Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oodles posted:

Some councils say they don’t take soil because it makes the bin too heavy, however our council doesn’t stipulate it being restricted.

If I can’t put it in the brown bin, what am I supposed to do with my soil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zugv1NdMj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Moonwolf posted:

Technically it only matters if you're having sex frequently enough, it certainly used to be banned forever though. O- is the one where they put you in a stupid named group where you can just bulldoze in and get appointments whenever, because it's rare and universally useful.

“frequently enough” is one way to put it
the rule’s 3 whole months

the lockdown will be relaxed before us gays become eligible to donate

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

i'm pretty sure being furloughed at one job is not impacted at all by you taking on another job if you wanted to.

Check it to be sure, but I'm fairly sure.

your employment contract almost certainly says you cannot take any other additional work without approval
in normal times when you’re on gardening leave at the end of one job, you couldn’t start your next job early
the government have been lobbied to put a specific override into law regarding the pandemic furlough fund, but have not done so yet

you might say it’s petty control freakery of your manager to block you taking other work while furloughed, but they’re probably also worried about you being unavailable if they want to take you off furlough at short notice. so I’d recommend speaking to them and getting written agreement first. or work cash in hand with no records and hope for the best

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Yesterday I was annoyed that it was Monday and therefore not the weekend anymore. Now it's Thursday.

I genuinely thought this was a funny joke cos it’s Wednesday

gently caress

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My wife's employer seem to think they are going to furlough some people for three weeks, the bring them back, and furlough a different group of people for 3 weeks, bring them back etc

That isn't how it works surely?

why not?
if you’ve only got half the work to be doing it makes more sense to rotate half the staff on/off than leave some permanently on full workload and some on zero

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Labour have had all 3 candidates pre-record victory speeches for tomorrow. instead of just live streaming the winner.
this is disappointing, I want to see what Starmer’s got strategically placed on the bookcase like every middle management twat showing off in the conference call

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

delete your twitter account and un-bookmark the website

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

Who was that debt payable to?

the treasury
our government haven’t quite gotten to the point of writing off privately held debt yet

give it a couple weeks

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1246337780155850752

Do these people even read their own government's briefings?

she left for change uk remember

funny times

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

the only way Starmer’s joining a national unity government is if so many MPs drop dead from the corona it’s the only way to keep the executive going

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jose posted:

The letter was published 3 minutes after the results were announced

a letter written by Johnson in which he pointedly does not offer a government of national unity?
what’s your loving point?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Actually it was a few minutes before - not that that mattered, they knew who was going to win

an hour before. but who’s counting?

people getting angry about something that happens only in their imagination and isn’t even a possibility on the horizon are just looking for an excuse to direct their anger onto something

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/EdRooksby/status/1246394114784010242?s=20

Dat Shadow Cabinet of None of the Talents going to come together nicely

lol such transparent begging.

she’s never even had a junior role above PPS, and asks to jump straight into shadow cabinet?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jabby posted:

They don't need one, it's just their least worst option. They know it will help confer legitimacy on Starmer's Labour after they spent so long trying to remove it from Corbyn. But they are desperate to avoid carrying the can for this gently caress up.

And if they offer one, Labour's least worst option is to sign up and then heap blame on the Tories for their initial response prior to the outbreak hitting critical levels.

why do you think forming a government of national unity is less worse than continuing with their large majority to govern alone?

you don’t see it happening in other countries affected as badly or worse by the pandemic. as bad as this gets, it’s not an existential threat to the UK itself

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Prince John posted:

Doesn't this kind of headline normally result from being asked a leading question by the interviewer? I mean, if I was asked, I'd say yes, and I've got even less experience than Philips. She's not gonna say no, because it makes any politician look like they don't want to be making a difference in people's lives.

you’re probably right. I don’t have Sky to check the actual interview.
oh god, I’ve been unfair to Jess Philips. this is a new personal low

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really sure how else to look at it? If you support it why not sign it? If you don't sign it, does it not raise questions as to whether you support it?

politicians have been capable of setting out their positions without signing up to these sort of third party pledge cards before
sign one and not only do you invite an endless stream of every other campaign demanding you sign yours too, but you’re holding yourself hostage to interpretations of the text that might be a lot stricter than what you intended.

