Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The weirdest thing for me is that at least Stokoe and Tradd Moore are left handed; I am also left handed (as is my brother) and all four of us were born in the same general era where at least in my experience as a young kid they had Handwriting Lessons in pre-school/early elementary that roughly amounted to "so uh here's how you hold a pencil. No, you're using the wrong hand. Are you sure? Okay, whatever, you're on your own."

Consequently a lot of left handed people I know have horrible "caveman clutching a tool they barely comprehend" pen grips. Mine's closer to Moore's, and I barely comprehend how Stokoe's works, but Larsen doesn't even have the excuse of being left handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think the identity of the Kindred has been published on record for over 25 years now.

The trademark, it would seem, has lapsed though.

This is probably meaningless, but Aegis Entertainment (the corporate name used for Jim Lee/Wildstorm) is still the mark owner of record for the following terms:

WildC.A.T.S. (and Voodoo, Zealot, and Maul)
Gen13 (and Grunge, Burnout, Freefall, Fairchild, and Rainmaker)
Stormwatch
Wetworks
Deathblow
Coda
Mr. Majestic
Top 10

Everything else you'd expect DC to have trademarked they do, but via separate filings as DC Comics, not Aegis Entertainment (owned by DC Comics)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Vincent posted:

I need input from someone else who's been reading early 80's and 90's comics. Is Timothy Truman racist or just has some huuuuuuuuuge blinspots? I very well could be over-reacting but I'm reading Hawkworld and then I checked out his Guns of the Dragons and yikes!
My guess is "a lot of blindspots". I haven't re-visited any of his work in at least twenty years, but my general impression of him was always "aging hippie" (I know he's a Deadhead). I know he's reviving Scout (his 1980s series that was kind of Mad Max, Except With An Apache Warrior As Mad Max) with his son, and it looks like he made a point to work with an indigenous artist/activist and hired two cultural consultants to work on the story with him, so at absolute worst (at present) he's a baby boomer who's trying his best not to be racist.

I can't speak to any of his older work, but if you were concerned he went full Chuck Dixon MAGA in his dotage, rest easy?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Willoughby Kipling exists because Grant Morrison was told he couldn't use John Constantine in his Doom Patrol run.

quote:

Willoughby Kipling was created because, at the time that his story was being written, editorial would not allow Grant Morrison to use John Constantine in his run on Doom Patrol (Volume 2) for fear of spoiling the realism of the character. Rather than base his replacement character on Sting's appearance (like Constantine was), Kipling is meant to look like Richard E. Grant's character Withnail in Withnail and I. Later, Phil Foglio was forced to create Ambrose Bierce when he was refused the use of both John Constantine and Willoughby Kipling.
I guess you could do something meta with the three of them, but by you already explicitly had "The Trenchcoat Brigade" of Constantine, Phantom Stranger, Mister E, and Doctor Occult, so adding two more parodies/photocopies into the group might have seemed excessive.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The 1990s Comic Book Trading Card Timeline, with links!

- The Liggett Group, producers of classic cigarette brands like L&M and Chesterfield, spin off all of their non-tobacco related interests into a company called Impel.
- Impel releases the first set of Marvel Universe trading cards

- Impel releases the first set of DC Comics Cosmic Cards. The Batman license is still tied to Topps because of the movies.
- Impel changes their name to Skybox, starts making 'premium' basketball cards in addition to Marvel Universe cards and other sets.
- This also leads to the first set of Marvel Masterpieces, a premium Marvel set
- Skybox also releases sets focused specifically on Spider-Man and the X-Men
- Marvel Entertainment purchases the Fleer trading card company for $540,000,000

- Despite now owning Fleer, Marvel still has a contract with Skybox, who in 1993 put out their now-annual Marvel Universe and DC Cosmic Cards sets (now featuring Batman), as well as new Masterpieces/Spider-Man/X-Men sets. They also do sets for the Death and Return of Superman, DC Bloodlines, Milestone, and Ultraverse, because everyone was doing too much in the 1990s.

