Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Now there are two covid threads. In a few days there will be four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

So surely the CFR has to go down somewhat as doctors get more experience and gain better treatments right? Even in the old thread doctors were posting that they were having good results with certain therapies (IL6? I don't know what any of these mean) and while obviously they're not silver bullets there likely will be other therapies too that will together at least reduce the death rate?
They're just throwing random poo poo at it right now so I wouldn't hold my breath, but if any of the actual trials for stuff like the BCG vaccine or hydroxychloroquine get good results it might change.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

(IL6? I don't know what any of these mean)
IL6 isn't the treatment. IL6 mediates inflammation and may be involved in the "cytokine storm" that kills people later in the disease. The treatment is an anti-IL6 monoclonal antibody but even if that works it wouldn't be good to give it too early and it's probably hard to decide who to give it to. Plus I don't know how much hospitals actually have lying around in the first place (I guess it's a treatment for arthritis but I think monoclonal antibodies are pretty expensive in general?).

mystes
May 31, 2006

D1E posted:

loving LOL.

The people have absolutely no capability to think and plan ahead.

And they're in charge of the federal government.

I can't wait for them to line out 30 days and change it to 45.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thread title should be "One hundred years of social isolation" IMO.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dog Toothbrush posted:

haha it only kills olds, whoops
haha it only kills men, whoops
haha it only kills white people, whoops
First they came for the olds, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an old

mystes
May 31, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

omfg jared kushner is talking now on the presser
If only Trump had a dog, he could have the dog run one of the press conferences.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah i know my grumble could come across as WORK ETHIC but really we need ubi + automation + 20h week

there is zero reason a robot cannot make my whoppers, instead of some poor fuckin $7.50 an hour hispanic kid
Yeah but number would go up higher if we automated the whoppers and then just left the hispanic kid to die.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's cool when the unelected husband of the daughter of the president goes on an official white house press conference and lectures state governors for daring to think that they should get to use government emergency stockpiles in an emergency.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Isn't that exactly what the federal stockpile is for in times of emergency?
You mean Kushner and Ivanka's stockpile?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

the intent was that the boats would handle non-covid cases so that every other hospital could handle covid cases. Seems a little... not well planned
Hospital ships can have a little covid-19, as a treat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Roughly 4 people in Louisville have been fitted with ankle monitors for violating self-quarantine after testing positive and there's a judge whose only job right now is hearing these cases on-call so they can fit them with the monitors almost immediately. Apparently no where else in the US is doing this although its fairly common in Asia? The prison guard union's all up in arms about it because they haven't actually been charged with a crime but also its open and shut legally because its a court order and mandatory isolation is a power explicitly given to judges in our states public health laws once an emergency's been declared.
Is the prison guard union mad because they're confining people to their houses rather than jail?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe they'll find the WMDs from Iraq while they're at it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Still asymptomatic after 3 weeks in a house with 2 people with COVID-19 (who took advantage of the downtime to give themselves Epstein brain). Can I get an antibody test yet so I can go donate plasma, or should i wait for longer to make sure I don't infect the person taking my blood?
I don't think anyone can actually get an antibody test yet in the US unless you order a shady one from China or something?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

almost like 'productivity' doesn't measure what it says :hmmyes:
It measures how much you can do with how few employees. This is literally the definition.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean, sure it's meaningless in that sense as well, but ignoring that, the definition of productivity encourages having as few workers as possible in the first place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Um excuse me but why are tigers getting tested and not me I am an actual U.S. citizen who pays taxes
You're surprised the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party is prioritizing big cats for testing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

Is there another source for Boris being put on ventilator? The stories I'm seeing cite Sputnik
It's probably not true.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Woofer posted:

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/1246820763962875905?s=21

has anyone tried having a reasonable discussion with her about this yet :ohdear:
It seems like all she's saying is "be aware that many of the people on ventilators will die when doctors eventually try to remove them from the ventilators"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

If BoJo dies can that day become a holiday where everyone dresses up as herd animals every year?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gotta keep manufacturing zyklon b for Number.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rabble rabble posted:

why did they test the tiger for coronavirus
It's a celebrity.

mystes
May 31, 2006

KaptainKrunk posted:

lol that the US has been stuck at 100k tests per day forever
Not great, not terrible material for making stale Chernobyl jokes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sounds like he's about to make a no deal exit from this world.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

Don't waste money on a overpriced aerogarden, just build a DIY pvc hyroponic rig like this:

Easily scaled down or

Scale it up!

If you use really wide pipe you can grow real veggies like cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes etc

Extra bonus: you can grow weed in the big ones
Shouldn't you use a type of pipe other than pvc for safety?

mystes
May 31, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

how would I know if I got the BCG vaccine?
It leaves a mark.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

NEW YORK POST
Welfare queens are catching COVID so they can get a machine to breath for them. "It's just easier to than doing it myself" says mother of 6.
This is literally something some conservative was saying a week ago but I don't want to read a billion pages of the previous thread to find it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's too bad Trump is going to have to have you taken out to protect sales of hydroxychloroquine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sphyre posted:

offtopic but the name "johns hopkins" has always bothered me. thats two possessives. stop it
No, it's John Shopkins.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did anyone already post about Shkreli asking to be temporarily let out of prison so he can try to solve covid 19?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Oh good, I just landed a movie!

They want to start scouting in July. In New York.

gently caress me.
As long as it will end up being impossible, does it really matter what they intend right now anyway?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

lmao what the hell, he isnt doing anything to "handle" it but go on tv
He's trying to keep Trump from deciding coronavirus doesn't exist, which is a full time job.

mystes
May 31, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

the more you know. does Skype suck as much as Skype for Business does, worst piece of communications software I've ever used that one
Skype didn't suck that much before but they've done their best. Also Skype for Business is somehow a million times better than Teams, lol.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

he is now in the morgue, lol
Rest assured that he's still available to make decisions through a spirit medium.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mark immune posted:

Already got my TrumpBux but they hosed up and gave me $12,000, time to buy bitcoin
Is there a hydroxychloroquine cryptocurrency?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zeriel posted:

Pshh. They gave me 12,000,000 peasant. I'm going to hire a team of coders at minimum wage to make a ultra racist app targeted toward Republicans and double it by next week.
Lol if you aren't getting a trillion dollar bailout.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Agrajag posted:

ive driven past a few lots where car dealerships/manufacturers keep their inventory and they are all full (which normally they are at best 1/3rd filled)

also aint nobody buying a new car even in a years time id bet
Everyone with money isn't driving now and everyone who still has to drive probably doesn't have money for a new car.

I guess in an alternate universes when the economy was better people might buy new cars once the pandemic was over.

mystes
May 31, 2006

friendly 2 da void posted:

CIA KNEW ABOUT COVID-19 IN NOVEMBER 2019

is absolutely fake as gently caress

these assholes didn't say poo poo through Jan Feb March when the thing was spreading and now they're trying to rewrite history? FOH
I won't believe it until I read it in the official cia newsletter (the Washington Post).

mystes
May 31, 2006

twoday posted:

that's a bit of a crack but I don't hear the ping
A stray, uncracked kernel in the brain popcorn of CSPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

JohnLovely posted:

what are the rules as to non US posters itt?
Don't rub it in too much.