I think we know that for all his faults, Starmer isn’t going to do an Orban in the unlikely event Labour take absolute power. pledge card or no pledge card

e: no that sounded too glib. obviously there’s a wide ability to be poo poo on trans rights without being as bad as Orban. sorry.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 4, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I think the government would rather keep a good relationship with the Excel, host of annual DSEI exhibition

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

baffling that it’s taken this long

also lol at Johnson

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

blunt posted:

If Bojo dies does parliament have to reconvene to vote confidence in a new PM?

no

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Kin posted:

Well yeah, i got that part, but how did she get caught?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11330196/coronavirus-scotland-catherine-calderwood-chief-medic-covid-19/
original Sun article doesn’t say who tipped them off. but quotes “a source” who sounds like a pissed off neighbour.
looks like they’d sent their own photographer to catch her, rather than reposting something off Twitter so I’d 99% guess the neighbour tipped them off after the first visit, then Calderwood was stupid enough to go down again the next weekend

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm asking the question already knowing the answer in my heart, but you can't get UC/JSA if you quit your job, can you? Even if you quit because your company is forcing you not only to come in to work when there's nothing to do, but threatening to dock your wages if you're not in exactly 9-5 even though that means you have to travel on public transport at the busiest time?

you can claim straight away, but if the DWP don’t accept that your reason for quitting was good enough your first 3 months will be sanctioned.
no idea how the situation you’ve described would play out. but if they can afford the 20% pay cut for going on the government furlough scheme that could be a better option if the company accepts the suggestion

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I don't remember Labour ruling this out? EU Freedom Of Movement all caps was always going to go, unless we cancelled Brexit altogether. Labour stated this as a matter of fact, not something to be revelling in the streets about. 'A Common Market' New Immigration Agreement wasn't, as far as I'm aware, off the table.

Of course, it's all a bit academic now.

no, not a fact.
Norway, Iceland & Switzerland are not member states, but have EU Freedom Of Movement with all those capital letters through the EEA or bilateral treaty

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

fwiw our management are working on a projection that Sept 2020 entry cohort will be generating 40% less in tuition fee income than planned
although these are also the management whose contingency plan for campus closure before now assumed two weeks max so possibly optimistic lol

we’ve been ordered to take rotating furloughs through the team even though it’s back office stuff not affected by campus closing
plus all the usual stuff from a budget crisis like cap-ex budget reduced to zero, all hiring frozen, voluntary redundancies to be started soon, management taking paycuts

there is no money to refund students, barring a giant loving miracle.

there’s a lot of unis in worse shape than us. going to be bankruptcies

e: to add, it really sucks that you’re not getting the face-to-face teaching you expected when you signed up. but the teaching that you are getting isn’t costing the uni any less to provide unfortunately

Cerv fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 7, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jakabite posted:

This last part shouldn't matter and we wouldn't let this be a reasonable excuse for any other business or institution - if the unis are struggling they need to be putting pressure on government. This is how I see a lot of this working tbh - consumers/workers put pressure on organisations and those organisations push the pressure up the chain, with the ideal being the government eventually being forced to levy a massive temporaroy (or not) tax on mega-corps. Well, that or a breakdown of capitalist society into successful anarchism but I don't think the population is ideologically primed for that.

pretty much agree, it shouldn’t work like this
and wish best of luck to student unions who I assume are organising for putting pressure on for a change of tack

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As I thought. I suspect they will claim he is paid a month in advance to get around this.

not really something there can be an argument about. either he’s been paid in arrears or in advance before. or half n half, some places do that.
get him to check what his contract says, but also you can just go off history of previous payments.

if they have hosed up and done it wrong, that’s blatantly illegal. best of luck getting that sorted quickly

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

coop this morning had a sign by the till asking “please consider if your lottery ticket / scratch card is really an essential purchase”

if we come out of this crisis with a permanent cultural shift from ‘the customer is always’ right to passively aggressively telling your customers to gently caress off, that’d be a silver lining
I look forward to being able to do that

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Catzilla posted:

My local coop will only sell lucky dip lottery tickets now. I think as a knock on effect, there maybe a huge shortfall in funding to the arts, culture and museums sector as lottery revenues plummet.

