Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think anyone who feels this is a PR stunt are too deep in the "Tories as PR masterminds" hole. At best, his condition is bad but not as bad as the average admittied patient but he's being put on oxygen by an abundance of caution for the prime minister. Doubt he'll be ventilated but think he'll just be on supplementary oxygen for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Running away from labour the moment you lose a vote is exactly what we mocked the melts for in 2015, don't do it now. If Starmer starts pushing policy you can't support sure, but he's not even turned his coat yet?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

peanut- posted:

I’m old enough to remember when Russian media reported this four hours ago and the government publicly called it “disinformation”

They reported it yesterday, when it wasn't true. Their predictions subsequently happening doesn't not make an earlier report bullshit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jabby posted:

That's the opposite of what I think we should be doing though.

People are sick of campaigns and promises. They don't trust the left to deliver on anything. As much as I don't think volunteering and charity work are the way to solve systemic problems (that needs a decent government) we need to demonstrate to people that we actually give a poo poo about improving things. Open and run food banks. Organise community assistance schemes. Go shopping for old people. Anything that we can attach the Momentum/Labour brand to that makes it obvious we don't just want power.

If all momentum want to do is signal-boost campaigns that's fine, but they did it all through the election and it didn't amount to anything.

I don't think this will work either - those elements are just too small and local in nature to lead to systematic change or mass opinion shifts, which is what leads to the most good in the end. Honestly, I'd say we need to double down on spreading those kind of messages and campaigns at the 20's and below demographics - get ideas lodged there firmly before establishment media catches up on bringing that group into the failed neoliberial consensus.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jose posted:

singapore is on their second outbreak after relaxing the lock down

Singapore didn't go into lockdown till last weekend - I was living there till mid-march and life went on as normal with some canceled events for feb/march. They actually have an outbreak now, mostly because of singaporians going to europe/USA catching covid and bringing it home with them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Chucat posted:

I was sorta thinking this, but then I thought it was my paranoid brain coming up with some sort of reason for a 'fix'.

It's this, not every has a reason or a plan behind it. The resilience of capitalism is that it is in the class interests of capitalists to defend it so they will all independently, not that there is a shadowy cabal propping it up.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We put out a LGBT pride flag "in support of the NHS", to the annoyance of the neighbours, in cheery events of the day.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

21st century society is remarkably peaceful and averse to the use of direct violence, historically. Given the threat of violence has been vital in forcing changes, this has been detrimental to the left.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A friend's father was some sort of factory inspector and he went to a factory that did washing powder. He said all the different brands were filled by powder coming down the same pipe and then right at the end of the process, there was about a spoonful of a different powder added to to box for each brand and that was the only difference.
(Now, obviously I appreciate that a spoonful of something can make a difference with, say, poisons, but not, I believe, in the case of washing powder - except that eating washing powder can be poisonous but that is a different argument.)

Depends entirely on what is in the spoonful, small amounts of an extra additive can certainly make a chemical difference in how well the powder works. Whether that is actually the case, or it is cheaper to pay more for ads saving your powder works better when it doesn't do anything difference in practice, is a different matter.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Aramoro posted:

What will?

In the orthodox Marxist view, a shift in technology and productive capacity that makes capitalism unsustainable.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can always give it a shot. Having a interview to express your concerns and seeing what they say about them and the conditions are would at least allow you to reject it with firmer information, and it's not like you are pressed for time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think an interview could be valueable, in the sense of 'lets have a chat about what this work involves, the conditions, give you an oppertunity to ask questions etc' before starting jobs. However, since everything is now corportised , I doubt it would be that kind of useful exploration of the job and more 'tell me why you have a deep desire for picking fruit and being treated like poo poo'

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Work belongs at work - my home is the place I relax and play videogames. I don't want to have to pollute that with work life encroaching in, and with most houses not having a spare room for an office it would end up doing so.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Filboid Studge posted:

Yeah agreed.

I’m a union rep in a large-ish (c. 2,000 headcount) public sector body. We were in the fortunate position that we’d invested heavily in infrastructure and culture for agile working over the last few years- for office-based staff, 70% ish, there hasn’t been an infrastructure barrier.

Reps have been delegated the authority from our senior execs to bollock any manager who attempts to extract more work from their team members who can’t work their normal hours due to childcare etc. Our chief exec has been doing vlogs talking about how physically and emotionally difficult it’s been for her trying to do her job from her kitchen table with her family around.

