Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME
Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

going to guess around 250,000 (two hundred and fifty thousand) omfg (oh my fuckin god) :supaburn: (little smile face guy flailing around because he is on fire)
e: seeing there are already a couple 250k guesses I will raise mine to 262k

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 03:32 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dang y'all some optimistic motherfuckers

here in texas, CHURCHES, MALLS, THEATERS, RETAIL STORES, ARE ALL OPENING at quarter occupancy

MASKS ARE ONLY ADVISORY

people around here were already pretty strongly in the "just a bad flu" territory and most refuse to wear masks, and this is their sign that everything is safe

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

apatheticman posted:

You dont see chuds salting the narrative with "doctors are just putting everything down as covid" as a indicator that they aren't just going to straight up gently caress with reporting as soon as their caught in their stupidity?

lol they're already loving with testing and reporting and yes, they will do this more and more

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

motedek posted:

looking good folks

you gotta love graphs that predict 90 degree turns based on nothing at all lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Put me down for a quarter mil

:what: you of all people I would have expected to be less optimistic than me

a.lo posted:

who ends up with higher deaths? texas or florida?

probably florida due to higher pop density and people churning, texas will be very bad in houston and probably dallas/ft. but florida's A1A is wall to wall party animals and it's springtime.

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 04:36 on May 1, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

texas vs florida death match

Flesh Forge posted:

probably florida due to higher pop density and people churning, texas will be very bad in houston and probably dallas/ft. but florida's A1A is wall to wall party animals and it's springtime.

look at the maps of urban density, the atlantic and gulf coastlines of florida are basically giant cities

this is texas

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Antonymous posted:

we're ending this month with 4.5x as many sick as we started and no end in sight

lol there's always an end in sight

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

also my 269k prediction bakes in the death counts "dropping" due to chud states retroactively declaring covid deaths as "not covid" deaths

yeah same, the real count at the end of may is going to be much higher but we won't really know for months if ever.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

strap in boys and girls etc :pervert:

https://twitter.com/jeremymbarr/status/1256070806804848643

e: I legit cannot wait to see what kind of batshit insane stuff goes on at that :allears:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 06:34 on May 1, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

is there a site that displays case fatality rate in percentage form per US state?

e:

How accurate is the US coronavirus death count? Some experts say it's off by 'tens of thousands'

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is accurate to four or five days ago I think, they're still in the midst of catching up from that lost week due to the passing of the manager's father.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/tracking-coronavirus-u-s-data/

thanks, couldn't find this (total cases and total deaths yes, but then I'd have to make a spreadsheet to calc the percentage)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Xaris posted:

start? lol

buddy...

yeah anywhere with large-ish numbers of cases but low fatalities is very likely cooking the books. NY is probably the least dubious baseline and even NY is undercounting a lot, intentionally or no. NY is reporting a CFR of around 7.5%, really any states very much below that are probably hiding bodies.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol at all you people thinking 100-150k, this should tell you something

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1256176541320568834

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

How many body bags would they normally be ordering?

i dunno but the point is, if trump's people think they might need 100k, the people like jared who have been all "we don't think you need that much" with respect to ventilators, testing supplies, everything else that costs money, then uh

we're probably gonna need a lot more than they're actually ordering.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Frog Act posted:

has anyone else not gotten their stimulus? it keeps saying I'm eligible, it will be updated with a date, etc, then once it said i wasn't eligible, then it went right back to saying they'd have a date soon. am I just not gonna get a stimulus? i never got my tax return from 2018 either so right now the government owes me $2000 and I feel like I will probably never see a dime of it

me and my dad have not

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH IHME

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1256374628957609985

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

snoo posted:

what happens at the unemployment appointment? like I assume it's over the phone, so what, am I talking with an unemployment person and my boss or something???

I can't vouch for the other agents but if you get me, all you're gonna have to do is suck my dick a few times

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

I drove in to hospital for call and I came to the realization that it is impossible to do a proper lockdown. There is just no way to do this in america without a strong well coordinated plan from the federal government with heavy use of national guard.

Just loving open it all back up who loving cares anymore, rip the band aid off America's gaping you know what and let the small business tyrants enjoy their hastened bankruptcy as the 30 million unemployed remain unemployed with no discretionary spending.