- Marvel, free of their Skybox contract, spray out five Marvel sets at Fleer, along with a set for the newly purchased Ultraverse.
- Skybox puts out their own Ultraverse set before that license expires, plus a DC Universe set, along with sets for Batman, Superman, Sandman, and Vertigo
- This is also the year that the sports card market starts to collapse, both because of the speculator bubble bursting and because both MLB and NHL have labor disputes that shorten their seasons and limit interest in both sports

- Fleer starts putting out two sets a year for X-Men and Spider-Man cards, plus two general Marvel ones. They make a seventh Marvel set, which is Marvel vs. DC.
- Skybox is still putting out a couple of DC sets, plus they pick up the rights to do a Youngblood set about three years too late, as well as a set of "creator owned heroes" which is like the third and least memorable iteration of the concept done by other companies.
- Marvel Entertainment buys Skybox for $150,000,000. They also buy Panini for an amount I still can't find but was likely also low nine figures.
- Meanwhile the NBA (the main license Skybox has) also has a lock-out that hurts basketball card sales

- Fleer/Skybox (a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment) puts out at least three sets apiece for Spider-Man and the X-Men, plus sets for Amalgam Comics, Marvel Masterpieces, Wolverine, Onslaught, the Batman & Robin film, Kingdom Come, a couple of Batman sets, and tries making Collectible Card Games for both the DC and Marvel Universes.
- Marvel Entertainment files for bankruptcy in December, in no small part because corporate spent close to a billion dollars on trading card companies in the previous three years as revenues in that sector collapsed''

- Fleer still somehow puts out like eight Marvel trading card sets, including the bizarre "QFX" Set which is just garishly computed-colored Joe Quesada drawings photoshopped on top of photos of real-life NYC spots. This is long before Quesada had an editorial position at the company. They also did a Marvel vs. Wildstorm set that does not appear to be connected to any comics, though I know there were a few WildC.A.T.S./X-Men and maybe a Spider-Man/Backlash series put out around the same time.
- DC appears to have gotten out of the trading card game at this point.

- Marvel sells off Fleer/Skybox for less than $30,000,000 and by and large ending the glut of superhero trading cards

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

lifg posted:

I don’t know poo poo about trading cards, so I don’t know if the 90s was a golden age, but I remember buying a lot of “Little Shop of Horrors” card packs at a convenience store like 5 years after the movie came out, and in retrospect that’s a little weird.
Golden Age is a very weird way to describe it, but the early 1990s were definitely a boom period in the same way that the early 1990s were a boom period for comic books, which is very different from a "golden age".

The Little Shop of Horrors cards you mentioned would have come out at the same time as the movie, in 1986.

They were put out by Topps, who since the early 1950s were the sole licensee of Major League Baseball and sort of created the modern concept of 'trading cards' as something you buy a pack of, and get some cards and a sticker and some gum. Before that they were kind of all over the place, often included as the 'bonus' in boxes of candy or cereal or cigarettes. But Topps more or less popularized the concept of making baseball cards and just selling them to kids as "hey, get some baseball cards!" though there are various other attempts before/during Topps's ascent.

Topps tried a lot of others things (other sports, historical sets about the World Wars or Flags of the World, Davy Crockett and Hopalong Cassidy sets, infamously the Mars Attacks set) before sort of settling into two lines in the 1960s:

a) Photo cards for popular TV and films
b) "Humor" cards that seemed to be targeting the MAD Magazine audience, sometimes employing actual MAD cartoonists like Jack Davis

The film/TV ones got a huge boost in 1977 with the Star Wars cards, which seemed to make them scoop up as many licenses as possible; they'd always done them throughout the 1960s and 1970s (Planet of the Apes! Good Times! Star Trek! King Kong '76!) but after Star Wars it was anything they thought would be a big hit; 1978 alone had trading card sets for Superman: The Movie, Grease, Jaws, Close Encounters, Battlestar Galactica, Mork & Mindy, and Three's Company. This continued on for years, mostly chasing the Star Wars dragon.

