Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

powderific posted:

My just turning 2 year old is really into bicycles all of a sudden so I'm looking to take her with me on my bike and maybe get a balance bike for her to start learning. A friend has an old balance bike we can use, but for having her on my bike not sure the best approach and wanted to check. Thinking I'd get a Thule Yepp Next Maxi rack mount to put on my Midnight Special, and then if she likes it maybe pick up a cargo bike so I can keep the midnight special more commuter-y for me. Buuut, I notice that Tubus, who makes my rack, adamantly recommend against putting child seats on it. Thule makes a Yepp rack that gets middling reviews, are there any other suggested options? I've also noticed that the Yuba Kombi is "only" $1200 ha.

I went with a Burley trailer for my just-turned-one-year-old. I had also originally though about seats, but a coworker pointed out how much of a pain in the rear end getting a kid in and out would be, as he had experienced. You’d need a solid kick/centerstand to be able to do it easily without a second person.

I’ve only done a few rides with the trailer but it’s surprisingly easy to ride with. The big downside is the kid’s obviously far behind you and you have to stop and dismount to help them with anything.

In my limited experience I’d say either go trailer or get a dedicated bike for it, likely cargo style with a great center stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

kimbo305 posted:

For me, I don't want to deal with the extra navigation chore of looking for bumps on 3 separate tracks and trying to set a compromise so's not to upset the trailer too much.
There's also a few spots on the daycare route where I'm just on the street, no bike lane, so the narrower I am, lane taking or no, the less risky I feel. I've gotten a handful of absolutely outrage inducing close passes, like 6" by a public bus or dump truck. Feel a tiny bit better that my hands are the widest part of this setup, and if I got clipped there, maybe the vehicle would be past before we tipped over to the left.

Yeah, I get that. When I was still in the city I 100% planned on doing the cargo bike/kid seat setup. Lots of narrow/missing bike lanes and packed MUPs would have been totally unsuitable for a trailer - and I never saw one in use there, but saw kids on cargo bikes daily.

Here in the exurbs I’ve got tons of space on super quiet residential streets and empty sidewalks, so for cruising around the trailer’s extra width isn’t a burden. The risk level would be the same with a kid in a seat. And we’re just cruising for fun now, so I can stick to just routes that feel safe and quiet (and when the kid is school age, that’ll be easy to get to). If I were biking with her more I’d probably go back to wanting a cargo bike setup.

Turns out there’s no universal answer!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Oldstench posted:

I'm going to vent for a moment. I'm a big dude now - 6'6", 395lbs. Quitting alcohol and dealing with serious mental health issues was the trigger for me ballooning to my current lovely state. It's my fault that I cross-addicted to food, so I'm not trying to push blame anywhere. I'm finally ready to get back out on the bike as it's the only exercise I can actually stand to do. Unfortunately, there are no road bikes that will support my fat rear end that I can find. Sure, I can probably get someone to custom make a frame, but that's gonna be $$$$ that I can't afford, and that would just be the frame. I honestly don't even know if they make tubeless slicks that would support me. The other option seems to be high-end touring ebikes. Those are way outside of my price range and I don't want an ebike.

It's a shame there isn't a market for bikes for heavy riders. I don't get it. Seems like a no-brainer. There will always be fat people looking to get in shape, and biking is both fun as poo poo and really easy on the back/knees. :(

Zize Bikes makes bikes specifically for heavier and taller riders, with rated limits up to 550 lbs

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

e.pilot posted:

wait I thought it was the boomers that had the worst lead poisoning

Gen X got it as kids, which is worse

Crumps Brother posted:

Bike rack question! We're about to that time of the year where I put the bike rack on my car and just leave it there all winter long cuz it's easier. What should I be doing beforehand for cleanup and/or prep of the parts? I'm thinking of things like grease or antisieze on contact points. Maybe something to clean some rust off of current parts. I'm open to whatever. I'd like to take a little better care of it than I have done in previous seasons.

