Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

On the eve of his execution, he took a small bomb that had been smuggled into his jail cell, and killed himself by igniting it in his mouth.

I have to say, that doesn't do a huge amount for his "I wasn't involved in the bombing" claim.

It is pretty metal though :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Given the state of the trial (and the state of hanging in the US at the time, which had not yet implemented drop tables), it could just be an admission of really not wanting to be hanged.

Oh no I fully support his statement that "gently caress you, I'll die on my own terms."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jedit posted:

All the convicted Haymarket bombers who were hanged strangled on the rope. For a nation that loves killing people so much, Americans really are poo poo at it.

Nah the cruelty is the point. I remember a documentary I watched a few years ago - think it was Portillo whomst was presenting - and after finding a potential means of execution involving some gas or other widely believed to be painless if it was used for such a purpose, took the idea to some top pro-execution oval office in Texas or somewhere.

Said oval office was almost visibly shaking with rage at the prospect of a less cruel, more reliably painless means of execution. All the talk about wanting to do it 'properly' and how it is a grim necessity or what have you went directly out of the window as soon as an actual alternative was presented. That talk lasts as long as is required to try and avoid the cruel and unusual punishment clause, and not a micron further.

Genuinely surprised there isn't a huge pro-torture movement in the US. (Well, the Republicans exist, but you know what I mean :v:)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DesperateDan posted:

I have now had three separate emails from labour telling me they are sad I'm gone so can I get taken off that clp list cause it makes me sad

There was, around the first few years of the almighty war on terror there was a lot of effort put into assuring americans (and the wider world) that torturing the poo poo out of people worked and was a-ok especially if jack bauer was doing it to someone very stereotypically middle eastern with a clock counting down somewhere because they are running out of time

Then as soon as it was clear that consequences don't exist in a hypernormalised world those fond of torture stopped bothering to fund and run an unnecessary pr campaign as they could just do it quietly and be ignored

I did say that the Republican party exists!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh dear me posted:

Start? They've almost all gone already. My dad was just old enough to fight in the last two years of it. He'd be 95 now.

Yeah my granny was old enough to remember the Belfast Blitz - she was born in '31 or '32 I believe - and she died a few years ago in her mid-80s. It's not the WW1 situation with no remaining veterans yet, but we're getting there rapidly. Proabably it's a Harry Patch situation where the remaining WW2 vets are all that's been holding it back, and as they head on, more and more boomer weapons get their brains melted and start dressing as poppies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Clement posted:

Harry Patch dying was definitely the trigger to full-blown poppy fascism.

Aye, agreed. Wild how rapidly it went after he died.

Also, Praxcast: Appreciate that Euro episode last week, but also for the new ep how much time does Jamie spend coming up with the incredible similies he drops in each episode?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vitamin P posted:

No no no we're not going back to the hope is a lie poo poo and we're not doing some limp-dick liberal "maybe the real fight for human dignity is the friends we made along the way ~uwu~" cope either.

Like does anyone think from what we've seen of Starmer so far that he's a political master operator that will be able to maintain neoliberal hegemony even in spite of material conditions, or does he look pretty loving weak actually?

Your second line kind of supports "hope is a lie", and monotony said nothing that was a limp-dick liberal cope, they said that you have to do good regardless of whether you expect it to succeed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vitamin P posted:

They didn't even mention doing 'good' so get that right, it was explicitly prescriptive, the only positive value was 'personal meaning' and hope was presented as irrelevant.

Even your misinterpretation is dumb as hell. Activism and not giving up is extremely difficult, expecting people to somehow keep trying to do good without any hope that the better world they're working for is actually possible is just ridiculous. Do you think all the people that got politically activated because Corbynism suddenly proved that things don't have to keep getting worse were lying?

No I get that the perception of success begats more support, but Corbyn is gone now and the left is somewhere between adrift and smashed to pieces, so if you want to keep trying to do good you have to be ready for it to loving suck and have no guarantees of success, and to be ready to try anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Songbearer posted:

5 is a stern looking number with a soft side. You got the curve at the bottom which is the classic sign of a Friendly Number but then it terminates in a straight line at the top just as you're getting to know it.

I'm sorry, I really must object. What kind of swivel-eyed looney assesses the characteristics of a number from the bottom up? Your analysis beyond this isn't even wrong, it's just that 5 initially appears standoffish, but once you get to know them you realize they're actually quite sweet, they just reserve that sweetness for their friends.