Two other things happened in the early 1980s: much like the explosion of comic book stores, thousands of Baseball Card stores opened as well. Prior to (and maybe during) the 1980s, trading cards were sold/distributed by candy wholesalers, which makes sense because the main company (Topps) started out making Bazooka Joe bubble gum, and cards in general started as an incentive to buy candy (or again, cigarettes, but public relations killed that by the 1930s). They were also mostly found as impulse purchases by the checkouts at delis, drug stores, etc. Major League Baseball also licensed two other candy/gum companies (Fleer and Donruss) to make baseball cards starting in 1981, so things were poised to get big and dumb really quick.

Anyway that's a really long-winded answer as to why you found old Little Shop of Horrors cards at a convenience store in the 1990s. By the mid 1980s all of the companies were pumping out an insane number of cards, and while many of them went to dealers, a huge amount of them went into warehouses of candy distributors. Some probably just junked them at the end of their 'cycle', but some held onto them. There's a candy store in lower Manhattan that sells old trading card packs (including Little Shop of Horrors!) at their store, both physically and online. I would guess whoever ran your convenience store had the same idea, and the distributor was probably happy to get them out of the warehouse.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thanks E&C, that was incredibly informative! It's wild Fleer was bought for $540 million--I guess the notion that sports trading cards could ever have been an industry where one company could get bought for that much is eye opening to me. I can feel the sigh of relief from whoever owned Fleer at that time when the ink dried on that sale.
It's a really dumb deal in hindsight (and probably was a very dubious deal even at the time, but that's Perelman-era Marvel for you!) but trading cards were a multi-billion dollar industry in that moment, and it was probably roughly market value for the company, so long as you assume trading cards will continue to be popular forever. Buying Fleer also got you a set of (at the time limited to just a few companies) licenses to print MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL cards, which again, is a valuable long-term asset for a big entertainment company, if you assume the trading card boom will never end.

quote:

There were also a ton more sets than I'd imagined--the Vertigo series seems super strange to me, like I'm imagining the Endless across a series of 9 cards where they match up to form a complete composition in a 3 by 3 card sleeve in a binder.
The Vertigo cards were kind of cool actually! Though they were part of an inexplicable trend in the mid-1990s to make cards larger, which just meant you couldn't fit them into any of the sleeves or sheets or boxes that everyone buying cards had.

They also did the incredibly common thing that Impel/Marvel finally broke the mold of, which is assuming people would want to collect sets of trading cards that were just covers/interior panels of comic books. So the first half of the set is just covers of old Swamp Thing/Hellblazer/Sandman comics with a brief plot summary of the issue on the back. The rest were at least newly commissioned portraits, so if you ever wanted a Sebastian O or Enigma rookie card, you were in luck!

The Sebastian O one is a good example of the early stages of what OMN was talking about. People got way too enamored with the foil embossing and chromium and computer coloring and it felt like anyone trying to apply it was used to doing it to comic book sized things that could look cool if done properly, but looks like garbage at trading card size.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Uthor posted:

I love this 1992 set so much.
https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/74960/1992-Impel-Marvel-Universe

I bought what I thought was a complete set like 15 years ago, but turned out it was missing some cards. I should fill in those blanks...
I have way too many trading cards in some boxes on top of my closet that I can't bear to throw out but also have no use for, if you (or anyone reading this) has an urge to relive your childhood via trading cards please let me know. I promise those posts were not viral marketing for me to get rid of these trading cards.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I'm reading Batman: Dark Nights: Metal and I have a question. If all the evil Batmans come from the dark multiverse, and all the universes of the dark multiverse are created out of the fears of people in the main universe, how is the Aquaman Batman a woman?

I guess I can understand Batman coming up with some way to become King of Atlantis, and being afraid of doing that, which would spawn a dark universe where it happened, but that means the plan must've also involved him becoming a woman? If Bruce Wayne turned himself into a woman he could take over Atlantis?
This is likely more thought than anyone involved put into it, but at some point the Dark Multiverse were mirror images of "Not Dark" Multiverses, and So Earth 11 is a Regular Multiverse planet where literally everyone's gender is flippped so you have Batwoman and Superwoman and Wonder Man in the Justice League.

