Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Anyone using the PD ES600 pedal? There is little information out there but one scathing review saying that the weighting causes it to not rest in the right position for clipping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Cracking spring day in Sydney today, best thing about covid is being able to ride more.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Pimp my bike.

Some pretty lairy bikes in here, suggestions for cages, bar tape, saddle bag, what else?

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
So I've started doing more climbing rides, and I'm finding that my setup just isn't right for the steep sections at my capability.

Currently have Shimano, 52/36 up front and 11-30 cassette.

For anything but climbing I really like this set up, can always find a nice sweet spot.

I'm thinking I'll need to go to 11-34 but that seems to come with a significant change across the shifting range. The difference between 30 and 32 seems insignificant, but keeps the current ratios the same pretty much.

Only other option is changing up the chainrings? I do like blasting down a long flat fast...anyone been though this thought process before?

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How steep are the gradients? Shimano says the official gap between the front chainrings shouldn’t exceed 16t, but people have run 52/34 without issues. That would certainly be the cheapest option.

If you have a short cage Ultegra RD then an 11-30 cassette is the largest you can officially run, so you’d need to budget for that as well.

This is the climb that spanks me:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35403901

I'll have to check the RD when I get home.
Cranks are FSA.
My knees were not good after this but I've only done it twice so far.

Or you know, just toughen up.

Sticky Date fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 15, 2021

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

Thanks! And an 11-30 just goes straight on? I've read that the shifting might be "sluggish". Also, would I need to do anything about the length of my chain?

Crank's a 52-36

I have literally just set up my new core with a 11-32 on the bike 11-30 on the core, ultegra short (edit - sorry no mines a medium) cage, and it's fine.

Crank also a 52-36.

Wierdest part for me is that my rear hub is 135mm apparently, 2019 cannondale supersix says it should be 130, but I measured it with calipers.

Sticky Date fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 27, 2021

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think last time I had to use the zip tie trick. I have levers of course. I need a way to put force on it without using my thumb. I could probably just patch the tube, right? Do I need to patch the tire for such a small puncture? It was a staplegun staple.

(I just realized this should be in the maintenance thread, but that's the same group of posters, right)

This popped up in my YouTube feed recently, can't vouch for it personally but there are plenty of people out there singing its praises
https://youtu.be/DF8_oyyADFA

No you don't need to patch the tyre.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Anything I need to be wary of buying second hand carbon road wheels? Disk brake.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion the bike shop screwed up my Aspero 5 order and now I have to decide between taking a Lime Shimmer or waiting probably another few months for the Purple Sunset I requested… #DentistProblems

I haven't seen one in real life but that lime shimmer looks pretty cool.

Sticky Date fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 13, 2022

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

e: For contrast, I also raced on Pro One TT TLE tires and got like 19 punctures in 9 weeks, four of which required DynaPlugs. These tires also tried to kill GoodDog.

I love the way these tyres feel but my experience is the same, on my 3rd dynaplug and sick of cleaning up sealant off the bike. Not to mention all the little cuts that did seal. My previous GPs didn't have any issues.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
I was looking at getting some custom jerseys made for an upcoming ride, can anyone link me to the company that made bearpope? No issues with them I assume? Cheers.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Anyway, for content:

I recently ordered new shoes from Lake. They're the CX238, which is a $350 shoe. Am I in the right to this this looks like seconds quality? There's glue residue in the BOA eyelets, all the loose fabric edges look like poo poo, the some black staining from ink or something, errors in the stitching?

Looks nothing like the pics from this review https://road.cc/content/review/lake-cx238-carbon-road-shoe-278103.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
I'm 40....I've gone back to uni to change careers, I have a wife and 2 kids. I've got a road bike and now a mountain bike. I just want to ride bikes every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Thread consensus is Orange Seal right?