Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mystes posted:

The part at 2:00 is completely nauseating and I can't stop laughing.

feels like riding on the back of someone travelling on a pogo stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a puncture and fixed it with a plug but should i bother doing anything further to repair it at home? it held pressure fine for like 60km and all i've done now is cut it down a bit so it's sticking out a little less. I'll put more sealant in when i can be bothered of course.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

Not unless it becomes dislodged somehow. The cut-off end will squash down pretty well over time.

Cool, last few times i've had to use plugs the tyres been a write off because the rip was so big but this one was just a chunk of glass on the verge so the tear wasn't so massive. Quite glad it worked!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Let people pass if you're on quiet one lane country roads. don't fight drivers or chase drivers or do any dumb poo poo like that. it's all too much hassle and they'll just think you're an insane twat.

Inevitably you'll probably get hit by a car at some point. I've been winged a few times and even if the driver hits and runs the police don't give a crap so just don't worry about it honestly and just ride bikes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

Clarification is probably good here.

If a quiet country road has one lane in each direction, the motorist should switch lanes completely to make the pass. If it's a truly narrow road, then occupy the lane until they have slowed, then move to the side when it is safe to do so. I tend to ride near the shoulder, but still make myself wide enough so a driver is discouraged from passing. Motorists usually understand than I will give them room when it is appropriate to do so. I also hold my hand out and down, palm facing backward to make sure the driver gets the point, then give them a thumb-up when it's safe to pass.

Well I can probably count on one hand the number of cars which safely overtake me every day but I'm usually happy as long as I can't elbow their mirror but i do agree with everything there. I should note I do ride defensively before anyone says I should hog the lane to stop that, but even with a mile of straight road and no oncoming traffic people will still brush past you. People in cars who don't ride bikes just don't get that they're doing anything wrong.

jesus WEP posted:

Most motorists really appreciate this kind of communication in my experience. You’ll never please the turbomad bike haters ofc, but I often get hazard light flashes or a friendly beep and wave when I actively signal a driver to go past me.

The worst is when someone honks their horn as a friendly gesture RIGHT NEXT to you. That poo poo is loud.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

ooof I took my bike to the shop to have them diagnose the shifter and it's hosed, they want 100 bucks more just for the part than Amazon charges :argh: I don't really want to do the labor in this but ugh at that markup

I think my experience is probably unique but i've been hosed over a few times by small bike shops doing work on my bike i've not asked for. I dunno what it is about the bike industry but the workshops seem to be chaotically managed with different staff all the time not keeping track of anything or just insanely grumpy and rude here in the UK. The work must really suck or something.

but anyway it's sadly lead me to trust the big chain shops more. i'd say don't feel bad and buy the part from amazon.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 4, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

golden bells posted:

I think it's because I'm a lady, but men frequently lie to me about their height. Dudes who are my height (5'4"/163cm) telling me they're 5'10"

There was someone else in here ages ago who also worked in a bike shop who said dudes who needed small bike frames would often be trying to buy large frames on sale.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I love bicycle press

wowza

you could probably make something which is basically the same for $1500. it wont be able to stand up but whatever.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

AriTheDog posted:

Rohloff gets you near $1500 to begin with. Bafaang mid drive and battery is like a thousand alone. Never mind any of the other components.

My bafang mid drive cost me £400 and then £300 for a big 52v 17ah battery. I stuck it on my mountain bike but my dream is to put it on one of these.

30-40mph on a cargo bike. hell yeah.

e: and it cost like £1k! could do it for a bit less if you were okay with just a hub motor.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 11, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Supposedly tubeless has less rolling resistance too but not sure about that

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wait is that really a weird sarcastic article about how the simplicity of rim brakes is better than disc but also on a bike with dumbass internal cable routing?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

yeah, I could pull that piece of metal out, reinflate, and be on my way

clean round punctures like that are tubeless’s bread and butter

I run tubeless and I find it very unlikely it would be able to seal up a hole that size! You'd definitely need to put a plug in something like that to seal it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Perfect example of STDH.txt

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

no no no, you see it's actually good we've destroyed our economy and struck a deal with the EU which is in every way worst than just being a member of the EU because now we can control our fishing more which makes up 0.1% of our economy!!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just wear the headpones in only ear and can still hear traffic just fine.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I had a squeeking/creaking noise and it was because of my weird super long quick release i have to attach a rear rack. I think I wasn't doing it up tight enough so i put some grease on it, i dunno if this did anything, and tried to get it as tight as possible and that seemed to fix it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I once saw a dude coming down a steep hill on a unicycle and it looked like the most dangerous thing ever.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

Don’t mount your phone to your handlebars, the camera mechanism isn’t built to handle that kind of vibration and it will break it eventually, whether you’re using the camera or not.

I think this is isn't true because i've done loads of off road bike touring on rigid bikes, and ive never broken the camera, and i'll have the phone mounted on the bars 24/7.

then again a bar mounted phone would probably record terrible footage

e: also work on my bicycle deliverying food and have the phone mounted for navigation. only broke it when it fell off and i ran it over.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 16, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Not a nice story but it’s why you never mount your only phone to your bike - yesterday morning my dog found a motorcyclist with a broken leg in a ditch who had been there all night after a hit and run. He’d gone one side of the road, his bike the other and his phone was on the bike as a gps, smashed and with no battery left.

It was a mild night and they said it was a clean break so he should be fine.

You should be posting this in the UK thread too (the good uk thread)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Time posted:

I read that thread but nothing in that particular discussion seems super helpful to getting this specific set of very loose tires seated correctly. I can easily reach under them with my finger to touch the other seated wall and it just won’t hold any amount of air I throw at it.