It may not last forever, but there’s been a massive humanization of many people because their professional personas have been eroded. We’re seeing more mental health support groups appearing on internal social media, and directors are talking like humans about shared joys with young folk on the living wage. It’s really quite heartening.

This has all been possible because we spent about six years fighting to get the culture broadly right before the poo poo hit the fan, and absolutely rejected things like routine online surveillance of staff.

Met Office? I ask because it sounds similar and I'm starting a new job there soon, so nice to hear there's a union presence.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If he's going to be moving out short term, I'd tell him to stand his ground and tell the landlord he'll be moving at X, and as evictions are currently illegal he could stay longer if he wanted, so stuff it. Legally this isn't true, but it's not like the landlord is gonna get many new tenants atm. And since B hasn't paid a deposit, he could just trash the place out of spite if the landlord tried to push the issue.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

There isn't, and there can't be really. The only hope we have is that one of the ongoing drug trials finds that a drug is effective enough at treating it in vulnerable patients that the death toll from them getting infected drops to a low enough level we can tolerate, and we take measures to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Otherwise, there is no way to prevent them from catching a disease this fast spreading beyond developing herd immunity in the healthy population, or a vaccine.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

justcola posted:

It's hard to really comprehend deaths in the thousands, millions - I can't even look at a picture of more than 12 dots or so and aware of how many there are besides 'a lot'.

If it makes you feel any better though, just think of all the people you know, worked with, chatted to, people in films, on the internet, then imagine them all being dead. It's still nowhere near the number of casualties but it starts putting things into perspective and a reminder that the Tories did gently caress all about it.

The magic number is 4. Numbers up to 4 you can count without actively counting, as your brain just knows how many there are just by looking. Anything larger than that you have to actively think about. It leads to a neat trick about counting large groups is just count groups of 4 - you'll find you'll recognize them much faster than groups of 5.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Any evidence of that? Seems factoid

It's called Subitizing. It's the main difference in how humans can count and do math while animals can't.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I said 4, but it's not a hard cutoff more just what everyone can do. If I flash up a image of 4 apples in a basket for .1 of a second, 95% of people will be able to confidently say there was 4 apples. If I do the same for a 5 apple basket, less people will get it right, and they will be less confident in their guess. And so on for larger numbers - for 7 apples most people will just guess something in the 5-9 range etc.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

pitch a fitness posted:

Yeah there's an old paper in Nature on this - that the subitizing capacity can be expanded after playing visaul-information dense video games

Nature posted:

When asked to report the number of squares briefly flashed, VGPs were able to apprehend more items at once than were NVGPs (4.9 versus 3.3). Overall, VGPs were significantly more accurate than NVGPs (78% versus 65%, P < 0.003) and, as expected, this difference only emerged for numbers above the subitizing range of NVGPs. Error bars denote s.e.m. (*P < 0.05, **P < 0.01)

Paper

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Before you go about banning air travel it might be better banning cargo ships since the top 15 of them produce as much pollution as all cars on earth.

Sulphur pollution, which while terrible for air quality, actually helps cool the planet down and slows climate change. Air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions are two different things, with different causes and fixing one is not the same as fixing the other. Ships use high-sulphur fuel which is a cheaper byproduct of the oil refining process, that cars can't use since it's bad for their much smaller engines. Car fuel has basically no sulphur in by comparison, hence the fact they don't produce any sulphur emissions, while belching out NOx and particulate matter that is also terrible for air quality [it's why london's air is so bad].

There's also the fact that international tourism is essentially wealth redistribution on a global scale - rich countries go to poor ones and spend their money there, so overall money flows from richer to poorer people. If you're not flying to greece for the beach, greece is a even more desperately poor country than it is currently - which links into coronavirus in that these countries will be hardest hit by the economic effects of the virus.

EDIT: Also, most of the sulphur emissions of a cargo ship are in the middle of an ocean, where the only people breathing the air are the crew. They only really contribute to air pollution in a few port cities, meanwhile cars are driving around city centres all day.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 26, 2020

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I mean what are the major causes of global warming?

I know that it's travel/ fuel burning in general, alongside heavy industries, but what else?

Have a fun graph

Note that it is 20 years old now, but it's a fairly good way to get a handle on the proportions of different things when it comes to global climate change.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Boris not making any decisions for the next two weeks might be a positive, actually. Stops him lifting lockdown.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can't believe a student is wearing a suit at a formal event, so atrocious. And making it a profile picture! Unforgivable - all profile pictures must contain flat caps and baggy jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Kier Starmer stance on Kashmir is like he heard the left likes non interventionism and applies it in the worse way possible.