Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Theantero posted:

But it's not multiplayer, now is it? It's a weird hoop you have to jump through to unlock your last team slot in a single player experience, and no matter how many gachas do something similar, it'll still be a bad design choice. Like, imagine if your last nugget in Ruina was gated behind pilfering one from someone on your friend list instead of its inclusion being part of normal game progression? Utterly baffling. Kudos to PM for avoiding the worst pitfalls of genre convention here though, since apparently it's even worse in other gachas.

(Yes, I know it's opt out, yes, I have beaten the content thus far without using any of it. It's just weird and annoying and bad and I wish having 6 sinners was something you could do on your own)

I suppose the fault lies in me for litigating this constant apologia from the entire assembled Whalers' Guild over what was supposed to be a relatively minor complaint about a specific thing I dislike in a game I otherwise enjoy. I'll bow out.
The fault lies in you being a clown, and being annoyed when people pointed and laughed. Are you mad that you can summon people in boss fights in Dark Souls? Does aiding or getting aid from other players corpses in Nier: Automata also get your knickers in a twist? Did you return Halo when they had the gall to have co-op mode in the campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

Kinda not cool to pile onto a person who’s already acquiesced the point, y’know…

I have thoughts about the 6 man thing myself but they’re too nuanced (read: :words: ) to post on a phone.
It's not really cool to "acquiesce" by calling everyone who disagrees with you wrong, stupid, and suffering from gacha brainrot (no matter how accurate that may be) either, yet here we are.

Now come on and scoop some eyeballs, the world isn't going to blind itself.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 4, 2023

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Solitair posted:

edit: I think this is the first time I've accidentally posted twice in a row.
Guess they're testing their mailing system now?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Lakbay posted:

I'm stuck on Kromer too, except my problem is she just rolls higher than me consistently and I can't win any clashes, I got her to phase 2 once so at least I got to hear the full Mili song. It shows that she has no resistances but I assume that's a lie because I see Blunt pop off as ineffective and Slash as normal
Have you checked the specific body part? The default select doesn't show any resistances, but the body parts should.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

A Don of immense size.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

darkfenrir posted:

Surprisingly, yes! Although the original words in CN is 禁闭者 which isn't sinner but just "someone who is confined" iirc. So some translation license here.

(Although because Dante got bullied a lot by Sinners, and Chief (who is the main character in PtN) is also bullied a lot by Sinners, I and some other friends end up joking about how Chief ends up in Limbus Company haha))

Isn't that the exact same thing with our Sinners as well? It's more like Prisoners, hence all the base ego being them all locked up.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Lord_Magmar posted:

If the Inquisition is the "Nail" half of Nagel und Hammer, maybe Meursaults focus will be the uhhhh, Hammer, part.

ShoutokuTaisho posted:

Guido refers to himself as a hammer of the one who grips, and Sinclair says, when talking about the past, that people calling themselves hammers started to appear in town. I think it's fair to say that the inquisition is the Hammer part.
Guido's dying words are also about the Hammer continuing to pursue us, and all the mooks names are x-hammer.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Junpei posted:

I've kind of been operating under the assumptions that a Nest is centered in the direct middle of the district it's in (they're all vaguely circular/round) and the Backstreets form a 'ring' around the Nest. Is that what you think they look like, too? Just idly curious.

A Hook Office Fixer, Page 2 posted:

Backstreets are spread all over the City, and the Nests are no exception. But all this means is that “there are Backstreets in the Nests”, since the Nests are completely segregated from the Backstreets in terms of access.
I imagine more really jagged polygons, so you can get Backstreets running into the Nests, though I imagine that isn't really right. Definitely think the Backstreets border Districts/Nests though, rather than Nests bordering another Nest or District boundary.

GilliamYaeger posted:

That's what I'd assume too, with the Backstreets filling the gaps between the Nests...but I also distinctly remember a flashback in Wonderlab where the Nest that Rose grew up in was far above the Backstreets? But I can't remember where it was in the comic and it's a bit much to just dig through a 50 chapter long comic for a single image...
You might be thinking of Hookah Caterpillar 2, in which case it wasn't the Nest being above the Backstreets, that was Rose going to a really tall building to get the height to look at the Outskirts.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Junpei posted:

They sent out a warning on Twitter: There's a glitch on the Android version that they're still trying to iron out, but IOS and Steam versions are fine.