That sounds a bit hosed! could that tyre/rim combo just hate each other? might be worth just using the tube. I had a WTB resolute do the same thing but i had a air bottle and trackstand pump, and loads of time, to force it on.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Apparently so many people made memes and jokes of this that Silca had to post a statement about it.

What a bizarre statement

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Preordered a ebike https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current for the Costco price of $2600 feel free to tell me how I'm a dumb idiot and should have bought something else.

im annoyed that in america it's legal to sell a 28mph ebike but police here in the UK are fuckers and keep stealing ebikes here which go above 15mph

throttles aren't even legal :( we're such a backwards poo poo hole

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Nah, I think it's probably a perfectly fine ebike. Does it say who makes the motor/battery?

I'll be honest, I rarely ride above 15 or 16 mph on a normal cyclepath or bike lane anyway. I've never ridden with a throttle. I can see how it'd be nice for a little bomp off the line, but it's never seemed that necessary.

They're fun! quite useful for squeezing between traffic and the pavement (sidewalk?) so you don't pedal strike the curb. I find 17-18 mph the sweet spot on the road personally.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

If you want a bike with a throttle that goes 28mph get a moped.

ebikes are better though, you don't have to worry about when you can or can't be in bus lanes or dumb stuff like where you can or can't park.

e: also unless you have crazy wide handlebars it's easier to filter between traffic on a bicycle

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 21, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

multijoe posted:

So, I got a puncture out last night (tubeless setup), I've had a look at it this morning and there's a very small shard of gravel lodged into the tyre that the sealant has dried around and really doesn't want to come out. Would there be any harm in just leaving it in there or is that the type of thing that is likely to cause more problems down the line?

I heard that hard things will move around in the tyre and create a bigger hole eventually, but honestly you'll probably dig out a bigger hole by trying to remove it too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got some serious ocd over route planning so i meticulously plot my own rides and do a bunch of checking on multiple maps to make sure the routes good. I quite recommend it if you can be bothered as the planning can be a ton of fun

e: recommend viewranger as it comes with so many maps but i think the company behind it are gonna kill it soon. they've merged with some other 'social' app which is tourism focused instead of navigation.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 9, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i learnt my lesson and now if a lock starts loving up it goes in the bin (or gets replaced) not fun having to get someone to come cut your stuck lock in town

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Put a couple drops of chain lube down the keyhole and the shackle holes. I had this problem over 10 years ago, asked at my LBS and this immediately fixed it. I haven't had and problems since even with regular use. Any decent lock should last longer than you.

That wasn't the problem. Mechanism was hosed but to be fair it wasn't a decent lock.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m looking at getting a Mag Tank or similar for my bikepacking/touring bike, which has both derailleur cables routed on the top of the top tube. There’s about 3” of housing at the front and rear of the tube, otherwise it’s just exposed cables.

What’s the best way to set this up so I don’t have a bag squished down on the exposed cable section? I could run full housing but the cable stops aren’t designed for that so it’d look ugly. Small piece of thin foam with channels for the cables that I could clamp the bag down on?

You could go for double stem bags instead

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I did 380km bike tour a few weeks ago along the Caledonian way in Scotland which is rad. I'm incredibly jealous of someone getting to ride bikes for months!

I hope to do a 3 week off road tour soonish though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Driver did a runner and my buddy couldn’t catch him, but he flagged people down coming the other way asking if they had a dash cam and one of them offered to chase the van driver down. We got a photo of the plate, couldn’t get through to the police but reported it online and are waiting for a callback.

Id be amazed if police do anything. I've stood in the police station and refused to leave to get them to file a report on a driver who hit me. Never heard anything back.

Also reported someone putting down booby traps on my street for cyclists and had the same "we don't give a crap" response. I think you'd have to actually be killed/seriously injured and police to be called to the scene of the accident for them to even consider doing anything.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Do we know about the hilarious new EU law which will put speed limiters tied into satellites, which will automatically turn down engines to the speed limit, on all new cars?

Happy Sunday Morning!

Does it adjust for the speed limit? It geniunely be nice if cars could only do 20 on 20 roads

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ride the one which is your favourite colour

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

waterproof over shorts are great but inexplicably hard to find to the point where you might have to take a pair of scissors to some waterproof trousers.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wooger posted:

Skin is waterproof. Unless it’s really cold I’d rather cycle with shorts and dry off later.

How hard can you cycle before getting sweaty in waterproofs anyway?

For touring. It be utter mad to let yourself get soaking wet then have to get back into those soaking wet clothes the next day and potentially even dangerous unless you live in a very pleasant climate.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aren't 24oz bottles quite small? just get big liter ones if you can fit them

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Do you just swim in your chamois or bring trunks with you? There's a few places around here I could bike to and swim but I've always put it off because I don't want to carry trunks and a lock.

just go naked and bring the bike with you

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I've found that a lot of the red rear lights for commuting have the blinking setting as the first one when you turn it on, so I assume most people just turn it on once and leave it there. Still dumb though.

To be fair the blink has a ton of extra battery life vs it being on all the time. I think it's something crazy like 10+ hours extra on my lights but they're just little lights to be seen and aren't making GBS threads out super high lumens.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've had beautiful luck. I ordered a new wheel with a 142mm hub with the intention of swapping caps to make it 135mm QR and it came already setup like that :) it went up tubeless first time and isn't leaking at all. The bicycle gods are smiling down upon me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If I don't have a bell I slow down and say hello to people and then pass them when they notice me. Nothing worst than some wanker squeezing past pedestrians at 15-20mph on a shared path. Like go bike on the road pal.

Course, you also get pedestrian wankers who whine at you for not having a bell even though I said hello and waiting for there to be room to pass. AND if I remember my bell I've had people complain at me for ringing at them.

Everyone sucks!!! Ahhhhhggghhhh

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 29, 2021