Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
God help me, I'm thinking of getting back in to this dumb hobby after being away from it for...6-7 years? My last bike was a CAAD10 that I ended up building up with Force/Rival. Looking forward to figuring out what electric shifting is like.

I'm thinking of being a giant stereotype and buying a Tarmac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

serious gaylord posted:

Look at this scrub who only wants electronic shifting. Why not wireless? HMMM

Isn't electronic all wireless these days? Or was there that first get DA version wired?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tarmacs are generally very good bikes, and the current one is a standout race bike. It's a bit of a harsher ride than others, so be prepared unless that's a thing you like

I used to ride an aluminum CAAD10. Looking forward to trying carbon!

spf3million posted:

Come dentist it up with us homie

:getin:

I'm going to hit up a bike shop today to check how long it takes to order a bike. Are things still a disaster?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Disaster" is really variable. Also before ordering make sure you get a bike fit! No point in having a 10k bike if it's not comfortable to ride.

SRAM have a patent on batteries on derailleurs, which mean that Campy and Shimano both need battery units external to the front/rear mechs. Shimano have gotten around this by doing "semi wireless", which is that the battery and the front and rear mechs form a little circuit, and the shifters are powered by coin batteries (like the SRAM ones are) and they communicate with the rear mech.

Yup. I rode my friend’s aethos (conveniently a 54, my size) and loved it.

Salt Fish posted:

For 10k go to Wisconsin and make waterford measure you and make a frame to fit.

You can’t make me go back to Wisconsin. When I’m ready for my old man bike I’ll drive to steamboat.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like I may be able to get the Tarmac I'm looking for shipped to a Bikesource near me. :toot:

No reason to wait for a 2023 right? Are they coming soon?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Praise Jesus, I think they're going to be able to transfer/sell me the bike I want from across the country. :toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hell yeah, my bike finally came in/I was able to pick it up from Specialized! Super pumped to get back to road riding after being away from it for a few years. Not sure I'm going to get back to crits/road racing, but I can't wait to check out some of the awesome terrain around Colorado.

:toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’m looking at bike computers. I’ve used garmins in the past, but it looks like wahoo is the other major option these days. Is there any reason not to get a wahoo if I use a garmin watch for running? Or is there any reason not to get a garmin if I’m thinking of getting a kickr trainer for zwift/training peaks?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you're in the Garmin ecosystem with a watch for running / general tracking, then you should stay in the Garmin ecosystem.

Hrm. Wondering which way to go since a friend loves his wahoo. Isn’t the 530 getting pretty old?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shadowhand00 posted:

Agreed with Tobin - if you already have a Garmin watch, literally no reason to not get a Garmin GPS unit. Also, getting a Garmin watch won't prevent you from using the trainers, etc. Its mostly all integrated so it doesn't really matter (you're also likely not going to be running the GPS unit while doing a trainer workout.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I wasn't sure if there was any advantage to getting the computer if I was also thinking of getting the trainer. Garmin it is!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is buying a used Kickr a good/bad idea? I'm assuming that many of them are in pretty decent shape. Anything in particular to look out for? If I stick to the new-ish 2020 v5 version I should be okay, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Not sure if this is the trainer thread, but it looks like the Zwift hub is finally available/for sale.

I need a new trainer for the winter and I think I'm going to keep an eye out for the previous gen Kickr v5 to go on sale. They were down to $600-700 on sale previously I think.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

Snagged one this morning to try and rebuild my cycling life over winter.

Reviews are saying it does everything you expect, though accuracy on the power meter might be off by a few. I can live with that, especially considering the price.

Apparently they were sold out before the in stock emails went out, even.

I think I'm going to get either a Kickr core refurb or a Kickr v5/v6. It'd be nice to find a gently used one, but people seem to be asking silly money for them on FB/CL.

What's fair for a used V5/V6?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/indoor-cycling/bike-trainers/reconditioned-kickr-buy

Does Wahoo typically do decent black friday deals?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Isn't saris going bankrupt? Why get an h3 if they won't be around?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Paid for a Retul fit with a top rated fitter here. 1.5-2 hours of fitting and :homebrew: boiled down to:

1. Raising my seat by 5mm.
2. Tilting my seat back by 1 degree
3. Putting a shim in my right shoe.

Can't wait to ride a pass tomorrow!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Almost 4k feet climbing today!

I learned:
1. I need to find my arm warmers.
2. Coming down 4k feet is nerve-wracking.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Squaw Pass is so good.

Thanks for the suggestion! The way up involved only one group of assholes (with Illinois plates) yelling, but was otherwise smooth sailing. I thought I'd be fine in a short sleeve jersey since it was supposed to be 60 in Denver, but ended up being a bit chilly on the descent. :v:

It is making me think about doing the Triple Bypass next summer with a friend.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 16, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

i talked poo poo about zwift in the past based on my low effort attempt at indoor riding a few years ago but faced with the prospect of riding in the cold, wet and dark PNW over the next 7 months of misery weather i went and got a tacx

and i gotta admit i was wrong and riding indoors aint that bad

I'm waiting to see if there are any sales for black friday. Looks like rain/snow started in Denver today. :negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Anachronist posted:

You mean rain/snow started in Denver today and ski season is rapidly approaching :woop:

Plus the forecast for the next week is sunny and 60s in town so not much to complain about imo

On the one hand yes.

On the other hand, I have an 8 month old now and something tells me my wife is going to look upon me going skiing on Thursday instead of going to music class...poorly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there some magic place where I can get a 12 speed SRAM AXS road cassette for cheap trainer duty?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

:sigh:

$132 for a rival cassette?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

osker posted:

plus the XDR free hub

:argh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

ModernBike will save $7!

