Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
This thread is now a VW Space Vizzion waiting room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I think it's funny to frame it as an argument when it really just is how it goes: either your use case and tolerance for inconvenience makes mid-trip charge stops a deal breaker or not. But it also ignores the very important point that BEVs are objectively cool and good. It's like when I told my father my next car would be pure electric and he said a hybrid was more practical, basically sounding like the out of touch dad in an old Apple Jacks commercial.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
There also is a regional divide in mentality on driving distances. If you live in the Midwest, you may well drive six hours to go anywhere significant that isn't where you live. Meanwhile Manhattan to Boston is like 200 miles.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1126143_volkswagen-aero-new-ev-coming-in-2023-as-likely-replacement-for-arteon

If this thing can make it to the U.S. in an actual wagon style, I'll preorder. I'm afraid it'll get raised and slapped with SUV cladding, but a guy can dream.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'm about as far from a car guy as there is, and I don't have a DIY bone in my body, but I'm very EV-interested and use this thread primarily for news, charging discussion, and first-hand experiences for people with various EVs. This is the only AI thread I read, unless I'm really bored.

I don't have strong feelings either way about Tesla, and while the occasional slapfight is probably unavoidable (and honestly defensive Tesla owners are as much of a problem for this sort of thing as drive-by poo poo posters, who can just be probated and we can all move on), I think the mods have done a very good job of keeping this on track.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

MrOnBicycle posted:

As a not-yet-a-parent (but planning to be soon :3:) I probably underestimate how much is needed.

I promise you do!

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
It's interesting because the XC40 Recharge has been pretty highly received, right?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Honestly I give people a lot of credit who are adopting an EV as their only car, Tesla or not. Even with their charging network, it seems like such a hassle if you have to take it long distances. If my wife didn't have a big enough ICE car for our family for road trips, I don't think I'd be buying an EV.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People buy crossovers because of the seating position, basically.

I don't get why everyone's so mad about normal EV crossovers. Automakers are going to make things people are going to buy. If you like EVs and want them to succeed you should want OEMs to make crossovers.

I understand it, I just want a wagon, so I'm unreasonably disappointed with every announcement. I hoped that someone might take a chance and make one and sell it on the basis that the lower profile improves aerodynamics and range, but here we are. Holding out hope Volvo announces a V90 or something in the next few years.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I had that 3.8L v6 in my 91 Taurus wagon and the speedometer only went up to 85

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that was the law not related to performance

but i'm probably being wooshed here

I should have added an exclamation point, it's not your fault. I don't even own an EV.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

So loving boring.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Qwijib0 posted:

I would murder someone for an EV version of my legacy wagon.

I would also let you murder someone for one, I don't actually even care what wagon you have. We're waiting for whatever the Space Vizzion becomes, and then someone usually tells me it's not likely to come to America, and then I plug my ears.

I had hopes for Volvo since they at least sell their wagons here, but based on the image they put out, it doesn't look like a wagon is in their immediate future.

I think where I am today is if there isn't good news about the Space Vizzion or something else, I'll just get a V60 PHEV. 22 electric miles will cover my commute, at least.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I would pay a lot to pretend I could actually afford a Cross Turismo for a few days.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

unless you're not in NA i have bad news about the Space Vizzion

Has this been announced somewhere?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
No disagreement from me, just wondering if there was something to put me out of my misery or whether I'd keep deluding myself for now.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
It's a strange world where someone wants buying milk to be more like buying a car than buying a car to be more like buying milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Is the current tax credit income capped? I think that's an unfortunate part of the new legislation. Not that anyone needs to watch out for rich people, but 300k family income isn't that wild in these coastal areas where we could really make substantial inroads toward EV adoption, and I suspect that in practice the cap will put a bunch of people into ICE cars that might otherwise buy EVs. That's particularly so when you look at the price of a lot of these EVs, which surely are being sold disproportionately to rich people.