Which of course makes us wonder, is 5 like this by nature? Or did something happen that hardened 5's heart, made them put up some defenses against the cruel world?

Miftan posted:

As far as I know he gets them off the cuff because he never does any research :v: I have a sneaking suspicion that he was cheating during the Toby Young episode though!

loving insane that someone can just be funny. :thunkher: Other people get all the advantages.

XMNN posted:

think my neighbours are building up to one of those disputes where someone gets stabbed with a pair of hedge trimmers

what I've gathered from their recurring shouting matches is that one of them is unhappy about the other building a shed of some sort, and the other is unhappy about them looking in their garden (and possibly taking pictures?) and both of them would like to hit each other and/or get the police involved

Hah, my step-dad was building his shed today, but there was no drama of any sort :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Please tell me nobody actually named their daughter Jocasta.

I named my night elf arched in WoW Jocasta :v:

I'm curious to find out what's wrong with names like Tarquin and Jocasta though. The associations we have attached to them because of class stereotypes is one thing, but some folks seem to get a bit visceral about perfectly cromulent names.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Peter Hitchens's extended Sunday normal one continues, in which he asks us to please think about the landlords, doesn't understand social distancing, and threatens to walk around wearing a Red Army gas mask.

Epidemiologists: It'll take about two weeks for any measures we take to start impacting infection and death rates.
Reality: We take some measures and about two weeks later start seeing an impact on infection and death rates.
Man who thinks squinting makes him look like he thinks really hard with his great big brain:

quote:

The death rate is lower than the Government believed. It passed its peak in this country on April 8, well before the crazy measures introduced by the Government on March 23 could possibly have affected matters.

Hitchens: This thing is really battering people's finances and one way or another something's going to have to be done about that.
Hitchens: No I mean landlords not humans.

Hitchens: The PM is a dipshit, clapping for the NHS is a weird cultlike activity, and the BBC is a propaganda arm.
Hitchens: Ergo, the Rona isn't real and can't hurt you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

His first tweet in that thread is interesting to me;

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1257025236391858177

Because to me those first two options are all but identical.

Labour should criticize the government as usual vs. Labour should criticize the government where necessary (Or at least that's how I read "Should support the government where possible"). But we're in two simultaneous global crises that are costing hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars, when could it possibly be more necessary to put the government under the closest of microscopes and make sure, with forensic precision, that their plans are credible and sensible?

Not sure what I'm saying with this, except I guess I hope Starmer's just doing a good PR and can go forward to say "We've supported the government in this so the places we're willing to call them out are really important and serious" but lmao while I'm dreaming I'd like a pet unicorn. Even if they try that the government's just going to say "I thought you said Labour wasn't going to oppose for opposition's sake?" and the press will savage Starmer for attacking the poor beleagured cabinet in these trying times.

e; That ended up a double post because I assumed goons on a Sunday night would actually be posting, yiz bastards :mad:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know, I think it might be more possible than you'd think, the normalization of homosexuality has caused absolutely horrific damage to the entire concept of normative sexual and gender performance. And yes there's a lot of pushback, but it wasn't so long ago that there wasn't so much pushback as absolute domination of the normative concepts and everything else had to be done in secret.

When the weirdo moralists were asking "what next if we legalize gay marriage, it'll never stop" were 100% right, I think. I think a lot of people and particularly among younger generations who haven't grown up with as much conditioning bullshit, alot of people are asking what the loving point is? Why do you need to be constantly freaking out about whether something is gay or effeminate or whatever the gently caress else? Why do we bother with it? Is it not just all so much loving stress?

Moreover I think a lot of social atomization is kinda tied up in that, I don't think it's a coincidence that the far right is popular among miserable, virulently homophobic and misogynist shut-ins. There is a mutual vulnerability that is found among queer communities and also, I think, among anyone who is at least somewhat nonconformist in that area. And I also think there's often a good culture of mutual support there, whereas the far right lot mostly just miserywank each other to death about it because having feelings and sharing them in an environment of mutual vulnerability with others is gay.

I don't think it's an accident that a lot of radically progressive spaces are also left leaning.

