vague suggestion from my supervisor that I concentrate on site-based work to build up a backlog of office-based stuff.

new Animal Crossing is out on the 20th.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

No lie, while I know it's unthinkable for london, just the general image of urban areas being deserted to me is just "yeah it's after five, it does that"

The absolute wildest thing about this to me is that if I ever see a high street with no people I just assume the world has ended, and yet I still have far more in common with you than basically anyone who lives in Zone 1 in London.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I live in Zone 1 and every day is like Sunday morning now. It's kinda ominous.

I apologise for generalising about everyone in zone 1 (zone 2 4 lyfe)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen quite a few tweets about city centers getting invaded by boars/deer because there are no people around to keep them out.

That's just how the rural USA operates without covid-19

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

......It's magnets up his bum, isn't it.

Do you know how hard it is to get a magnet with a flared base?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Wachter posted:

Mocking this dude is really mean-spirited. Every year dozens of doctors end up in casualty with amateur telescopes jammed up their bums, but you don't see anyone taking the piss out of them now do you?

That's just because we haven't been aware of it, tbh.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Miftan is still alive :toot:

I was getting worried this past few days and hoped you were just insanely busy with whatever it is that happens when the country falls into disorganized chaos.

e: or

Half that and half planning a D&D game, which we'll hopefully be streaming/recording for the pod to amuse people in quarantine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

That's got to be them thrown out of the EU, surely?

I envy your optimism.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Extremely TFTMJRM voice:

That's *SIR* John Air-Pollution, inventor of air pollution.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That's how I'm handling it. Also 2 separate D&D groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

that's Spider-Boy himself Gavin Williamson and he's less a film baddie and more a Scooby-Doo villain

Who, to be fair, definitely wishes he could be a supervillian.