I expect you’re right. unless most people just shift to buying their tickets online.

bad timing when it’s exactly now that the Arts Council will need more money to bail out orgs hit by losing all ticket sales, that the AC would have less money not more.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Perhaps the shops can stop selling things that they think aren't essential?

with an attitude like that you’ll never get high in management

I’m sure the cashiers would love to, and give over the space to something useful instead

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is the taking the hat off thing some hangover from like suits of armour or something? I mean otherwise why does it matter if a dead body sees me with a hat on?

like most things around funerals it’s not for the benefit of the deceased, it’s for the bereaved. you’re showing a mark of respect. so making a deliberate point to not do it has no purpose other than disrespect. maybe it is a pointless tradition, but that’s not a hill worth dying on.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jippa posted:

I don't think being an island helps because planes/boats/tunnels exist.

are you Gavin Williamson?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not specifically been asked to remove it, but apparently fascist and white nationalist sites are putting up names of people mentioned.
I agree the report definitely needs to come to public attention, but first blacking out the names of innocent people in all this might have been a good idea.
no might about it.
whoever publicly distributed the report originally could easily have blacked out the names
there’s a reason newspapers getting the report would’ve done that in whatever excerpts they published
congrats to the leaker on being shite like Wikileaks I guess

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

What in the name of jays flute is going on that Piers loving Morgan is the guy actually bringing up objective reality in support of the health service?
I'm in full cognitive dissonance here.

he’s nothing but a populist banging a drum. and right now the health service as a concept is popular with the general public, even people who’d normally not give a poo poo and vote to cut it.
as soon as the crisis subsides he’ll go back to never mentioning any of this.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's a bath, rather than Africa, so it's not a direct comparison,

the brass eye comeback is shaping up well so far

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

interesting update on the state of farm labour in the UK

https://www.ft.com/content/0419885b-e865-4e27-8716-b819e046b3e3

quote:

Farms use charter flights to bring seasonal workers to UK

Local recruitment bearing fruit but migrant staff needed to help train new labourers

UK farms and recruiters are turning to charter flights to bring in seasonal migrant workers to ensure the spring and summer harvest can proceed despite the coronavirus crisis.

G’s Fresh, a leading produce supplier, has chartered an aeroplane on Thursday to transport 150 workers from Romania, which has banned all scheduled flights. Air Charter Service (ACS), the company providing the flight, said it was in discussions about another five potential flights to Britain before the end of June.

The flights are taking place in addition to large-scale campaigns to recruit UK residents, including those laid off from other sectors because of coronavirus.

Anthony Gardiner, marketing director at G’s Fresh, said a campaign to recruit local workers had been “extremely successful” but added: “The people coming tomorrow are our returnees who we offered contracts to at the end of last season. They’ve got established food hygiene and handling skills, also health and safety. We need these people to come back to support and train our UK workers.”

Pro Force, a recruiter for the farming and food sectors, said it was looking at charter flights from various countries in addition to local recruitment.

Britain normally recruits 70,000 to 80,000 migrant seasonal workers to harvest fruit and vegetables, many from eastern Europe, in addition to longer-term arrivals who work in sectors such as food processing.

But the pandemic has disrupted that pattern of travel: many scheduled air, train and bus services have been cancelled and some countries have closed their borders, while farmers say some workers fear catching coronavirus or being unable to return home if they travel.

Asparagus harvesting has already begun in the UK and the need for workers will increase in May as more crops ripen.

Matthew Purton, group commercial jets director at ACS, said seats on charter aircraft cost at least double those on scheduled flights. “This is a completely new line of business for us,” he said.

It is not clear who will cover the additional cost of the charter flights. Some recruiters and farms pass on the cost to workers, although G's did not specify whether it was doing so.

Pro Force said it would need to fill about 20,000 to 30,000 vacancies during the harvesting season and that about 4,000 people had applied in the UK so far, many of them laid off from sectors including hospitality and retail during the outbreak.

Siobhan Marsh, compliance manager at Pro Force, said the company wanted to fly in returnees on scheduled flights or, if necessary, on chartered aircraft. “We will prioritise our staff who have been trained and have been coming back for years,” she said.

Concordia, another big recruiter in the sector, said it had looked at charter flights but was focused on local recruitment, after 32,000 UK-based workers applied for jobs in what chief executive Stephanie Maurel called a “phenomenal” response.

Ms Maurel said she was “nervous that there might be an extra element of risk involved” with flights. “But this remains on the table — everything is on the table to support farms,” she said.

Images from Romania’s Cluj airport at the weekend showed people crammed into its departures hall awaiting flights to Germany, which is chartering planes to fly in thousands of workers. This raised concerns about potential coronavirus transmission.