As mentioned there’s all sorts of rust converter/covering stuff you can spray or brush on - literally part of what gives Rustoleum its name. And for anything you can’t paint something like Fluid Film spray will put a rust-preventing layer on it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of tanwall:

I'm "restoring"/building up an old Huffy ladies' style step thru "mountain bike" that I got at goodwill for $10 into a cruiser/very short distance commuter/beach bike, complete with color matched cooler panniers

It's gonna be sick

It needs 26" tubes/tires, how good/bad are the Billy Bonkers for that purpose?

They seem to have a reputation for being instagram-pretty but not durable/not made for streets.

I don't need tanwall, tanwall is probably too much for what this bike is gonna look like (its stock colors are grey, teal, and purple and I'm color coordinating the new grips, pedals, and cable housings) but I like the option, and more importantly I like the price. I don't wanna drop $100 on tires for this thing I've already spent too much as it is. Any other tire suggestions I should consider? In all honesty this bike isn't gonna see a fuckton of use, it's a fun bike and not a workhorse that I'm gonna like ever be reliant on, but I don't want to take it out on a street and immediately lose a tire/etc.

Maxxis DTH has similar looks and is supposedly more durable. I just put a set on an old Trek 970 I’m fixing up but haven’t ridden it yet so I can’t personally vouch for them.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Bouillon Rube posted:

Anyone have experience with this type of trailer?

Trying to decide between the two-child carrier and the one-child version- I only have on kid (2 years old/20lb) but the two-child version is much cheaper. Would just having one kid in it throw the balance off//make the ride bumpier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFHTJC7?ie=UTF8&tag=giftful04-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07FFHTJC7&th=1&psc=1

I’ve got a 2-seat Burley and my one kid doesn’t seem to mind. I haven’t used a 1-seat so I can’t really compare directly, but it never seems off balance and I can’t tell when the kid is on one side or the other.

The 2-seat would give you more space for bringing other stuff with you, like a diaper bag or toys or groceries, which could be nice.

The only negative to the 2-seat for 1 kid I’d mention is that because they have kinda hammock-like seats, kids might be slightly tipped to the center, whereas in a 1-seat they’d be centered in it. But I really don’t think it’s a problem.

Probably easier to load one kid in the bigger trailer too - just more space to maneuver.

Unsolicited, but I’d also check around your used marked for a Burley or Thule. Those Allens are probably fine but look a little slapdash to me, and people are unloading nicer used ones all the time.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Speaking of tubeless, what’s the reality of sealant drying out if a bike isn’t used for a while? We talking weeks, months, years? Weather and dadlife can keep me from getting out for 1-2 months at a time.

I’d really like to replace my Marathons with something lighter and more comfortable now that I’m not commuting through Seattle’s industrial area (not commuting at all, even). The worst I face here are some goatheads which seem like they’d be perfectly addressed by tubeless (and my rims are tubeless compatible, maybe even tubeless-ready from the factory, though I don’t remember).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Residency Evil posted:

Figure this is as good a thread to ask in as any: does anyone have any experience with those Strider-style bikes for toddlers? It seems like the Woom bikes get the best reviews, but are also significantly more expensive and I'm not sure how much it matters for something he'll be using for a year.

I almost bought a Woom - there's actually a dealer nearby, which is uncommon - but ended up with a regular Strider instead. My kid was kind of in-between Woom sizes, and ultimately couldn't justify the extra cost. If you can find one used I'd totally go that route though.

Besides weight as people mentioned, the other two big differentiators seem to be tire types and brakes. The Strider has pretty hard solid foam tires, which are adequate, but I think having real tires would be a lot more comfortable and grip a lot better, which might make a kid feel more confident and ride more. Especially off pavement.

The other is brakes. Wooms come with handbrakes, which would be a great skill to learn, and they make a pretty convincing case against coaster brakes for kid's bikes (not being able to pedal backwards makes it harder to get comfortable, basically). But unless you're going to commit to only putting your kid on bikes with handbrakes, I think it's moot having it at the balance bike stage. Every kid's pedal bike in the US is legally required to have coaster brakes, even the ones with handbrakes, so you really have to go out of your way to avoid them (Woom sells a non-coaster-brake wheel separately, since they can't sell it on the bike).

One nitpick on the Strider: the handlebars are almost straight, with only a slight bend, but it's real easy for a kid to end up riding with the handlebars backwards. They should've just made it a straight bar!