Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bikes are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat quick release skewers. 5 miles into the ride and this creak starts and I could have sworn it was the BB30 bracket finally needing maintenance.

Got home and it was the skewers needing greased again. I don’t think I ever greased the skewers on my synapse but I’ve done it three times on the CAAD12. It’s more humid where I moved but I’m not riding in the rain-I can’t think of any other reason why I have to grease them more frequently.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BeastPussy posted:

Same problem here but I have a question: what part of the skewers did you grease?

I just replaced the BB with a WheelsMFG thread-together and found out it was my skewers the whole time but now it's starting up again when I'm out of the saddle or putting power down when climbing.

Just the threaded piece and then the piece next to the QR lever. So I didn’t grease the shaft itself.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How about any white bar tape that resists dirt the best?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Skarsnik posted:

Can someone remind me what tape code name I'm searching for that works really well as a tubeless rim tape?

5 Roll High Temp Masking Tape Kit for Powder Coating, Painting, Hydrodip, Sublimation - Green Polyester 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" & 1" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCBIX1A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IApCFb8VPKN3B

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What about waving them around you or slowing down a bit?

I’m a guy and people have drafted off me for a bit. It pisses me off mainly because a safety concern because I don’t know how good a rider they are and they don’t know how horrible of a rider I am, but I usually just slow down and see if they pass me. I’ve never waved them around but maybe that would work?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sat on my keys! posted:

I kept slowing down and he would slow down with me. I confess I didn't do the wave by because I really didn't want to interact with the guy, I just wanted him to get my (implicit) hint to leave me alone. If it were just a few blocks I wouldn't care, I've done that too, but this went on for miles.

Yeah that’s loving weird. I think if I was riding behind you I’d get the loving hint and just pass.

Whenever I’m coming up on someone I always take a minute to gauge if I can actually pass them and stay ahead of them. If I’m barely holding on or figure I’ll have to go balls out to drop them, then I usually just back off a bit and let them go. I feel weird as gently caress riding behind someone and pacing them when I don’t know them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Time posted:

Talk to me about oval chainrings. Are they legit or a gimmick that looks bad

I mean, if they were legit, wouldn’t every bike come with them?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

Still needs a couple of things but here she is. Overall the build went pretty smoothly. All that’s left is the rear brake cable was too short, rear HY/RD caliper didn’t fit so it’s getting a spyre in the rear, rear derailleur Di2 cable was too short, add sealant and air up the tires, and wrap the bars.

What frame is that

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

lmao

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does that prematurely kill the starter?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Clark Nova posted:

otoh it’s a great opportunity to launch into a rambling fifteen minute diatribe explaining toe clips to your grandchildren

My wife “corrected” me on the term during our first date because she had done some biking and I was telling her about the new bike I had just bought. I said clipless shoes and she said “nono-you want shoes that can clip!” I’m glad I kept my mouth shut because it worked out in the end.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That super 33+ tape is on sale for $3 a roll

Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape, 3/4 in x 66 ft, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WCCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9CND2GSHKK9697TCF40M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

Bikes good

Well these pics just want me to have you take Mr. Wood gravel riding now

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

TTrash made its competition debut yesterday with a 20k TT

Finished in 27:22 and won overall out of 19 entries, and second overall on the course segment. :toot:

This is the last 20ft or so before the finish, feel my death :3:

Nice.

That’s crazy you won by 2 minutes but came in second on the segment. How far behind were you from #1?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

https://www.strava.com/segments/20805306

1:01 behind the KOM, I think I'll be able to get it with a bit more favorable conditions. I guess the winds were opposite of what they usually are there, it's usually finishing with a tailwind.

I’m an idiot-I thought that was just a segment made for that day-not an all-time record.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

French Canadian posted:

Rival AXS just dropped so maybe speed holes can be averted?

Nice.

Is there a huge difference between the available 48/35 chainring compared to what I normally use at 50/34 for road use? Seems like they’re mainly trying to target gravel but what do I know.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I've debated getting an ultrasonic. What's it like with managing the solvent or cleaning fluid? Do you need to swap it out every time? Is it safe to dispose down the drain?

I just use water and a drop or two of dawn soap.

I’ve always put it down the drain and never thought of it but tbh I’m not sure on what my bike lube is made of, if that were to make a difference.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cafe kit and the Estrella bike are two of my favorite things I’ve seen on this forum-good job trying something new!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Unsinkabear posted:

Circling back to this because both this thread and the car-buying thread seem to be in agreement that hitch racks are the best way to live life, so now I somehow find myself excited to put a hitch on my coupe? :psyduck:

Anyway, the only info I could turn up about insurance policies being invalidated by hitches seems to be UK-specific, so I'm hoping it's a regional thing. Has anyone heard of this happening with providers in the States?

E: also I can skip the wiring harness if I'm just using the hitch to haul bikes, right? Could I theoretically add one myself later if I needed it? Because dang, does that add a lot of money to a Uhaul installation.

You don’t need a wiring harness for a hitch rack. You need those for a trailer if you want your cars lights to work with the lights on the trailer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have experience with the seasucker bike racks?

Kimbo-I thought you had one some time ago.