Mr Purton said ACS was being helped by governments in reducing coronavirus infection risk and was taking measures including providing masks and hand sanitiser and ensuring flights are not completely full so that social distancing can take place.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 15, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

UK 2020: "the purchase of snacks and luxuries is still permitted”

quote:

Coronavirus lockdown: Police guidelines give 'reasonable excuses' to go out
By Danny Shaw Home affairs correspondent

Police have been told to stop people "home-working" in parks or sitting on a public bench for long periods of time.

Guidance to officers in England says neither activity is likely to be a "reasonable excuse" for someone to leave their home in the lockdown.

But the advice from police leaders and trainers says that people can move to a friend's address for a cooling-off period "following arguments at home".

It says such moves must be "genuine" and "measured in days, not hours".

The three-page document, entitled "what constitutes a reasonable excuse to leave the place where you live", is designed to help police enforce the emergency restrictions that came into effect three weeks ago and are set to be extended.

It has been produced by the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing, and appears to be drawn from guidelines issued by the Crown Prosecution Service.

But it has not been made public before - and suggests that some police have been applying the rules in the wrong way.

The regulations say householders can go outside if there's a "reasonable excuse", such as shopping for essential items, providing medical help and for exercise.

The guidance spells out what is "likely to be reasonable" for each of the key categories.

It says buying food for several days, including "luxury items and alcohol", is likely to be reasonable.

"There is no need for all of a person's shopping to be basic food supplies; the purchase of snacks and luxuries is still permitted," it says.

Last week, Northamptonshire Police Chief Constable Nick Adderley backtracked after threatening that his officers would start to look in people's shopping trolleys and baskets if they continued to flout the rules.

It also says people are not allowed to buy paint and brushes "simply to redecorate a kitchen" but can purchase tools and supplies to repair a fence "damaged in recent bad weather".

Exercise guidelines

On exercise, the guidance lists driving to the countryside for a walk as "reasonable" if "far more time" is spent walking than driving.

But it adds that driving for a "prolonged period with only brief exercise" is not reasonable.

That would appear to indicate that someone who drove for an hour to a beauty spot for a walk would not be contravening the rules.

Under the guidance, police are advised not to intervene if people stop to rest or eat lunch while on a long walk, but short walks to sit on a park bench are not allowed.

"A very short period of 'exercise' to excuse a long period of inactivity may mean that the person is not engaged in 'exercise' but in fact something else," the guidance says.

The document also clarifies that anyone can travel to work if it is not "reasonably possible" to work from home. However, it says it is not allowed for home-workers to "choose" to work in a park.

The College of Policing said the information was published for forces before the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

"It was designed to help officers remain consistent with criminal justice colleagues," a spokesman added.

annoyingly the article doesn’t link a copy of the doc. is it on the web somewhere?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ta

notable that exercise is specifically not limited to once per day. I’m sure that contradicts a specific statement by at least one cabinet member

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

peanut- posted:

Reads like the current owners came up with a nice scheme to completely shaft the staff and other creditors, but are instead likely to get wiped out themselves (by another group who may also be scummy).

put the company into liquidation on the assumption that no-one else would be interested in buying it. they get the assets (the brand basically) cheap, and the liabilities are gone. creditors are shafted getting only pennies on the pound. staff laid off cheaply. a cosy stitch-up.

but, now a rival bid has come in who are offering more cash and to pay the liabilities in full. so the independent liquidators, whose sole job is to find the best return for creditors, are obviously going to be taking that instead unless the current management can come up with something bigger to trump it.

good! I hope they learn an expensive lesson, and it serves as a warning to anyone else who thinks they can use one weird trick to escape their liabilities at everyone else’s expense.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

A year on, did Change UK change anything?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/19/a-year-on-did-change-uk-change-anything

Betteridge's law of headlines continues to hold

quote:

“It’s funny,” she [Soubry] says, with a laugh. “After the event, a very senior Labour politician said to me: ‘Why didn’t you just speak to me first and I would have told you what Chuka is like.’”

“very senior” not just “senior” has to be a small pool. is this Starmer you think?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

As for the media: I can't see a Corbyn-led Labour government not doing something to clean that house from 13th December.

do what exactly? they’re not passing any legislation over the xmas break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty excited for mandatory face masks to use public transport, because there will definitely be enough masks in a month to make that viable. (Also, where am I meant to buy one without first being able to go on the bus to town?)

home delivery?

the japanses government posted washable, reusable masks to every household. Johnson might tell you just to buy your own off amazon