Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Drives finally clicked yesterday. Buddy told me to think of it as a swing powered by legs and hips, with a ropey arm vs pulling a strong arm across the chest. Cause you can’t ever pull hard or fast enough, but you can generate a lot of power in the legs and hips and turn your arm into a trebuchet :eng101:

I of course later launched a disc into the netherworld, which I am returning to hunt for today.

I can't figure this one out. Sometimes in the field I can get things moving the right direction, but as soon as I stand on a Tee it all goes out of my brain and I'm throwing my arm out of the socket for hardly 200 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks thread. Watched coach T and threw +10 and +8 on two different courses. My previous best was +14. Also threw my first bird in a scored round.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Thanks everyone, the beast does in fact rule, picked up a couple and have been grinding distance, it's pretty much perfect. I threw 100 drives a day at the football field for 4 days in a row and gave myself a stress fracture in my little finger whoops.

Oh well. People always say "drive for show putt for dough".. AMs aren't eligible for dough, so I'll take what I can get.

I was hesitant to post before because I'm not very good at disc golf, but I think the mamba might be a good fit as well. It is cheat mode distance, especially on a little hyzer. It has a fast nominal speed but is very forgiving and glides like crazy. If you actually throw 13 speed it will turn over into the next zip code.

I dunno it has been working for me lately.

headcase fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 13, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I was visiting Portland from the east coast. Had an amazing time at Milo McIver even though it rained the grass was like a lake. Also did Bonneville upriver and Lakewood in Seattle.

Overall I was expecting a little bit more out of OG West coast courses. Don't get me wrong, they were all great, but turns out we have some pretty decent ones in Georgia too.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Muir posted:

I got into disc golf a few months ago, and as I usually do with new hobbies I went down the gear rabbit hole too fast. I've taken a step back now and dialed my number of discs way down in accordance with some old advice on DGCourseReview, and boy am I learning a lot more by just focusing on a few discs. The advice is to start with just:

I've got an Axiom Envy, a Latitude 64 Fuse, an Axiom Crave, and an MVP Terra.

I'm also discovering how much I like MVP/Axiom discs, as opposed to the mostly Latitude 64 I had been using before.

Anyone else dive in too deep at first and then dial it back to really learn how to throw?

For sure. I've at least managed to stop buying discs. I am focusing on luna, berg, buzzz, paradox, and a rotating selection of fairways. Lately I've had the best luck with escape and felon. Anyone got any feedback on that starter set (8 months in)?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

buzzz is life. Paradox is the other mid I carry and it is also very good.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

unbuttonedclone posted:

I have an Uplink which is more stable than a paradox but still flippy as gently caress. I use it to get out of trouble. Like a forehand that needs to go left or a backhand that needs to go right.

Yep. Mostly trick shots. I like high RHBH anny shots that to hold their line and keep going right. I want to try to figure out how to hyzer flip it for a midrange straight and then right. Seem to run into a lot of those.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've been trying to putt lunas with the idea being that it will teach me to throw it hard into the basket. Unfortunately I've been struggling and falling behind my friends on putting. I just tend to throw it soft anyway, and my spin sucks.

Any recs on a putter to try? I haven't really decided on bead or no. I just want something less stable that I can float straight like the amateur i am. I am looking at magnets, but buying discraft is annoying and they don't have 5 packs. Most of the people I play with throw judges, so it is tempting to try.

Any other thoughts?

headcase fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 15, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

I tried a fierce and I think its actually such a sick putter. The main issue is, like you noted, its discraft so good luck. They're $22 each and you can only get them in 1 very soft plastic. That one is based off a DD deputy I think.

One thing I would add though is you shouldn't be afraid to float or push putt a luna. Also push putting owns and will take you super far.

edit: this is such a meme at this point so I'm sorry, but if you go innova you can get DX factory seconds for 5 bucks each when you buy 10 at once. I've only tried the aviar and rhyno but they might make one that matches your description.

Thanks. Your post made me realize I'm doing a sloppy hybrid spin/push. Gonna try to focus on push.