Therefore "The Drowned" is from Earth Negative 11, and is the deepest fear of that universe's Batwoman.

This is kind of consistent (though not terribly so) across all of the Dark Knights:

Earth 1: The home of Earth One graphic novels (aka movie pitches)
Earth -1: The Devastator, Batman becomes Doomsdays

Earth 12: Batman Beyond universe
Earth -12: The Merciless universe, where Batman is God of War

Earth 22: Kingdom Come universe
Earth -22: Batman Who Laughs (??)

Earth 32: Mash-em-up universe based on that Elseworlds where Batman Gets a Green Lantern Ring
Earth -32: Batman gets a Green Lantern ring, but evil

Earth 44: The Justice League are just all Doc Magnus's Metal Men, but also the Justice League
Earth -44: The Murder Machine, Batman turns into evil Cyborg

Earth 52: Unknown Mystery Universe!
Earth -52: Batman becomes an evil Flash

And then eventually they just stopped ascribing evil Batmans to specific universe and started saying there are hundreds or thousands of Dark Multiverses even though there are still only 52 'regular' universes, though I guess The Batmanhattan Who Laughs, The Darkest Knight has killed/eaten almost all of the regular multiverses so they can make there be more later.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

tinaun posted:

I'm trying to find a short comic that i remember being posted in the BYOB comics thread years ago, I think it was from a magazine originally - it was this 6-8 page comic about a house and the people who lived in it, all presented out of order, so one panel would contain a bit of it under construction besides a kid watching tv beside the same kid now an old man, etc
Possibly Richard McGuire's Here, from Raw Magazine?

If not, Chris Ware definitely did some sequences inspired by Here, as did apparently Alan Moore.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn, this Alec Robbins thing is hosed up.
Is this a Mr. Boop joke or did the creator of Mr. Boop (or a similarly named but unrelated person) do something that is actually hosed up and serious?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Spire Christian Comics was a company external from Archie, it was an imprint of a larger Christian book publisher that had been around since the 19th century but tried their hand at comics in the 1970s.

Al Hartley, one of the main Archie artists at the time (who worked on a bunch of pre-Marvel Marvel comics, co-created Night Nurse, and wrote a couple of early Iron Man and Giant Mans) had recently become a born again Christian and was apparently tossing so much Jesus into Archie that the editors at Archie told him to dial it back. He channeled that religious energy into a line of comics for Baker/Spire (most of them were adaptations of books already published at Baker, but eventually Hartley convinced the Archie brass to let him do some Christian stories starring the Riverdale gang).

One of those books was in fact "Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika".

Having read a bunch of the Archie Spire books, most of them aren't particularly crazy or interesting, they're boilerplate middle of the road Christian after school specials starring the Archie gang, so if you're expecting Jack Chick but with Jughead you will be disappointed. You can see a full checklist here.

Far weirder are the Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids comics, mainly because squaring Dennis the Menace's default hijinks with Christian piety is way harder than suggesting Archie lives a godly life.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Cocaine is a depressant that makes you numb and quiet and sleepy in the DC Universe, maybe DCU PETA is a sober-minded boots on the ground activist group.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Alaois posted:

its about time for an unabashedly pro ETA superhero
I think realistically out of all the ETA students only Ortho "The Darkness" Stice and maybe John NR Wayne have a shot at going pro in The Bigs, but I'm not sure either of them are particularly suited to be superheroes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How Wonderful! posted:

Ortho Stice basically had a supervillain origin story by the end of the book if I'm remembering right.
The "ghost counseling you through a long dark night of the soul" part is actually pretty superhero/supervillainy, but I had forgotten about the getting part of his face ripped off by leaning against a frozen window too long and probably getting possessed by said ghost portion of the book, which definitely veers into supervillain territory.

Of course John NR Wayne is a sleeper cell terrorist by the end, too.

Infinite Jest Superhero Sequel when, I guess?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

She's not a villain for very long though. I believe she was introduced in that annual and joined the x-men within like 3 years. Overall Gambit has probably spent more time as an X-villain.
It depends on what sort of timeline you're using.