Speaking of the Steam version, they rolled out the anti-cheat stuff on that version, right?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Cirina posted:

Because IDs are based on other people, so it's an ID based on a TLA person who uses the EGO as their own equipment. It's not 'Heathcliff wearing an EGO' it's 'Heathcliff using an ID that puts him into the role of someone who has the EGO as their equipment'. Like how Faust has an ID that puts her into the role of Kromer, and another that puts her into the role of Yuri, etc. We just don't know who that is quite yet because we haven't seen anyone using it in the story. We'll probably meet them in part 2.
Except the other person the ID is based on can be just you, see Gripclair, Old G Gregor, and all the generic mook IDs, so it was a decision they didn't inherently need to make for Sunshower Heathcliff to be "Heathcliff but if he was the TLA guy wearing the Sunshower EGO" and not "Heathcliff but if he was wearing the Sunshower EGO."

GilliamYaeger posted:

Because of the hood, I strongly suspect that this is actually a Dongbaek identity (aka the woman who stabbed Yi Sang and may or may not be his wife) so it's likely not a "goon" but rather a specific named character.
If you look at her full sprite, she's wearing a raggedy hoody with jeans and sneakers, unlike the EGO which is a poncho over what seems to be the usual suit and tie.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Speaking of the Head, can we talk about the similarities with the Birds? Claw is Punishing, Big Eye is Beholder and Punishing is Arbiter? Anyone?
No duh Arbiters track to Judgement Bird, Beholders to Big Bird, and Claws to Punishing Bird, and the trio becoming the Head/Apocalypse Bird, that hardly even counts as subtext. The only thing to discuss about them is on the birb trio's journey from normal birds to prophecy of doom to extreme measures defending the forest to becoming the prophesied doom, while we know what the prophecy was and the fears that drove them to eventually merge together as Apocalypse bird, we don't know what drove the Head's current anti-nonhuman, pro-suffering attitude.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Double posting, but news on target Extraction.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1667863505251495936

Sloshing Ishmael with guest appearances by Talisman Sinclair and Rodion, Full Bloom E.G.O.::Spicebush-Yi Sang (that's a funny name), and it looks like we're finally throwing down with the roid soldiers next chapter.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Endorph posted:

look ill be pulling for her to be clear but 'this game isnt horny' and 'heres ishmael covered in slime' makes for very funny contrast
Ishmael wears a slimy, goopy fatsuit ID, and has an E.G.O. that ties her up and gives her gently caress me eyes. Never would have expected Ishmael would take the lead as female fetish bait sinner.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I know that ultimately Seasonal IDs are generally meant to represent enemy characters/NPC from the chapter, but I still find it weird that in an alternate world Yi Sang awakens to the same E.G.O as Dongbaek. Like, you know, collective unconcious, same ideas spawwning similar stuff but usually E.G.O. that manifest outside of abnormalities are usually personal.

Although his lines sound different so it could be the same E.G.O. but different meaning about it.
The Limbus IDs have been lightly alt universe stuff, the deviations needed for the base Sinner to have ended up emulating the ID aren't too crazy for the most part, but remember the alts Garnet had in Leviathan, they don't make any sense. The convoluted world altering events needed for Garnet to end up as Yujin, Roland, or a normal guy in a normal world and still be Garnet are completely unreasonable, but they still happened in these alt worlds.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Endorph posted:

what if they released the 'ishmael buying wonder bread' ego
Ohio ID.
Floor tile EGO.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Strong Tremor support whose burst helps you synergize with Rupture teams, even. It's just LCCB but with a better first skill and no interesting mechanical touches.

(I'm genuinely kind of sad about how boring Sloshing Ishmael is.)
Sloshing is more like a Tremor focused base Ishmael than spinning off of LCCB. Low coin counts, no ammo, ability to fuel her base EGO.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

Wouldn't it be cleaner to just have it be a level check rather than all this nonsense about individual moves having different values?
The cleanest gameplay is staring at a wall, but we subject ourselves to varying degrees of nonsense complexity anyway. Not to say it's wrong to simplify if gameplay is too finicky or something, but it's not a good in and of itself.