Only way we can get any leftward progression is if we just accelerationist this bad boy and let all the succ libs and chuds realize how absolutely hosed it all is when we come out of quarantine.

lol, accelerationism is a bunch of just world claptrap. there is no reason at all to expect utopia to come out of letting the not-very-good situation we have go completely into the shitter, it's more likely to get stuck in an even worse state. cf. the dark ages

although I guess tell yourself whatever you have to to have some hope :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

kater posted:

positive cases grew linearly the entire month of April. +30k sick every day. presumably because testing was at capacity. early mid April New York was 30-40%, once 50% of that. this last week it was only ever 15%. still same 30k growth. the rest of the country is more than capable of picking up the slack.

like it doesn’t even make sense. 30k cases but the deaths are 2k sometimes close to 3k? and possibly underreported up to 40-50%? this thing doesn’t kill 10% of people, it’s just hidden as gently caress

I think people seriously underestimate how common it is for Americans to just have no medical care period, around 20% of Americans just don't get medical care of any sort. Not exactly because they're poor or homeless, it's more complicated than that. These people are much more prone to try to ride out serious illness without getting help and if they develop serious CV they're a lot more likely to die outside of doctor care.

https://civicscience.com/20-u-s-adults-not-seen-doctor-past-year/

quote:

Generally healthy people are more likely to answer None–therefore we can speculate that people aren’t seeking preventative care, even if they consider themselves to be fine, likely because they cannot afford to.

We also found a regional correlation: People who live in the US West are more likely to answer None. We’ve seen that in some parts of the US West, health care is the most expensive in the nation. Men are more likely to be never-goers.

Did this group look any different in 2014 before the decline started?

Not really. In fact, the makeup of U.S. adults by generation of never-goers is nearly identical in 2014 to this group over the last 365 days. Same with income.

This comes down to one’s opinion of their own health, how much money they make and therefore, have in their pockets to spend. Renters are more likely than homeowners to not go to the doctor. As are city dwellers. So no surprises. Even though the Affordable Care Act aimed to make health care affordable, it may not have done it. The general increase in health care costs is a trend, too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

nerds who like charts, here is a really good collection of charts with a lot of options to jerk off to

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

e: here's a good one :mmmhmm:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 02:06 on May 3, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

goddamn, id love to see these people forced to live under actual tyranny.

of course they would immediately align with the fascists leadership to avoid any inconveniences

they already have

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The narrative is going to morph to "some deaths are inevitable and regrettable" so loving fast

And then into "we can't let all those deaths be for nothing we owe it to the dead to keep our way of life alive"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moxie posted:

Thanks for all the replies to this, I guess I forgot that evil people apparently control the minds of approximately 50% of all Americans and encourage them to do illogical poo poo.

I mean, they pretty much do, have you never talked to any actual dirt poor R voters? lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have had my eye on this doc for a long while, it's just slow to update. From what I can tell, that count is based on a fairly strict accounting of death certificates and I've watched it continually update for the pas couple of weeks. It has never always been a lot below the generally accepted CV death counts but it has gone up as the past couple of weeks have gone by, as well as the estimates of "expected deaths" - when I first started looking in on that doc those percentages were all below 90.

e: see the notes at the bottom of the table, it explains this
e: the stat that is probably the hardest to handwave away is the combined "Deaths with Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID-19, which is 90,000 (!)
and apparently CDC has figured they should try to counter that (handwaving away deaths "it's just the flu/pneumonia") to some degree, at least in this doc
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/pdf/covidview-05-01-2020.pdf

it's not an incredibly useful stat for deciding treatments but it very clearly shows some poo poo is real hosed up compared to historical norms, by showing all three of these as a single total it's much easier to make the point on a single graph

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 09:11 on May 3, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Also the president is very anti-mask and has made it clear that he considers wearing one a sign of weakness

yeah there's already a pretty strong culture warrior "masks are for liberal pussies" thing going

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh I guess this was a conservative talking point today

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1256641587708342274

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lambert posted:

This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death."