You're definitely on to something here - what most trans people manage to do hinges on mutual support networks (hence the joke that trans people are just sending the same $13.71 around Paypal indefinitely because we all need it but we're all immediately there to help others in the same boat). Another aspect I expect exists is that, once you've broken a social taboo as fundamental as being trans requires, you'll be of a disposition - whether through experience or inherently - to take a long hard look at everything else wrong in society and going "Hmmm wait, could we maybe do... better?" and being willing to write a far more strenuous prescription than the liberals do in answer to that.

Plus of course you won't find too many people who don't conform to being cishet on the right because they hate us and want us back in the closet or dead, which rather limits the appeal :v: It's highly telling, of course - the right say they support the family but the second that family is gay, suddenly they hate it, and they CERTAINLY don't want orphans or the like being raised by loving gay homes; they say they support the individual and that others, including the government, shouldn't have the power to oppress, but the second that individual says they're trans, they're ALL ABOUT the government getting involved.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Anything right of Tonty Blair" doesn't exclude as many books as this person thinks.

Also I love to argue that offering a book to someone from an author who wrote a DIFFERENT book that contained some antisemitism is bad but actually owning books that promote racist views is fine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

Honestly, why wouldn't she be?

Why indeed? Aside from the quare gunk she got in the 2017 election, all of her bullshit and toadying and bias has been fully vindicated and she's immune to anything worse than being called names on Twitter. And as she's not a centrist, she doesn't care much about that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pencils R Cool posted:

19:30 - 20:00
BBC1: Captain Tom: We Salute You
BBC2: Britain's Greatest Generation

Was the ONLY BRITAIN SOLDIERS ON propaganda from Children of Men a future BBC production?

No, because what clues we get in the movie suggest the world really has crumbled into complete anarchy - it's therefore much more truthful than anything the beeb has put out IRL in a good while.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Depending on the university, German and glassblowing are two of the more 'out there' modules you can commonly do as part of a chemistry degree.

But it's not conversational German and entirely about 19th century org chem texts or more recent patents, and you can learn words like Hochgeschwindigkeitsaufnahmen.

Not bad, what's updog with you?

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that pretty normal? I thought that's what the emergency stockpiles were, basically. They take the expired stuff and hang onto it for a bit cos it probably still mostly works.

10 years seems a bit weird though. I guess you could just about blame the last labour government for it though lol.

tbh I assumed it was the other way around, the emergency stocks get filled with new things and when they're reaching the end of their date new stuff is brought in and the old ones are released for whatever purposes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

As a milsperg I must take enormous issue with the insinuation that Hitler's boys did anything at all on VE day. It was Doenitz's boys.

Also someone at the Mail must have had a massive brain haemorrhage because their front page doesn't say a single word about VE day lmao. The state of the other papers though :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

It's Failure in Europe day for the Mail.

Fair point :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Trin Tragula posted:

People want to be proud of the things they belong to. Why is this difficult to understand?

Yeah VE day stuff goes far deeper than any party loyalty. I guarantee those towns sent a hell of a lot of young boys (and some girls) to fight the fash and not all of them came home, or came home whole.

Much as I hate how it's being turned into a nationalist nonsense celebration I can't get salty about the underlying thing of people being glad that we beat the Nazis until the rubble bounced. Could do with a bit more of that spirit these days itbt :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ronya posted:

Folks not on the far left do not, generally, believe in or subscribe to the left's identity of itself as the final and only bulwark against fascism

Well of course not, because the centrists think they're anti-fascists but are all either amenable to fascism or think fascism is bad but the people trying to prevent it are just as bad and both sides have points and can't we all just get along oh dearie me I've got a touch of the vapours and must retreat to the fainting couch.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ronya posted:

Conversely, the historical pattern for communists is to maintain that it is the only true resistance to fascism - but when push comes to shove, what they mean is that everyone who is not a communist is a fascist. In fact, the "social fascists" are even more fascist than the people who call themselves fascists and are the true threat to the revolution

They won't even support such inoffensive halfway compromises as Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders, I wouldn't say they're worse than actual fascists but unless they're all Secret Accelerationists they're just enabling the actual fash because even if they start winning elections (lol) people like Joe Biden and Kier Starmer are going to do nothing to reduce the pressures that lead to fascism's growth to any meaningful or enduring degree.