What size cassette do you need? I have a first gen Force cassette I’d sell for cheap. It’s the all black version so it’s quite noisy but if you’re using it for a trainer with fans and maybe headphones it’d probably be tolerable.

Nah, I’m ok. I’m just used to finding deals on cassettes and chains from the last time I had a road bike, which was the ten speed days. Seems like the 12 speed axs stuff is pricey, unlike my bike which was very cheap! i wonder if my wife believes me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally going to get some sort of indoor cycling setup as a more serious alternative to FTP training on our Peloton, which my wife and I both use. Some quick questions:

1. Any thoughts on the Kickr Core, on sale for $699 vs the Kickr V5 for $799? Seems like the V6 isn't really worth the extra cash over the V5.
2. Wild card option: the Kickr Bike is on sale for $1999, and part of me is considering just going for it, if only to save my Tarmac from indoor riding, but I should probably make absolutely sure I'm actually going to be in to TR/Zwift as much as I think I am.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

I personally think the Power Zone classes on Peloton are great. There are lots of reasons to want a different setup, but I don't think "more serious" is one of them.

That said, if you want to play around with Zwift and TR, and have power meter pedals, you can put those on your Peloton bike and likely use either of those apps.

Oh yeah, they're fantastic. The reasons I want to at least buy a trainer are to:

1. Increase the accuracy of my FTP intervals between indoors and outdoors. We have an original Peloton bike and at some point, we'll upgrade to the one with the better powermeter.
2. Give training with TR a shot. I'm lazy and do a bad job of planning training cycles/difficult workouts over a month. My understanding is that TR takes that away from me and does periodization for me.
3. It's cold, I don't feel like running, and some mornings my wife is on the Peloton and we both have to be at work early.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LordOfThePants posted:

Do this. A bunch of us have them. I’d wait to see if they do a BF special, you might get a free mat or something.

Why the sb20 over the kickr, especially for essentially the same price?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I got an awesome deal on some closeout S-Works 7 shoes and I friggin' love them. The power transfer feels much better as compared to my 10 year old Sidis. :toot:

Also Santa is bringing me a Kickr!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A SRAM Rival XG-1250 12-Speed Cassette Silver, 10-36T

will work just fine as a kickr cassette with my currently Force AXS 10-33T bike right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Depends if your Force RD is the 33t or 36t max, although apparently you can crank the b-screw in all the way and make it work for the former. You might also need a new chain depending on how your current chain is sized.

Oh that’s helpful. 10-30T cassette would be fine though?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

From a RD perspective, yes. Any reason you don’t want to just have the same size cassette so you don’t have to mess with b screw adjustment?

I don’t think rival comes in a 10-33 size, only force. Should I just get the force cassette? If I don’t will I have to mess with things?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TobinHatesYou posted:

You probably won’t have to mess with b-adjustment. You might have to microadjust your cage position anyway though since it’s likely your trainer’s cassette will be minimally offset just because.

If you encounter lazy shifting, then yeah, you might have to turn the b-adjustment screw out/CCW a bit.

Gotcha. Sounds like if I really wanted to keep things easy, I should just get the exact same cassette?

Or just gotten the stupid kickr bike.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Kickr v5 is on the way, but a 1 year old kickr bike just popped up locally for $1500. Would anyone go for that deal?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bicievino posted:

I wouldn't buy a wahoo product without warranty

Yeah that’s a concern for me too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bicievino posted:

I wouldn't buy a wahoo product without warranty

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that’s a concern for me too.

Although I may check it out this afternoon. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Although I may check it out this afternoon. :ohdear:

:getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got my indoor setup up and running and did my first FTP ramp test. Decided to give that a shot instead of doing the full 20 min FTP test as I did on Peloton. Came pretty close, so I'm ready to go with TR/Zwift.

How well does importing workouts in to TR work from Strava? ie, if I do a Zone 2 workout in Zwift, will TR allow me to import that/take it into account for training?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Got my indoor setup up and running and did my first FTP ramp test. Decided to give that a shot instead of doing the full 20 min FTP test as I did on Peloton. Came pretty close, so I'm ready to go with TR/Zwift.

How well does importing workouts in to TR work from Strava? ie, if I do a Zone 2 workout in Zwift, will TR allow me to import that/take it into account for training?

First TR ride in the bag. Honestly, erg mode + TR workouts feel like cheating. It takes care of all of the periodization over the weeks that I'm too lazy to consistently do, and it boils it down to "hit go, start pedaling, follow the blue line." I know I'm going to hate this in a few weeks but until then it's incredible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Did you do a TR plan or just individual workouts?

Some of the TR plans have some interesting choices, like burying you under an avalanche of sweet spot

I started the TR plan. We'll see how it goes for a few weeks!

Funny enough, workout 1 this morning was sweet spot.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Albinator posted:

I always found the first few weeks of a TR plan were fine but I have a low tolerance for more than 45m on the trainer and would bail on the later parts of the plan because it was asking for an hour plus. But I am fat now, I should get back to it.

It’s giving me 90 minutes on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. :negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crumps Brother posted:

The experimental plans have some fun weekends scheduled in them.

Unless the weather is total poo poo I just wing a z2 ride outside instead.

My wife would murder me during hour 3 I think.

That’s why I do long rides on my day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Weird question: I tried using trainerroad on my phone but I had this weird issue where the power would go up to the goal, then drop, Over and over. I looked and my laptop was still running tr. when I quit the program on my laptop my phone was fine and tr behaved normally in erg mode. Sounds like both were trying to connect I guess? Even though I wasn’t running a workout on my laptop?