GilliamYaeger posted:

A seemingly arbitrary swing of 1/2 power either way isn't really that useful a lever, especially when it's attached to a mechanic that's got little to no visible feedback. The entire system's basically invisible which means its unintuitive to strategize around, and when it does come into play the nature of it with the rework (and the fact that it needs a rework this early in the first place shows how poorly thought out it was) means that it's barely going to tip the scales either way. If you tell me that you've ever factored in offence/defence level into your strategies, then I will call you a liar.
Call me a liar if you want, it doesn't have much bite coming from an idiot. Even when the Red Sheets were vulnerable to slash, Kurokumo Honglu was dogshit because his offense scaling meant he'd get outclashed all the time. Maybe you would notice stuff like that if you did something other than "rcliff goes auto brrt."

quote:

If you want texture and definition, that's what the actual skills already accomplish. For the vast, vast majority of people playing the game, this system may as well not exist...and if it did actually meaningfully change things, all that would cause would be complaints. "I rolled three heads with my skill, which should have resulted in an 18. Why did I get a 16, and lose to my opponents 17? I don't have any debuffs and the opponent doesn't have any buffs, so what gives? This is bullshit." "Well you see, your problem is that you didn't check this arbitrary number that's buried in your stats screen."

It's a finnicky system that doesn't really add much to the game other than loving up player-side napkin math.
Bitch, they show you your offense/defense levels right at the top with the effects, coins, power, and all that.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'll be nice and overlook the baseless insults. But answer this: Is there really that much mechanical difference between (using the current system) a 42 power skill that rolls 5+4+4, and a 36 power skill that rolls 6+4+4? Wouldn't it be simpler if they both just had 5 base power?

RandomReader posted:

The cleanest gameplay is staring at a wall, but we subject ourselves to varying degrees of nonsense complexity anyway. Not to say it's wrong to simplify if gameplay is too finicky or something, but it's not a good in and of itself.
Yes, I already agreed that it would be simpler, but I also already said being simpler isn't inherently a pro, and established my position of being totally wishywashy. Was I unclear about that here?

Edit: And to add some assholery, there was a lot of self editing to stop insulting you here.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 24, 2023

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Level 5 as in the stat being higher than 80 or simply a full 100?
Agents have a level related to their stats, but still separate. That's the one you want to be 5, you'll see it near the agents name, away from the specific stats. Censored doesn't check your agents specific stat levels or values when he uses his abilities, just the general level. If my memory serves, that ability only effects each agent once per breach, so you can send in your 5s to proc, run away to heal, and then come back. For his work, beyond the general git guds of "stop getting negative boxes," "wear better EGO," and "just tank it bruh," there are a few abnos that can raise the agents sanity while they're working, and I won't be the one to spoil those guys.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 30, 2023

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Ariamaki posted:

I am diving for the +Cost, then beelining damage line to the capstone probably, followed by the rest of the resources line. HOPEFULLY I can double-back from the left capstone to finish out the health line without ever taking the +SP node, just to make using low-SP IDs more consistent. If not, at least for N Clair in specific it'd probably help keep him from Souping.

Nope, you can't buy the capstone until you buy both previous nodes, on the top and bottom.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Aumanor posted:

On that topic, when the hell are we getting a Liu ID with a guandao?
The only people we saw with guandao's were the Directors, so when we get a Liu director, possibly. Another noteworthy thing about Liu weapons (or lack thereof) is that in Limbus, the mooks all had swords, and it was the named left and right hand types who used hand to hand.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Boksi posted:

I don't think Lobotomy Corporation would build a branch facility in the outskirts. We might have to sail over to some island off the coast, or maybe find some underwater facility, but that's probably still going to be within the City.
Just because the branch facility probably isn't in the outskirts doesn't mean we won't still need to go to the outskirts. We were done with the branch facility a little more than third through canto 4, but we still had to schlep all the way to the top of k corp to get our hands on the Branch and enter the dungeon.

Arcanuse posted:

Lobcorp might not have a proper branch on the outskirts, but the early days did have a facility out there*. I think, been a while.
Probably long gone well before the branches all got sealed, or at minimum picked clean by scavengers.

