Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So our social distancing is by the numbers not doing anything, 20% need hospital, the hospitals are full, and 80% will be infected. 20% of 80% of the US population is 50M dead, why is no one talking about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Beacuse you just made those numbers up? Nobody is talking about 50M dead because that's not a reasonable prediction

Why is it not a reasonable prediction, even in young healthy ppl 20% need hospital which lol, and it's supposed to infect pretty much everyone

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

the corona cases are being massively undercounted because we're only testing the worst cases (and today NYC changed policy to test only hospitalized cases), a huge chunk of people are riding it out at home or are just simply asymptomatic

I wouldn't take that 20% number as applicable to all American cases

I thought 20% was based on poo poo where we had better info too, not just the rolling average of US cases where if you look at it it seems like the virus is mutating to be more severe due to what you mentioned

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

the virus is not mutating

I'm saying the 20% has been consistent, but if you look at US numbers it's rising every day due to under testing, so obviously it's not going to be like 100% hospitalization bc ny is only testing in hospitals

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

no we don't actually know how many people have contracted it. you only get tested (esp in the US) if you're really sick and have been exposed to it. the 20% number is not something you can really extrapolate from.

it's bad to be sure but don't extrapolate too much on very limited data, you'll drive yourself crazy

20% held in SK also though right? That's not crazy really.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/DanielleB104/status/1245186965101780999

It's gonna be like this every day until the end of the year

It's going to be like this in the States until there's a vaccine bc our lockdown has utterly failed.

5-7 years average lifecycle lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Because requires hospitalization doesn't mean dead

It does if there's no hospital or it wouldn't require hospitalization

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

err posted:

Prester Jane was right, they were burning bodies in mass graves

Pj is nuts and this is some Trump spook bullshit, China obviously has done a good job

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, the hospitals will get overloaded.

Yes, healthcare providers will have to make hard decisions about who can be saved.

Yes, many people will die at home because they don't want or can't afford to go to the hospital, or just because our culture has trained people not to go to hospitals because it's unaffordable.

No, 50 million people won't need hospitalization.

Yes, people will die who otherwise might survive if the hospital system weren't overloaded, but there won't be 50 million of them.

Past a certain point it's not "hard decisions" it's "all healthcare is a statistically irrelevant blip"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

You know that when people talk about the collapse of the medical system, they don't mean the hospitals will literally collapse, right?

Hospitals won't be able to provide care for everyone who needs it, and the care they can provide will be substandard. Which is very bad! A lot of people will die! But to say that literally everyone who requires hospitalization will die is just dumb.

If you have a thousand times as many severe cases as beds, you can basically say they don't exist

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

what's with everyone's obsession with burning bodies

if it was easy the US would be doing that instead of using slaves to dig graves

I have no idea why we're doing that either, it's an industrial society, you could bury the entire population if you wanted to with no desperation tactics, heavy equipment can dig holes faster than anything but the sea can fill them

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

NofrikinfuN posted:

we have the capability and should use it instead of filling plots of land with dead bodies forever

build public housing on those plots and store live bodies there

Cemeteries aren't like industrial sites, they're pretty easily remediated down the line.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

cool, confirmed roni case in my mom's office (she works at a nursing home)

That's like the platinum elite status of roni, a Confirmed Case

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nodelphi posted:

Not interested in the slap fight but our health system that encompasses 25 hospitals is seeing a more or less 20% hospitalization rate of patients diagnosed with Covid19. True there are probably others at home that don’t get diagnosed so the numbers may be off in that regard but otherwise 20% of those I diagnose needing the hospital is pretty dead on.

Yeah this is consistent with ny and iirc sk numbers which means inside a month setting foot outside will have worse than Russian roulette odds lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love to lock down the country and destroy all semblance of normal life for measures that are literally no better than everyone hanging out in a crowded bar or stadium lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

In the no-preventive-measures scenario, 50 million US deaths is not plausible, but 20m is.

Let's not kid ourselves, we're in that scenario. With the weird panic buying sprees and plague bearing delivery guys and everything being essential we're probably actually worsening it vs do nothing

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

The current measures are absolutely better than nothing. My prediction is 0.5-4 million deaths. I think 0.5m is achievable if we get 2/3 of:
1) enforced lockdown in all metro areas
2) an effective treatment/prophylaxis protocol cobbled together from widely available drugs
3) a functional system for contact tracing and proactive testing

1) is wholly partisan and impossible here
2) will only happen if they can use it to pump ppl full of mabs every yr to make corona debt the new college debt
3) is just a pipe dream

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

is there any doubt that China is underreporting (along with most if not all other countries due to a wide variety of reasons)?