Rogue was introduced explicitly as an antagonist and part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in Avengers Annual #11, released in August 1981. She appears a few more times as a Brotherhood member in various books, and quits the Brotherhood in X-Men #170 (March 1983) and joins the X-Men a month later (Uncanny X-Men #171, April 1983). So she's a villain for a little under two years, and maybe half a dozen appearances.

Gambit debuts in Uncanny X-Men #266 (June 1990) but is revealed years later (Uncanny X-Men #350, October 1997) to have been part of the Marauders/Mutant Massacre (Summer/Fall 1986) and banished from the team.

So technically (off-panel) Gambit was a bad guy for like four years. And he was banished from the X-Men when this was revealed, but he rejoined the team in UXM #361 (November 1998). So he was technically an X-Villain for either four years behind the scenes, or just under a year before they made amends.

Like a lot of "reformed" characters, they barely had a footprint in comics prior to their 'redemption', which is probably why some of them stick and others don't; Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow all had single digit number of appearances before they joined the Avengers, where someone like Sandman had several dozen before joining the Avengers. It's no wonder that inertia sent him (and countless others) back to Being Evil As Heck.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There are two Gumby one-shots (a Summer Fun Special and a Winter Fun Special) published in 1987-88 by Comico. Both of them are drawn by Art Adams, who is a very good and fun artist. The Summer Special is written by Bob Burden (of Flaming Carrot fame) and the Winter Special is written by Steve Purcell (of Sam & Max: Freelance Police fame) and they're both just fun weird funny romps that exist in part as an excuse for Art Adams to draw dinosaurs and pirates and aliens and anthopomorphic cities of bears and moles and demon clowns.

They're frustratingly out of print/not on Comixology, but there always seem to be a good number of each selling for under $5 a pop on eBay.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think it was definitely more of a "back issue find" once he picked up a following, I know that's how I picked it up. Though he definitely had a buzz about him (not hurt by him being an early adopter of Comics Pro On the Internet via Compuserve/Usenet) within a year or two of Hellstorm when he was doing Excalibur and Doom 2099. But pre-Hellstorm he'd done a bunch of comics journalism in the UK, some Lazarus Churchyard stories, and a back-up in a Ghost Rider Annual.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There's a Manga Megathread on the first page of BSS. It has a MANGA tag and everything.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think people are conflating two different stories.

1. Rob Liefeld, possibly inspired by a Byrne FF issue, drew part of an issue of Hawk & Dove in landscape mode and Karl Kesel had to cut and page back into portrait orientation

2. Later there was a Spider-Man/X-Force crossover that was solicited and hyped as a sort of "widescreen" event where both comics were drawn and printed to be read "sideways".

They obviously got editorial sign-off for #2, since from the outset it was promoted as a unique thing, not a surprise.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

If people are just proposing gangtags willy nilly

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

Which one showed up in Azbats era Batman?

Here is a list of Bloodlines characters. It includes the annuals in which they made their first appearance, and by clicking on each name a hyperlink directs you to a profile page for the individual character. The linked webpage profiles will also reveal what appearances each character made after their initial appearance in a Bloodline Annual.

The characters of Ballistic, Cardinal Sin, Geist, Joe Public, and Razorsharp all debuted in Batbook Annuals, during a period in which Azrael was Batman. I leave it as an exercise for those bold and committed enough to do the research to determine if any of them appeared in other Batman comic books of the period.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gosling Gal has a certain ring, but I suppose that's a ginger BEER, also geese have a bit of an image problem, though no worse I suppose than spiders or bats or wolverines.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How Wonderful! posted:

If this was just open season on sodas I'd go for Sierra Ms. and my sidekick would be Mountain Dude.
I feel like you could field an entire overstuffed team book with just Off Brand Lemon-Lime Soft Drinks: in addition to you and your sidekick, you've already got Surge and Sprite, and Storm as established heroes, add in The Moon Mister, Citrus Drop, The Hillbilly Hollerer, and the entire family tree of Shasta, the Living Mountain and you've got yourself a LAN party on Krakoa!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

This is one of my favorite bits of extremely low-stakes Wikipedia editing/vandalism.