I guess the problem with the luna is the disc speed and the fade. Even at 30 feet, i'm trying to hook it in. I guess because I'm not throwing it fast enough. People Say it's just a glorified roach, but It is pretty drat overstable.

I get that I have a form problem, but i feel like now might be the right time to change putters to something a little less finicky before I make drastic putting changes. That's why I'm soliciting some recommendations on people's favorite molds.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I think 225 is a hurdle you can pass by just making sure the disc goes within an inch of both nipples. Oh and walk up slow and then strike like a ninja. Those were the 2 things that got me going. Basically twirly bird stuff.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Insert distracted boyfriend meme with berg / glitch

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dead Nerve posted:

Moments with nature and then throwing a disc just perfectly is what it's all about. I bet that hawk enjoyed seeing your disc fly too.

I have had a big redtail hawk dive to get my disc after a drive. Luckily he balked at the last second and didn't fly away with it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My personal experience leads me to 2 answers:

Option 1:

The starter set is fine, and is the most cost effective way to see if you like what this is all about. You might outgrow it very quickly and start fine tuning your discs, but that is part of the fun. You will learn what you need or want to try next. The end.

option 2:

On the flip side, if you already think you are going to stick with it, you could get better discs and plastic. I can almost guarantee you that whichever starter discs you decide on, they will be replaced in short order. It is also very likely that you buy the wrong discs and have a bad experience because you are trying to throw a 13 speed. Don't buy a 13 speed 175g disc.

My recommended "starter set" would be a cryztal buzzz, a base plastic putter (aviar, roach, judge, etc), and a 168g teebird or leopard in star or gstar. Factory Seconds are great.

Some people say you shouldn't touch a driver for a while, but I think you should see what they do and immediately find out how wrong your form is.

I am not an expert. I started about a year ago. Others probably have better advice. Get a Buzzz they make the game fun and approachable.

headcase fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 15, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I like the shiny rubberized stuff. I guess the only problem with it is sometimes you lose a sizeable chunk if you hit metal or the right tree.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I found an unmarked nova today... worth a try?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I played my first rated round today. Shot even to place in the top third.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dead Nerve posted:

Shooting even sounds pro to me, awesome job!

It was a pretty casual thing, but fun to finally put a score in the books.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

joethesurly posted:

100% same for me, I tried a friend's lobster and I immediately went to get one for myself. I love that disc so much because it feels like a putter and has that same flip as one, but it has such fantastic glide and can take way more power than you'd expect.

Hmm maybe I should put mine back in the bag. I found a max weight custom died unmarked lobster a couple months ago. I'm just more comfortable with the paradox.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Anybody get anything cool for Xmas? I got a Upper Park Rebel and a cosmic neutron Envy

Got a custom tie dyed looking cryztal buzzz. Almost lost it under leaves 3 times already.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just added a lightweight wave to my bag even though I can barely throw 9 speed. Too many people told me I should try it

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

I own 6 and will probably buy another just for home putting practice, lol

TIL they sell 12 packs. I am thinking about switching to this for putting. I cant seem to get comfortable with any putter. Do y'all have any recs? I've put in time with aviar, fierce, and luna.

I almost exclusively throw envies on approach now, and had a 100 foot flick throw in from the rough today. Might as well learn to putt with it!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I want something I can get a million of easily, and i like the idea of not having a ton of different molds. This leads me to trying the envy. I just didn't realize its something people putt with.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Happy Fission Envy Day to all who celebrate

Thanks. You made drunk-me order an aqua special edition one that I don't need. I don't even know about the plastic.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Is there a mold in the fairway driver range that has big fade and glide numbers, but doesn't seek the ground? I just want it to keep going left at relatively low speeds. Maybe physics doesn't work that way.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Nice. Now I've got some Ideas. Yeah I run into a lot of dogleg holes and my teebird goes too straight, and my felon dies too early. I think I could get a Kaxe from my buddy.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

MVP resistor looks nice. Moarrr plastic

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Had a 108 foot throw in Sunday with, you guessed it, an Envy. Envy gang envy gang

I am pretty much throwing envy, zone, and hex on every shot I can. If I have some wide open space, I might chuck a wave or teebird3.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

I bought the watermelon and it’s done me good for almost 2 years. That said I play once a week maybe and it’s getting ragged. Splitting at the water bottle seams and the Velcro isn’t what is was. Wish they made a better model with the same footprint.