And sure, during WW2 plenty of non-communists killed and died fighting the Axis, and there were people volunteering to fight Franco because they hated fascism rather than because they were communist, but as a group they aren't really ready to do much fighting before a fascist power rises and starts upsetting the apple cart. The core of anti-fascism dating right back to the 20s* has been made up of the left, be it anarchist, socialist, communist, or other.

* Very cool that we're soon going to have to distinguish which 20s we mean when we talk about the rise of fascism in the 20s

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

We're in a strong fourth place for global cases and could easily leap ahead to third or second, and we're now in second for deaths and pulling ahead of Italy so uh I'd love to know what this "alert" system could be except cranked up to maximum for the next few months :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

forkboy84 posted:

Ultimately I don't really resent Keir for being Keir, he's a spineless lib toad so of course he's being a spineless lib toad. The ones I resent are the loving dopes who regard themselves as leftists and just threw the towel in and gave the leadership back to the spineless libs after one measly defeat. loving lack of fight.

Instead they conned themselves that the knight was someone he wasn't. Top work.

Tbf there could be whole tomes written about the psychic shock that the left got that night. I can understand why people who might not have been committed UKMarxismThread posters or equally zealous might have felt like everything got upended and we might as well just go for the sensible lawyer because at least he might win and even if he's not going to be great in office he also might not feed the disabled into the meatgrinder that is ATOS.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

Why, is he drunk?

Or saying Bengal deserves to starve?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I too think Timmy Mallet should simply flatten Parliament

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Josef bugman posted:

I think pretending this is a vast plot is foolish.

I think we are just running up against what happens when people scheme instead of think.

I agree with this. What's going on is the result of different opinions in the government, most of them bad and stupid, with the person charged with sifting through it to make the right decisions being the most credulous and idiotic AND lazy fucker in the country so every day is the result of dipshit schemes piling into each other.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

I like this.

I mean I don't I actually hate it, but I like this way of phrasing it a lot.

:shobon:

OwlFancier posted:

Conservative government any% deaths TAS 2020 [WR]

Five Year Government Genocide Run

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

CONGRATULATIONS! :toot: Great job Dr Paine :D

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardKeppler1/status/1259866885300125696?s=19

Check out the responses. It's British Hillary time, including the aftermath where they don't learn anything.

Yeah Starmer's just... you could have rang up central casting and they might have found a better example of boring centrist nerd, but they would have had to look deep behind the couch. Even if you're of the opinion that Starmer was 100% the right choice in terms of policy or whatever, come on, you need a bit of fire when you're talking about a crisis that has already killed thirty two thousand Brits and the government seems to be angling to drive that number far higher.

Thirty two thousand excess deaths in what is ostensibly one of the most technologically advanced, politically and civically developed, wealthiest countries in the world. One which the tories themselves are always insisting can stand proudly as a leader among nations! Second-highest deaths in the world when we're not the secondmost populous country in the world is not the kind of leadership we thought they meant!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of the comments under the Crace article: someone said their son is a Whitehall civil servant and they had a briefing this week and were told to forget about the virus and just focus on brexit.

So I guess Cabinet saw they're not going to get hung from the lampposts no matter how badly they handle things and decided "gently caress it let's not even bother, it's a hassle anyway"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I have a "real" name that's on my passport and birth certificate, way too hard for white people to say, at this point I think of myself in my anglicized nickname. Some of my bills I accidentally put down that nickname and it never came to anything, they opened the account and I realised when the bills started arriving. Including my electric bill, which could surely be used as "ID". Is that the point where it would hit fraud? This country is stupid.

We don't really have a "legal name" as such in the UK, your name's just... whatever you use, really. The actual process of changing your name, for example, is you tell everyone to start using whatever your new name is. That's literally all of it. Now, because a lot of people don't know that and assume there is a legal name and a legal process for changing it, you often do well to have some piece of paper stating your name, and similar official-looking things for changes etc., but it's not strictly required, just makes things easier. e3; So the point I was trying to get at and failed to actually spell out is that I don't think it's fraud as you're not trying to pretend you're someone else? IANAL ofc.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1260224319742980097

The BBC acknowledged people have died, a massive turnaround.