*There being 'somewhere in the outskirts'. Where exactly, or even which direction from the city? :shrug:
Given we don't really know anything about the Golden Branches, I can't really say it doesn't make sense for the original lab to have a golden branch left over, but it definitely feels wrong to go to the main outpost pre-Wing for a Golden Branch. Beyond that, we saw out the window in Ruina and saw a lot of land, and people were just loitering in the building, so I doubt the original lab was on some island out at sea. On the other hand, Tiphereth's flashbacks were on the waterfront, so good chance it was on the coast.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Aumanor posted:

Anyone care to post the rest of the thread? I haven't been able to see replies on Twitter for a while now, probably because I don't have an account.
They post updates to the steam page, not the banner teasers though.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

KobunFan posted:

Hey, can anyone explain what "attack weight" is to me?
Remember how AoE works? It's that but with a consistent terminology that includes single target attacks. An Attack Weight of 1 means it's single target, Attack Weight of 3 means 3 slots, AW 5 means 5 slots, with the same "sometimes a slot takes up 2 targets for some reason" as before.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Garren_Windspear posted:

...so it's entirely possible I missed something somewhere during the last massive update but is there a reason I did my weekly Hard Mirror Dungeon run and it seemed to have eaten all three of my weekly normal Mirror Dungeon bonuses?

Fair enough if that's the case (the reward for the Hard run was obscene) but just checking I didn't run into a glitch or something.
That's working as intended, Hard eats up all your remaining weekly bonus for more bp.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Lord_Magmar posted:

The only unique reward Hard gives is the weekly hard mode bonus. So you can do any number of normal and then a hard and it will be the same more or less.
Last I knew using the bonus up on hard gave you more bp per weekly bonus than normal, but I haven't double checked that since the past few rebalancings.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

RandomReader posted:

Last I knew using the bonus up on hard gave you more bp per weekly bonus than normal, but I haven't double checked that since the past few rebalancings.
Double checked, and yeah normal gives you +15 bp exp per weekly bonus, while hard gives +25 per.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Junpei posted:

So, wait, do you think we'll actually fight Opened Can of Wellcheers in the event?
I'm leaning towards no, we didn't fight the soup dragon in the cookoff and we seem to have our hands full with crabs of various sizes so no room for a surprise Well-shrimp fight. That said, we also didn't actually meet the cannibals for the cookoff IDs back then and it seems like we're going to be meeting Molar office in their new career this time.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Einander posted:

Either half or all of those people are dead. Either they obediently fought to the death as always before they hit the legal time limit on how long you can have multiple clones of the same people, or they refused and ran for their lives, in which case they got Claws sent after them and died. The Head takes its forbidden technologies very seriously.
I really doubt the 4th pack is all dead because that would be an unsatisfying resolution to them actually surviving Ruina. "Whoa, how is the 4th pack going to make it out alive if R. Corp wants them dead and the Head will too if both versions live? Oh, they just got murdered months ago in the background."

I think it's possible they just hosed off into the Outskirts and the Head let that go. When the T. Corp technician explains the rules, he says that 2+ of the same person can't exist in the City, which means leaving the City might be viable. The other rule they talk about is that if R. Corp breaks the previous rule, the Head is going to swat down the whole Wing, and from what Dante's Notes says about R. Corp, they're still kicking, so I don't think the Head got involved. On top of that, R. Corp was very clear that they were going to cut off the 4th pack if they hosed up the Library job, and they did, twice. Neither pack can go back to R. Corp, and neither pack can stay in the City while the other lives, which could put them in this almost prisoners dilemma-esque situation of either leaving the city or sticking around and hoping the other pack is no longer living in the City by the deadline, either cause they managed to track down and kill them or they left.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

VinnyDonuts posted:

The other fun part: Unless they both appeared in the same place, neither pack would really have any way of knowing that their copies are alive. The second one might be able to put 2 and 2 together and infer that if they're alive, it's possible their clones are as well, and that means they're in real trouble. They might be the ones who just gently caress off into the outskirts for the sake of saving their copies who would have no way of knowing they're in deep poo poo.

Barring the packs learning about poo poo while they're in guest stasis like the librarians in the books, the first pack could still operate under the assumption there's a second version of them running around. Barring Nickolai who's death line is pretty confident the 4th pack will get cloned again, the rest have to ask themselves how willing they are to risk their lives with the Head that R. Corp hasn't made another copy of themselves that's still kicking, or that R. Corp wouldn't kill them if they did show up to confirm one way or the other that there's a clone running around.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I'm going to say it once: Elle est belle et elle est magnifique.