The entire thing really, but specifically

quote:

The label of Dr Thunder has recently been redesigned to say that " You've never been deep, until you've been Dr Thunder deep."

quote:

We need a citation for this. I purchased a can of Dr. Thunder today with out the words on it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

To clarify the above posts, Joe Kelly was on JLA for about two years, starting with JLA #61 (December 2001) and ending with JLA #90 (November 2003).

I don't know the circumstances of how he left the book, though he did come back to write JLA #100 which led into a twelve issue Justice League Elite mini-series in 2004-5.

Immediately following Kelly's run was a Denny O'Neil/Tan Eng Huat arc in #91-93, which in turn was followed by THE TENTH CIRCLE, which was a John Byrne plotted/penciled arc that was designed as a backdoor pilot for Byrne's Doom Patrol revamp, in addition to introducing the new vampire menace CRUCIFER. Apparently Byrne and Claremont didn't interact meaningfullly in the production of book; Byrne had submitted penciled pages, which DC editors then handed off to Claremont to script and Ordway to ink as a "REUNION" event.

This team/'team' was never meant to be the permanent creatives on JLA, as this was during the period that Dan Didio and co. were chasing the dragon of HUSH and felt that having trade-ready 'single-title event' comics featuring big names was the way of the future, so post-Kelly JLA was

John Byrne and Chris Claremont's "THE TENTH CIRCLE" (#94-99)
Chuck Austen and Ron Garney's "PAIN OF THE GODS" (#101-106)
Kurt Busiek and Ron Garney's "SYNDICATE RULES" (#107-114)
Johns/Heinberg & Chris Batista's "CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE" (#115-119)
Bob Harras and Thomas Derenick's "WORLD WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE" (#120-125)

This eventually overlapped with/got replaced by the CLASSIFIED and CONFIDENTIAL lines of anthologies, which at least on paper probably had bigger names attached

JLA: Classified (launched the same month at JLA #108)
Grant Morrison & Ed McGuinness - "Ultramarine Corps" (#1-3)
Giffen/DeMatteis & Kevin Maguire - "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" (#4-9)
Warren Ellis and Jackson Guice - "New Maps of Hell" (#10-15)
Gail Simone & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez - "The Hypothetical Woman" (#16-21)
Steve Englehart & Thomas Derenick - "A Game of Chance" (#22-25)
Howard Chaykin & Killian Plunkett - "Secret History" (#26-31)
Dan Slott & Dan Jurgens - "The 4th Parallel" (#32-36)
Peter Milligan & Carlos D'Anda - "Kid Amazo" (#37-41)
Justin Gray & Rick Leonardi - "Martian Madness" (#42-46)
Mike W. Barr & Randy Green - "Repo Men" (#47-48)
Andrew Kreisberg & Paulo Siqueria - "To Live in Hearts We Leave Behind" (#49)
Roger Stern & John Byrne - "That Was Then, This is Now" (#50-54)

Some of this might have been trying to mark time for Brad Meltzer's big JLA run, which like so many books of the era had a lot of weird delays and fill-ins. Meltzer's JLA run launched the same month as JLA Classified 26 and a solid six months after the majority of ONE YEAR LATER books started/the above mentioned JLA run ended. The release schedule for Meltzer's run ran:

#1 - August 2006
#2 - September 2006
#3 - November 2006
#4 - December 2006
#5 - December 2006
#6 - March 2007
#7 - April 2007
#8 - April 2007 (fill in art by Shane Davis)
#8 - May 2007
#9 - May 2007
#10 - June 2007
#11 - July 2007 (fill in art by Gene Ha)
#12 - August 2007

And then Dwayne McDuffie came on for a short troubled run from #13-15, then #16 was a forced Tangent Universe one-shot by McDuffie, then Alan Bennett wrote #17-19, McDuffie was back for #20-28, #29 was a Len Wein one-shot, McDuffie wrapped things up in #30-34 after basically getting fired for complaining about all of the above, then Wein came back for three issues with Thomas Derenick (always ready to fill in) before the book got an actual regular writer again (James Robinson) who as I think I wrote up in a post last week got to write the book for 2-3 years while having at least half of his issues be tie-ins/crossovers to other books and events. Then the New 52 hit and since then JLA has at least (mostly) been allowed to have a long-term regular writer (Johns, then Snyder, and presumably soon Bendis)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 17, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Who was the dipfuck who came on the Superman titles, turned Lana Lang into a man-hating shrew, and finished his run under some really dumb alias because everyone hated it? Austen?
There's no possible way of looking up that information but I have a hunch that you are talking about Chuck Austen, yes.

