Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What was once a little-noticed local epidemic in Wuhan has broken out of control and is now a worldwide pandemic infecting over 856,000 people (officially as of 3/31 23:59 UTC) and likely much more than that (unofficially). COVID-19 / SARS-nCoV-2 / Boomer Remover / Corona-chan / or just simply Corona sent stock markets across the world into a plummeting nosedive, put dozens of millions out of work, and is currently overwhelming hospitals all across the West.

There is no vaccine, and there will not be a vaccine for several months at the earliest. There is some speculation backed by studies that the BCG vaccine may be effective in protecting against the coronavirus, but this is not confirmed. Do not drink aquarium cleanser, or really anything Donald J. Trump tells you to drink. Unless you're wearing a full body seal, masks are more about preventing you from spreading illness than they are about preventing you from catching the virus. Wash your hands, keep several feet of physical distance between you and other people, avoid going out as much as possible, and stockpile beans.

WHAT'S GETTING CORONA LIKE?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

quote:

The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.*
  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:
  • Trouble breathing
  • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
  • New confusion or inability to arouse
  • Bluish lips or face
*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider by telephone for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/lost-smell-and-taste-hint-covid-19-can-target-the-nervous-system-67312

quote:

Laurenzi had heard anecdotally that many COVID-19 patients in Italy suffered from a loss of smell, so he started reading all the scientific papers he could find to see if his anosmia and ageusia would ever abate. One of the papers, a review published March 13, mentioned that SARS-CoV-2, like other coronaviruses such as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, could target the central nervous system, possibly infecting neurons in the nasal passage and disrupting the senses of smell and taste.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/Q4RBi0y.mp4

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Apr 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woofer posted:

:siren::siren:

can you post in the OP any resources or orgs where I can donate money to help people getting hosed over by coronavirus or the government response to coronavirus, preferably nurses or other healthcare workers

:siren::siren:

I have a job and it’s pretty safe so I feel obligated to help out.

gently caress, I knew I was missing something. I don't actually know of any, all the focus right now has been on Congress passing multi-trillion-dollar stimulus bills and disaster funding.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lmaopocalypse posted:

Your town or city likely has a mutual aid group on Facebook and if not you can start one.

Just getting word out about that and the concept of mutual aid is probably one of the best things you can do.

Thanks all, I've added some info to the OP about options to donate.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fits my needs posted:

what’s gonna be the best covid April fools joke

a vaccine is announced, but it for real causes autism

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LOL holy gently caress

:sickos:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CODChimera posted:

the numbers didn't go up very much over night. didn't even hit 900k

we still have 9 hours to go man

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

as an oregonian i am required to hate californians, but if california became its own country, i would 100% choose it over the USA

I proffer to you an cooperative alliance between the Great Lakes Union and the Pacific Coast Accord

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Inceltown posted:

Leper's Colony is kicking off

lol all 3 of these are mods

I wonder if it's a joke probo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Landlording really only requires that you have enough money to purchase a property and its business plan is extremely simple and easy to work out and its done via contract so you don't even really have to worry about competition so its the investment/business of choice for people with more money than sense.

Only suckers become actual landlords

The real money is in REITs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gum posted:

This is actually a thing. Lifelong landlords will often have no work history or marketable skills. They're terrified of losing their rental income because they would be absolutely hosed without it

by "absolutely hosed" do you mean "having to work the jobs I had to work"?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

alphabettitouretti posted:

How do you get bored in tyool 2020? There's books, movies, games, hobbies...oh, and the entire fuckin internet. Imagine if this had happened in the 80s or 70s, or any other decade where you didn't have everything the internet can offer.

:goonsay:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

Why the gently caress can't we keep a functional postal service

I know this was discussed yesterday but I wasn't paying attention

constant Republican sabotage

the USPS is a very powerful union and the organization itself is run very well and basically proves everything the Republicans say about government inefficiency and ineffectiveness totally and completely wrong

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

Why is it not a reasonable prediction, even in young healthy ppl 20% need hospital which lol, and it's supposed to infect pretty much everyone

the corona cases are being massively undercounted because we're only testing the worst cases (and today NYC changed policy to test only hospitalized cases), a huge chunk of people are riding it out at home or are just simply asymptomatic

I wouldn't take that 20% number as applicable to all American cases

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I 100% guarantee that if any poo poo actually does go down, 2nd Amendment nuts will go from "I need these guns to defend my family" to "I need these guns to take your poo poo and also get even with everyone who's ever snubbed me" in ten seconds flat.

