Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1285594127258787841?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Man flopping and Marvel having to sell a lot of their IPs could be a fun recent divergence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/WilliamD1123/status/1287305443207938048?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really enjoyed Rat Queens but then it ended or went on hiatus or whatever after volume 3, and when it came back I forgot to start reading it again. Until now! I just read volume 4. It's not as good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are release dates of upcoming comics posted anywhere?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

This thread

The dates are only available a week in advance? I was hoping to see when exactly Ultraman and Marneus Calgar start, but they're both at least a month away.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Individual titles you can usually just google search but I don't think there's a hard release date for those yet. Everything I can find just says "September" for Ultraman.

I guess I'll check when we're clsoer to September. Thanks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Greekonomics posted:

Comixology has it coming out on September 9.

Oh cool, thanks. And they have the date for Marneus Calgar, October 14th.

It also says that both of those are issues 1 (of 5). Which is new and unhappy news.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Roth posted:

The Ultraman series is titled 'The Rise of Ultraman' which does give the impression that it could lead into an ongoing.

I certainly hope so. Those are two franchises that could easily support multiple ongoings and big crossover events. the yearly Ultraman series and Black Library novels already do a totally satisfactory job telling discrete, finite stories. If the Marvel comics do the same thing then that'll be a waste.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yvonmukluk posted:

https://twitter.com/enthusiamy/status/1289258279340658689

So what heroes would fit this hypothetical criteria?

If The Slingers had been rebooted with a new team in 2015

And also if The Slingers had lasted 9 years instead of barely one year

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We are closer in time to the life of Christ than he was to the construction of the pyramids of Giza.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Have they run away yet?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uthor posted:

I'd like to see some pretty art to break up the angry politics that is my Twitter timeline. Anyone have some accounts that I can follow, either artists or an aggregate (with proper attribution)?

Good illustrations and pixel animations

https://twitter.com/waneella_/status/1291702427763322882?s=20

Little square landscape cutout things that are cool

https://twitter.com/gozz_sss/status/1264118803081785344?s=20

Fantastic sci-fi concept art

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1287866257069338624?s=20

a couple of excellent miniature makers

https://twitter.com/yu5ukejbk/status/1279018545897078791?s=20

https://twitter.com/haswano/status/1291221859644485633?s=20

and most importantly, just women in full victorian maid outfits on skateboards

https://twitter.com/suzushiro333/status/1287703041936781313?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Earlier this year when I was worried about comic shops not surviving, I was just thinking about how they'd get through the lockdowns and deal with reduced demand. It didn't occur to me that they were also going to have less stuff to sell as companies close departments and end product lines to save money.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Oh wow, I knew there were a lot of hiccups but I thought (before this latest news about DC) it would ultimately be better for the floppy industry as a whole in the long term.

Are we confident that the floppy industry has a long term?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

How much does it cost Marvel to print a 24 page comic and ship it to a retailer? Does anyone have a close estimate?

Does Marvel do it's printing in house, or do they contract it out to another company?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sorry, off topic to the current discussion but important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eumtx4wqRY

Ultraman and Ultraseven are gonna fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dawgstar posted:

A group called Quad/Graphics, if I remember right. It used to be really hard to find out who printed what, and maybe still is.

I am not a business person, but I assume that makes floppies a bit safer. Since some Disney some Disney bean counter isn't looking at the expenses of maintaining a whole print shop for such a niche product.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

site posted:

Before you just say well comics are x right now so if they go digital it could be a even less, you should price in the fact that they should be paying everyone like double what they are getting and then figure out a cost

They could double wages while keeping costs the same simply by having the artists also write the comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, basically Boom MMPR but with Ultraman?

I don't know enough about Boom MMPR to confirm or deny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1297302288948748288?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/ethan_kraft/status/1299528829019578368?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm reading Batman: Dark Nights: Metal and I have a question. If all the evil Batmans come from the dark multiverse, and all the universes of the dark multiverse are created out of the fears of people in the main universe, how is the Aquaman Batman a woman?

I guess I can understand Batman coming up with some way to become King of Atlantis, and being afraid of doing that, which would spawn a dark universe where it happened, but that means the plan must've also involved him becoming a woman? If Bruce Wayne turned himself into a woman he could take over Atlantis?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edge & Christian posted:

This is likely more thought than anyone involved put into it, but at some point the Dark Multiverse were mirror images of "Not Dark" Multiverses, and So Earth 11 is a Regular Multiverse planet where literally everyone's gender is flippped so you have Batwoman and Superwoman and Wonder Man in the Justice League.

Therefore "The Drowned" is from Earth Negative 11, and is the deepest fear of that universe's Batwoman.

This is kind of consistent (though not terribly so) across all of the Dark Knights:

Earth 1: The home of Earth One graphic novels (aka movie pitches)
Earth -1: The Devastator, Batman becomes Doomsdays

Earth 12: Batman Beyond universe
Earth -12: The Merciless universe, where Batman is God of War

Earth 22: Kingdom Come universe
Earth -22: Batman Who Laughs (??)