Now I can legally go back to hating every piece of fanservice that has ever touched this Earth

Also, concerning RCorp, I would really like to see Maxim, Myo and the third one in Limbus but the RCorp identity should indicate that they are alive if nothing else. You can't take a copy of yourself in a particular role if that self is dead after all.

First off, the R Corp IDs are not Myo, Maxim, or Rudolph, they're generics. The team leaders all had capes and none of the ones we've seen have those. Secondly, why do you think we can't make a copy if the source ID in our world is dead? The very first use of the mirror technology was to overlay a living butterfly or whatever over a superdead one in our reality, which strongly suggests that the mirror worlds don't inherently give a gently caress if our worlds source dies. The fact we've met the majority of source IDs while they're alive does not mean they have to be for us to extract a version of them from a mirror world.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3680054562602157763
Steam link for the weirdos not using twitter me.

Gain event currency by spending stamina on Main Story missions or event stages, with more currency for repeatable event stages and stages with bosses. Some levels are gated by currency accumulation, and 20% currency buff for event sinclair and Ryoshu and 40% for Ish and Hong.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

We have our second alternate ZAYIN EGO, and it looks like it's a good one. I don't know why they removed Representation Emitter's party-wide SP heal only to immediately give us another ZAYIN with the exact same effect, that also refunds EGO resources upon use.

Going off the uncolored defense skills, these might be uptie 3 previews?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

MotU posted:

you cannot base a currency on this.
Reminds me of a bitcoin joke: the kid asks his dad for 1 bitcoin, and the dad goes "$100 dollars! $80 dollars is a lot of money, what does a kid need $2,000 dollars for anyway?"

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Jack Van Burace posted:

lmao that there's an extremely angry whale in this thread who gets pissed that people rightly point out this is a predatory gacha, just like all the rest, generous to F2P or not. The next level of character upgrade will be even worse, even more expensive, worse to F2P people, that's how these gachas go. Gachas don't deserve defense from anyone! At least recognize that much - I play FGO, hell I even spend money on it, but I'd never defend their practices, and Project Moon is not some kind company that needs to be defended against unjust claims - they gave up that label the moment they decided to go with the gacha model instead of just releasing a regular game. They're as scummy as any other gacha team, as bad as Lasengle/Typemoon, miHoYo or Square Enix.

(Edit) On that note, surely this thread belongs in the mobile games forum with others of its type, right? Good to have that gambling addiction warning thread there for games like this, y'know.
Recognizing that gacha's are predatory only gives you the high ground if you then stop rewarding their behavior, you're just differently stupid for continuing to speak with your wallet. That also makes you a jackass for thinking you're better than anyone.

As for moving to mobile games, report the op or something. It's not like mobile games are the only gachas, and hopefully eventually this thread will talk about new non-mobile games, but it's no skin off my back where this thread is.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

If you're spending more than 10.99/season for the battlepass (or local equivalent amount) then you're getting way more than you actually need, tbh... but they REALLY want to make everyone get that 10.99 battle pass.

I'm still getting both of the monthly passes to the tune of ~10bux/month, but that's because I'm treating the game like a patreon for project moon and just shoving money at them to go KEEP MAKING poo poo I LIKE.
With the battlepass and the ability to grind anything (though not all things without more dosh) Limbus seems more like a subscription mmo game, with the optional gacha hell of infinite depth for whale catching.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

If I was passionate enough about ethical behavior to drop the game, I would have done so when they revealed they'd be a gacha. I'm not, so I'm still giving them my money. I still enjoy the story and gameplay, so I'll stick with the ship until I stop enjoying it or it sinks to the bottom.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Quackles posted:

On one of her streams, apparently. (I don't know what she streams.)
For what it's worth, she vtubes on twitch and that says she hasn't streamed for 5 days. I don't know what other accounts she has or how accurate twitch is being, so take both this refutation and the news with a grain of salt until further proof.
https://twitch.tv/miggang_ster

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

DropTheAnvil posted:

Mirror dungeons don't give scrap. Don't ask me why they say dungeons give scrap, but specifically point out MD's dont
They're talking about story dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

drat, I must have missed the part where they said they were chopping the artists up to be served as a limited time special at HamHamPangPang and live tweeting the breaking of everyone kneecaps.