Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dubs backed Starmer didn't he? So it doesn't make sense that Starmer would try to block him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

sassassin posted:

Why do we always put lords and barons in charge of important inquiries?

Like putting a prisoner on a parole board.

Because they can't be fired so the theory is that they don't have any motivation to play politics. Also conceptually life peers are supposed to be people given the position because of talent or pre-eminence in their field (lol)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

That is an enormous clock.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I went for a drive earlier to keep the batteries charged (they died earlier in the week) and was a bit surprised by how many cars I saw, before realising that it was a bank holiday in a massive city so relatively speaking it was incredibly quiet.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Feeling nervous about the announcement lads.

Either he's going to try and hide that nothing has changed, causing mass confusion, or he's going to tell us all to get back to work as if nothing is happening.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

So I assume if you have a job where you can't work at home you should now go to with and abandon your children?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Cerv posted:

20.12 received panicked all-company email from the COO telling us all not to come into the office tomorrow.
Announcing this confused message on a Sunday evening was a stroke of genius.

Lol just had the same thing, we're desperately trying to share to all the work whatsapp groups

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Which were the unions proven to be complete shite by the labour leak?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It does look from the Financial Times data like Russia and Brazil are rapidly overtaking us in official COVID-19 deaths despite an even worse testing regimen, so we're probably not second in the world any more. We are almost certainly the worst in Europe, although Italy has been slow to release its excess death figures, and they look like they might be really bad.

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of Italians coming out of lockdown to find that a load of the people they work with are dead.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

bornbytheriver posted:

Friends, could you educate sadbrains about the North of England, what is happening there?

Exclusive: Virus persisting at higher rate in north of England: https://www.hsj.co.uk/coronavirus/exclusive-virus-persisting-at-higher-rate-in-north-of-england/7027621.article

The north of england is poorer than the south and the tories have spent decades systematically destroying our infrastructure and public services so that they can spend that money in the south.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Clap for the NHS!

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1260622071958306818?s=19

No not like that!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I earnestly hope that everyone involved in writing and printing this gets corona and has to lie alone on a hospital bed slowly drowning in the remains of their own lungs.

I'm honestly so disgusted. The government is cracking on with this knowing that is going to definitely kill teachers, will probably kill a lot of the kids' families, and will also kill at least a few kids.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Two german tv personalities "won" (in a gameshow) the right from their producers to have 15 minutes of airtime and full editorial privileges for whatever they wanted. Figured you guys might find it interesting, C or captions for english subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0P2k7zIb4

I've got family in germany and ended up watching one of their shows which was actually really entertaining.

German tv is surprisingly good but has some very weird formats. They'll just have a single show that will last 4 or 5 hours to fill up an entire evening programming slot. So like tuesday is one long game show from 8pm to 1am and then Wednesday is a cooking show.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Why the gently caress is the UKMT full of posts about American politics?

One thing I've really been noticing is that this whole coronavirus crisis seems to have destroyed whatever lingering trust was left in the BBC among people I know. I think their coverage of school re-opening in particular has just been so contrary to most people's experience and opinion it's become blatantly obvious they're just acting as a government mouthpiece.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Good post about a large erection.

So just to be clear, BT tower is currently empty and completely unused?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If your thirst for Cold War telecoms madness still isn't sated from that amazing post, please dig into the story of John Stonehouse.

Bullet points (and these are incredibly truncated, please read all about this man's absolutely ludicrous life): Labour MP in the Wilson government who eventually rose to the position of Postmaster General, became a spy for the Czechoslovakians, went to Miami, faked his own death Reggie Perrins-style, was found in Australia where he was investigated because they thought he might have been Lord Lucan.

I think the best part is that Labour's majority was so thin that they let him keep the whip and stay in parliament.

Our that he joined the SDP from prison.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Kin posted:

I've said this before but i feel like i'm in some kind of hosed up alternate reality where i prefer to switch over to GMB and Piers morgan tearing into the Government and Bojo every morning about the latest moral outrage.

Even with his cartoonish reactions and arrogant persona, he's a drat sight better than the dripping fart that's the BBC fellating the government and reporting of twee stories.

Did the Tories exclude him from a party or something?