Earth 32: Mash-em-up universe based on that Elseworlds where Batman Gets a Green Lantern Ring
Earth -32: Batman gets a Green Lantern ring, but evil

Earth 44: The Justice League are just all Doc Magnus's Metal Men, but also the Justice League
Earth -44: The Murder Machine, Batman turns into evil Cyborg

Earth 52: Unknown Mystery Universe!
Earth -52: Batman becomes an evil Flash

And then eventually they just stopped ascribing evil Batmans to specific universe and started saying there are hundreds or thousands of Dark Multiverses even though there are still only 52 'regular' universes, though I guess The Batmanhattan Who Laughs, The Darkest Knight has killed/eaten almost all of the regular multiverses so they can make there be more later.

So the evil Batmans predate Metal? Because in the Metal series they say there's an infinite number of dark universes, and they specifically call out Devastator as being what Batman could've done if he went crazy experimenting with the Doomsday Virus. And since the whole thing deals heavily with Batman's own fear of failure, and characters losing faith in him because of or having faith in him despite these secret fears of his. So if they're actually fears of completely different Bruce Waynes from alternate universes, that makes no sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nevermind, towards the end lady Aquaman Batman mentions her dad Martin Wayne. So she really is the evil version of someone else. Which kinda sucks. It weakens the story if they aren't all evil versions of the real Batman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

That is a very dumb and bad take

No, I'm right. Batman's whole thing is that he spends 30 years trapped in timelines or hallucinations or whatever where he fails, but he's able to overcome it and find hope again. And Nightwing, after seeing all the evil Batmans loses hope in Bruce, which is contrasted with Superman who still believes in him. All of that is strengthened if all the evil Batmans are versions of Batman. If Batman overcomes them, it proves that the him who didn't renounce his moral code is stronger than the hims who did. It makes Nightwin'g's despair way more believable if the evil Batmans who have been kill people are different versions of his Batman. And it makes Superman's faith in his friend more inspiring if he has seen all the different horrible things his friend could've become.

But if they aren't, if they're all just evil versions of different people? That doesn't strengthen it at all. This is what would've happened if someone like Bruce (but not Bruce) had failed in a way particular to their situation in their universe. That is way weaker, thematically.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1303374915400335362?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn, this Alec Robbins thing is hosed up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this a Mr. Boop joke or did the creator of Mr. Boop (or a similarly named but unrelated person) do something that is actually hosed up and serious?

He has publicly admitted that he was lying the entire time. He was never actually married to Betty Boop

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1303339904454111232?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How Wonderful! posted:

Unless I really missed something this afternoon it's a Mr. Boop joke that was just posted in a supremely unhelpful way.

Gripweed please post with a little more substance or at least space out the lighter stuff a little.

Gamer Dilbert is back and is going some pretty intense places. I almost posted about it but I couldn't remember if I was probated here or in Games for posting about Gamer Dilbert before, so I played it safe and didn't say anything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm not going to defend Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika (or, as later editions helpfully clarified, Hansi, the Girl Who Left the Swastika, or as it was originally published, I Changed Gods) as a masterpiece or anything but it is also definitely not a full-throated love-letter to Adolf Hitler or whatever. Hirschmann was for sure a mainstay of evangelical circles that skewed increasingly conservative (see her not atypical statements about Obama during his presidency) but the manifest content is definitely positioning Christianity as the enemy of Nazism from a bluntly pro-Christian perspective. The cover is meant to be provocative-- to get people to go "whoa" and pick it up, even to prey a bit on public appetites for salacious or gruesome content (a tactic well-known in American evangelism all the way back to Charles Finney and prior). This was de rigueur for Christian publishers, particularly Born Again-adjacent publishers, from the post-war period onwards: see for example Hal Lindsey's 1972 Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth.

If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do? Is one of my favorite movie titles of all time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1305561952068878338?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just found out Mike Allred did a comic version of the Book of Mormon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Batman in Scotland is very Sottish. And it made me realize that while Frank Quitely is a great artist, his art really works best when it's depicting Scotland and the Scottish people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yep. Although nothing beats the Antony and Cleopatra parody where we learn that on Melmac, cats were at one point a sentient, upright-walking species.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

He's definitely winning and it sucks.

After the past four years I can't imagine confidently predicting the outcome of any specific future political event.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s not like DC tries to court conservatives, it’s just Marvel has always tried to appeal to the cool college liberal since the Stan Lee days.

Also DC did replace a lot of their new PoC characters with the old white guy originals a few years back.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read a bit of Ultimate Spider-Man, which I had heard was good, but wasn't. It focused so much on how being a superhero was actually terrible and made Peter's life really depressing. At one point they threw in a fun stand alone story about Wolverine and Peter Parker switching bodies, just to cheer things up. In which Wolverine used being in Peter Parker's body to make out with high school girls without them knowing who he really was.

I'm glad they killed that Spider-man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

bobkatt013 posted:

So Spider-Man?

At least regular Spider-Man is an adult and an established hero with hero connections and friends. Ultimate Spider-Man was a child. So when Nick Fury or whoever shows up and has a job for him, or when he teams up with the X-Men just laugh at the fact that he's just a little kid, it really makes it clear that oh yeah, he should not be doing this. Nobody should be giving him task or humoring him with his incredibly dangerous hobby. The whole thing was very hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

That's a gross exaggeration of what actually happened.

It's been a few years since I read it so maybe I've exaggerated how grim it was in my mind, but that was definitely what stuck out to me while I read it and it's why I stopped reading it when Gwen Stacy got brutally murdered.