I’ve got a sedan I’d rather not put a hitch on so am wondering about this. It could be for 30-60 minute trips and possibly a multi day trip. Road bike use only.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

Do it, you won't regret it. :getin:

Note: your bike may not have the same components as e.pilot’s.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

It was still hella good with the 1x 105/GRX mashup.

Nah I know I just love your setup.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sab0921 posted:

Had a very lovely ride this morning. Expected to have a 40ish mile ride that would get the heart rate up.

However, my friend's wife came along on her e-bike, which was ostensibly bought so she could try and keep up, she also brought a friend.

She had battery anxiety the whole time and was worried and wanted to chat. So we had a 20 mile ride at 10 mph.

Normally that's fine if that's what you're expecting to do, a slow leisurely ride with friends, grabbing coffee and breakfast along the way. However, that's not what I expected at all - kind of salty about it (possibly because I'm not literally salty from sweat).

Wtf is battery anxiety? Like she thought the battery would die so she didn’t want to push it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sab0921 posted:

It's this, with the worry that if the battery dies she has a 55 lb bike to get home.

Ah ok.

TIL that ebikes are heavy and have poo poo range.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ll be moving next year and I don’t really trust the movers to move my bikes.

My car doesn’t have a hitch and I very rarely pack my bike to take somewhere else and ride it-I normally just leave from home. So I don’t see the value in adding a hitch.

I’ve got 3 road bikes and it will likely be at least a 2 day trip, possibly 4 days.

What’s the best bang for the buck option? A saris bones rack 3? It’s going on a Lexus sedan so I don’t want to scratch it up.

My wife has a RAV4 without a hitch but that could be another option.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Cross town or long distance? If they don't fit in a RAV4 you can rent a uhaul pickup and some moving blankets for way less than a rack depending on mileage.

It’s a military move-long distance. We’ve got two kids and a cat so both cars will be packed to the brim.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Could also get them boxed up to ship and then put them in the moving van

Only lovely thing with this sometimes is they need to check the contents before they’ll move it so sometimes they put things back in the box pretty lovely.

Worst case is when it’s not being moved directly from point A to point B…which is most of the time. They load like 4 families houses in a big truck and then it gets unloaded and loaded once again before it finally gets to your new house.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nothing to do about it now, Kimbo.

More info is always welcomed, so if you’re playing the hindsight game, maybe ask if she’s ok and go from there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

i am old, fat and my back hurts. I am just happy to take the bike on route i would not usually take and just be able to finish

I think you’re maybe looking more at rides than races, to be honest. Look up a metric century in your area and go for that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Salt Fish posted:

If you need to chug a gram of salt I can endorse V8 tomato juice. They sell it in mini cans for your jersey pockets.

Mmm warm tomato juice on a 90 degree ride.

:barf:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Uh time for another military move next summer and Petaluma, CA is at the top of my list.

Seems like awesome cycling, but….you guys sure seem to get a lot of fires. Coming from New England and now DC, am I overreacting or is it something to consider maybe not putting on my list?

Pros : biking, weather, food

Cons: smoky, unbreathable air with a chance of mudslides?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Congratulations on maybe going to the best training center base.

I was in petaluma and later lives in the bay area but i didnt care about bikes back then, but there is a hella lot of poo poo you can do with road bikes, gravel bikes and mountain bikes.

Eh we’ll see-trying to short tour based on promotion but they might tell me to gently caress off and keep me in DC another year.

Only thing I’m worried about, besides my house burning down and insane cost of everything, is the infamous Sonoma aroma, but it can’t be that bad? Never been there, just been to Yorktown more times than I can count.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 8, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

I would be more worried about a rolling coal lifted pickup truck blowing its fumes at me.

So it’s just like Yorktown.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I've done a century on 2 800ml bottles before without stopping, but that was a) in spring and b) a bit too far

How did you ride 5+ hours without stopping to pee?

….

You didn’t pee, right? Or was this on a tri-bike?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on the used market.

I bought my wife a 2017 cannondale supersix (same one as this link: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3066731/)

She’s literally gone outside twice with it and used it on the trainer maybe 25 times.

We’re selling it for a peloton because that’s what she wants.

In like new condition, BBB says it’s worth about $1350. Is that taking current market conditions into account or do you think we could get more? I’m in northern Virginia for reference.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kimbo305 posted:

I think you could get a bit more. Wouldn't hurt to get a quote from The Pro's Closet, for the lower limit on what you could get.
Though I feel at 1350, you'll be able to sell it pretty fast, too.

Pros closet only offered $940 for it-yikes.

Luckily plenty of people are interested in it for $1400.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s NaN mean when someone lists a bike for sale?

They are usually saying “ridden NaN miles”.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there much of a markup on used bikes right now?

Thinking of selling my road bike because I never ride outside (2 young kids, no free time, lovely area to ride). I was using a trainer with Zwift but my wife got a peloton and I’ve just been using that-the thirty minute workouts are fine for me. I’ll probably sell my H1 hammer trainer as well.

It’s a caad12 rim brake with 105, cannondale spiderings, and some Ultegra wheels with PowerTap p1 pedals.

I was going to hold on to it until I move, but I know im eventually going to upgrade to a disc brake carbon fiber bike, so I figured I might as well sell now and take advantage of any markups in the used market if they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

lol

lmao

?