They no longer have exponential growth so they've won and the cases might as well be zero vs here where they might as well be infinite

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So italy is at 12k/day now?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If our social distancing isn't doing anything people are going to just go back outside and the won't even be wrong

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Notice that even like every single decrepit eastern european klepto state has easily controlled this lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Durf posted:

SK owns

any numbers from North Korea yet or have they gone dark like in World War Z

I think they're reporting zero cases but have locked down anyway

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mummy Xzibit posted:

My family friend/union brother that died was, at least per his Facebook, doing all the right things in terms of social distancing/staying at home as of several weeks ago.

Yeah I think it's in the air or water or something in America right or else social distancing would actually do something

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

there was a report (that doctor fauci got super mad at yesterday, lol) that the virus actually can travel something like 20+ feet with coughing and all which almost certainly means it's airborne

Which means if someone even walks by your house...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mummy Xzibit posted:

They can't launch them without federal authorization, correct? Unless we're still doing the "hey we just got the code, let's grab our keys" thing.

The locks are basically to keep out infantrymen who have overrun the place, not an entire new nation with lots of materiel and expertise

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MadJackal posted:

Made a re-do of Day 9 since that update turned into a standalone short fiction-ish thing.

Love these posts, sounds like truly mild cases are a myth or from bcg or something lmao we're hosed

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Yah he’s got weepy suicide written all over him

I hope he does it on tv during a presser

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hospital ships are of questionable utility bc if you can fly planes you can just fly everyone out of the war zone and if you can't then the enemy can just use their planes to take out your hospital ship

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

loving lol I just talked to somebody whose going on the USS Mercy. No active testing of inflow, they're being told to bring two weeks of clothing and will be locked into the wards/rooms or w/e for that duration. Where members have their areas and they can't travel around. They didn't mention any ppe and said they'd have to wash clothes in sinks lmfao.

This is incredibly dumber than stripping the boat down and installing the equipment in a larger and less open facility

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lokar posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahspain/status/1245469289408323586?s=21

my husband and I are having the “what if one/both of us dies” conversation

I need to write a will so my cats don’t wind up in a kill shelter.

lol death

Can't cats get it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cats can definitely get it and spread it and serve as a non human reservoir but no one knows yet how contagious they are to humans

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

But they're fine yeah? Because if it kills the cats then holy gently caress why aren't we stopping this thing already

It makes them quite sick I think?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lokar posted:

Cats can infect each other with coronavirus, Chinese study finds

my older cat likes to sneeze directly in my face, and the other hobo cat likes to lick my husband nostrils

Coming soon human fip lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

just lmao if the BCG map is actually a map of pet cats per capita, with the lower cat ownership countries having less COVID because they have fewer animal reservoirs crawling around their homes

Aren't italy and egypt both crawling with ferals

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dixville posted:

I mean i would be pretty sad if my cat died from diarrhea (or any reason really)but there are so many people dying, definitely more worried about that overall. But cats being a possible reservoir is somewhat worrisome. Luckily cats don't usually go out around other people to potentially spread it (unless they are coming to see the vet!), but if it gets into the feral population that could be different. Not that most people come within 6 feet of feral cats but they might poo poo somewhere and spread it that way.

Most people come within 20 feet of where an outdoor cat has been in the past several hours daily lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

We should switch strategies and focus on saving the cats

This is turbo hosed from a leftist perspective imo

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dog Toothbrush posted:

You guys would have been awesome during the pursuit of the Boston bomber. I bet blue jeans and women in pants have a better correlation than cats

They're also reservoirs but even more contagious so yes, but those risks are better understood

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The math of 20% dead without treatment including young people and America completely failing at social distancing is terrifying me to the point I can't even get out of bed in the morning, no one seems to be afraid enough at all even in here

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

D1E posted:

That math can't be right.

So don't worry about it.

Eat Arby's.

Why can't it be right? It's spreading completely unchecked despite a lockdown and 20% of cases will die without hospital, these are like obvious facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmaopocalypse posted:

Sucks if true but your numbers may yet be on the high side and it's just a skullfuck of a disaster.
Have you never played Russian roulette?

No because I'm a huge wimp and coward