e: for the more up-to-date but less strict count, check

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

it's about 1 day behind Worldometers

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 10:17 on May 3, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

MadJackal posted:

COVID needs to spread like wildfire across the Midwest and South before half this country will take it seriously.

we are taking it very seriously, but we have the worst and dumbest and most insane people in charge so their responses have been to undermine and sabotage the practical measures that the less-stupid less-insane people are trying to implement. don't doubt that they take it seriously though.

texas is really tragic, seems pretty clear things weren't going too bad until Alex Jones started wanting to eat some rear end
e: same for TN

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hopper posted:

I can't believe I even have to ask this, but do you think they will (try to) cover up any surges in cases? And is there even a chance of going back to lockdown?

you can look at graphs of tests completed and see the testing strategy at work

individual states loving around with these is a bit harder to hide because the testing is being done by third party companies that operate at the national level, but testing capacity remains really flat. there's no consistency as to who gets tested (some places it's very easy with no symptoms, some places people have died of it after being denied testing multiple times). where it seems to me the shady poo poo is going on is more with case fatality rate, some states have extremely low % fatality rate and I don't see any reasonable explanations for that other than undercounting.

For countries with large numbers of cases, keep in mind most of the rest of the world is seeing CFR of 5-6 percent for the VERY GOOD responders, to 13-14 percent, so US states like TX or FL with large numbers of cases but 2-3% CFR are probably hiding bodies.

e: prefigured CFR along with other stats
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/04/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/tracking-coronavirus-u-s-data/

Inceltown posted:

Florida is already hiding deaths, they're not going to ease up when it gets worse.

and yeah florida is no-poo poo deliberately undercounting deaths and blocking county-level coroners from reporting local (larger) counts. probably other states are too but florida is for sure.

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 13:01 on May 3, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

What is this zeitgeist that has declared victory over the roni? It's the weather, isn't it?

the White House team embraced the IHME model which initially predicted about 60k deaths and once we crossed that mark a whole bunch of people started talking like everything was over with, plus a lot of the anti quarantine protesters waved guns around

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah that's been a steady pressure though, the big thing that was like a switch being thrown was that IHME 60k mark.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rip Testes posted:

Perhaps already addressed, but they are reporting using the U071 ICD-10 code only, which is the most recent Coronavirus specific code, yet only one Coronavirus code of several.

Thank you for pointing this out, I missed that in the footnotes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Agrajag posted:

hey pompeo going to war with china isnt exactly a great idea jsut fyi

it's extremely insane, aside from the pure military aspect (they have the largest military size and the second largest budget in the world) the first thing they would do is simply wreck our economy, just lmfao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Woofer posted:

I know China does a bunch of manipulating in their economy but wouldn’t tanking our economy also tank their economy and also tank a bunch of other economies

it seems like we are kind of married economically and a divorce would only kill everyone.

I have no idea what I’m talking about I hated economics in college.

china has the will to do poo poo like weld unruly sick people in their houses and distribute food/supplies to quarantined workers, when it comes to economic disruption they are infinitely better prepared for that kind of poo poo than the US is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Trump threatened to default on the debt to china because of the virus too

china has all the manufacturing power that the US has been frantically trying to get rid of since the end of WWII, the US needs them way more than the reverse. US economy is going to disembowel itself in the next year anyway and China is probably already figuring out wtf to do about that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mackers posted:

What the flying gently caress lmao

trump believes he can say things and they become real, he genuinely believes in his brain that when he says that poo poo it will come true and he's trying to help.
e: when he says inject bleach or drink fishbowl cleaner, he really sincerely was trying to help :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol, america mumbled im up im up whole flailing at the snooze button

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

impossible to predict, unprecedented, no one could have seen this coming, etc

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1256974673289633792

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol merka :911:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1256982587333058560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Marx Headroom posted:

yeah there's no plan here. theres a million smart ways to hold onto their power. they could easily do the europe thing and pay people to stay home, then tighten the screws again once the crisis has passed.

imo there was a plan at first, to coordinate the quarantine protests in dem-held states, but since they've been holding hands with the nazi militia and antivax types and because let's face it they're a bunch of extremely dumb fuckholes it quickly got out of hand