Like this morning:
GMB: Segment aggressively tearing into conservative politicians for their hypocrisy over charging international health workers more money on top of their taxes
BBC: Segment on virtual magic tricks because a girls dad (a magician) died of Covid and now a teacher dressing up as pikachu and a bumblebee online to make school things more interesting.

It basically feels like Newsround for adults.

I think there is some beef from back when Piers was the editor of the Mirror and Boris was editing the Spectator.

Also worth remembering that for all his awful poo poo Piers Morgan has also historically had some good opinions, like his opposition to the Iraq War. Didn't he get fired from the Mirror because he refused to apologies to the army after accusing a bunch of soldiers or torturing Iraqi prisoners?

In conclusion Piers Morgan is a land of contrasts.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The way I've always eaten Halwa is to mix it with lemon juice and sort of make a paste of it. Maybe that's just a regional thing though?

If you're eating it dry you really need to have it with tea or something.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I was going with superior as in "big"

Also is there a reason it's a different colour on the Israeli side of the border on the satellite image? Like even the duney bit is like.. a dark grey colour. Looks like sea coal on the beach almost.

I imagine the Israeli side is higher def aerial photos and the egyptian side is lower definition satellite images? With more detail it would probably look darker.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I wondered that but it doesn't look like a photographic difference, the photographic oddities are visible on top of it. Wondered if it was some sort of agricultural project from the farms to the north.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@31.101483,34.3317247,14178m/data=!3m1!1e3

I think it might be a difference in time of day the photos were taken, as the Egyptian side has shorter shadows coming off the dunes, and a difference in cameras.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

She's utterly shameless. I kind of think she's deliberately trying to destroy whatever positive reputation the BBC has left.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Aramoro posted:

It only damages the reputation with people who already hate her, it makes no difference generally. People have been breathless crying about how shameless she is in this thread for years, this thread is significantly more extreme than the general population.

I think this might be the straw that broke the camels back. I know a fair few people at the beeb including one who is in a very public position and it's fair to say they are all extremely and openly pissed off with her this morning.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

What sort of dirt does Cummings have on the cabinet that they're all rushing to lick his boots.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Why are they keeping young people (who I assume aren't their children because then you'd call them that) locked in their house?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jose posted:

Lol that the attoruney general is telling everyone it's fine to do crimes to protect your kids

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1264174355975671810?s=19

Lol if I was a criminal defence barrister I'd definitely chance using this next week.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I think I've found the most searing hot take possible

https://twitter.com/CliveMitchell54/status/1264189444774596608?s=19

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mister Police, I gave you all the clues!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I think this is the first Tory to call for Cummings to go

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1264454424770076673?s=09

Be interesting how many more come out of the woodwork today

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I like that the intolerable thing is that they're losing political capital, not, like, the actual bad things.

I suppose if everyone else is saying the quiet pay loud he might as well ask why the gently caress they are we destroying their credibility for one man.

Also important to note that he really wants to end the lockdown and follow the "Swedish model"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Second Tory now, I think they're starting to sense blood on the water

https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1264468010196258817?s=09

E: I think they are setting up a "I did nothing wrong, but this story is distracting from the important business of government" resignation.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 24, 2020

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Pippa Crerrar just retweeted this, I'm fairly sure the mirror are going to drop another story as soon as he's done.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1264588804679139328?s=19

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, they had to choose between Cummings and the lockdown and they picked Cummings. poo poo's going to get wild when the second wave properly kicks off in a month's time.

I just went to walk my dog and there were about 3 groups of 20 people in the playing field boozing and having picnics. Next peak is probably going to start in about a fortnight.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264597652311879691?s=19

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Saros posted:

The rugby players are posh thing is pretty much unique to the UK and very odd.

*Unique to England

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm still trying to understand which part of the story was palpably untrue, because hasn't he admitted to the whole thing now?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lol shops are back open in 2 weeks. We're all going to die.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It's interesting the way the press has split. Daily Mail very clearly anti-cummings, Torygraph is slightly anti, and the Murdoch press is now definitely coming out in his favour.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It's quite frustrating there aren't any polls at the moment, because I think a couple of horrendous polls might actually make some Tories worried enough to kick off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Oh good, a minister has just resigned because he didn't trust Cummings.