A) Wild that they're finally saying it's because of Corona-chan
B) gently caress me that's a lot of dead people :gonk:

e; Surprised to see Sunak has extended the furlough scheme for so long, and I can see it's trying to weasel around it a bit by saying it's actually going to start ending in August or the like, but I assume the 50k deaths news put the frighteners on certain people

e2; Goodpost Niric :discourse:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 12, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There's uh..... there's a lot there, huh?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

You guys are getting paid to suck dick? :catstare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

forkboy84 posted:

There are so many channels out there, commercial channels, that cater to an audience wanting mindless entertainment. There's a case to be made that that's not the best use of the license fee. That yeah, maybe it is a bit snooty but maybe the BBC should spend more on its news output, more on its educational programmes and cultural output and less on dancing with celebrities. That ratings shouldn't actually be a major concern for a public service broadcaster like it is for a commercial broadcaster. I'm not saying cancel Eastenders but the whole point of a public service broadcaster is it can make the sort of programmes that a channel that needs high viewership to earn ad revenue can't. But it really doesn't so much any more. Even the decent sciencey stuff needs to be overly flashy and Brian Cox has to visit half a dozen different countries to film one episode about Venus.

I like plenty of trash TV, don't get me wrong. But seems like that's what 5-USA or ITV or E4 are for. BBC can & should do more niche stuff because the alternative is "documentaries" that are History Channel calibre tripe about an ancient race of giants on Corsica & aliens building the pyramids.

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with entertainment of any sort in a vacuum, but the point of a publically funded broadcaster is precisely to be able to make the documentaries and exposés and what have you which aren't thought, by the commercial broadcasters and their advertisers, to be financially viable, or alternatively which may attract criticism and controversy they don't want to deal with. Theoretically, one of the great merits of the beeb is that they can put out things about, I dunno, trains in the 1920s whose viewership is made up almost entirely of the population of this thread, because they don't have to give a poo poo that it won't bring in the big bucks - it can make something niche, or obscure, or the like.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The GPO Tower as was, not long after completion, existing in blatant contravention of the Official Secrets Act.

:golfclap: Another excellent effortpost from twisto, a feat both entirely expected and highly engaging.

I actually had no idea the '71 bombing had never seen a conviction, I guess I had kind of assumed (things being as they were in the 70s in the UK) that they'd just have thrown the Kilburn Batallion in the pokey, and failing an ability to actually locate said enterprising fighters for Ireland, have simply rolled grabbed a couple of particularly fenian looking lads off the street.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jel Shaker posted:

The Novara guys did say that Starmer would have a good libel case against nadine dorries tweeting out that fake video, but people like Starmer arnt street fighters

Wouldn't mind if Big Keir got out a pair of knuckle dusters and started hammering on people, but I have to say that the fact a former head of Public Prosecutions doesn't seem inclined to use the courts to do something about actual libel really drives home what a useless numpty he is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cerv posted:

do what exactly? the tweet's already deleted. what's he going to get out of suing? a very small payout. it's not like Dorries can get chucked in jail or forced out of parliament over it.

I get what you're saying, and granted it's entirely possible a sensible political analysis was made and decided it's not worth the bother, but I feel like getting it on record as a matter of law that Dorries committed libel would be both morally good and have at least some potential to be politically effective. (But we're getting into Gay Black Labour territory by imagining that not only is the case pursued but effective hay is made out of it, so maybe Sir Keir just decided not to bother in the first place lest he fall at a later hurdle)

This is what the 1970s thought today would look like.

sebzilla posted:

I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if Johnson actually manages to gently caress this up hard enough to let bland centrism be an appealing alternative.

It's galling as all gently caress, aye. But I'll still take bland Starmerism (NOT Stürmerism do NOT get them confused!!) over the current Hell Tories for sure.

I'm going to spend the rest of my days mourning 2019 though, Corbyn would have handled this crisis so much more sensibly and competently it's hard to even comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

She is, but I've no idea how you get to the point of not wanting to demand tough action on rape (a crime) because you're scared of looking soft on crime.

It's like saying you gave Jimmy Savile the keys to that hospital because you're very concerned about children's health.

Well, the... I won't use the word 'logic' but the thinking is, I suppose, that people in concentration camps prison detention are there because they deserve to be because they're criminals (And worse, immigrants) so anything that works in their defense would be said to be soft, taking the side of criminals over honest law-abiding white people, and surely a politically motivated action that takes seriously some entirely spurious claims. After all, the screws can't be criminals, or they'd be the ones in prison!