I just love my shift. Don't want anything bigger or smaller. It is a bit tipsy on hills though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Confirming Par Plastic mystery boxes are good, varied and rad.

lots of kasta?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Muir posted:

Might be Lots, might be Falk or Stal or Gote.

as long as it's not a big box of kaxe

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Lmao

Par Plastic rules. I got a mystery box from them and it was all quality. Some Kasta, some TSA, some Ledgestone, and a delightful Berg with a CAT-CAT stamp.

They were my favorite until I found Reaper, and started wanting more MVP family discs. Now I'm good on plastic, but will sometimes fall for a special drop or replace something from reaper.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I camped at Appling, GA this weekend and played all three IDGC courses twice. They were getting ready for the champion's cup this week, and pros that were not playing in NC were collecting and practicing. It was a good time. Interacted with Kat Mertsch the most because she was grinding like crazy and had to play through us twice.

e: also threw my newly minted fission envy into the lake never to be seen again

headcase fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 17, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Had the two best throws of my life these last two days. I threw my Underworld 270 feet up the gut on hole 10 at Seven Oaks (loving bricked the putt) and I parked hole 7 at Two Rivers 300 feet downhill (did not brick that putt). I love you, Underworld.

My underworld is the most understable disc I own except paradox. It flops over and almost goes roller immediately. I haven't tried getting into a hyzer flip rythm with it tho.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I put the underworld back in my bag today, and I like it. My form has developed a lot since I last used it and i can really control the turnover better than some faster discs. Got 2 birds with it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NFX posted:

People say this a lot, and while I agree that there's no point spending too much on the first discs, premium plastic often does feel really nice. Right until you throw away an "expensive" disc and can't find it.

A couple of days ago I lost a driver in a lake, first time I've done that. I tried looking for it, but could not find it, that sucked. Literally three hours later someone texted me, he'd fished out the disc looking for his own.

I started with a zone, a buzzz, and a leopard 3. The zone and champ leop3 were terrible choices. In retrospect, I wish I had started with a hard plastic envy for most shots. Just to master how it flies.

I threw a -7 today at the local today??? My previous personal best was -1. Not sure what happened. My new 168g fission hex was doing some major work.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Running up is overrated imo. Gets in the way more than it helps for most people I'd say. 350' is pretty doable for most people just standing at the front if they can drill the twirly bird well and believe they don't have to grab the disc like a vice. And it was no dig on you, disc golf should be chill as hell that's what it's all about. I just play with a couple stubborn beginners get decidedly unchill for the same reasons every time we play :3: We just chuckle to ourselves about it anymore.

Wait, you don't like gripping the disc like a vice? I just started gripping a lot harder and it seems to have tacked on about 30 feet.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I played dubs with a 67 year old guy that must have had carpal tunnel, and he looked like he couldn't even hold on to the disk. He used a loose looking 1.5 finger grip and was throwing further than me.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Was in the market for a new bag, since my DD Trooper bag is a bit rode hard and put away wet. Splurged for the Cheimburg Squatch bag, gets here tomorrow!! Ahh I'm excited.

I started practicing putting with dgputt and actually doing the proper exercises and stretches to uncramp my elbow, hoping to improve my game this year :bubblewoop:

Can you link they elbow exercises? Ive been having issues. Nice bag!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

These are the exercises that I saw a noticeable difference in my arm after just one week! It's wild how the isometric exercises helped me so much tbh. I'm a primarily forehand driver, thanks Ultimate, but these help to alleviate tension pain on my anconeus and brachioradialis.

https://youtu.be/z3PGELcFhMM

DG Strong I think has been rec'd in this topic before, but dude is great. I'm gonna see about trying the Turkish getup challenge he did as well, I'm a fan of whole body single exercises.

I've been using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066D6K4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which seems to work great when I actually do it. Word of warning though: It wobbles like a dildo and your wife will make fun of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Played a prodigy 4 round ironman today. So. Tired. It was good times though.