Wild guess but Chuck Austen might have written Action Comics and he might have done an interview where he called Lois Lane a "gold digging bitch" and talked about how Lana Lang is actually a better partner for Superman because she loved him before he was "rich and famous", whereas Lois is only into Superman after he became a celebrity.

Lana Lang and I'm just sort of flying by the seat of my pants here, it's impossible to read or find articles about these comics, was less of a man hating shrew and more of a parade of characters (Batman, Wonder Woman, Ma Kent, etc.) who had speeches to Superman about how Lois Lane ain't poo poo and she should treat Superman better, and that Superman could do better.

This all might have happened in the last couple of issues of Action Comics credited to Chuck Austen, and then his Gog/Doomsday story might have been hastily wrapped up by "JD Finn". This might be more of an "Alan Smithee" thing after Eddie Berganza insisted on making big changes to the scripts as opposed to Chuck Austen taking on a sassy pseudonym.

Who knows, really? You might have been thinking of Peter Tomasi/Writer X.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Chuck Austen was (at least ostensibly) pro-Lana and was notable for being anti-Lois as laid out in this blog piece.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It really depends on how you are defining "bitter", Jack Kirby spent far more time doing interviews complaining (justifiably) about how he wasn't fairly credited or compensated for his creations, how Marvel wasn't returning his original art, etc. He did entire interviews and panels about how Marvel Entertainment Group were crooks, Stan Lee never created anything, and on several occasions took credit for characters he appears to have been only loosely involved with, such as Spider-Man. Kirby was by most accounts a friendly, generous guy who spent the last decade and a half of his life full of ill will towards Marvel's management and the comic book industry.

Steve Ditko is tougher to see into the heart of, mainly because from the limited accounts we have he was someone who claimed to not receive or want money for the Spider-Man movies/licensing because "I have not worked on Spider-Man since 1968" but also apparently did receive money and royalties. He would talk about not caring about his old dead work but also write angry letters to mainstream publications who didn't co-credit him alongside Stan Lee for creating the character. Jack Kirby went through a protracted legal battle to get some of his classic original art back from Marvel to be part of his family's legacy/inheritance, Ditko apparently always had his art to the original Spider-Man stories and would cut it up to use for other projects or ink blotting or just scrap paper. Because the art was meaningless he could claim after it was published.

So they both 'went down a path', and 'bitterness' is a hard thing to quantify/see into the heart of. Both of them (and countless others) have a right to be upset about not benefitting (sufficiently or at all) for their contributions/creations that built a multi-billion dollar global juggernaut, but it's hard to tell where Ditko's Objectivism ends and his bitterness begins.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

If I made something and someone else took it and profited from it without me, I'd be whatever you wanna call it too honestly. It's hosed up, same as what happened to siegel and shuster, alan moore, and countless others. I wish that was talked about more often, it's rare that people know the story behind some of these coming up on a century-old franchises.
I'm not arguing that and maybe I'm in a bubble but I feel like people talk about it a lot. My main point was that the assertion that Ditko was turned into "a total dick" by getting screwed over for Spider-Man/Dr. Strange/et al and that it was the root of his bitterness, a bitterness Kirby never felt, is not an accurate statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Uthor posted:

I'm by no means an expert on the history of comics, but I enjoyed this book about how the companies were built by gangsters to make an easy buck and that attitude is kinda built into the system.
I also enjoyed that book when it was released, but anyone looking to buy/read it now should probably be aware that the author is currently in federal prison on child pornography charges.