That's exactly why they bought them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we're sitting at 885k worldwide cases btw. Strong chance we hit 900k in about a hour when the midday numbers come out

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

I thought 20% was based on poo poo where we had better info too, not just the rolling average of US cases where if you look at it it seems like the virus is mutating to be more severe due to what you mentioned

the virus is not mutating

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

- an out of work line cook

nice classism :discourse:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hospital administrators are determined to get every last ounce of bloody profit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

brugroffil posted:

is there any doubt that China is underreporting (along with most if not all other countries due to a wide variety of reasons)?

they are, but it doesn't really matter

American government is trying extremely hard to leverage blame on China to avoid culpability once this finishes running through the population. they have the foresight to do that but not to prepare the country for this :jerkbag:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren: 900,000 cases :siren:

45,300 deaths

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sit on my Facebook posted:

So how long until people just start looting grocery stores

Not for another month at minimum

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Taco Duck posted:

Big rear end boom sound here at my place I'm renting in Vegas. Military vehicles showing up with tons of cops now lol

Hell yeah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dixville posted:

Like imagine patients that are being seen for covid that have a history of suicide attempts or even just mental issues on general. Do they get the ventilator before someone without those issues? I guess it's kinda paranoid to think about (thanks mental illness) but also kinda valid? Gonna be facing some major ethical decisions it seems.

triaging is about determining what patients will be most likely to recover with treatment given limited resources and being forced to choose, not whether the patients will make 100% use of their newfound grip on life

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

somnambulist posted:

I was discharged from the hospital after being there for 5 days. I tested positive for Covid 19 , I was super sick for 2 weeks prior to going to hospital, I was trying to ride it out (I’m 35 , no health conditions) but I finally went to the ER and I had pneumonia in both lungs.

I’m resting at home again, I’m still loving scared and I’m not sure if I can just lay down in the same bed I was sick in. poo poo sucks guys, :(

lol sick for 20 days, gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the proud nation-state of florida

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

why the gently caress are airports paying rent

most major airports have been open at minimum a few decades now, they should be outright owning the land they're on by now

edit: this is for canada

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

If our social distancing isn't doing anything people are going to just go back outside and the won't even be wrong

gently caress that, I'm not going

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Colorado has southern California by the balls. You can balkanize but your water fee will now be our state budget.

Only true as long as California is wasting billions of gallons of water on stupid cash crops like almonds

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockade posted:

So if the US balkanizes over this how do you think all the regions will do?

Betting the great lakes area will be alright, we got fresh water and beans, which is everything you need for life.

More or less roughly sorted in "able to handle being an independent, self-sustaining governing body without immediate and obvious resource/political/stability crises" order

Pacific West > Great Lakes > Texas > New England > Mid-Atlantic Coast > Great Plains > Midwest > Florida > Deep South

specific order can be argued but broad sense should make sense

you want:

1. easy access to fresh water
2. active and available farming
3. sense of shared culture / regionalism
4. large and powerful state government able to extend and merge/absorb other governments to serve as a stable base, without having to compete with others of similar size/power

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

loving lol I just talked to somebody whose going on the USS Mercy. No active testing of inflow, they're being told to bring two weeks of clothing and will be locked into the wards/rooms or w/e for that duration. Where members have their areas and they can't travel around. They didn't mention any ppe and said they'd have to wash clothes in sinks lmfao.

NO MERCY!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Things don't look that bad, yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol my matches on okcupid and tinder have noticeably improved over the past couple weeks as people are increasingly driven to stay the gently caress at home

(not that it matters, I haven't gone on a date in over a year because of a combination of indifference and poverty, I keep this mostly out of curiosity)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Definitely broke my brain a bit thinking about how much covid has affected singers and musicians from famous people to choir groups.

So much of our social bonding is based around breath. It makes sense that physical distancing is ridiculously effective at stopping a respiratory disease like covid. But on the other hand, churches that refuse to close will kill more and more people with every hymn.

yet again American Sign Language demonstrates its superiority

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

don't eat at chain restaurants. give your patronage to locally owned places.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fascist hell demon cracker country

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rah! posted:

im sure there will be lots of those left in a few months lol

even better reason to give your custom to these places. my job was at a locally owned restaurant that operated profitably for 35 years before I was laid off a few weeks ago. it's an excellent place, honestly, really well run with managers who work alongside us employees. the depressing thought is that this is like wildly not the loving norm for usa because we are a fascist hell demon cracker country

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Man like... when I was working, I look forward to going to sleep. Respite. Recovery. All that poo poo

Now that I'm NOT working I'm like "gently caress, can I just skip to tomorrow morning?"

This quarantine sucks rear end and there's going to be 3 more months of this F U C K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

republicans are the dumbest, meanest loving people